ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year Roster

spider23

Spider's Club
May 31, 2002
Dedmon Center USA
ruhoops.proboards.com
Just for tracking purposes, this is not a depth chart or my thoughts on who is starting etc. Like I did in another thread, I am basically arbitrarily putting each player into one position for the sake of tracking. For example: I don't think, or hope not that Burton would be our primary "4", but as of now seems to be best fit considering as of now Grace is best fit at center.

PG - Dji / Nelson
SG - Goose / Dread
SF - Noyes/Crabtree / Randolph
PF - Burton
C - Grace / Walz

Very thin on the interior. If we could land Quinn, I still think we need a legit PF type to add to the rotation. Then again, a shooter.

• Sad
Reactions: SpiderK
Did not realize we had 3 spots still open. Need to hit the transfer market hard. Maybe 2 transfers, 1 more freshman? Assuming Grace and Goose are back, ideally we add two bigs and a guard

Reactions: spider23
I wonder how long it will take before we get news on Goose and Grace. Seems like there is a 50/50 chance on each of them returning to me. Mooney and staff definitely have lots of work to do already.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Think I might like Stephens out of VMI more than Quinn. My gut says Stephens more likely too but who knows. Both have plenty of suitors. Tho Quinn comes with 2 years not 1 so that's a plus for him. Hope we can land 1.

Reactions: Eight Legger
basketball-wise, I think Grace should come back. I don't think he'll find a much better basketball opportunity. but I don't know why he'd even talk about astronomy in that interview if coming back was in his thought process. maybe our late success changed his mind though. I agreed it's probably a 50% chance he returns.

Goose I just don't know. he still hasn't shown he can be a shooter. he was coming off surgery. he probably could have a really good year here and boost his stock. and I don't know if he'd be in demand for a high major in a transfer so this may be his best place to play. but the fact that we're talking to 6'5" guard transfers make me wonder what we know when our obvious needs are bigs and a backup PG. no idea if his goal is to return to play in Finland but if it is and he's got his degree, not sure I'd wait another year. heck, he could even lose time to Dji or an incoming transfer. and hopefully not but we could have a losing team. I'll handicap him at a 40% chance to return.

Goose is a very interesting case. Really boosted the team with his defense when he was fully healthy and inserted in the lineup. We know, we certainly know, that Mooney loves his returning starters and it takes something major to lower their status in the rotation. And the team improved with Goose in, and Goose possibly helped save Mooney's job - so I very much doubt that his PT in jeopardy. As sman notes, he has not shown the ability to consistently knock down shots - and we are going to need someone to do that next year. It certainly seems that either Dji or Randolph, or both have a potentially higher ceiling offensively - and would hopefully play as good defense. Could also be the case, where - unlike this seasons super seniors - he has accomplished some pretty darn nice goals, being a starter on an A10 championship team and a huge NCAA win. May just be time for him to move on in his mind.
With Walz apparently a longer term project, and Sal leaving, we really could use Grace back.

I think people have read too much into Grace's astronomy comment. It was an offhand thing about what he likes to do in his spare time. I read books like that too. He's a finance/marketing major, not looking to go to grad school in astrophysics.

His comment about likely using his extra year to "keep playing somewhere" does give some pause, but I suspect he was trying to not commit one way or another to coming back to UR, not knowing how things would play out this year and whether Mooney would even want him back necessarily.

Next to Burton, Goose is our only real known entity. need him back imo. really hope he does as he's been my fav player. He played lot of minutes on ncaa team we saw the difference he made, no reason he'd get less time next year. he's a pretty good ft shooter, I think he'd hit 35% from 3 with higher volume. at 1 point during year I'd say he was our 2nd biggest threat after Burton, when Gilly had his struggles from 3. we didn't shoot well enough from 3 as a team. i'd put ball more in his hands if it were me, good things happen. elite defender.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I think he'd hit 35% from 3 with higher volume.
I think that's wishful thinking. I can see that argument with a sophomore but he's got 4 years under his belt at 20 mpg. he's a 30% 3 point shooter. not sure there's much upside to his outside shooting at this point. he is who he is, which is a good solid defender and a decent slasher.

Good stuff. Really interested as to how hard they are going after some of these guys in the portal. In the past, we saw us involved with some transfers (including landing some) that were a bad fit in idea, and in reality. With the freedom of movement and Ivy guys having to transfer, there should be a very good number of fits - let's see if we can land two.

Good stuff. Really interested as to how hard they are going after some of these guys in the portal. In the past, we saw us involved with some transfers (including landing some) that were a bad fit in idea, and in reality. With the freedom of movement and Ivy guys having to transfer, there should be a very good number of fits - let's see if we can land two.
Well, if we get a TJ Cline, and a Jordan Goodwin, we will see who the third guy is...

Are Gaitley & Kulju able to return if they want to?

I guess technically they could? Neither of them played their freshman year, so they've each only used four years of eligibility.

But I in no way expect them to return, paying their own way for a sixth year when all of the guys they came in with have moved on.

Reactions: wr70beh
I think people have read too much into Grace's astronomy comment. It was an offhand thing about what he likes to do in his spare time. I read books like that too. He's a finance/marketing major, not looking to go to grad school in astrophysics.

His comment about likely using his extra year to "keep playing somewhere" does give some pause, but I suspect he was trying to not commit one way or another to coming back to UR, not knowing how things would play out this year and whether Mooney would even want him back necessarily.
Me too, SF. Really into reading astrophysics in my spare time. :rolleyes:

God love you folks that do.

I think the stars in the sky are telling us Grace will return. Maybe more importantly when the moon is in the Seventh House and Jupiter aligns with Mars.

Reactions: urfan1
I guess technically they could? Neither of them played their freshman year, so they've each only used four years of eligibility.

But I in no way expect them to return, paying their own way for a sixth year when all of the guys they came in with have moved on.
i assume they won’t, hadn’t thought about it, then heard Covid years apply to walk ons.

i assume they won’t, hadn’t thought about it, then heard Covid years apply to walk ons.
Their parents are probably done paying for them to play around. Lol. I would think they are gone.

Their parents are probably done paying for them to play around. Lol. I would think they are gone.
Pretty sure I heard Kulju deferred a year at either PWC or E&Y to come back .. so will now be the time for him to start his career almost certainly.

Reactions: plydogg
Think I might like Stephens out of VMI more than Quinn. My gut says Stephens more likely too but who knows. Both have plenty of suitors. Tho Quinn comes with 2 years not 1 so that's a plus for him. Hope we can land 1.
I dont see that at all! Quinn looks like the better deal for me by far. If Stephens is the best we get I see a sad season... Quinn might make us a Top 4 team

Reactions: gcarter52
Is Stephens in the portal? Haven't heard anything about him.

I think I am most interested to see Noyes next season. Looking at the team picture, he looks a legit 6'7, he has impressive hops, and from his h.s. tape he could shoot it pretty well. Hoping he can contribute next season, and be heir apparent to Burton type of performer.
Telling you. Mike Skrocki 2.0.

Is Stephens in the portal? Haven't heard anything about him.

Their season just ended in CBI a few days ago so that may have something to do with it. Graduates in May he can’t return to vmi. He already said earlier this season he plans to play basketball somewhere. Now he could go pro instead & bypass portal but seems more likely does a grad year in college.

I think I am most interested to see Noyes next season. Looking at the team picture, he looks a legit 6'7, he has impressive hops, and from his h.s. tape he could shoot it pretty well. Hoping he can contribute next season, and be heir apparent to Burton type of performer.
Kid can shoot it and of course jump out the gym...I think just like with some of the other guys, they hit the weight room hard get some more muscle.

Reactions: spider23
the SC Coach really knows how to do things. He made both Golden more explosion and Burton so much faster on defense
I love the “Golden more explosive”. Coach you know that Golden’s feet never left the floor in 6 years. Maybe he got to his tiptoes once or twice.

Kid can shoot it and of course jump out the gym...I think just like with some of the other guys, they hit the weight room hard get some more muscle.
I think Noyes is going to be a real good one for us. With his size, I could see him starting next year, especially if Goose and Grace come back. I think a starting 5 of Nelson, Goose, Burton, Noyes, and Grace makes a lot of sense when you look at the need for size and shooting. Noyes could provide both, and he has had a year to learn the system. If Burton, Goose, and Grace start, it's almost like 3 starters returning because Grace will play the exact role he has been playing. Instead of backing up Grant so well, he would just take over Grant's spot, and the bonus would be he provides more outside shooting, which was one of our main issues this past season.

Nelson replaces Gilyard. There is only one Jacob Gilyard, but Nelson is a true PG, and if he can shoot it, he will be a huge weapon for us.
That leaves Noyes replacing Nate. We will miss Nate's inside game, but, like with Grace, the bonus here could be outside shooting, which Noyes should provide.

That leaves Dji, Randolph, Crabtree, Dread, and Walz, along with any new guys. While some of these guys have potential to be starters, and, SDad75, I am looking forward to seeing a lot more of Dji, I think if Goose and Grace come back, and we have Nelson and Burton starting with them, we need size out there, so that is why I am going with Noyes. He has had a year to learn, he can shoot it, he can get up, and could play taller than his 6'7 or 6'8 height.
Of course, depending on who else we might get, my opinion could change, but right now, this is the starting 5 I like, and I am pretty excited about it. Our 3 point shooting needs to improve, so, even though we lose Jacob, we have a good chance to be a much better 3 point shooting team next year. SDad75, is Dji shooting his 500 shots a day from 3 this spring and summer? If he can knock that shot down......look out, right?

I think Noyes is going to be a real good one for us. With his size, I could see him starting next year, especially if Goose and Grace come back. I think a starting 5 of Nelson, Goose, Burton, Noyes, and Grace makes a lot of sense when you look at the need for size and shooting. Noyes could provide both, and he has had a year to learn the system. If Burton, Goose, and Grace start, it's almost like 3 starters returning because Grace will play the exact role he has been playing. Instead of backing up Grant so well, he would just take over Grant's spot, and the bonus would be he provides more outside shooting, which was one of our main issues this past season.

Nelson replaces Gilyard. There is only one Jacob Gilyard, but Nelson is a true PG, and if he can shoot it, he will be a huge weapon for us.
That leaves Noyes replacing Nate. We will miss Nate's inside game, but, like with Grace, the bonus here could be outside shooting, which Noyes should provide.

That leaves Dji, Randolph, Crabtree, Dread, and Walz, along with any new guys. While some of these guys have potential to be starters, and, SDad75, I am looking forward to seeing a lot more of Dji, I think if Goose and Grace come back, and we have Nelson and Burton starting with them, we need size out there, so that is why I am going with Noyes. He has had a year to learn, he can shoot it, he can get up, and could play taller than his 6'7 or 6'8 height.
Of course, depending on who else we might get, my opinion could change, but right now, this is the starting 5 I like, and I am pretty excited about it. Our 3 point shooting needs to improve, so, even though we lose Jacob, we have a good chance to be a much better 3 point shooting team next year. SDad75, is Dji shooting his 500 shots a day from 3 this spring and summer? If he can knock that shot down......look out, right?
Yes he is still shooting his 500 makes, not shots 😃 He's taking these next 2 weeks to get some much needed rest. I might disagree with you with your starting five. Of course I will say Dji has an opportunity to start. There are several options we can go: Nelson Dji, Goose, or Dji, Goose, Crab, at the guards. I think Jason does start if I am having to give answer today.(jmo) But I can see where he may not, but I don't think Aidan starts. As I've said before, I think we have some good options at the guard spot and should make for an interesting battle leading into November. Is it November yet? 😁🕷️🏀

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT