ADVERTISEMENT

Next Season

spider23

Spider's Club
May 31, 2002
Dedmon Center USA
ruhoops.proboards.com
OK, to start - here is the "happy path" - in which we exceed all expectations and contend for an NCAA at large and finish near the top of the A10.

Guards - Jordan King. If he plays like did down the stretch for ETSU last year - he is a much more dynamic scorer at this position compared to anyone we had last year. He needs to carry that over for 30+ minutes per game. Dji - Health, health, health is the very obvious key. If he can stay healthy, we need him on the court for defense and playmaking. If he can give us 20 minutes a game of A+ defense, and make plays for others, will be a good fit next to King. He did shoot ~40% from 3 last year, if he can stay in that area then he becomes a huge factor in us winning games. And cut down turnovers - use his body to shield defenders vs try to dribble right through smaller defenders. We have a lot of guards again. If Dji can hold things down for 20 minutes/game, now we really just need to hit on two out of Smith, Roche (yes guard/wing - we will be playing small), Tyne, Hunt. Tyne and Smith are the most interesting to me. Roche, we know what he can do - with his mystery injury I feel like unfortunately he does not have much opportunity to up his game this off season. But he will be a contributor at some level. I believe if Tyne or Smith can come in and establish themselves as offensive threats in year one - that will be a huge benefit.

Forwards - Bigelow continues to play D, rebound, scrap, make athletic plays, AND would be very very helpful if they can fix his 3 point shot. Great FT shooter, but as sman was early to point out last year fades on his 3 point shot. If that can be corrected AND he has better shot selection - I do think this guy can shoot high 30's from 3. That would be huge, but mostly with our lack of interior depth he is going to need to provide toughness, rebounding and interior D. Noyes. Has the tools it seems. Needs to take next step. Why not in year 3? Tanner. Played at high level vs good comp in h.s. Can shoot it. We need one of those guys to be able to knock down 2-3 threes per game...And make contributions on the defensive/rebounding side.
Big men - Quinn looked very good at times last season, and Not so good at times. We need him to be consistently good to very good. And we need Walz to be able to come in and be impactful, and play 15+ minutes when needed. I do think the Grant Golden load management plan will be beneficial to Quinn to keep him fresh and away from injuries.
Coaching - Mooney needs establish guard pecking order early in the season, and figure out who can play and impact minutes and give them the minutes. Establish an identity. Let and help Boyden impose his will on defense. Adapt.

I know I am not very high on Mooney's off season - losing Burton and no replacement for he or Reed's loss is a big hit to the roster. But I do feel like we have enough players to win big in the A10. Just going to take a lot to go right.

I am thinking Hunt will start, and could see him being the 20+ minute guy there. I like King, Hunt, Bigs, and Quinn, with maybe Roche, if healthy and ready to go, or Noyes, being the other starter. If a 3 guard lineup is best for us, that is fine as well, but I think we would be better off starting Roche or Noyes, especially with King and Hunt being good ball handlers out there.

I also could see us using Quinn/Walz like we did Grant/Grace, getting Quinn a break early and keeping him fresh, and hopefully out of foul trouble. I like Tanner getting some time as a freshman, and he looks like he could definitely be a good one. At guard, I could see Dji coming in off the bench to bother an opponent's key scorer for awhile. Hopefully, Smith is as good as advertised and ready to see some time. If so, I could definitely see him getting more and more minutes as the year goes on. That is already 10 guys, so one or two of the bench guys I mentioned will likely have some low minute games. They just need to be ready when called on.

Not a knock on your take 4700, I am just curious as to why you are pegging Hunt as a starter? Admittedly, I don't know that much about him. But, stats say he was a very low percentage shooter, not a huge assist guy, and he is small. Not going to hold small against him, but in a back court with King getting big minutes, doesn't seem like a great fit - especially if he is not a big threat from outside. Yes, he has experience and looks to be scrappy. But my hope is that Tyne or Smith are ready early. Tyne in particular looks like he may be able to score at this level from the jump. But it is a big jump. I am very hopeful a healthy offseason allows Dji to make a big jump this year.
We are going to need a some internal improvement in order to have a good season.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
I can't play Tyne with King. that's too small. Tyne can battle for backup PG this year, and battle for starting or backup PG next.

at off guard, we know Mooney talked about Smith possibly playing 2 (with Nelson at the 1) and he's the same size as Hunt. so both of them are in the conversation to start with King. Roche should be in the conversation as well, though he might be seen as more of a forward by Mooney (maybe not if King is ball dominant). but Bailey succeeding here would seem to be our best scenario.

I assume Tanner is a SF, but who knows. maybe he's in the running here as well.
I'm pencilling him in at the SF battle between him, Roche and Noyes.

And I still say we start Tyne, King, Smith and Hunt...
35 minutes each...

Not a knock on your take 4700, I am just curious as to why you are pegging Hunt as a starter? Admittedly, I don't know that much about him. But, stats say he was a very low percentage shooter, not a huge assist guy, and he is small. Not going to hold small against him, but in a back court with King getting big minutes, doesn't seem like a great fit - especially if he is not a big threat from outside. Yes, he has experience and looks to be scrappy. But my hope is that Tyne or Smith are ready early. Tyne in particular looks like he may be able to score at this level from the jump. But it is a big jump. I am very hopeful a healthy offseason allows Dji to make a big jump this year.
We are going to need a some internal improvement in order to have a good season.
I hear you, 23, and that spot is probably wide open. I just think we need scoring, and to me, Hunt might be the best offensive option. He did make 28 3s on 35% shooting his freshman year, before sliding some the past 2 years. A small back court doesn't worry me at all. Never has. If Smith (or Tyne) is ready from day 1, and can be a scorer, I would not have any problem with either one starting there.

Last edited:
To me: Hunt was brought in to compete for a starting job alongside probably Dji. I think the freshman are freshman and they will be a bit further down in the pecking order unless one of them really shows out in practice or early in the season and is warranting more minutes.

JOC with a nice recap of the roster situation, part one focusing on the incoming transfers.

King/Hunt/Roche or Noyes/Bigs/Quinn

My prediction right now. Think we need a 3 pt guy out there in Roche or Noyes if ready. Hunt shooting inefficiencies concern me greatly but gives us another ball handler, he has heavy 3 year PT & scoring history & Moon has shown he’ll do the 2 small guards regularly. Then u can bring in Bailey as versatile backcourt sub anywhere 1-3. Freshman roles too hard to call.

Hey spiderDad how are the boys looking in Summer. Workouts?
Guys have been off this week for the holiday and live period. Hunt extremely fast..looks to get it and is gone, King super quick and very hard to guard, I would say can create his shot. Fr G from Canada, Mikkel looks to be maybe a steal, time will tell. That’s all I got right now.

May have to re-think the guard rotation, as it seems more likely that Hunt will get big minutes. Still worries me that we will have two smaller guards if he is playing next to King. I get that Gilly and Francis were really good. But both those guys could score it from range. I do like the positive feedback on Mikkel, I was happy with the pick up. That was a good get, and I will be very interested to see if he can get PT this year, and how he stacks up with Smith.

PA - I share your concern on rebounding. Quinn not bad, but he is only going to rebound in his space. Bigs should be good, but he can only do so much. I think it will be really important that Noyes can chip in here, he has the hops, whether he has the strength, toughness and nose for the ball remains to be seen. I think if Dji can win time in the guard rotation he can really help in this regard too. Also have to hope that Tyler Harris is willing and able to chip in and play some D and grab some rebounds.

One interesting note, in these videos with Hunt and King I have not noticed Dji at guard. Wondering if he is going to play more on the wing this year? Could make sense with the roster make up.
I think he is just behind too many guys at any spot, but I could see him getting a little time here and there for his defense.

I think he is just behind too many guys at any spot, but I could see him getting a little time here and there for his defense.
I could see him starting as a 3 with King and Hunt, as well as backing both up.
we don't know what's up with Roche. we're excited about Noyes but he didn't play much. Tanner and Smith are freshmen.

if Roche is fine ... we need shooting. but if not, I could see Dji getting 20+ mpg.

Reactions: urfan1
I like Dji at 3 a bit. He can do a little bit of everything, can defend and has shown a nose for the ball rebounding. Just keep him healthy I think is the main thing. If he can stay healthy I think he can contribute to winning, which is the key for me.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
I like Dji at 3 a bit. He can do a little bit of everything, can defend and has shown a nose for the ball rebounding. Just keep him healthy I think is the main thing. If he can stay healthy I think he can contribute to winning, which is the key for me.
His versatility is a big plus. You’re right health is the main thing and we are 🙏🏼 he stays healthy. His health has been his biggest issue. This will be a good year when he does.

OK, as we have added players and kind of got more info about Hunt, I now think our highest ceiling team looks more like this. Again, this is kind of assuming guys play at very top level, exceeding most common expectations:

PG - King. Dji and Smith backing up
SG - Hunt. Healthy Roche and Dji backing up
SF - Bigelow. This is 35% from 3 Bigelow, doing a little of everything. Noyes/Roche/Dji backing up
PF- Soulis. Bigs/Noyes backing up. I know, this is a huge leap of faith. I went back and did a little compare of some highlights of his vs. Andrew Carr's (Delaware/Wake) h.s. highlights. Ryan looks to be a little more athletic and physical ready than Carr was. Just comparing Carr b/c think they have similar skill set. I think soulis may have really the size and skill set to play alongside Quinn/Walz, more so than Grace was suited to do so. It's a big leap, but we need something like this to materialize to reach our highest ceiling.
C - Quinn. Backed up by Walz. Quinn seems to be having a good off season and gaining some great experience. Walz just needs to improve and with the minutes he played last year hoping he is much more adjusted to pace of the game.

This is what I think our highest ceiling team looks like. Looking for Noyes to hopefully grab a bigger role. If Soulis is not ready, then I think he eats a lot of minutes with Dji at the wing forward.

I think our highest ceiling team also has Smith challenging Hunt for minutes in the back court.

Reactions: Dr. Spidey
wow. some outside the box thinking there. bold.

I'm tempering my enthusiam with Soulis. he was a '24 who came early. this is a big jump. he hit shots in his highlights, but I'm not convinced he's a shooter. to me he's an athletic 5. and he's thin. I think he needs time to develop.

I'm sticking with chalk.
1) King gets all the minutes he can handle at the point.
2) Hunt sounds like the starting SG. Bailey, Smith, and Roche back up. I'm not ruling out Tanner long term as a 2.
3) it's wide open at the 3 but it's Roche if he's healthy. Bailey, Noyes, Tanner and Harris should all get consideration.
4) Bigs at big forward backed up by Harris.
5) Soulis battles Walz to back up Quinn and loses ... at least early on. Walz has a year in the system.

Reactions: kneepadmckinney
btw ... the more I read about Tyne the more I think he'll be the long term answer at the point with Smith at the 2. and Tyne will be a crowd favorite. lightning quick with a great handle and hits shots. he's been in the spotlight since 6th grade.

btw ... the more I read about Tyne the more I think he'll be the long term answer at the point with Smith at the 2. and Tyne will be a crowd favorite. lightning quick with a great handle and hits shots. he's been in the spotlight since 6th grade.
Any idea why he wasn't more heavily recruited? Just the size or something else?

Mountain, I would garner a guess that is why, lack of height on Tyne's recruiting. One of the writeups from AAU I read, mentioned his scoring ability was neutralized going against bigger guards in AAU play.

sman, if I had to bet, I would bet on your projection for Soulis this year. I think that is the biggest question, is he physically ready and able for this level? And yes was a true senior last year (I don't believe he had re-classed (not counting the re-class then declass :):)), so would expect a learning/adjustment curve as you imply. However, if is ready and can play right away, I do think that is our top line lineup.

Reactions: spiderman
Mountain, I would garner a guess that is why, lack of height on Tyne's recruiting.
agreed. we're listing him at 5'10" 180 but I've seen 5'9" 150 too.

not everyone wants a guard that small. which is why we got Jacob Gilyard and Kendall Anthony. Tyne did have offers from Oral Roberts (net 50), Drake (net 59), UCSB (net 103), and Eastern Michigan (net 321).

I read he's a terrific perimeter defender.

no problem getting in the lane and scoring against bigger players in those highlights.
and nice shooting form. love the quickness and steals.

shouldn't compare every smaller guard to Gilyard, but ...

Any idea why he wasn't more heavily recruited? Just the size or something else?
Probably his size, I’m glad he was overlooked!
no problem getting in the lane and scoring against bigger players in those highlights.
and nice shooting form. love the quickness and steals.

shouldn't compare every smaller guard to Gilyard, but ...
why not?

Reactions: spiderman
Tyne looks to have a pretty compact build, and he doesn't look as small as I would have thought, either. Seems like a playmaker. Should be fun to watch.

Tyne wasn't putting up 50 burgers in high school is his point. Tyne looks more like an Isiah Wilson type player than a Gilly to me. A defensively minded, very strong, compact guard.
I wouldn’t be shocked if Mikkel played more than Smith this season, but I’m just speculating. But I don’t think it would be a ton of minutes from either. I think the Srs are going to get a lot of mins but again jmo and speculation.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Mikkel played more than Smith this season, but I’m just speculating. But I don’t think it would be a ton of minutes from either. I think the Srs are going to get a lot of mins but again jmo and speculation.

we have many years of evidence to support the theory that the upperclassmen will get their PT

Tyne is a 1 while Smith can play 1 or 2.
I expect King to get Gilly type minutes. so not much time this year for a backup point.

Reactions: VT4700
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT