ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year Roster

With the ways things are today without another transfer I would go with a smaller lineup. I don’t think UR has enough depth at the moment to start Bigelow and Noyes. And if the younger guys play well they earn more minutes.

Wing - Bailey/Roche
F - Bigelow/Noyes/Tanner
C - Quinn/Walz
G - Hunt/Smith
G - King

Doubt Roche will be ready and don't think we give a Fr the keys again, even with King. Def think 23's lineup is likely and I also could see King, Hunt, Dji, Bigs, and Neal as well. From early reports Collin has looked pretty good and prob help. Now here's to the 100 shooting % :D
Was half joking, someone said we need more shooting. So I went with all shooting and little heighth

• Haha
Reactions: SpiderDad75
Doubt Roche will be ready and don't think we give a Fr the keys again, even with King. Def think 23's lineup is likely and I also could see King, Hunt, Dji, Bigs, and Neal as well. From early reports Collin has looked pretty good and prob help. Now here's to the 100 shooting % :D

Is Roche hurt?

That wasn't an analogy, it was foreshadowing. Did you take any English courses at UR?
Spoken from the guy who compared basketball teams to poverty in Sudan and Pearl Harbor. I stand by what I said. You continue to struggle with analogies. And, I know one course you definitely passed at UR....how to be an *******.

Hope and know you share one vision - Spider basketball success. Lets focus on that and leave the sniping to our opponents.

Reactions: urfan1
Spoken from the guy who compared basketball teams to poverty in Sudan and Pearl Harbor. I stand by what I said. You continue to struggle with analogies. And, I know one course you definitely passed at UR....how to be an *******.
You were a tough grader, but I did alright in that course. You taught me a lot.

Last edited:
With the TB news official, here's a quick breakdown of the offseason so far:

OUT: Burton, Grace, Goose, Nelson, Randolph, Dread, Crabtree.
IN: King, Hunt, Smith, Tanner, Graham.

The first 5 above accounted for 63% of minutes played, 62% of points, 52% of rebounds, 61% of assists, and 63% of 3PM from last year's team. That's a ton of production we've lost that needs to be filled.

While I'm excited for the future prospects of Smith & Tanner, I don't think we can rely on very much production from true freshmen in our system. Still think we badly need two transfers with college experience to feel decent about next year.

Last edited:
With the TB news official, here's a quick breakdown of the offseason so far:

OUT: Burton, Grace, Goose, Nelson, Randolph, Dread.

The first 5 above accounted for 63% of minutes played, 62% of points, 52% of rebounds, 61% of assists, and 63% of 3PM from last year's team. That's a ton of production we've lost that needs to be filled.

While I'm excited for the future prospects of Smith & Tanner, I don't think we can rely on very much production from true freshmen in our system. Still think we badly need two transfers with college experience to feel decent about next year.
Crab?

OUT: Burton, Grace, Goose, Nelson, Randolph, Dread.
Burton was a beast, while Grace, Goose, Nelson and Randolph all had sizable roles.
yet oddly enough I think the overall talent change looks like a net positive. I wish King had more than 1 year, but it is what it is.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Burton was a beast, while Grace, Goose, Nelson and Randolph all had sizable roles.
yet oddly enough I think the overall talent change looks like a net positive. I wish King had more than 1 year, but it is what it is.
Oof, not sure about that. Time will tell, but at this point to me, it's a significant step backwards. We need more help.

Oof, not sure about that. Time will tell, but at this point to me, it's a significant step backwards. We need more help.
Yeah, losing Burton trumps any additions we made in my mind. I can agree that Grace, Goose, Randolph, and Nelson all had significant issues that made them incomplete players.

At best, we are neutral from last year, and we finished 12th in the league last year. Soo, really tough to be optimistic about next year.

And the one thing I agree with 4700 on was our PG play last year killed any chance for us to be competent offensively and I do think we have made a significant upgrade in that department with King. But, we also lost by far our best player off the team from last year.

I have us right now as a bottom half of the A-10 type of roster.

Yeah, losing Burton trumps any additions we made in my mind. I can agree that Grace, Goose, Randolph, and Nelson all had significant issues that made them incomplete players.

At best, we are neutral from last year, and we finished 12th in the league last year. Soo, really tough to be optimistic about next year.

And the one thing I agree with 4700 on was our PG play last year killed any chance for us to be competent offensively and I do think we have made a significant upgrade in that department with King. But, we also lost by far our best player off the team from last year.

I have us right now as a bottom half of the A-10 type of roster.
I've seen many teams with questionable talent and 1-star over rely on that star. Losing the dominant one often times causes others to step up.

I continue to maintain that player talent is NOT going to be the main issue in 23-24. Struggles with putting the puzzle together (figuring out whom to play with whom, and when), will be what causes the team to finish in the area of .500. Even so, if they finish .500 (or 1 or 2 better) that is a slight improvement.

I've seen many teams with questionable talent and 1-star over rely on that star. Losing the dominant one often times causes others to step up.

I continue to maintain that player talent is NOT going to be the main issue in 23-24. Struggles with putting the puzzle together (figuring out whom to play with whom, and when), will be what causes the team to finish in the area of .500. Even so, if they finish .500 (or 1 or 2 better) that is a slight improvement.
I don't know. This is more like putting a 1000 piece puzzle together without the box top, missing a third of the edge pieces, and doing it outside in a wind storm.

And if we get to .500, that still can’t be seen as acceptable. But that sadly is where our program is. Unfortunately a discussion centering around .500 is a reality.

There is a disconnect between the dollars pumped into the program and the quality of the facilities vs the winning realized. But it’s apparently good enough because it perpetuates.

And if we get to .500, that still can’t be seen as acceptable. But that sadly is where our program is. Unfortunately a discussion centering around .500 is a reality.

There is a disconnect between the dollars pumped into the program and the quality of the facilities vs the winning realized. But it’s apparently good enough because it perpetuates.
nobody's saying .500 is good enough or that last year was good enough. but despite a mediocre regular season, 2022 was good enough. 2021 was a Covid mess, but 2000 was good enough too.

I know I'll get bashed like 4700 for this, but recent years haven't been as bad as the doom and gloom posts on this board suggest. I personally want to see how the rest of this roster plays out. we're not going into the season with 10 on scholarship. there will be more adds. and even if they aren't top of the rotation guys, I still want to see how guys like Noyes fit in. we have some pieces. some are unknowns, but might be high ceiling guys. that's exciting to me.

Reactions: VT4700
nobody's saying .500 is good enough or that last year was good enough. but despite a mediocre regular season, 2022 was good enough. 2021 was a Covid mess, but 2000 was good enough too.

I know I'll get bashed like 4700 for this, but recent years haven't been as bad as the doom and gloom posts on this board suggest. I personally want to see how the rest of this roster plays out. we're not going into the season with 10 on scholarship. there will be more adds. and even if they aren't top of the rotation guys, I still want to see how guys like Noyes fit in. we have some pieces. some are unknowns, but might be high ceiling guys. that's exciting to me.
We have seen previously that there are those in high levels of authority or $ influencers have told us to temper expectations (paraphrasing).

The fact that we are having a discussion around .500 and absolutely no expectations of winning the A10 or NCAA appearance tells me how low the program has fallen following our one tournament appearance that spanned a gap of 10 or so years. There has been zero minus momentum following that NCAA appearance. And at some point, we need to run away from explaining away the reasons, justifications, and excuses.

the frustration is reasonable. 2022 was an exciting year-end with a great team, but it was the end of most of their time here. soon as we succeeded, it ended. and the guys behind last year didn't give us much to look forward to. plus the best piece just left.

doesn't mean the cupboard is bare for next season though. we have pieces.

We have seen previously that there are those in high levels of authority or $ influencers have told us to temper expectations (paraphrasing).

The fact that we are having a discussion around .500 and absolutely no expectations of winning the A10 or NCAA appearance tells me how low the program has fallen following our one tournament appearance that spanned a gap of 10 or so years. There has been zero minus momentum following that NCAA appearance. And at some point, we need to run away from explaining away the reasons, justifications, and excuses.
Well, good luck hearing anything positive on here. Just because a bunch of negative people on a message board post negatively all the time, say the same crap every day, and talk about going .500 doesn't mean the team and some fans out there aren't excited about this season.

You talk about how low the program has fallen? This is where I will be jumped on for "not wanting to be the best all the time" or whatever will be said, but I have nothing but positive thoughts about a program that went 24-7, NIT, and A-10 title with 1st round NCAA tourney win 3 of the last 4 seasons. Two 24 win seasons 2 of the last 4 years. Sorry, but while I would really like to win 24+ games, and win titles and win a dance game every year, no, I just don't expect that to happen every year, and I just won't be negative 100% of the time like so many on this board when it doesn't.

the frustration is reasonable. 2022 was an exciting year-end with a great team, but it was the end of most of their time here. soon as we succeeded, it ended. and the guys behind last year didn't give us much to look forward to. plus the best piece just left.

doesn't mean the cupboard is bare for next season though. we have pieces.
I agree with that.

It is frustrating to go from taking 10 years to get back to the NCAA’s to immediately becoming bottom feeders in a weak A10 to having low expectations again this coming year.

The reality is that the program is not in a good place. We should be doing better. And sadly, we can’t demand it.

I agree with that.

It is frustrating to go from taking 10 years to get back to the NCAA’s to immediately becoming bottom feeders in a weak A10 to having low expectations again this coming year.

The reality is that the program is not in a good place. We should be doing better. And sadly, we can’t demand it.
You are aging fast!!

Well, good luck hearing anything positive on here. Just because a bunch of negative people on a message board post negatively all the time, say the same crap every day, and talk about going .500 doesn't mean the team and some fans out there aren't excited about this season.

You talk about how low the program has fallen? This is where I will be jumped on for "not wanting to be the best all the time" or whatever will be said, but I have nothing but positive thoughts about a program that went 24-7, NIT, and A-10 title with 1st round NCAA tourney win 3 of the last 4 seasons. Two 24 win seasons 2 of the last 4 years. Sorry, but while I would really like to win 24+ games, and win titles and win a dance game every year, no, I just don't expect that to happen every year, and I just won't be negative 100% of the time like so many on this board when it doesn't.

24-7!!!

Mongolian Mike has pulled out of the draft and has a list of 5 schools.

8-25

Struggles with putting the puzzle together (figuring out whom to play with whom, and when), will be what causes the team to finish in the area of .500.
@Not-A-Homer This definitely was the problem last year and seems very likely it can happen again. The only good news is there are no “security blanket” players left, so Mooney is going to have to play new guys. Hopefully that leads to some combinations with much better chemistry. I do think that that losing Burton helps in terms of the team not deferring to him. That was another problem with last year’s team, Burton was not a game closer. I think he will fare much better at Villanova where he will be a contributor vs “the man”.

I guess we will see if the staff can get a couple more forward types in the building. Always seems to come down to that position.

We can run out Team 2 school

Quinn
Bigelow
Roche
Hunt
King

Then Team 1 school

Walz
Noyes
Tanner
Bailey
Smith

sman, I am seeing 10 schollies filled, so 3 left:

Guards Senior - Dji, Roche, Hunt Soph - Smith, Tyne

Wings - Junior Noyes, Soph - Tanner, Frosh- Jaylen

Bigs Junior - Walz , Soph - Soulis

Obviously guys like Roche and Tanner could be considered either a guard or wing - this is just the way I am down. Could also see Jayden playing some 4 a la Bigs.

Last edited:
agreed. 4 total for this class. 3 left.

from Jayden's highlights, he totally looks like a big forward in our system (not an old school McHale "4" of course). I can't think of a Spider comp for him, though. have we ever had a guy aggressively attack the rim like in those highlights? he's got some elite athleticism.

Agree about Jaylen's athleticism. Not to over hype, there are obviously a lot more than athleticism that goes into being a productive player - but I tend to think that Burton is the only comp for size/strength/athleticism in the last 10 years???
I think the whole "position less" basketball model works a lot better when you can get guys like this that should be able to defend multiple positions and rebound.
If we were to land Caden, I would say the landing the trio of Soulis/Jaylen/Caden in about 45 days would be one of our best stretches in quite some time and gives us three great wing/forward prospects to build on.

at least 4 left after Jayden. There is no way we won't have a transfer. U have to plan for it. It gives u room to go get another hs recruit & not worry about the #'s. I still expect a couple ships to be used for the portal.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
at least 4 left after Jayden. There is no way we won't have a transfer. U have to plan for it. It gives u room to go get another hs recruit & not worry about the #'s. I still expect a couple ships to be used for the portal.
likely, but we'll only sign for the spots we (Mooney) know we have.

keep recruiting. if someone leaves in April we'll fill with late recruits or in the portal.

Agree, as much as we can hope and think we can operate in a different model - i.e the Golden/Gilly/Sherod keep guys for 4/5 years - the transfer market is needed, and from the youth of the roster next year we will really need to fill in a couple guys that are proven D1 producers again. And yes, it is likely we would lose 1-2 guys so will be spots to fill

I would mind not a lineup size wise similar to what Villanova would put on the floor.
Five guys 6’1 -6’8 but all good ball handlers, outside shooters and strong on the ball
defenders

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT