ADVERTISEMENT

2021–22 Schedule News

going off the last year NET rankings posted above, we cannot lose any of those Q4's. I think we would be ok losing one Q3 but hopefully no more than that and then at least .500 in Q2+Q1 and that has the making of an at-large bid season to me.

Anything less than 10-3 should be unacceptable to our team. A quad 1 is merely top 50 on a neutral court. Quad 2 is 51-100 on a neutral court. With the talent and experience we have returning, 4-2 against Q1 & Q2 and win the rest should be the expectation. 11-2 and solidly in the top 25 entering A10 play. 10-3 would be ok too, but slightly disappointing.

Richmond Men's Basketball 2021-22 Non-Conference Schedule

November 9 vs NC Central W

November 12 vs Utah State (Annapolis, Md.) **

November 16 vs Georgia State W

November 20 at Drake **
November 22 vs Hofstra W

November 25 vs Maryland (Nassau, Bahamas) **
November 27 vs Louisville/Mississippi St (Nassau, Bahamas) **

December 1 at Wofford W

December 5 at Northern Iowa W

December 11 vs Toledo W

December 17 vs NC State (Charlotte, N.C.) **

December 19 vs Old Dominion W

December 22 vs Bucknell W

Could some of the teams where I put a W beat us? Yes. Not a lot of easy ones there. But, I am going by what I think (hope?) will happen, and I think we win all of those. That leaves the other 5. It would be great to win them all, but let's give us a split in the Bahamas. So, that leaves NC St.., Drake, and Utah St. Let's go 2-1 there and that will put us at 11-2. 10-3 would not be a disaster, and if we go 3-2 against the top 5 teams here, we could probably survive a loss to a No. Iowa or some other top 100 type team if they turn out to be decent.

Conference play, as always, will have a big affect on any at large talk as well. 14-4 and a top 2 finish would put us in great shape if we go 10-3 OOC, and might even be more than enough if we go 9-4 OOC depending on who we beat and how good our conference ends up being. Let's win enough to not even be on the bubble this year. 10 seed or 6/7 seed doesn't matter much, just win enough to be safely in.

FTR, I'd be OK with 3/3/3/4, or something similar, if we don't go digging down in the 300s for those Quad 4s. That's a nice balance. No more than 7 combined Q3/Q4 - not with all these grad students.
giphy.gif

November 9 vs NC Central
November 12 vs Utah State (Annapolis, Md.)
November 16 vs Georgia State
November 20 at Drake
November 22 vs Hofstra
November 25 vs Maryland (Nassau, Bahamas)
November 27 vs Louisville/Mississippi St (Nassau, Bahamas)
December 1 at Wofford
December 5 at Northern Iowa
December 11 vs Toledo
December 17 vs NC State (Charlotte, N.C.)
December 19 vs Old Dominion
December 22 vs Bucknell

Let the predictions begin.

W - November 9 vs NC Central
W - November 12 vs Utah State (Annapolis, Md.)
W - November 16 vs Georgia State
L - November 20 at Drake
W - November 22 vs Hofstra
L - November 25 vs Maryland (Nassau, Bahamas)
W - November 27 vs Louisville/Mississippi St (Nassau, Bahamas)
L - December 1 at Wofford
W - December 5 at Northern Iowa
W - December 11 vs Toledo
L - December 17 vs NC State (Charlotte, N.C.)
W - December 19 vs Old Dominion
W - December 22 vs Bucknell

L - November 9 vs NC Central
L - November 12 vs Utah State (Annapolis, Md.)
L - November 16 vs Georgia State
L - November 20 at Drake
L - November 22 vs Hofstra
L - November 25 vs Maryland (Nassau, Bahamas)
L - November 27 vs Louisville/Mississippi St (Nassau, Bahamas)
L - December 1 at Wofford
L - December 5 at Northern Iowa
L - December 11 vs Toledo
L - December 17 vs NC State (Charlotte, N.C.)
L - December 19 vs Old Dominion
L - December 22 vs Bucknell

You're welcome.

W November 9 vs NC Central
L November 12 vs Utah State (Annapolis, Md.)
W November 16 vs Georgia State
W November 20 at Drake
W November 22 vs Hofstra
W November 25 vs Maryland (Nassau, Bahamas)
W November 27 vs Louisville/Mississippi St (Nassau, Bahamas)
W December 1 at Wofford
L December 5 at Northern Iowa
L December 11 vs Toledo
W December 17 vs NC State (Charlotte, N.C.)
W December 19 vs Old Dominion
W December 22 vs Bucknell

Not a high level of confidence, but Mooney needs to take down Chris Mack. Little rough stretch at beginning of December, then finish on W streak into conference play. Remember Wofford lost best player to Va Tech.

This stretch right here could very well determine our season. I think we have to win at least 1 game in Bahamas. But then we return to 2 straight road games with Wofford and Northern Iowa. Both games we should win - but given they are on the road and after return from Bahamas - they will be tough. I like Toledo at home, but we did play them in NIT last year - so they will have some familiarity with us. Then back to NC State. If we can 4-2 or better is this stretch - that would be good news. 3-3 or less and we will be shaking our heads come A10 season.

November 25 vs Maryland (Nassau, Bahamas)
November 27 vs Louisville/Mississippi St (Nassau, Bahamas)
December 1 at Wofford
December 5 at Northern Iowa
December 11 vs Toledo
December 17 vs NC State (Charlotte, N.C.)

My #1 concern is the 12/22 game against Bucknell. The Spiders have lost each game played on Dec. 22 for the last 2 years. All the other games will be a W for the Spiders.

Reactions: plydogg
After looking at our schedule. I do agree the Bahamas tournament and when we go on a road trip after that is huge. Winning 10 games in non conference should be the goal. However, this schedule has some tournament teams on it. Bucknell, Utah State, Louisville all look to be very tough matchups. Bucknell has been a bad matchup in the past history. So we got the tough schedule can be actually deliever? NC Central isn't a bad team either. Been to the NCAA tournament the past few years. That first game might tell us a lot as well. I still have many questions about how healthy Sherod is? Francis was our leading scorer last year. So that kinda of a big deal as well.

Bucknell is terrible. They are not the same team we struggled with in the past. Yes, we could lose the game (see Radford and Hofstra), but in no way should it be considered a tough matchup.

NC Central is also terrible. Occasionally they can get an auto bid by being the least worst. And they were even sub-.500 in conference last year.

Those are the two worst teams on our schedule. If we struggle with them, we have much bigger problems to worry about.

Bucknell is terrible. They are not the same team we struggled with in the past. Yes, we could lose the game (see Radford and Hofstra), but in no way should it be considered a tough matchup.

NC Central is also terrible. Occasionally they can get an auto bid by being the least worst. And they were even sub-.500 in conference last year.

Those are the two worst teams on our schedule. If we struggle with them, we have much bigger problems to worry about.
I was making a reference to history. I know every year is different. However, with Mooney sometimes history seems to repeat itself. Like losing to teams like (Hofstra, Radford, Jacksonville St.) No game ever is a easy with Mooney. Unless you schedule St.Mary's (MD). That basically did nothing to help us. I rather play some teams who made the NCAA tournament. This schedule has potential for good games. We have no idea how these teams will finish. The Kentucky game also turned out really bad last year.

Kentucky wasn’t what we’d hoped it would be, but it was still our second-best win last year.

The schedule is sound, very sound. We have ample opportunities to get good resume building wins. I can't see this team as constructed losing any of our home games and frankly not coming out of here with anything less than 10 wins, which if so, should put us right where we need to be.

we've lost games with a very similar roster. we'll need Jacob to shoot better than last year. we'll need whoever plays the 2 to be an efficient scoring option. and we'll need to defend better, inside and out.

I think the OOC schedule sets us up for an at-large bid, which should be the goal this year with everyone returning.

That being said - is anything short of an NCAA appearance - whether at-large or auto bid a failure for this team and Mooney? Can't blame the schedule, can't blame the roster. And honestly this year - with the super seniors returning, you can't even use injury as an excuse this year because the roster is bloated with the returning seniors and incoming frosh. Am I missing any excuses that could be used?

Reactions: Spiders4ever
The excuses have been used for years. Same old excuses. Wait till next year. The best class needs more time. Injuries and covid impacted the results. Accountability has lacked for years. Most wins in program history. Have people praise Mooney and say what a great job he has done. Others say Richmond does some much with what they have.

I think the OOC schedule sets us up for an at-large bid, which should be the goal this year with everyone returning.

That being said - is anything short of an NCAA appearance - whether at-large or auto bid a failure for this team and Mooney? Can't blame the schedule, can't blame the roster. And honestly this year - with the super seniors returning, you can't even use injury as an excuse this year because the roster is bloated with the returning seniors and incoming frosh. Am I missing any excuses that could be used?
Yes. You are missing last year's excuse. Covid break.

Or, going 24-7, 14-4 in the A-10, beating the Big Ten regular season champs, winning 9 of your last 10, then having the season cut short and hearing on our own message board how we just can't make the dance all off season?
VT4700, very strong post. Concise, unemotional, factual and powerful. Well done.

Reactions: Gallipoli
So this would be the third year in a row on the NCAA bubble basically. If these group of players who are now Super Seniors can't make it to the tournament. It's going to take another many years for Mooney to figure it out. We have seen the same re-run over and over again. I am just hoping for a different result. But when you have basically the same staff you kinda of expect the same. St.Bonaventure and VCU have high expectations and could ruin the whole party again. Seeing a rival constantly achieve at the highest level. Just hoping to see something different.

So this would be the third year in a row on the NCAA bubble basically. If these group of players who are now Super Seniors can't make it to the tournament. It's going to take another many years for Mooney to figure it out. We have seen the same re-run over and over again. I am just hoping for a different result. But when you have basically the same staff you kinda of expect the same. St.Bonaventure and VCU have high expectations and could ruin the whole party again. Seeing a rival constantly achieve at the highest level. Just hoping to see something different.

You are trip and those like you who keep harboring those same lame feeling. You need to get over yourselves. Find another team to root!

not dancing this year would certainly be a failure as we won't reach our goals. but stuff happens. we look good on paper but you don't win on paper. we've got to do it. we've got to make shots and defend like crazy. or we'll fall short.

this board loves playing everyone for player development. to me you earn your time from now until late November, with some adjustments made based on in-season practices. I'm playing top 9. I'm not resting our best players as much as some here would like. I'll rest them on practice days as needed.

let's get to work.

we've lost games with a very similar roster. we'll need Jacob to shoot better than last year. we'll need whoever plays the 2 to be an efficient scoring option. and we'll need to defend better, inside and out.
Nick Sherod is as efficient as I can ever remember... Just sayin'

It’s a very respectable ooc and barring a total meltdown either by us or by these competitors, it won’t be the reason we don’t get consideration. Gotta go win a bunch.

the excuses are already starting to slither out of the ooze and the damn season doesn't even start for 3 months
not excuses. reality. we're going to lose games. there's going to be games where we don't shoot well. or the other team has a great night.

I love this roster but it's still a borderline dancing roster. some here seem to think dancing is a layup and we'll have to screw it up to not go. I don't see that. we can be beat by many teams on this schedule. we need to grind now.

After a decade of futility, the best we can muster is a “borderline dancing roster.”

Maybe I am rooting for the wrong team, but dammit, I’m going to keep doing it.
Yeah, at the risk of going off topic, I really don’t understand the bar-lowering going on here. You have an incredibly experienced roster with multiple 1000-pt scorers plus a bunch of newer guys I keep getting told are way better recruits.

If we aren’t making the tournament this year, there’s just no reason to think we ever will. Maybe that’s not the goal but someone in the athletic department told me it was.

You are trip and those like you who keep harboring those same lame feeling. You need to get over yourselves. Find another team to root!
I been rooting for change for many years. Between a new coaching staff. Got brand new facilities and great players. But still create the same results. Sure I will find myself another team to root for. Since the athletic department feels new doners are just so easy to find.

I love this roster but it's still a borderline dancing roster. some here seem to think dancing is a layup and we'll have to screw it up to not go. I don't see that. we can be beat by many teams on this schedule. we need to grind now.
Totally agree Spiderman. The simple point is every team’s goal is to make the NCAAs and there are no free passes. The difference between this team the last two years is the team was hungrier in 19-20 and played like they had something to prove. Last year was more like they thought they were owed something. Now that we get an unprecedented third try with “super seniors”, the hope is that the hunger is back and the team earns a trip to the dance. Hopefully along the way the new players learn what it takes to make it, so they can earn their shot.

If the team doesn’t make it this year, then you have to think there is a leadership issue because this year’s team is a unicorn.

Reactions: LongTimeSpiderFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT