ADVERTISEMENT

Next year

Put me down in the category for not wanting my 7 foot players taking many 3's. If you are a big man, you are best suited to score down close to the basket.

I love when Barclay gets on Embiid for shooting 3's for the same reason. Yes Embiid is a decent 3 point shooter but literally no one can stop him inside, so you are always giving the defense what it wants anytime a big man is perimeter shots.

And we say the same thing defensively, you tip your cap if other teams center makes a 3, but you also acknowledge that our defense is hoping that they take that shot in the first place.

Disagree. Agree only if the 7 footer is a bad shooter from 3.

What do you do when you’re down 12? Post up your 7 footer nonstop? We saw first hand that does not work bc you can’t make up points if the other team is taking 3s (BC game best example where we fed Quinn entire 2nd half and game got away, point by point bc the possessions where we went 2 and they went 3 added up.)

National title game another example. Purdue was Purdone once they got down 9 bc their entire gameplan was feed Edey. And it worked, he scored a ton and UConn ran away. (Sidenote: how overmatched was Loyer in that game?)

Also fwiw, Embiid’s eFG% from 3 is 57% and from 2 is 56%.

agreed brooklyn.

Embiid's effectiveness from 3 spreads the floor. that doesn't show up in his stats, but it improves the 2 point shooting of his teammates. the paint is less clogged.

and while Embiid is good from 2, he's not putting up Shaq-like efficiency from there.

Reactions: urfan1
Blank slate. I guess this is a sign of the times in college basketball, but I can’t get excited by this type of roster. Last season had to fill 2-3 starting spots and this year have to fill 4. Seems like a monumental task for Mooney and staff.
100%. Not exciting. We have to be aggressive in this new landscape or this past season will be the best we get.

and while Embiid is good from 2, he's not putting up Shaq-like efficiency from there.
Embiid is also a nearly 90% FT shooter vs Shaq 52% FT percentage. He is shooting on average 11 FT's per game this year. So, when he is down low, he is accumulating fouls on the other team, getting to the line, and scoring from the line. He also imposes a physical punishing on whomever has to guard him, which just wears other teams down as well. Walz to a lesser degree obviously can use his large powerful body to wear down other teams as well, when he is down low.

I get what you both are saying, Embiid needs to be out on the perimeter at times and take some 3's from time to time to run the offense and spread the floor. But he is most impactful inside on a number of levels. As Walz will be for us, as Neil was this year in his most impactful games.

I thought Neal was pretty effective outside because he passed so well. he's not really a power guy despite his size.
Walz is more of a banger than Neal to me. I don't think we should run the offense through him as much as we did with Neal.

my point (and I think Brooklyn's) was that Embiid is equally effective shooting from 3 as he is from 2 ... statistically. and pulling his big defender out of the lane can help the effectiveness of his teammates.

but your point about Embiid drawing fouls (and converting) is a good one.

The Admiral, David Robinson was 6’4 I believe then grew to over 7 ft in a little over an 2 1/2 yrs at Navy. I am hoping for lightning to strike here too, wishful thinking!

The Admiral, David Robinson was 6’4 I believe then grew to over 7 ft in a little over an 2 1/2 yrs at Navy. I am hoping for lightning to strike here too, wishful thinking!
he was 6'7" (and growing) in high school when he committed to the Naval Academy.
the Naval Academy’s Superintendent had to grant him a waiver since the max height allowed was 6'6".

he was 6'7" (and growing) in high school when he committed to the Naval Academy.
the Naval Academy’s Superintendent had to grant him a waiver since the max height allowed was 6'6".

I did not know it was 6’6” I thought it was 6’7”. I believe Vernon Butler was 6’7” as well…

I did know the height limit is one of the reason they didn’t have many great centers.

I did not know it was 6’6” I thought it was 6’7”. I believe Vernon Butler was 6’7” as well…

I did know the height limit is one of the reason they didn’t have many great centers.
gotta be tough at 6'7" (or 7') to fit in a sub!

Reactions: urfan1
wow, looking at that empty corner behind the bench - no seats, no fans, just empty floor - makes me really appreciate the current configuration of the RC. Same for the baseline, current is better than the single row of chairs. Maybe it is just the tv angle, but I don't remember that at all from watching games in person.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT