ADVERTISEMENT

Next year

Talking about assistants (know very little) have to admit Mooney and maybe more Co. get A+ from me on last year's 3 transfers from their performances. Even Harris who I thought would be a non-factor going by kenpom, gave the team a lift when on the court.

Our assistants have only been assistants here for a few years. I would think that has a lot to do with it. I think we have an excellent group. I guess you don't? Gipe is kicking butt in the portal and with recruiting, Boyden has taken our defense up a notch or two, and Campbell has years of head coaching experience. People on here like to say I am way too positive on here, but you sure do reach for things to be negative about.

I said I was surprised. Think we deserve at least 1 on there. I speculated on reasons why. Mooney tree isn’t particularly strong. Why a reach?…thought very relevant & interesting to post. Like to keep up on up & coming coaches too. If I wanted to be negative I guess could have started a brand new thread like many do here.

Also never heard of Campbell.

These r rising stars there r plenty who have been at their current job barely at all. Vcu asst on there it’s his first year at vcu. Boyden and Thomas r not green.

With Beagle now in the mix, wanted to revisit this thread. Here's how I think the lineup/rotation is looking.
Still think we're trying to fill at least two, if not three, starting spots from the portal:

Starting Lineup
G: Hunt
G: TBD Transfer (Tyne if no other guards brought in)
G/F: TBD Transfer
F: TBD Transfer
C: Beagle

Bench:
Tyne
Walz
Roche
Noyes

I do think Tyne and Noyes (less likely) have a chance to start depending on how our portal recruitment shapes up, but it's clear we're still looking for our King, Bigelow, and Dji "replacements" as of now. I think a bench unit lead by Tyne, Walz, Roche, and Noyes would be relatively strong.

Tanner and Soulis can earn more playing time with good preseasons but I think they're on the outside looking in for now. Excited for McGlothin and Robinson but can't expect them to be huge contributors unless we hear otherwise.

Last edited:
Good stuff MD. Was thinking about this a little earlier today or yesterday. While it does seem that the portal era is forcing everyone into a win now, plug and play mentality - do think we need to see some of the young guys have roles.
I Soulis is fully healthy - I want to see him in the mix for time. He was a big time recruit for us IMO, and even though season was wiped by injuries he did participate pre-season and start of the season with intent to play minutes last season. Hoping he is good enough to force way onto court.
Similar for Tanner - have not seen or heard any indication that he cannot play at this level. If both those guys are buried deep bench - then we truly do become strictly transfer driven.
While I do want us to grab some more proven talent in the portal - and agree with most that wee need to - hoping a few of they younger guys are so good they compete for minutes. That includes McGlothin and Robinson - so between them, Soulis and Tanner - would love for 2 to be regulars in the rotation.

so much depends on who we land.

right now I wouldn't be surprised if Tanner makes the jump from never playing to a big role.
and one of the freshmen could pencil himself at forward.
but that changes if we land Manon & Neskovic types.

this weekend is the 1st after the dead period. gotta be visitors coming. hope we hear soon.

Starting Lineup
G: Hunt
G: TBD Transfer (Tyne if no other guards brought in)
G/F: TBD Transfer
F: TBD Transfer
C: Beagle

Bench:
Tyne
Walz
Roche
Noyes
Blank slate. I guess this is a sign of the times in college basketball, but I can’t get excited by this type of roster. Last season had to fill 2-3 starting spots and this year have to fill 4. Seems like a monumental task for Mooney and staff.

• Sad
Reactions: mr.spider
I feel based on progress Waltz starts, Beagle or Soulis could be a 4 or we could go
all guard-small forward 1-4. We get another power forward or center, then we shoot
for a guard and our depth chart should be set

Reactions: Spider Bob79
EL, I tend to agree. And the caveat to this is that as much as NIL favors the big boys, Mooney and Richmond have operated nicely so far. In the past, sans TJ and one or two over past 10 years pre portal, it was a struggle to fill out the roster for Mooney. We were relying on reaches like that Chicago State guy and dude from France to play big roles. For some reason, Moon was really bad at the transfer game. Or more likely he didn't want to go that route, and it left massive gaping holes in the roster. And several pre seasons I identified those holes right here on this lil ol message board. So yes, this portal era is much much more exciting, and hopefully we can land a couple more impact guys and have another solid roster heading into next season.

Again, I am hopeful that out of Soulis, McGlothin, Robinson, and Tanner we can have a couple guys that earn PT and can impact winning.

I feel based on progress Waltz starts, Beagle or Soulis could be a 4 or we could go
all guard-small forward 1-4. We get another power forward or center, then we shoot
for a guard and our depth chart should be set
I'll bet Beagle signed on with the understanding he's competing with Walz for the starting spot.
don't know how it'll play out, but best man starts.

I'll bet Beagle signed on with the understanding he's competing with Walz for the starting spot.
Yep, I see it as a very open competition and perhaps even a split of time at the 5 if they are equal. Walz can't play the 4 but perhaps Beagle could get some time there.

Reactions: spider23
Yes, I would have to think that Beagle was told he would have the opportunity to win the job. BUT, let's look at our last successful NCAA appearance model. You had Grant - who was OK shooter and played mid post. Next to him you had a guy - Cayo - that was zero threat from outside of 10 feet. And that worked great. Because Cayo was so tough to stop down low that it got shooters wide open looks.

So, while this board has basically nixed the idea that they could play minutes together (not saying 30 side by side), how is that different than Golden / Cayo pairing? I guess Cayo was a lot quicker and could guard wings/stretch 4's better. But on offensive end this type of pairing worked and resulted in an NCAA apperance.
Again, I don't think they would play huge minutes together, but I think Walz in the high post dumping down to Beagle/Soulis could create some really nice mismatches.

Reactions: urfan1
I think perimeter defense, as you mentioned, would be an issue. most teams play 4-out. we did play Grace at the big forward ... which didn't work great. but at least Grace was a perimeter shooter.

I think with the roster as it stands, it's possible a big guy plays a forward spot. but we are going to add more guys in the portal. also, we have a couple of very impressive freshmen who may be ready earlier than usual.

Reactions: kneepadmckinney
Would be really interesting to double down with two 6-10ish guys in there together, especially if they can both do the things that we like our big men to do.

Would be really interesting to double down with two 6-10ish guys in there together, especially if they can both do the things that we like our big men to do.
I think we'd like our big men to be good passers and to shoot from the perimeter.
neither Beagle nor Walz appear to be passers at Quinn's level. and neither are shooters at Grace's level.

not sure why you'd expect us to turn back the clocks to the 1980's with 2 back-to-the-basket big men on the floor together. the game has become more about 3 point shooting and spacing so guys can get to the rim.

Well, everyone wants to shoot threes and dunk or make layups. Two 6-10 guys can dunk and make layups, so get three guards who can hit threes and we are all set!

Sman you love “best player plays” it’s your go-to.

Feel like we saw that Bailey despite being touted as having best offseason, didn’t start for what 5 games? And he was clearly one of our best players from game 1 this year.

Point being, it’s not always so simple. Coaches invest in players and sometimes make incorrect decisions based on those investments. Cline came off bench his RS soph year is another example until he didn’t. They don’t always get it right but it sorts itself out.

Feel like we saw that Bailey despite being touted as having best offseason, didn’t start for what 5 games? And he was clearly one of our best players from game 1 this year.

Point being, it’s not always so simple. Coaches invest in players and sometimes make incorrect decisions based on those investments. Cline came off bench his RS soph year is another example until he didn’t. They don’t always get it right but it sorts itself out.
lol. good point. guess it's best players eventually play.

Best players play, but you don't play five 6 foot guys and you don't play all bigs if they are your best players. You still have to have the right mix. Dji had a real good year, but likely didn't start at the beginning probably because we felt we needed 3 point shooting on the floor. Noyes had his chance, but didn't provide a big impact, so Dji was then the better option, and I give Dji credit for making an impact. I think it also helped Dji that King shot 41.4% from 3, Hunt 38.6, and Bigs 37.2. This allowed us to play Dji big minutes and also helped Dji get to the basket because we had 3 point guys out there. So, I think our roster will dictate how many minutes the bigs get and play together. Hard to guess right now.

yeah, if one of Walz/Beagle was a shooter it would be different. just don't thinkyou can play them together with both not appearing to be 3 point shooters. Soulis hit shots in his highlight video so maybe that's the way to play two bigs.

I do think we need to add a guard with great range. and Tyne needs to up his percentage.

yeah, if one of Walz/Beagle was a shooter it would be different. just don't thinkyou can play them together with both not appearing to be 3 point shooters. Soulis hit shots in his highlight video so maybe that's the way to play two bigs.

I do think we need to add a guard with great range. and Tyne needs to up his percentage.
You know me....I want as many 3 point shooters as possible out there. But, Nate and Grant worked together in 2020 when we had 3 great shooters in Jacob, Blake, and Nick with them, and it worked good, but not great with them in the regular season of 2022, but both Nate and Grant came up big at times in the A-10 tourney and the Iowa game that year. So, it can work with 2 bigs, but it would be best like you said if one is more of a shooter.

You know me....I want as many 3 point shooters as possible out there. But, Nate and Grant worked together in 2020 when we had 3 great shooters in Jacob, Blake, and Nick with them, and it worked good, but not great with them in the regular season of 2022, but both Nate and Grant came up big at times in the A-10 tourney and the Iowa game that year. So, it can work with 2 bigs, but it would be best like you said if one is more of a shooter.
agreed, and maybe we can put lineups out there where the other 3 on the floor are shooters.
Hunt had his best year shooting, but it was on low volume.
Tyne didn't shoot well.

If Walz got the confidence boost of starting and the team and coaches saying, "take that top of the key 3 pointer EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU ARE OPEN", I think he'd make about 40% of them. The stroke is good, it's just confidence.

40%?! I think we have another player's father on this board!

lol. in kneepad defense I do agree the stroke looks good. I think he can shoot the 3. 40% overall is crazy but maybe he meant the wide open top of the keys for that number. He was only 2 more makes from being 40% vs 30%. I know u don't think guys can improve much there (but Goose did as a few of us predicted) but volume skews it right now, I would look at mechanics. When he shot it I was pretty confident. He's better than Quinn at it, Soulis unknown, and doesn't currently look to be part of Beagle game. We don't have a Cline or a Geriot up top that's for sure. I wish & that would be great, but they bring more physicality.

He was only 2 more makes from being 40% vs 30%.
lol, well yeah. forget the fact he's made 6 in his career! come on.
Neal was 5-14 from three this year (35.7%) and hit his last 2 in a row. I guess we could say he should shoot that top of the key 3 every time too.

Walz was 6-20 from 3 and 6-11 from the foul line this year. nothing screams shooter. no, his form doesn't look like a shooter's to me. but yes, I hope he keeps working at it and getting better. I'd love him to be a threat out there.

Reactions: PASpider
Neal was 5-14 from three this year (35.7%) and hit his last 2 in a row. I guess we could say he should shoot that top of the key 3 every time too.

Walz was 6-20 from 3 and 6-11 from the foul line this year. nothing screams shooter. no, his form doesn't look like a shooter's to me. but yes, I hope he keeps working at it and getting better. I'd love him to be a threat out there.

just saying it's low volume. & NQ should have taken a few more of the wide open 3s at top of key too. In our O it's not a shot we should be passing up much. Very limiting. We need a big to be able to hit that with some decent consistency. Walz keeps the ball higher. NQ was more of a push, like Dji's. I can't say it screams shooter but what I saw at least showed more potential.

Reactions: spiderman

You watch brother -- the first St. Joe's game was a glimpse. He can do it. And yes, I meant top of key threes only.

Reactions: SpiderDogg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT