ADVERTISEMENT

2021–22 Schedule News

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
Regularly updated schedule listings with last year's NET ranking and quad considering location:

Non-conference:
Home
11/9 NC Central (presumed buy game) - 328/Q4
11/16 Georgia State (buy game) - 130/Q3
11/22 Hofstra - 162/Q4
12/11 Toledo (start of home-and-home) - 79/Q3
12/19 ODU - 132/Q3
12/22 Bucknell (start of 2-for-1) - 225/Q4

Away
11/20 Drake (start of home-and-home) - 43/Q1
12/1 Wofford (return game) - 113/Q2
12/5 UNI (2nd of 4-game series) - 187/Q3

Neutral
11/12 Utah State (Veterans Classic @ Navy) - 47/Q1
11/25 Maryland (Bahamas MTE) - 38/Q1
11/27 Louisville or Mississippi St. (Bahamas MTE) 58 or 78/Q2
12/17 NC State (Charlotte) - 73/Q2

A-10:
Home
Davidson - 77/Q3
Dayton - 90/Q3
Massachusetts - 119/Q3
Saint Joseph's - 222/Q4
George Mason - 135/Q3
La Salle - 209/Q4
St. Bonaventure - 31/Q2
Saint Louis - 52/Q2
VCU - 42/Q2

Away
Duquesne - 139/Q3
Fordham - 327/Q4
George Washington - 266/Q4
Rhode Island - 112/Q2
George Mason - 135/Q2
La Salle - 209/Q3
St. Bonaventure - 31/Q1
Saint Louis - 52/Q1
VCU - 42/Q1

(W&M four-game home-and-home was supposed to kick off at home this year, but pushed back to '21–'22.)

----------

Might as well have a dedicated thread. Looks like we're starting a home-and-home with Toledo. Not sure what their projection is for next season, but they're usually decent. Guess our NIT matchup led to something.

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
Just looking through their roster to remind me...Jackson grad transferred to Arizona State, Littleson has graduated, and those are huge losses for them. Rollins, Millner, and Shumate will be back. Komagum transferred to Sac State, but he was only a bit player in the second half of last season.

Torvik has them at #118 going into next year. He has us at #36.

Wonder if we’ll see any games against Minnesota or DePaul in the future thanks to our coaching shifts. DePaul is never super appealing and Minnesota was down a bit last year, but we seem to like games against weak P6 teams.

Reactions: SpiderK
Wofford presumably away since we had them at home this year...could be borderline Q2/Q3. ODU could also be Q2 if it's away. W&M and Bucknell will almost certainly be Q3 if not Q4.

Wonder if we’ll see any games against Minnesota or DePaul in the future thanks to our coaching shifts. DePaul is never super appealing and Minnesota was down a bit last year, but we seem to like games against weak P6 teams.
These schools will be scrambling to get us for the 2 years after this one.

Coach Jenkins played a big part in creating our schedule…while those teams don’t stand out…I think Wofford could be dangerous. That being said I’m wondering who would take over the scheduling now.

We were supposed to start a home-and-home with Cincy last year. My guess is it’s been called off entirely rather than pushed back, but we’ll see.

We played at Bama two years ago, but I don’t recall that being a home-and-home deal.

Curious whether we get Wake back on the schedule at some point. They haven’t been great in recent years, but I still liked that steady relationship and would hate to lose it.

We were supposed to start a home-and-home with Cincy last year. My guess is it’s been called off entirely rather than pushed back, but we’ll see.

We played at Bama two years ago, but I don’t recall that being a home-and-home deal.

Curious whether we get Wake back on the schedule at some point. They haven’t been great in recent years, but I still liked that steady relationship and would hate to lose it.
How many times did we play them between 1975-1976 & 2018-2019?
Have we really only missed them during COVID? It seems a little longer...

Agree plus Cincy has a new staff & that’s more reason to think the H&H never starts. Hope that’s wrong. Bama was not a H&H.

we also owe Charleston & UNI return games. Presumably both those would be next year unless either gets delayed.

Add that to Toledo & these 4 JOC raises all ones we have history with plus the minimum 2 dogs we get every year as part of MTE and it’s not an exciting start to the OOC. Got to pick it up a lot.

How many times did we play them between 1975-1976 & 2018-2019?
Have we really only missed them during COVID? It seems a little longer...
Yeah, we’ve missed them the past two seasons.

Prior to that we’d missed only 6 times since '75–'76. The last time before the current break was the '07–'08 season.

Wasnt the Wake game a result of a donation from the Robbins family at Wake? No way they would be doing a H and H with us for over 20 years after the BCS out of the goodness of their hearts.

But the questions are...
Are they still receiving it?
or do they have to return it if they officially stop?

Wasnt the Wake game a result of a donation from the Robbins family at Wake? No way they would be doing a H and H with us for over 20 years after the BCS out of the goodness of their hearts.
My recolletion( fuzzy) was that the Robins Family "endowed" an academic chair at Wake
In exchange for an Home and Home in BB (during or after the Tarrant era). Not sure as to the term or length of the agreement??? Good question for those on this Board with connections to the current AD.

Our OOC schedule is a shit show right now. We have all of these guys returning and our best game thus far is Toledo. Spare me the Marcus Jenkins was our lead scheduler. This isn't damn rocket science to schedule quality games.

Given it a break. You act like it's October.
The schedule is not put together in October, it is put together now. Many teams already have their exempt tournaments lined up (VCU is playing in the battle for Atlantis for instance). We don't have a tournament yet and our current OOC opponents are a bunch of Quad 3 and Quad 4 games. It is not an understatement to say we have significant work to do and that work had better be in process to make an OOC schedule worthy of a team returning a bunch of seniors and with NCAA aspirations.

Right now, our OOC is already hurting our NCAA tournament resume and if we haven't even stepped foot on the court yet.

Wofford presumably away since we had them at home this year...could be borderline Q2/Q3. ODU could also be Q2 if it's away. W&M and Bucknell will almost certainly be Q3 if not Q4.
It would be a great start to the schedule if Toledo, ODU, and Wofford can have similar years to last year and we can get three Q2s out of them. Toledo was top 75 net (home Q2) right before the final net came out, and ODU and Wofford both finished top 135 (away Q2) last year. So far so good with the schedule. My guess is we will see at least a couple of power teams (likely Q1 or Q2) on there, and then add a few more ODU and Wofford types along with a Q4 or two. I think a schedule of 2 Q1s, 3 or 4 Q2s, 3 or 4 Q3, and 3 or 4 Q4s is a perfect schedule for us, and would likely be a top 100 OOC schedule. I think if you play at least 2 Q1s, 3 Q2s, and no more than 4 Q4s, your OOC SOS number should look pretty good.

Already at 3 quad 4 games if u go by Torvik that u referenced above. W&M Bucknell & Charleston.

Wait, you think 6-8 Q3/Q4 games is right for a team returning two sixth year seniors, two fifth year seniors, and pretty much the entire starting lineup from the last two years?

That feels like a super low bar.

That was my immediate thought as well, yet Torvik projects them at 132, up from 147.

That was my immediate thought as well, yet Torvik projects them at 132, up from 147.
Did their other senior guard come back for an extra year? If not, gonna be tough for them to hold steady, much less jump up 15 spots.

Wait, you think 6-8 Q3/Q4 games is right for a team returning two sixth year seniors, two fifth year seniors, and pretty much the entire starting lineup from the last two years?

Yes, 6-8 combined Q3s and Q4s (which means 5-7 combined Q1s and Q2s) is more than acceptable, especially if you do not have more than 4 Q4s. I think 2 years ago we had a combined 10 Q4s and Q3s OOC, or something close to that, and still ended up with an OOC SOS of 105 because many of them were in that 150-170 range. VCU two years ago had a top 100 OOC SOS and had a combined 9 Q3s and Q4s.

Our starting lineup will have more experience than some NBA teams.

Aim higher.

Two years ago, we ended up with an OOC SOS ranking of 98 (NCAA final team sheets), and here were our quads:

Q1: 1–2
Q2: 0–0
Q3: 4–1
Q4: 5–0

So yes, you can get away with a good number of Q3/Q4 games, but with a couple of considerations:

1. You need one or more excellent wins. Not just solid, but excellent. We had Wisconsin.

2. You have little margin for error so you can't lose many, if any, of those games against weak teams. We went 18–1 against Q3/Q4 overall, and that one loss to Radford had us sweating. We'll never know whether that would have kept us out.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT