ADVERTISEMENT

2022–23 NET Ratings

Almost every year we play down to the level of at least one terrible opponent and often we lose…..Play better teams and you can afford to lose to some of them.
I think almost everyone agrees that a stronger schedule is desirable. However, as some other posters have recently shown, it simply is a hard thing for a Mid-Major team to do. There are exceptions every year, but I can’t think of a true mid-major that consistently gets the type of schedule that is discussed here.

As far as losing to a team you shouldn’t, that is all about leadership to me. A coach needs to have his team ready to play against every opponent and that has not happened for the Spiders.

And if you insist on playing a team like W&M, for god's sake don't go to their place to do it! ..::Because we wanted to be nice to a state school?
It was already announced that the W&M series is 4 games (2/2), so better be ready to play there again in 2 years. I also don’t think UR decided to play to “be nice”. It comes down to one of the oldest rivals, a similar academic profile, and an easy trip. Have to fill in the schedule somehow and this is a decent “match” based on criteria other than basketball prowess to me.

I think almost everyone agrees that a stronger schedule is desirable. However, as some other posters have recently shown, it simply is a hard thing for a Mid-Major team to do. There are exceptions every year, but I can’t think of a true mid-major that consistently gets the type of schedule that is discussed here.

As far as losing to a team you shouldn’t, that is all about leadership to me. A coach needs to have his team ready to play against every opponent and that has not happened for the Spiders.

It was already announced that the W&M series is 4 games (2/2), so better be ready to play there again in 2 years. I also don’t think UR decided to play to “be nice”. It comes down to one of the oldest rivals, a similar academic profile, and an easy trip. Have to fill in the schedule somehow and this is a decent “match” based on criteria other than basketball prowess to me.
Basketball prowess does matter though. Feel free to replace another Q4 game with this and I’m down with that for all the other reasons you note above. But we can’t have a slate that’s too tilted to the Q4 and we certainly can’t lose them.

Reactions: gospidersgo

Exactly what I mean. We're playing them because they're an old rival (to be nice to them), not because they add anything to our resume now. That's the problem. Do you think JMU is going to schedule us regularly in football now that they've moved up, just because we're old rivals? Of course not.

Big Ten beating the system again....so, I guess every win will be a great win and every loss will be a good or great loss, so nothing will change. They will fool the committee again, get a bunch of teams in the dance, all with seeds higher than they should get, and they will all lose a bunch again.

Big Ten beating the system again....so, I guess every win will be a great win and every loss will be a good or great loss, so nothing will change. They will fool the committee again, get a bunch of teams in the dance, all with seeds higher than they should get, and they will all lose a bunch again.
Yeah, Big10 dumb as hell. 2 out of 4 in football playoffs as well. A few of those paydays would be nice.

Is it really "beating the system" if they're actually beating highly rated opponents? It's not like they're all Syracuse trying to load up on crappy teams at home. These Big 10 teams are going out there and scheduling some solid opponents, and they're winning.

Reactions: bongturk
Is it really "beating the system" if they're actually beating highly rated opponents? It's not like they're all Syracuse trying to load up on crappy teams at home. These Big 10 teams are going out there and scheduling some solid opponents, and they're winning.
I haven't checked what they have done this year. I just know what they have done in the past, how they got rewarded with good NETS, and then how they have been awful, like really really awful in the dance for a few years.

Not sure where to post this, but #25 Arizona State is losing a road game to USF 81-36 with 6+ minutes to go. Feels like the kind of loss that should cause a tumble in every rating system. I wonder what is the largest margin of defeat by a top-25 team in history? This has to be close.

Looks like we end the OOC season ranked #142. Pretty underwhelming based on where I believe we can/should be but not a total disaster either. I truly wouldn't be surprised if we went anywhere between 8-10 and 13-5 in conference, looking forward to seeing what happens though.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Looks like we end the OOC season ranked #142. Pretty underwhelming based on where I believe we can/should be but not a total disaster either. I truly wouldn't be surprised if we went anywhere between 8-10 and 13-5 in conference, looking forward to seeing what happens though.
Massive :) opportunity on Sat as we take on GMU at #105

8-10 would be a complete and total failure and embarrassment. The league is garbage. Unless our entire starting lineup gets injured for the season tomorrow, 8-10 is a fireable offense.

8-10 would be a complete and total failure and embarrassment. The league is garbage. Unless our entire starting lineup gets injured for the season tomorrow, 8-10 is a fireable offense.
We have 9 road games, which ones will be easier than W&M?

Although we should win 1 in DC and 2 in Philly. We need one more plus 8-1 at home to get to 12-6....

We have 9 road games, which ones will be easier than W&M?

Although we should win 1 in DC and 2 in Philly. We need one more plus 8-1 at home to get to 12-6....
Well obviously it was a humiliating experience to lose to W&M. We had no business losing that game. Nothing like it should happen again. Bona, GW, Lasalle, St. Joe's are all games we should win on the road, from a talent standpoint. VCU too, because they are garbage. But we know Mooney can't win there except once every eight years or so.

With #99 SLU and #101 GMU both losing today, the A-10 will be back to just one Top 100 team in tomorrow's NET.

Dayton's 6-game winning streak has pushed them up to #73 (plus whatever bump they get from pounding a bad St. Joe's team tonight). That makes them a Q1 away game for us, at least for now.

Oh, and VCU fell behind Duquesne 30–9 tonight before clawing back to get the margin into single digits by the end.

With #99 SLU and #101 GMU both losing today, the A-10 will be back to just one Top 100 team in tomorrow's NET.

Dayton's 6-game winning streak has pushed them up to #73 (plus whatever bump they get from pounding a bad St. Joe's team tonight). That makes them a Q1 away game for us, at least for now.

Oh, and VCU fell behind Duquesne 30–9 tonight before clawing back to get the margin into single digits by the end.
It will be interesting to see how the Dukes do on Saturday.

Oh and this…

P23H.gif

Dayton just keeps winning big and are up to #55 in the NET.

But the problem they have is that they are 12–0 against Q3/Q4 and 0–5 against Q1/Q2, and as it stands right now they only have two more Q2 opportunities left on their schedule (@ VCU, @ SLU). Having your best win so far being against Duquesne isn't going to come close to cutting it.

Meanwhile, the Spiders only got a small bump from last night's win, up three spots to #125.

I think that is total crap that they are that high in the NET with their resume. You shouldn't be rewarded for blowing terrible teams out of the water and losing to everyone else.
Well, you usually are...in Vegas.

If you beat the spread every single game, you can be rewarded.

Oh, gambling and rankings and playoffs should be different things? who knew...

Ehh, VCU is 1-3 on the road and the only win is that awful Loyola team. Not sure they are going into UD Arena and winning when they can't beat Jacksonville at home.

Think its a good spot for VCU. Dayton hasn't been challenged in about a month. & we'll beat nobody rest of year if u base off W&M. Expect VCU to be right at the top of A10 again. Jax was the kind of bad loss they always seem to avoid, but still not seeing how that stops em. We play them twice we could stop em.

Reactions: urfan1
Impressive first half for the Lambies. One more made three and they would have one made three…and 20 whole points.

Dayton has no one who can dribble the ball without Malachi Smith. That was an embarrassment. We can win this league if we just don’t F things up the rest of the way.

Dayton has no one who can dribble the ball without Malachi Smith. That was an embarrassment. We can win this league if we just don’t F things up the rest of the way.

So they were brought back down to Earth by vcu? Who knew.

Wish I read the EL kiss of death at halftime I would have won even more $ on this game. It’s dirty $ I know but it’s what vcu do unfortunately.

Shriver had made about six threes all year before tonight. Even a mangy dog finds a bone sometimes, I guess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT