ADVERTISEMENT

Rowan Brumbaugh - 2022 Offer

^^^Actually thinking that may be a mistake. Rowan has tweeted about all of his other offers, but not this one. He did retweet his teammate Avery Brown's offers from SLU and St. John's, so I suspect these recruiting folks got confused.

kid's going to make a run at the record number of offers.

btw ... looked him up on verbalcommits. anyone else notice that Bryant University offers about 700 kids each year? they're everybody's first offer. not sure what the strategy is there. nobody jumps on the offer. do you even go public with how blessed you are to get an offer from Bryant University? the whole universe of high school basketball players would be like "yeah, we all are". it's like a sigh of relief when you get that offer in your sophomore year. nobody else will ever offer if you don't get it. "jeez, this kid hasn't even been offered by Bryant!".

Reactions: plydogg
We don't seem to be in hot pursuit of Rowan at this point.

Still, six programs are working the hardest in his recruitment. Princeton, George Washington, William & Mary, Georgetown, Davidson, and Georgia Tech.

On Thursday, Brumbaugh is set to have a Zoom call with the entire Penn staff,. He plans to conduct a call with Wisconsin sometime in the near future, but “no date has been scheduled yet.”

Once COVID-19 clears up, Brumbaugh wants to visit Belmont and Wisconsin when the protocols allow.

• Sad
Reactions: plydogg
Brumbaugh has picked up offers from Seton Hall and Mississippi State this week.

New interview as well…our offer is mentioned in the article, but he doesn’t list us in the interview section.

When the bigger schools get involved, like they have with Brumbaugh, I don't like our chances. I feel like the majority of our players are either under-recruited players where we are one of their higher program offers, or we are offering with other mid-major and A10 caliber programs with maybe a few P5 programs. I don't think we ever win recruiting battles like this with so many P5 programs involved.
Not saying you should win those recruiting battles all the time as they are tough to win, but you should probably have a good mix on the team. Maybe a few under recruited types, then a few recruited right on level, and then 1-2 maybe you beat out P5 programs for a recruit.

with so many high major options, he might be one of the few NMH kids that doesn't go Ivy. but I wouldn't bet against Penn.

If we're going to get to where we want to consistently be, these are the guys we need to win sometimes.

We don't have a great track record, but of course most schools don't...if a guy has 20 offers from solid programs, 19 of them are going to miss out on him. Need to feel like we're at least seriously in the running though and not just a "hope and prayer" offer.

If we're going to get to where we want to consistently be, these are the guys we need to win sometimes.

We don't have a great track record, but of course most schools don't...if a guy has 20 offers from solid programs, 19 of them are going to miss out on him. Need to feel like we're at least seriously in the running though and not just a "hope and prayer" offer.
SF, Agree completely. Been beating this drum for awhile. I feel like Mooney between no winning enough, and his personality - just can't win these battles.

Mooney's friend down the road (or should I say Rhoades :)) just signed a hs recruit that decommitted from Iowa State and had interest from Kansas.

Reactions: Ram Bal
Agreed - your going to lose these battles more than you win them. But I just feel like we never win them. When was the last time we had a recruit - that had solid mid-major offers and a decent amount of P5 offers and we won it?

Almost goes back to our recruiting complaint of trying to get a top 100 recruit - which I don't even think we have even been in the mix for a top 150,

Agreed - your going to lose these battles more than you win them. But I just feel like we never win them. When was the last time we had a recruit - that had solid mid-major offers and a decent amount of P5 offers and we won it?

Almost goes back to our recruiting complaint of trying to get a top 100 recruit - which I don't even think we have even been in the mix for a top 150,
I think our top 2 might be Daon Merritt and ANO.
We have gotten a couple more above 200 and a lot from 200-350 have worked out well.

Inexact science, I know one recruiting service had Daon rated above Chris Paul. Of course that service did have a rep for taking payments for placement.
Obviously this list didn't turn out in this order in hindsight...

Edit: Also just noticed that Peter Thomas and A D Vassallo had the same rating...

Last edited:
CM periodically wins a recruiting battle so he or his staff is somewhat capable but they’re playing a short hand given the lack of postseason presence. If he can fix that he’ll have a chance.

Daon Merritt was the highest rated recruit ever to play at UR like urmite posted. Son's first year at school so I became interested in UR b-ball and saw Daon was even rated #51 on one ranking list with of course LeBron at #1.

Why did Merritt enroll at UR? Could it have been possibly because JW hired his HS coach as an assistant? LOL. JW definitely went outside the box in trying to succeed without crossing the legal line. Maybe he just didn't get caught? Whatever.

Though didn't Mooney get reprimanded for a single inappropriate phone call? Mooney possibly could be too nice of a guy to succeed at UR in today's college basketball game. As much as I want a new Spider b-ball coach won't ever question his integrity. If someone like UR (PQ) kept paying me, can't say I would act any differently than Mooney in saying as little as possible to not damage my position.

Last edited:
When was the last time we had a recruit - that had solid mid-major offers and a decent amount of P5 offers and we won it?
Sal had a bunch of solid mid majors plus Minnesota.
Buck had Va Tech, VCU, UVA, MD, Cinci ...

Was just going to mention Sal, who I think was Mooney's highest ranked recruit ever. Go figure.

I don't think Buck had official offers from all those schools but maybe from a couple and interest from the others.

Was just going to mention Sal, who I think was Mooney's highest ranked recruit ever. Go figure.

I don't think Buck had official offers from all those schools but maybe from a couple and interest from the others.
I didn't think so either, but Rivals is pretty accurate with that stuff:
and verbal commits confirms:

My recollection is that maybe those guys all offered initially but that after he hurt his knee, the offers were pulled, which is in part why we got him.

I agree rankings are not an exact science once you get outside the top 100-150. The difference between player ranked 174 and 265 is probably very minimal. And there is no doubt that a guy ranked 218 could turn into a very good player. But in today's college game and recruiting - if your living by finding "hidden gems", guys under-recruited and ranked low and turn into good players - that is a big gamble.
And I am not saying we have to have a top 25 recruiting class in the country. We just need to out-recruit the other teams in our league, and I can't remember the last time in the preseason polls for A10 rankings, there was talk about our incoming class.
I think you need a mix - you need to find guys on the A10 level of recruiting, find a few hidden gems, but you also need to win every so often - these battles against the big boys. One way to try to do that initially is target local guys and hope you build a relationship early with them. Example that comes to mind is the Berran kid from Collegiate who ended up at Northwestern - I don't even think we were mentioned with him and with him being a local kid, from a private school (like UR) and seems to be interested in academics with choosing Northwestern - I don't even think he took one look at UR. Or the Bamisile kid who just transferred from Tech to GW. I know we had no shot out of HS with him because he was going so high, but not even mentioned at all - and then he transfers - and not mentioned.
And now with the amount of transfers out there, schools like UR will need to dedicate more time to these guys who maybe we have a low shot of getting because if they do decide to transfer in the future - it may payoff to have that relationship in place.
But above all - winning helps. Specifically NCAA Tourney appearances. Kids want to play in March Madness. And our lack of appearances has definetley hurt us a bit and dug a hole.

objectively, we're not going to win recruiting battles for kids with high major offers unless a kid has a good reason to pick UR over those schools. kids can have different reasons, but a big one can be location. I absolutely agree we should always work hard building relationships with VA kids.

My recollection is that maybe those guys all offered initially but that after he hurt his knee, the offers were pulled, which is in part why we got him.
I'm not sure they were pulled. But I would say they were neglected and ignored by the offering institution...

I don't get the frustration about this. This year's incoming class is ranked 4th in the A-10. We beat out Temple and Loyola for Randolph, we beat out Vandy for Nelson, VCU was after Nelson and Noyes, and Dread looks like a good one. Last year, we added Wilson, who was one of our highest ranked recruits ever. and Bailey, who was a decommit from Wake Forest.

An offer list can be just as misleading as a ranking, and lots of times they go together. We often get commits early, and fewer teams offer as a result. By the way, Kevin Anderson was 353 nationally, Justin Harper 537, and their class was ranked 7th in the A-10.

Reactions: spiderman
No doubt recruiting seems to be on the uptick, although it was disappointing to miss out on some of those bigger guys we really going after for 2021.

Mooney definitely had diamond-in-the-rough success early on, but there were some lean years that followed. Has always been mind-boggling how we managed to go backward in recruiting coming off two straight NCAAs including a Sweet Sixteen.

Reactions: spider23
the incoming freshman class hasn't proven anything yet but looks good. I'd say our batting average for finding really good basketball players has been very high the past 5 years.

Reactions: VT4700
the incoming freshman class hasn't proven anything yet but looks good. I'd say our batting average for finding really good basketball players has been very high the past 5 years.
Batting average is good - but is that because we had 3 all A10 players this past year? But the end result was still below average (no NCAA tourney). Wilson and Bailey looked like typical frosh in the limited time we saw them this year - so too early to tell if they turn into good players on an A10 level or not. And unfortunately - with everyone we have returning, the incoming frosh class will not get any minutes this year either.

And unfortunately - with everyone we have returning, the incoming frosh class will not get any minutes this year either.
probably right. but that doesn't mean they aren't good. they'll work hard, learn, lift, get better, get more shots up than they ever have in their lives, and be ready when their opportunity presents.

We need 3 point shooters. If the new guys can make the 3 consistently, they will get minutes.

Reactions: nathanw19
No doubt recruiting seems to be on the uptick, although it was disappointing to miss out on some of those bigger guys we really going after for 2021.

Mooney definitely had diamond-in-the-rough success early on, but there were some lean years that followed. Has always been mind-boggling how we managed to go backward in recruiting coming off two straight NCAAs including a Sweet Sixteen.
Who were the recruiting classes that enrolled in September 2011, 2012, & 2013?

Sparrow & Davis didn't seem to live up to HS expectations...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT