ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Tracker

for reference ...
Steve Stinson JR - 2023 6'5" SG with offers from VCU, VT, and others
Dennis Parker JR - 2023 6'6" SF with offers from VCU, NC State, Florida, LSU, VT, Rutgers, Ole Miss, Penn State
Damon Thompson JR - 2024 5'11" PG (but frm the picture that would make Parker about 6'10"! ... just a freshman though). early offers from GW and NJIT.
Dominique Bailey - 2024 ... says 6'2". early Radford offer.
Tyler Mason 2023 2023 6'10" PF (so maybe Parker is bigger than 6'6"!) with offers from Xavier, Wichita St, DePaul, Radford, Seton Hall, etc.)

Ant Davis taking official visits to Fairfield and Radford. We hosted him for an unofficial a few months ago, but looks like all of his offers are still lower level.
Davis is headed to Fairfield.

especially impressive list for a 2* kid, --- one more example of how unreliable the rating system is

We're showing interest in Lukas Gudavicius out of Lithuania, currently prepping in CT. Offers from Maryland, Seton Hall, Hofstra, and Southern Utah. Looks to be a 6'9" wing.
We never offered, and Lukas has just committed to Bethune-Cookman.

for reference ...
Steve Stinson JR - 2023 6'5" SG with offers from VCU, VT, and others
Dennis Parker JR - 2023 6'6" SF with offers from VCU, NC State, Florida, LSU, VT, Rutgers, Ole Miss, Penn State
Damon Thompson JR - 2024 5'11" PG (but frm the picture that would make Parker about 6'10"! ... just a freshman though). early offers from GW and NJIT.
Dominique Bailey - 2024 ... says 6'2". early Radford offer.
Tyler Mason 2023 2023 6'10" PF (so maybe Parker is bigger than 6'6"!) with offers from Xavier, Wichita St, DePaul, Radford, Seton Hall, etc.)
Steve Stinson’s father played high school basketball for me. Are we recruiting him? I like his game as well as his academics.

Signee
- Michael Walz (PF/C: Conestoga HS, Berwyn, PA)

Offers
- Madison Durr (PG: Hargrave, Atlanta, GA) - (Offered in 2021 before he reclassified) UAB, Elon, Siena, FGCU, North Alabama

- Asher Woods (CG: Parkview HS, Lilburn, GA)

- Darren Buchanan (SF: Woodrow Wilson HS, Washington, DC) - X, VCU, Seton Hall, Rutgers, Bona, and more
- Aaron Lemon-Warren (SF: Archbishop Ryan HS, Philadelphia, PA) - Penn State, SLU, Bowling Green, Drexel - Reclassified from 2021, UR interest unlikely

- Jameel Brown (SG: Haverford School, Philadelphia, PA) - Penn State
- Rodney Rice (PG: DeMatha HS, Clinton, MD) - Virginia Tech
- Justin Taylor (SG: St. Anne's-Belfield, Charlottesville, VA) - Syracuse
- Tyler Nickel (SF: East Rockingham HS, Elkton, VA) - UNC
- Alphonzo Billups III (SG: Varina HS, Richmond, VA) - VCU
- Rowan Brumbaugh (PG: Northfield Mount Hermon, Washington, DC) - Texas
- Maliq Brown (PF: Blue Ridge School, St. George, VA) - Syracuse
- Robbie Avila (PF: Oak Forest HS, Oak Forest, IL) - Indiana State
- Luke Hunger (PF: Northfield Mount Hermon, Montreal, QC) - Northwestern

- Solomon "Solo" Ball (PG: St. James School, Lovettsville, VA) - VCU, GW, St. Joe's
- Trevor Smith (PG: Woodside HS, Newport News, VA) - Wake, South Carolina, Georgetown, VCU, Depaul, and more

- Curtis Blair (SG: Steward School, Richmond, VA) - Florida, Virginia Tech, Liberty
- Jamie Kaiser, Jr. (SG: Bishop Ireton HS, Burke, VA) - Creighton, VCU, Yale, and more

- Horace Simmons (SF: La Salle College HS, Wyndmoor, PA) - Marquette, St. Joe's, Penn, Albany, Drexel

- Carter Lang (PF: St. Anne's

Signee
- Michael Walz (PF/C: Conestoga HS, Berwyn, PA)

Offers
- Madison Durr (PG: Hargrave, Atlanta, GA) - (Offered in 2021 before he reclassified) UAB, Elon, Siena, FGCU, North Alabama

- Asher Woods (CG: Parkview HS, Lilburn, GA)

- Darren Buchanan (SF: Woodrow Wilson HS, Washington, DC) - X, VCU, Seton Hall, Rutgers, Bona, and more
- Aaron Lemon-Warren (SF: Archbishop Ryan HS, Philadelphia, PA) - Penn State, SLU, Bowling Green, Drexel - Reclassified from 2021, UR interest unlikely

- Jameel Brown (SG: Haverford School, Philadelphia, PA) - Penn State
- Rodney Rice (PG: DeMatha HS, Clinton, MD) - Virginia Tech
- Justin Taylor (SG: St. Anne's-Belfield, Charlottesville, VA) - Syracuse
- Tyler Nickel (SF: East Rockingham HS, Elkton, VA) - UNC
- Alphonzo Billups III (SG: Varina HS, Richmond, VA) - VCU
- Rowan Brumbaugh (PG: Northfield Mount Hermon, Washington, DC) - Texas
- Maliq Brown (PF: Blue Ridge School, St. George, VA) - Syracuse
- Robbie Avila (PF: Oak Forest HS, Oak Forest, IL) - Indiana State
- Luke Hunger (PF: Northfield Mount Hermon, Montreal, QC) - Northwestern
Is this really all we have going on the 2022 recruiting trail? Sheesh.

Is this really all we have going on the 2022 recruiting trail? Sheesh.
It sounds like the Spiders are looking to the transfer portal now to fill a spot or spots. The possibility of multiple players could be why Matt Grace does not appear to be “all in” on a return based on the RTD article.

I am concerned that Grace, Sal, Gus and Burton will all leave. We will go from
the oldest to the youngest.

Let a new coach mold the young guys into contenders!!
You discount that most of the younger guys will leave if we fire our coach, particularly with how easy it is to transfer now. If we fire Mooney — and I think we should — we will be rebuilding for the next 2-3 years minimum.

You discount that most of the younger guys will leave if we fire our coach, particularly with how easy it is to transfer now. If we fire Mooney — and I think we should — we will be rebuilding for the next 2-3 years minimum.
We will be rebuilding regardless. After a decade absence from the ncaas one might argue we’ve been in near constant rebuilding mode anyway.

Touché.
Though I think Nelson has the type of potential to turn the ship around. I’d hate to lose him.
I wouldn’t presume if CM leaves that you lose all his guys. My guess is someone like Nelson may want to play close to home and that factored into his decision to go to UR.

But all of this is a bunch of noise because Hardt has shown no ability to make the tough call with our two revenue sport coaches in spite of a mountain of evidence that they’re not likely to produce any kind of postseason opportunities.

Last edited:
Reactions: Long Island Spiders
What a joke. If you get rid of Mooney, guys may want to stay and play for an incoming winning coach. The guys that would leave are likely Mooney style "winning" players so what. Bring in a young dynamic coach and the best players stay. Point two, if you are talking about a 2 to 3 year rebuild in the current college climate, that is a terrible terrible Mooney like attitude. Again, a dynamic coach can bring in 2 to 3 top level a10 players from the portal. We have been trained to think old losing ways by Mooney.

Of course, if Mooney is gone and Jabba is in charge we could have a clausen/mooney/Davis type coach so we are going to be rebuilding in a few years any way.

What a joke. If you get rid of Mooney, guys may want to stay and play for an incoming winning coach. The guys that would leave are likely Mooney style "winning" players so what. Bring in a young dynamic coach and the best players stay. Point two, if you are talking about a 2 to 3 year rebuild in the current college climate, that is a terrible terrible Mooney like attitude. Again, a dynamic coach can bring in 2 to 3 top level a10 players from the portal. We have been trained to think old losing ways by Mooney.

Of course, if Mooney is gone and Jabba is in charge we could have a clausen/mooney/Davis type coach so we are going to be rebuilding in a few years any way.

A coach like George Mason's is exactly what I have in mind and he has done would you are describing here.

Reactions: spider23
Kind of what I figured. A little weird considering we were actively recruiting the spot. Perhaps a credit that they are not digging to the bottom of the barrel.

that's Quint Booker from Bishop Ireton and Team Loaded. 6'2" lefty guard. I don't see any offers yet.

We offered his Ireton teammate Jamie Kaiser back in November.

Given the schools who have contacted him, why would he choose the Spiders?

Hate to say that, but nothing in the last decade would suggest we are are an up and coming program where you can make a name for yourself. Keep Mooney and recruiting is hampered.

Given the schools who have contacted him, why would he choose the Spiders?

Hate to say that, but nothing in the last decade would suggest we are are an up and coming program where you can make a name for yourself. Keep Mooney and recruiting is hampered.
Without doing any research, I would say Richmond is by far the best academic program on the list. Likely matters to somebody coming from Lafayette, unless he is an engineering major and then it wouldn’t make sense.

Georgia Tech?? Come on!!
Yes, really, different type of school, but pretty hard to get into. This ranking has it above us, just like I don't have time to pull up Coach K's shenanigans, I think I have some pretty solid data on this one. I did not know much about it until my daughter was going through application process, and pretty sure it is hard to get into and very well though of - for engineering anyway.

Reactions: GKiller
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT