ADVERTISEMENT

2021–22 NET Rankings

Please be patient. The System takes a few years to master. 17 years is not much. We are close to something magical.

the Earth is only about 4.5 billion years old so in the grand scheme of things 17 years is nothing. I see your point, Coach simply needs more time. He has certainly earned it!

Extend Mooney!

Eight losses before February. EIGHT. From one of if not the most experienced teams in the history of college basketball which didn't even play a tough schedule at all. Eight losses only two-thirds of the way through the season.

I am looking at schedules and NET team sheets and just shaking my head over here, doesn't make sense and doesn't add up. Somebody please stop the bleeding or this program is in real danger of never recovering from what Moonie has done to it.
Think about next year. We will be the least experienced. If we win 10 games it will be a miracle. Sit this class now and play the freshman.

This is where a lot of people just don't get it. You can have six years of experience, or you can have one year of experience six times. Think about it.

That was a great game. Love my season tickets at UR. Gives me extra warmth to know that buying season tickets actually might make it easier for your AD to keep Mooney.

See you at the SC. Usually I say at this point- If you can get tickets. But thanks to COVID there are plenty of tickets available. Best seats are on StubHub. Hope to see you there.
Your first paragraph literally makes no sense.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Your first paragraph literally makes no sense.

I guess you have never been in a real leadership position. If you had, you know that some people get to a certain level and never get any higher. There are two reasons why that happens. First, the person just does not have the capacity (physical or mental) to get above that level. Second, the organization does not have leadership who can distinguish between those who can learn and become more productive and those who can't. I think the problem with UR today is more the second than the first. You get good players, but the leadership does not properly develop them past the first year of "this is our system". Each year they get the same experience. Over and over and over.

This is true in every type of business. Some employees excel and move up, others not so much. Nothing is wrong with this, businesses need worker bees AND leaders. Those who have the capacity to be developed become the leaders.

If you want to bring this a bit closer just look at college basketball. Some coaches get the most out of their players, some don't. Look at Iona this year. Why are they suddenly a very good team? Think it might be because they have one of the best leaders in basketball (warts and all)?

Or to bring it really close to home for UR, you once had a coach who took good players and shaped them into great teams. It was not just happenstance. There is a reason why good coaches get the most from their players. They recognize the talent of each player and teach the player the additional skills they need to become better.

I guess you have never been in a real leadership position. If you had, you know that some people get to a certain level and never get any higher. There are two reasons why that happens. First, the person just does not have the capacity (physical or mental) to get above that level. Second, the organization does not have leadership who can distinguish between those who can learn and become more productive and those who can't. I think the problem with UR today is more the second than the first. You get good players, but the leadership does not properly develop them past the first year of "this is our system". Each year they get the same experience. Over and over and over.

This is true in every type of business. Some employees excel and move up, others not so much. Nothing is wrong with this, businesses need worker bees AND leaders. Those who have the capacity to be developed become the leaders.

If you want to bring this a bit closer just look at college basketball. Some coaches get the most out of their players, some don't. Look at Iona this year. Why are they suddenly a very good team? Think it might be because they have one of the best leaders in basketball (warts and all)?

Or to bring it really close to home for UR, you once had a coach who took good players and shaped them into great teams. It was not just happenstance. There is a reason why good coaches get the most from their players. They recognize the talent of each player and teach the player the additional skills they need to become better.
This post is much more cohesive. Thank you.
“You can have six years of experience, or you can have one year of experience six times.”

I think the other possibility is Mooney got more out of this team in 2019-2020 than their talent dictated. I believe we also overestimated some of the athletic ability of this team and it shows every night in our defense and rebounding. Burton and Grant are just awful defenders, and it’s painful to watch Tyler get one heroic block for every 20 times he lets his opponent blow by him.

This is where a lot of people just don't get it. You can have six years of experience, or you can have one year of experience six times. Think about it.

That was a great game. Love my season tickets at UR. Gives me extra warmth to know that buying season tickets actually might make it easier for your AD to keep Mooney.

See you at the SC. Usually I say at this point- If you can get tickets. But thanks to COVID there are plenty of tickets available. Best seats are on StubHub. Hope to see you there.
Good to see fmrick is still an idiot. Some things never change.

Some UR fans actually get it, others just want to call names. Guess that is what 7-21 will get you.
Your response with a lesson in leadership and operations management was a bit odd, but certainly not idiotic. Thank you again for taking the time to further explain your position.

Man, he doesn't care about you or me. He's clearly here to stick it in your ear and if you turn the other cheek he's liable to hit your mouth.
Ha, I don’t know about all that, I’m just commenting on him talking nonsense in his original post and then made slightly more sense in his subsequent one.

Your response with a lesson in leadership and operations management was a bit odd, but certainly not idiotic. Thank you again for taking the time to further explain your position.

Thanks. Felt like I had to break it down for some. Also, remember the first post came after a few hours of post-game celebration.

Good luck the rest of they way. If my tickets for the game Friday have not sold yet, we are actually considering coming over for that game. It would be in our best interest to cheer for UR....in that game. But I will still have VCU stuff on.

When reading this and anything from fmrick, does anyone else picture Dwight from The Office saying them? Such total confidence, yet such nonsensical jabber.

I think the other possibility is Mooney got more out of this team in 2019-2020 than their talent dictated. I believe we also overestimated some of the athletic ability of this team and it shows every night in our defense and rebounding. Burton and Grant are just awful defenders, and it’s painful to watch Tyler get one heroic block for every 20 times he lets his opponent blow by him.
You might be right. Then again the question needs to be considered as to the bigger picture of whatever they are being "taught" and "instructed" to do on the court by Mooney. I wouldn't discount the latter. We've seen enough in 17 years to see that all things Mooney is offense. The rest of the fundamentals of what we call the game of basketball take second seat.

You might be right. Then again the question needs to be considered as to the bigger picture of whatever they are being "taught" and "instructed" to do on the court by Mooney. I wouldn't discount the latter. We've seen enough in 17 years to see that all things Mooney is offense. The rest of the fundamentals of what we call the game of basketball take second seat.
100% accurate. I still think coaching is our issue, but I also thought this team was more talented than they are showing this year. Either way, we need to blame Mooney as he assembled this team.

100% accurate. I still think coaching is our issue, but I also thought this team was more talented than they are showing this year. Either way, we need to blame Mooney as he assembled this team.
I mean I’m still convinced that we could have won this game if we simply switched to a zone. The only reason I can think mooney wouldn’t play zone is because you give up offensive boards with it but we do that already so not sure why he wouldn’t at least try it.

I mean I’m still convinced that we could have won this game if we simply switched to a zone. The only reason I can think mooney wouldn’t play zone is because you give up offensive boards with it but we do that already so not sure why he wouldn’t at least try it.
There's possibly another reason. He doesn't practice zone(s).

We switched to a man defense years ago because it allows Gilyard to get more steals. I didn’t realize Mooney’s reasoning for doing this is creating turnovers which makes up for our horrendous rebounding in his eyes. This is absolutely warped logic and I’ve never heard another coach or player make that argument before. We should at least be willing to try a zone when we are losing, which is often this year. I also think us not going into a press defense earlier cost us the game — we had success as soon as we went into it.

VCU plummeted from 56 to 74 after last night. We moved up to 84, not that it matters.

They finished last year at 141. They continue to be very up and down. Several very slow starts in recent games.

VCU plummeted from 56 to 74 after last night. We moved up to 84, not that it matters.
Kind of shocked we are that high, given who we've beaten and number of losses. I guess we do have a lot of road wins which is probably helping us, even if those road wins are against the bottom half of the league.

Kind of shocked we are that high, given who we've beaten and number of losses. I guess we do have a lot of road wins which is probably helping us, even if those road wins are against the bottom half of the league.
And let me remind you, we're dam good at holding off weak teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT