ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Hunger - 2022 Offer/Visit

Highlights:

Says he shoots 42% from three. Pretty darn good for a big man, even considering the closer line.

40-minute interview from a couple days ago:

Last edited:
Reactions: plydogg and urfan1
I like the size and other offers. Glad we could get him in for a visit before he blows up
Looks like a kid we need to sign before he leaves campus. If he does leave and plays out the summer - likely to get and take bigger offers.

Shot is a little funny looking - like he doesn't jump, but seems like a good release and pretty quick. As long as it goes in - all that matters.

Very unlikely that kids will be committing on visits yet given they only just started last week. But obviously great that we were able to get him for an official so early in the cycle...bodes well for his interest.

I assume he will (and he should) take all his visits and go through the process. I don't think anyone would sign in June unless it's to their highest offer.

shot looks great to me. sign me up for 42%. how many good shooting big guys jump much on 3 pointers? easier to be consistent without jumping.

If the kid is on the top of your list, and you really want him - you make the offer before he leaves and ask him to commit. The more this type of kid goes through the process - the more the big boys come in and take him away and we rarely if ever win those battles, but get the kid to commit before he leaves - some (not all) will back off him and go their other choices.

Reactions: urfan1
You can of course ask for a commitment, but no way are you going to back off him if he doesn't. With the recruiting limitations that have been in place, you can't possibly expect a guy to commit to you on the spot at this point.

That said, wondering if there's any competition between Avila and Hunger for a spot, or would we take both big guys? Both are listed as PFs in recruiting databases.

Hunger has the size to be a 5, but highlights show him more as a shooter/driver/roller rather than the offense flowing through him or operating on the block like we'd need. Avila is listed anywhere from 6'6" to 6'9", so would seem to be pretty locked in as a 4, as he's not quick enough to be a 3. Not that there are any positions, I'm told.

We have a max of 5 spots for next year, with Grace, Sal, and Goose potentially using up some of them.

That is the question for the coaching staff on how to handle it. The bigger schools usually bring a guy in and if they like him - they ask, him will you commit now? And if they say no - they usually follow with - Well, that is fine, but we have player X coming to visit in 2 weeks and if he takes it before you - we will take him.

With all the talk on this board of losing guys to bigger schools when they get involved, the one way to beat them - is get the kid before they have a chance to get involved.

I think either could play the 5 for us, but they could also play together.
so I think we'd love both. we need multiple bigs in this class. we have none in the last 3 classes. we need 2 even if Matt and Sal come back for the extra year, which is no guarantee.

I don't understand the "ask for a commitment on the visit" thought. that's just not how it works unless you've got someone else on the hook waiting. it doesn't happen in June.

Absolutely take both if you can get them. Every year it is a struggle to land quality impactful bigs. Both are skilled, they can work together. I would be more worried about our ability to land one of them vs trying to figure out if we can take both. All in all with Maryland game, and two big man visits very good news week for Richmond hoops.

Reactions: urfan1
Just watched the highlights. I like a lot. Quick release, its a little low but absolutely works for a big man as other bigs won't react quick enough on D. Big, strong, athletic, nothing not to like.

I guess my only question is he going to ACC/P5 or IVY? Seems to be the only options for talented bigs from NMH.

Reactions: spiderman
... and he's not afraid to put the ball on the floor and drive if his man gets too close.

Like his build, like his offers, like his videos, like that he got our name right on his tweet. If we want him, I think we have to get him quickly, otherwise one of the big boys are going steal Mooney's lunch money again.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I'd love him to commit today. I hope he says it just felt right. the team felt like family. UR is everything he's wanted.

but thinking like a recruit there's no reason for him to commit right away. he's got interest from Miami, Minnesota, Stanford, Virginia ...
if you were him would you commit to us on your first visit with those names calling?

we need to have a great visit, have him spend quality time with the team, and build a relationship with him. that's all we can do.

Sure doesn’t seem like a player that Richmond typically lands. His shot reminds me of Grant’s to a degree, but Luke shoots a better percentage. Lots of video from the home court and some appeared to be intra-squad scrimmages, but I guess that is the norm for 2020-2021 play.

I'd love him to commit today. I hope he says it just felt right. the team felt like family. UR is everything he's wanted.

but thinking like a recruit there's no reason for him to commit right away. he's got interest from Miami, Minnesota, Stanford, Virginia ...
if you were him would you commit to us on your first visit with those names calling?

we need to have a great visit, have him spend quality time with the team, and build a relationship with him. that's all we can do.
If I were him - of course I would take those visits to other schools like Stanford, UVA, and Minnesota. But if your UR - you have to understand we basically never win those recruiting battles. So if your plan is to sit back and hope he doesn't like Stanford or UVA or Minnesota - that is very wishful thinking.

I am not saying the kid has to commit on his visit - but the question should be asked, the pressure should be put on him and it should let him know how serious we are about him IF the coaching staff believes he is that good. Let him know he is our top priority and you want him NOW. But he also needs to understand - we can't wait forever for him because that puts us behind the 8 ball.

I just think if he steps foot on Stanford campus or UVA - we have already lost. Minnesota I think is too cold.

If I were him - of course I would take those visits to other schools like Stanford, UVA, and Minnesota. But if your UR - you have to understand we basically never win those recruiting battles. So if your plan is to sit back and hope he doesn't like Stanford or UVA or Minnesota - that is very wishful thinking.

I am not saying the kid has to commit on his visit - but the question should be asked, the pressure should be put on him and it should let him know how serious we are about him IF the coaching staff believes he is that good. Let him know he is our top priority and you want him NOW. But he also needs to understand - we can't wait forever for him because that puts us behind the 8 ball.

I just think if he steps foot on Stanford campus or UVA - we have already lost. Minnesota I think is too cold.
Our campus is better than UVA's:) But I guess it is what he is looking for. I went and toured UVA one day and UR the next. After both tours, UR was my number 1, and I didn't even end up applying to UVA. I didn't love UVA's campus, school was too big, impersonal for me.

My wife and daughter did not love UVA campus either, rotunda and corner are cool but other than that agree that UR is nicer. Our campus is actually one of the nicest. The tough sell is conference/competition/TV exposure vs the power conferences.

UVA - campus is nice (even if not as nice as UR the place is not a dump) and you can play in the ACC for a recent national champion, and a team that has been sending guys to the NBA. And its a pretty good acadmic school as well.

Stanford - west coast, so distance could an issue for him. But campus is beautiful, school is regarded as one of the best in the country (its a brand name known everywhere), and you play in the PAC-12 for middle of the pack team right now. I would expect their coach, similar to Mooney - is on the hot or warm seat at this point.
My point is just that we complain on this board we hardly ever compete and win recruiting battles with bigger schools. And of course - I don't expect us to win consistently, otherwise, we would be much better than we are the past 10 years. BUT - if you want to win against the big guys - you got to get these kids early. Get them before the big schools get involved because those schools have other players they are interested in as well and are more likely to move on. UVA is not waiting on Luke Hunger to make a decision. Luke is more likely waiting on them to make a decision. But sell him on the fact he can wrap his decision up now, for a good school, a good program, and be the centerpiece the next 4 years. And he can enjoy his final year with no pressure whatsoever about college because it is done.

My point is just that we complain on this board we hardly ever compete and win recruiting battles with bigger schools. And of course - I don't expect us to win consistently, otherwise, we would be much better than we are the past 10 years. BUT - if you want to win against the big guys - you got to get these kids early. Get them before the big schools get involved because those schools have other players they are interested in as well and are more likely to move on.
Based on the chatter related to the transfer portal, one would think that smaller schools might have a better chance of landing this type of player because the larger school would want to see how the player develops and adapts to the college game and then could lure the player away as a transfer. Of course, CM would bank on keeping any recruits that enter the web…..

I imagine the offer went like I understand most do. The entire staff sits with the family at the end of the weekend visit. They show video of how they'll use him. They talk up all the positives ... the team, the school, the facilities, the weather, the meal plan, the girls, lol. Then they officially offer and let the recruit know how much they really want him here. And then they shut up and just look at the kid in almost uncomfortable silence, forcing the kid to speak next. Hoping he commits. Sound about right, SpiderDad?

And if the kid feels this place is perfect and he's already talked to his parents about it the night before, he might. Or he might have been prepped on how to handle this by his AAU coach or parents, thanking the coaches so much ... we've got a lot to think about and discuss ... etc.

We need bigs and have only offered 2 (I think). I'd bet we made it clear to both Hunger and Avila that they are our priorities, but we will be looking at and offering others at the position. And if anyone takes it, it's gone. That's pretty much how it goes. But we're not going to make any ultimatums.

Hopefully he clicked with the team. That's a huge factor, sometimes more than anything the coaches can do.

In terms of transfer portal - I think it becomes even more important now to recruit kids you know you have no chance at getting. Just so you can build somewhat of a relationship with them, even if small - so if they enter the portal in a year or two, you already have a foot in the door with the kid.

Let's be honest, we have no leverage with a kid like this. If we force him to decide on the spot, he's going to say see ya later. He's got bigger offers. We have to make it clear he's our top priority and wait it out, hoping that he values the chance to make a huge impact here.

The biggest advantage we have over UVA & Stanford is that we’re unlikely to recruit over him…and those schools can. We may lose him but it’s important that we don’t get scared off. Just keep at it and believe we can win. Would certainly help to have a strong year next year.

He is a HS junior, and with the offers and interest he has been able to get lately - I don't see how or why he stays available past this summer. I would venture to say most kids these days commit the summer entering their senior year. Some top 20 kids hold out as they try to figure out professional options and college. And maybe some mid-major guys hold out hoping to catch a late open spot from a P5 program. But I am willing to bet the majority of kids these days, especially on the UR and A10 level - commit before their Senior year begins.

Reactions: plydogg
agreed. it's unlikely he waits unless there's an offer he really wants that he doesn't have and he bets on himself to impress his senior year or waits until schools miss out on their 1st choices. but I think spots will be taken faster than usual this year with less available, so I'd advise kids to commit to good offers this summer.

Eight ... he surprisingly doesn't have many offers yet. just some high level interest. like you said, I think you treat the kid right. no fake pressure. you're honest and clear how much you want him.

a lot kids will wait and take the highest offer no matter what. but not every kid. I know one who was strung along for a while by a couple schools. they liked him but probably had hopes of landing a "reach" kid. another school came in a said he's their #1. he told his AAU coach about the offer and asked for his opinion. coach said hold on. these other schools really like you. I'll let them know what you said and I know they'll offer. kid said no thanks. this school really wants me. I don't want to be someone's 2nd or 3rd choice.

but every kid is different.

The tough sell is conference/competition/TV exposure vs the power conferences.

Great point 23! That's why for UR to win some recruiting battles against P6 schools, they need to play them ala John Chaney. Stronger OOC which we have seen gets the Spiders on national TV. And please no "everyone's scared to play UR talk." Another aspect I feel so important for this season is getting that NCAA bid. Maybe advancing a round or two. So prospects see you're playing competitive schedule and you make the tourney.

Some recruits might be signed by March but with so much volatility with transfers these days I believe enough will hold off on signing. Final Mooney card up his sleeve is with entire starting 5 leaving, immediate playing time. Might be transferring after your frosh year at a P6 school. Do see many players transferring from here? No, like to say it is because of me but they do love being at the U of R for it's total package.

The biggest advantage we have over UVA & Stanford is that we’re unlikely to recruit over him…and those schools can. We may lose him but it’s important that we don’t get scared off. Just keep at it and believe we can win. Would certainly help to have a strong year next year.
Great point. He will get recruited over at those schools. We do need to win these battle more often than we currently do.

we will try to recruit an even better 5 in the next class, just like the P5 teams do. difference is we're unlikely to land a better 5 in the next class!

I wonder if the logjam created by COVID with everyone returning hurts recruiting for us. Just a thought - but you now have a large class entering this year, who normally was expecting everyone to be graduated and competing for time right away. But with COVID - we now have guys returning who normally would have graduated. And I am of the belief those guys coming this year will see little to no time and might even warrant a redshirt if that is the case. So a kid looking to come to UR next year - might be looking at a large class in front of them that they have to compete with.

Why do we try to create a problem when there is none. Some of us are our own worst enemies, ijs.

Last edited:
yeah, even assuming Sal and Matt and Goose come back next year, it's still a pretty great situation for a 4 and a 5 in this upcoming class.

Reactions: gcarter52
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT