ADVERTISEMENT

Fouls Not Being Called

spider fan

Spider's Club
Dec 4, 2003
Evident in our games that a lot of fouls are not being called. Basing this on the postgame box scores and the lower numbers compared to previous years. One recent game we were 0-0 at the free throw line at the half. That is unusual. For an example of fouls not called Tyler was knocked to the floor after a three point attempt and no foul called and then he was called for a technical when he said something he should not have.

Not saying the lack of fouls being called changed the outcome of any of our games but do think it is a possibility.

This came to mind when I was reading the pontication of Jay Bilas on the subject as per below.
Well, we have a fire in college basketball, and it is spreading to the rest of our house. It is officiating. Not individual officials but the officiating of the game.

College basketball's officiating problem is getting worse.

Fouls called are at an all-time low this season. Given how ridiculously physical this game has become, that is impossible. Officials are either missing the fouls committed or ignoring them. And it is clearly the latter. Individual officials cannot and should not be blamed, as they are just doing what their bosses are allowing them to do. The fault lies with the administration of the game.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...68-men-college-basketball-rankings-version-20

I would say the no call on traveling by GMU towards the end of regulation, we were ahead by 2. They scored on the play. This was where it was referenced in the GMU thread:
At post #335, Sman noted:
"with 23 seconds left, that kid took 5 steps to tie the game."

Last edited:
That was balanced out though when Cayo got the and one that probably wasn’t a foul to begin with and even if it was it wouldn’t have been an and 1 even in the nba. Guess what we still lost.

Kind of absurd to say it balanced out...the only reason Cayo's bad call was even possible was because of the bad non travel call in regulation. They make the correct call there and we're up two with the ball and 23 seconds left and Mason is putting us on the line to stretch things out. Not guaranteed a Spider victory in regulation, but we would have been in very good shape.

You can of course point to any number of events that affected the outcome, but that was an absolutely huge one.

certainly calls have been missed, but Burton flopped. he complained that he got touched on the forearm after the shot. that wouldn't knock you down.

I believe for the season to date, Mooney’s team has committed less total fouls than the opposition? Of course that could be because of Mooney’s pansy .... finesse style of play he incorporates.

Reactions: SpiderK
I would say the no call on traveling by GMU towards the end of regulation, we were ahead by 2. They scored on the play. This was where it was referenced in the GMU thread:
At post #335, Sman noted:
"with 23 seconds left, that kid took 5 steps to tie the game."
I agree, wrapping the ball up like a running back and taking 3 to 5 steps to the basket has got to be called. Refs let the Kentucky’s and Duke’s do that crap all the time. Hate to see the game go the NBA direction.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Grants reach in foul on the drive looked to me like there was a moving screen forced Grant out of position and lead to the foul

Reactions: Spider2020
Grants reach in foul on the drive looked to me like there was a moving screen forced Grant out of position and lead to the foul
I am just happy to see Grant attempt something to get a foul.

I'm not even sure we can say we "performed" after the first 18 minutes. But even if the next 21:30 were the same, the Siegel Center refs would have made sure "their guys" won in the last 30 seconds.

I have hardly looked at this thread, b/c the title just plays into the excuse mongering that this mooney regime is built on. But, a couple points:
1. Our finesse style of play does not lead to getting calls. The aggressor on defense usually gets more calls b/c there is a ton of contact, and the refs are not great, and I believe just going to miss more and not be inclined to call so so many fouls. So we have that going against us most games.
2. The bitching and whining by Mooney, Grant and Gilly is infectious and I believe does negatively impact our calls. I love our end of bench guys enthusiasm, but they are over the top challenging calls - and again think this is lilely more of a detriment than help. Even our tenured strength and conditioning coach (FEZZ favorite :)) is always bitching and yelling at the officials. Just stop dude, and instill some toughness and do your job.

23 nailed it. Tough to get calls when your big man shoots fall-away half-hook shots instead of powering to the basket and when most of your guards just fire up threes…And when you are never battling for offensive rebounds after a shot.

23 nailed it. Tough to get calls when your big man shoots fall-away half-hook shots instead of powering to the basket and when most of your guards just fire up threes…And when you are never battling for offensive rebounds after a shot.
That’s the truth

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Watching Nova and Uconn. Refs let them play in the Big East. SLU would look like a pansy against either of those teams.
Same with Loyola. I watched them play Drake last week. It was very physical. Much more so than a typical Mooney team is accustomed to.

I don’t know about you guys but I felt last night was possibly the most one-sided officiating of the year…in our favor

So you’re saying Mooney was paying off the refs in a desperate attempt to save his job?? Yeah, let’s go with that…😎

• Haha
Reactions: plydogg
Don't even get me started on the whole alcohol vs non alcohol parking lot thing....

Evident in our games that a lot of fouls are not being called. Basing this on the postgame box scores and the lower numbers compared to previous years. One recent game we were 0-0 at the free throw line at the half. That is unusual. For an example of fouls not called Tyler was knocked to the floor after a three point attempt and no foul called and then he was called for a technical when he said something he should not have.

Not saying the lack of fouls being called changed the outcome of any of our games but do think it is a possibility.

This came to mind when I was reading the pontication of Jay Bilas on the subject as per below.
Well, we have a fire in college basketball, and it is spreading to the rest of our house. It is officiating. Not individual officials but the officiating of the game.

College basketball's officiating problem is getting worse.

Fouls called are at an all-time low this season. Given how ridiculously physical this game has become, that is impossible. Officials are either missing the fouls committed or ignoring them. And it is clearly the latter. Individual officials cannot and should not be blamed, as they are just doing what their bosses are allowing them to do. The fault lies with the administration of the game.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...68-men-college-basketball-rankings-version-20
This has very little to do with Our poor performance. But it is ruining the game. The amount of bumping, grabbing, that goes uncalled is absurd

Reactions: SpiderK
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT