ADVERTISEMENT

Curtis Blair - Second Coming?

https://richmondspiders.com/news/2007/12/19/205194949.aspx?path=general

A few highlights for the unaware:
Sr Year - CAA POY, ALL Defensive Team
Jr Year - Leading scorer in 15 vs 2 upset of Syracuse.
NCAA appearances - 2
NIT appearances - 2
Drafted - 2nd Round of NBA by defending champ Rockets.

You would be hard pressed to find a resume that comes close to that one as a Spider.

Reactions: plydogg
Florida Gators offer now, impressive considering he is 2023.
Well shoot, I was gonna say lets not give legacy schollies, the kid needs to be able to play at this level. Apparently he is, if a school like Florida is already offering.

I'm glad Mooney and company got the offer in early.

Reactions: plydogg and urfan1
While we are talking about legacy recruits, I do believe that young Curtis is not entirely out of reach. Watched an inteview from this summer, still mentions Florida, TEch, Liberty, VCU and Richmond. Saw some summer league tape too and really like what I see. From the interview, doesn't sound like Florida and possibly Tech recruiting as hard, but does have offers. Hope we can stay in this one. His dad choose us over ACC offers, so let's see history repeat.

Big RTD piece on Blair. Apparently, we're unable to beat out Liberty on his list.

Blair III is looking for that same supportive environment in a college program, and said Liberty coach Ritchie McKay has recruited him harder than anybody else. So he’s leaning toward playing his college ball in Lynchburg, though his recruitment is still open.

He’s thought about the prospect of following his father’s footsteps at Richmond, but doesn’t want to let that dictate his decision.

“I always thought it would be sweet to go there and carry on my dad’s legacy,” Blair III said of Richmond, adding that he attended plenty of Spiders camps as a kid.

“But I’m just looking for somewhere I feel at home, a good fit, good coaching, good people. The most important thing is having good people around you. Somewhere I can come in and compete for minutes right away, that’s the biggest thing.”

Reactions: 8legs1dream
That’s an indictment on our program. He wants to go somewhere with good coaching and good people, and thought it would be cool to come here, but also we didn’t make the cut. What more do we need to hear?

That’s an indictment on our program. He wants to go somewhere with good coaching and good people, and thought it would be cool to come here, but also we didn’t make the cut. What more do we need to hear?
Where does it say in the article that we didn't make the cut? I only saw that LU was recruiting him hardest and family connections to UR won't dictate him going here.

The fact hes leaning Liberty and that he won't let his dad's time here dictate his decision certainly doesn't bode well though.

IDK if I can handle as a Steward Alum losing out to Liberty, a school I loathe more than VCU, with a player that should be a layup for us to land. At least against Liberty.

Where does it say in the article that we didn't make the cut? I only saw that LU was recruiting him hardest and family connections to UR won't dictate him going here.

The fact hes leaning Liberty and that he won't let his dad's time here dictate his decision certainly doesn't bode well though.

IDK if I can handle as a Steward Alum losing out to Liberty, a school I loathe more than VCU, with a player that should be a layup for us to land. At least against Liberty.
How is it possible to hate Liberty more than VCU? 😂

Reactions: Ferrum Spider
Honestly I can see players not wanting to follow their family at the same school. For me it would be a toss-up: kind of a cool family tradition but I would also want to build my own reputation and not constantly be compared to my brother/father/etc.

Honestly I can see players not wanting to follow their family at the same school. For me it would be a toss-up: kind of a cool family tradition but I would also want to build my own reputation and not constantly be compared to my brother/father/etc.
I thought of this, but it has been so long. Curtis is one of my all time favorites, but it has been a while. Sounds like the Liberty coach has out worked, out relationshipped us. I know I mentioned Curtis to one of our current assistants once years ago, and he made a stupid comment about how he was only drafted because they had more rounds back then. Curtis was drafted in the 2ND ROUND. This is the kind of staff we have and it is no wonder why all these now great legacy players like Curtis II and Rodney Rice are not looking at us. Imagine a Rodney Rice / Jason Nelson back court for the next four years????? Man, could I sell that as a top 20 team and hype if I were a coach. These guys cannot sell ice water in the Mojave.

I know I mentioned Curtis to one of our current assistants once years ago, and he made a stupid comment about how he was only drafted because they had more rounds back then. Curtis was drafted in the 2ND ROUND. This is the kind of staff
This is unreal. What was the point of saying that even if it was true (which it wasn't).

No wonder we are in shambles with numbskulls like that running the show.

This is unreal. What was the point of saying that even if it was true (which it wasn't).
Exactly, that showed me something about the pettiness and jealousy of the staff to the previous success. I remember some pictures from one of those player reunions, seemed most of the former players were not Tarrant/JW/JB era, but much older.

A lot of the guys who played under Tarrant aren't huge fans of Mooney, so not shocking that these legacy recruits are looking elsewhere.

Exactly, that showed me something about the pettiness and jealousy of the staff to the previous success. I remember some pictures from one of those player reunions, seemed most of the former players were not Tarrant/JW/JB era, but much older.

What a weird dumb comment. Also I liked how you didn't actually name the assistant but since there is only 1 current assistant who is the same from years ago...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT