ADVERTISEMENT

Alphonzo Billups - 2022 Offer

In addition to us, he also picked up offers from Ole Miss, JMU, App State, and Murray State today.

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/alphonzo-billups-iii

If anyone is curious about the flurries of offers for Rodney and Alphonzo...today is the first day coaches are allowed to communicate directly with 2022s. Communication until now has been indirect through AAU/HS coaches.

Offers on this one seem to be all over the place. Some high majors mixed in with some really low majors

Our best recruiter here will be Nelson. I'm sure he's in his ear all the time. Would be a great get and one we really can't let get away.

Reactions: urfan1
Billups is continuing to blow up...offers from Oklahoma State, Pitt, Virginia Tech, and LSU over the past week.

St. John's apparently going down our offer list. A day after offering Maliq Brown, they also offered Billups.

This kid just seems legit to me. I don’t know what it is but I feel like he would be a star in the A10

We're holding the trump card with Nelson already in the fold. We'll see if that's enough to sway Billups. Would be fun to have them both.

Reactions: urfan1
Visits weren’t allowed until three days ago, so it’s still early and he can’t be everywhere at once. That said, an early visit would seem to be a sign of higher interest.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
FACT: The average Spiders Men's Basketball Player makes 197% more $$ over their career(whatever field that leads into) than the average VCU Men's Basketball Player. So choose Richmond.

Disclaimer: The above statement is not rooted in data but rather a subjective guess. Please don't interpret it as a fact, it is not. It is only meant to give Coach Mooney and staff a metric they could research on their own and then use in recruiting, if the said statement proves advantageous to Richmond. It was said by an anonymous poster on a message board and sounds really impactful. But again.....it was made up.

• Haha
Reactions: plydogg
So, become a VCU fan. That will resolve all of your aggravation.
I'd rather take an acid bath. But I can respect the emphasis of winning they put in their program from the top down and the results they have had over the past decade.

And yeah, it is aggravating to have your rival continue to have massive amounts of success while your team does not. That is the nature of sports. I'm not going to abandon my team though, but will continue to call for change because of the past decade of disparity that exists between us and VCU.

Pretty sure Billups is going to go P6 given the offers he’s racking up. No sign that we’re really involved with him, and especially given our emphasis on bigs, I doubt we’re in the mix.

Anyway, he took an unofficial visit to NC State today and picked up an offer.

• Sad
Reactions: plydogg
Billups update from NC State perspective, but some thoughts from him on his top schools, which unsurprisingly don't include UR.

“Definitely got to get back to NC State for my official,” Billups added.

He has already taken an official visit to Pittsburgh. LSU, Oklahoma State and Virginia Tech are others that he has in mind.

“They are being worked out right now,” he added.

Billups is not set on whether to decide in the spring or fall, but he noted he is looking for, “Something that fits me well, and I got a great relationship with the players and coaches.”

Billiups top 6…LSU, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, NC State, Pitt, and VCU.

P6 and then VCU. But this is the type of kid we should at least be in the final conversation with because he is local! I get he is top 150, which is something we rarely pull off. But when you have one in your own backyard - you should be able to make that final list.

P6 and then VCU. But this is the type of kid we should at least be in the final conversation with because he is local! I get he is top 150, which is something we rarely pull off. But when you have one in your own backyard - you should be able to make that final list.

It seems more difficult than you'd think. Even VCU doesn't have a great track record pulling the top local talent. I think for a lot of kids these days it's not as important to "represent your city" and the allure of getting out there and seeing more of the world is too great which I totally understand that aspect.

yeah, a local kid who wants to stay home is the best chance for a top 150 kid. VCU has a shot. I always want to be that option assuming the kid is a fit.

Thats my point Spiderman - we are going to have great difficulty pulling in a top 150 kid from across the country who knows nothing about UR. But a kid who is 20 minutes away - should at least know us, who we are, etc. And of course - the big thing here is winning and NCAA tourney. Which probably hurts us. Not to mention - - VCU having Bones get drafted in first round helps them some more as well.
And it is likely true VCU doesn't have a great track record of getting these guys, but I much rather be in the position of making the final list time after time than not being mentioned at all. Sooner or later you will get one, but if your never mentioned - you never get them.

Last edited:
both UR and VCU are viable choices for a top kid that wants to stay local. VCU has been the more successful program. that's in their favor. but both are seen as programs that can win. both have invested heavily in their program.

but we're very different schools. some kids will 100% prefer a VCU to a UR. others will 100% prefer a UR. I don't think many see them as comparable.

Let's just be real, if your a local kid who is a top 150 player and want to stay local, where are you going. A program that routinely and regularly plays in the NCAA tournament, gets lots of publicity as a result of the former, gets some players drafted in the NBA, or are you going to go to UR?

We have lots of amenities to offer, a superior education to VCU, a fantastic campus and arena both of which are better than VCU's but until we win and go to the NCAA more and elevate our basketball program on par with VCU, those advantages we have in many non-basketball areas are far overshadowed by the fact that VCU wins and wins big.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT