ADVERTISEMENT

Robbie Avila - 2022 Offer/Visit

I often wonder how much interest we have with these guys when they don’t even know the proper university name.

Her: “Thanks for asking me to prom Bob!”
Him: “Actually, it’s Dave.”
Yeah, how good of a relationship do we have with a recruit, if he can't even get the name of our school correct is his social media announcement of his excitement.

And why does this keep happening to us?

Reactions: bullfrog91
Yeah, how good of a relationship do we have with a recruit, if he can't even get the name of our school correct is his social media announcement of his excitement.

And why does this keep happening to us?
Agreed 97 and Tbone.

I always think “no chance” as soon as I see the incorrect name.

Agreed 97 and Tbone.

I always think “no chance” as soon as I see the incorrect name.
Yep, me too. Quite obvious the kid is not that interested when he can't even get the school name correct. You would think that since it has happened numerous times when we offer a letter that says if this recruitment is announced that our name is the University of Richmond, not Richmond University. In like big BOLD letters.

Again, it is these little attention to detail things, that our staff consistently doesn't correct. I mean, our coaches should be embarrassed that a kid they just offered, just tweeted something out with the incorrect name of our school. Our athletic director should be embarrassed by that. I guess they aren't though.

offers used to come by mail. now they're made on the phone or zoom or in person. he heard Richmond, guessed RU, and probably knows next to nothing about us. that's obviously not a good sign but he's from Illinois. we haven't danced in forever. where would he hear of us? with the offer in hand I'm sure he'll do a little research.

he's exactly what you'd expect Mooney to look for. he's a typical Richmond big man, assuming he's big enough to play the 5 defensively which I'm not sure of. but he's really highly skilled. great passer, good shooter, nice moves.

Does anybody know if any recruits who decided to come here the last 5 years or so ever made this mistake?

He has a good pace to his game, really sees the court well - noticed him actually playing pg a bit on those highlights. Not as concerned about the RIchmond University thing, but I do see the point.
I thought we only offered a guy if there was some extensive communication with the player? Maybe that was JB I was thinking of.

Reactions: plydogg
Ply that is even outside SF's research range. But I do think it's happened for sure, maybe not on hoops side bc u are dealing with lower #'s but I bet w football it has.

Would think at minimum they'd look it up. So it is annoying but obv Richmond is the key part and they hear Richmond and initially just don't know if university comes b4 or after it. But if they come here I sure won't hold it against them.

I remember a family friend after hearing I was going to University of Richmond say "oh U of R" and I was like what I hadn't heard it referred like that. It confused me actually. Since then I've always preferred U of R to UR myself maybe bc of that original interaction idk. I think U of R was more commonly used in past and it has migrated more to UR. I'd say U of R is more closely associated with University of Rochester. Sort of like Spyder maybe we let them take control.

I've gone on a slightly different tangent here. But my guess is the old timers use U of R much more than more recent grads. I get in habit of using UR myself. Bring back U of R!

Ply that is even outside SF's research range. But I do think it's happened for sure, maybe not on hoops side bc u are dealing with lower #'s but I bet w football it has.
Looking back through the message board history, I see a few cases (Gilyard, Madrid-Andrews) where others like their schools have referred to us as Richmond University, but not the recruits themselves.

btw ... how about Marcus going pretty old school with the Darrius Garrett picture in his "offered by" post? wonder how he even found that. can't be high up the google search list.

offers used to come by mail. now they're made on the phone or zoom or in person. he heard Richmond, guessed RU, and probably knows next to nothing about us. that's obviously not a good sign but he's from Illinois. we haven't danced in forever. where would he hear of us? with the offer in hand I'm sure he'll do a little research.

he's exactly what you'd expect Mooney to look for. he's a typical Richmond big man, assuming he's big enough to play the 5 defensively which I'm not sure of. but he's really highly skilled. great passer, good shooter, nice moves.
Sman I know your son has been through the recruiting gristmill. Is it really this absent of interpersonal connection? I mean I think anyone we offer would at least have heard of us during the recruiting process. Perhaps I overestimate how much actually connectivity there is to these guys though.

I just meant that a kid might not be getting a ton of stuff on our letterhead. most of the contacts are texting and calling from an assistant, and when it gets serious you hear from the head coach.

but I'm sure he did get some hand written notes. guess he just didn't notice the full name. our coaches won't hold it against him! maybe they'll get in a joke about it.

Ok well I feel marginally reassured that this guy at least has heard from one of our coaches personally.

for a moment I was feeling like we had just emailed him an unsolicited coupon free for one year of college.

• Haha
Reactions: spiderman
Avila was named first-team Class 3A in Illinois alongside seniors Bryce Hopkins (Kentucky), Ty Johnson (Loyola), and Louis Lesmond (Harvard), and soph JJ Taylor who has been offered by Illinois already.

He looks like the Dayton Flyers mascot, Rudy. But hopefully he chooses us!

Dayton_Flyers_CS_web_detail_2048x.jpg

Like the looks of his skill level and game. Wondering how tall he is? If he is still 6'6, I think he would really struggle in the A10. Not nearly fast enough to play wing, and athleticism/strength not enough at 6'6 inside.

If he is 6'8 and get him in the weight room, he looks like a real nice player.

Reactions: kneepadmckinney
Most places seem to be listing him at 6'8" now. Chicago Tribune even said 6'9", 215 last summer...big difference from the 6'6", 190 they have him at on VC.

yeah, ton of upside here. get him on TJ's junior to senior year workout and nutrition plan and get him some contacts ... sky's the limit.
nice skills.

Sort of shows as a non-athlete with a soft frame yet he gets to the rim, has a nice touch and his shots go in.

So I guess that’s our kind of guy? I’ll take it, he definitely fits the Geriot/TJ mold.

Reactions: Eight Legger
yeah, ton of upside here. get him on TJ's junior to senior year workout and nutrition plan and get him some contacts ... sky's the limit.
nice skills.
Yeah, get him on TJ's nutrition plan...not Sal's (who like a lot, but needs more bulk to increase effectiveness).

Reactions: PASpider
Yeah, get him on TJ's nutrition plan...not Sal's (who like a lot, but needs more bulk to increase effectiveness).
According to the team, I believe they said Sal is actually the strongest or among the strongest on the squad.

According to the team, I believe they said Sal is actually the strongest or among the strongest on the squad.
Tell Sal that McDonald’s is running a 2 Big Macs for $5.49 special this month.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT