ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year Roster

I really don’t want to see Tyler trying to fill a PF/4 role, he doesn’t project to me as a great interior threat and feel like we need someone who can be a bit of a banger if our other big is going to play the “point forward” role.

matt is ok in that role but think we pretty clearly need more help at the PF.

Reactions: spider23
I really don’t want to see Tyler trying to fill a PF/4 role, he doesn’t project to me as a great interior threat and feel like we need someone who can be a bit of a banger if our other big is going to play the “point forward” role.

matt is ok in that role but think we pretty clearly need more help at the PF.
Agree on all points. An athletic PF type would be nice. I'd be interested in Carr out of Delaware. Not the classic springy type we are thinking of but has gotten better and better and has some bounce, length and skill.

Stephens could probably go to almost any school in the country. UNC and Duke fans want him. I would love to have him but I'm sure it ain't happening, so getting Quinn (who can play here multiple years) is the next best option. I'll take it!

Reactions: Ferrum Spider
Noyes would get killed at the 4 unless he's planning on smashing creatine and anabolic steroids over the summer.
Agree…needs to add muscle or at very least strength. The 3 and the 4 for are pretty much the same in our system. I think the main issue will be will he be able to guard?

Reactions: Zeeter
Agree…needs to add muscle or at very least strength. The 3 and the 4 for are pretty much the same in our system. I think the main issue will be will he be able to guard?

not w Cayo they weren’t. The 3/4 had quite different roles offensively. We adjusted it w Cayo playing back to the basket primarily. In other years w other personnel I’d agree similar roles.

Any chance we can still get Stephens ?

I'm sure its a pretty pre-steph curry thought process but I would love another big.

We could probably use a shooter but I'm more willing to roll the dice with what we have returning there as I think there is talent just needs experience. Rotating Grace-Stephens-Quinn at the 4 and 5 could be an absolute nightmare for any team to adjust to. Stephens can already shoot the rock anyways. Imagine the in and out games we could run with a big man on the inside and having the other trail to take a 3?

IDK just thinking aloud here though I want to see what other people are thinking?

not w Cayo they weren’t. The 3/4 had quite different roles offensively. We adjusted it w Cayo playing back to the basket primarily. In other years w other personnel I’d agree similar roles.
Maybe, don’t necessarily agree, but moving forward with our current personnel they are same

I'm sure its a pretty pre-steph curry thought process but I would love another big.

We could probably use a shooter but I'm more willing to roll the dice with what we have returning there as I think there is talent just needs experience. Rotating Grace-Stephens-Quinn at the 4 and 5 could be an absolute nightmare for any team to adjust to. Stephens can already shoot the rock anyways. Imagine the in and out games we could run with a big man on the inside and having the other trail to take a 3?

IDK just thinking aloud here though I want to see what other people are thinking?
I'm not sure how good our chances of getting Stephens were anyway. But I'm not sure how much getting Quinn adversely affected them. Unless he is adamant about not playing a lot of his minutes at the 4...

Stephens is probably one of the top 10 transfers this season. I don’t think we are on his radar, especially after the Quinn commit. Quinn is probably a top 50 transfer and a great fit here, a really good get by the coaching staff.

it was either Quinn of Stephens, no way both in my opinion. they're both 5's. neither can play 4 in today's game.

like Dad said, our forwards can be similar. if we got Stephens, I'd prefer a banger at the 4. Quinn isn't the perimeter shooter though that Stephens is. so I would like a shooter at the 4. maybe a guy like Abercrombie.

I still think we'd be best with Burton there. he'll board like crazy, and will defend better vs 4's. plus he'll pull 4's on our offensive end. and it opens up a starting spot for Crabtree or Goose at the 3.

Grace gets 20 mpg backing up the 4 and 5 if he wants it.

I wonder if you put Grace in the Patriot league and played him 35 minutes/game, what type of numbers he would put up? This is not a knock on Quinn, I think a very good pick up for us. I just think Grace and Quinn are more comparable, I could be wrong. I do think Quinn is a very good fit and will be able to adjust into the same high post/top of key facilitator like Grant. It is nice to have him two years too, as we can see if Walz is ready or we need more help down the road at the 5.

I wonder if you put Grace in the Patriot league and played him 35 minutes/game, what type of numbers he would put up? This is not a knock on Quinn, I think a very good pick up for us. I just think Grace and Quinn are more comparable, I could be wrong. I do think Quinn is a very good fit and will be able to adjust into the same high post/top of key facilitator like Grant. It is nice to have him two years too, as we can see if Walz is ready or we need more help down the road at the 5.
No offense, but I truly hope Grace and Quinn are not comparable. 7ft 260 has to be much better than 6’9” 170. By the way, how is Quinn with foul trouble?

No offense, but I truly hope Grace and Quinn are not comparable. 7ft 260 has to be much better than 6’9” 170. By the way, how is Quinn with foul trouble?

played 30 mpg, never fouled out, averaged under 2 fouls per game.
some here will say that means he doesn't play defense.
Those who watch the 10-minute online highlight video vs. Rutgers will get an answer regarding Quinn's defense.

Quinn scored effectively in the low post in that game.

Reactions: urfan1 and SpiderK
Those who watch the 10-minute online highlight video vs. Rutgers will get an answer regarding Quinn's defense.

Quinn scored effectively in the low post in that game.
I found a 5 minute highlight which shows some good footwork and passing from Quinn. can't get a feel for his defense yet.

Reactions: SpiderK
This is what should be our lineup next year. I actually love this team.

Here is an exercise for the start Burton/Grace/Quinn all at the same time crowd.

Write down all our viable options at the five, and then all of our viable options at the four. If you're writing down people who have never played a college game before, are under 6'7", or 200 or fewer lbs, you are doing it wrong.

So now you've got Quinn/Grace for the 5, and Burton/Grace for the 4. This obviously lends itself to start Burton and Quinn, with Grace the backup for both of them.

Now go look up Grace's stats by clicking this link and ask yourself why you wanted him stealing minutes from our numerous capable guards in the first place. Grace is a fine backup, but we have better options for starters.

Only way any of this changes is if Mooney lands a quality 4/5 in the portal, which doesn't look too likely at the moment.

Here is an exercise for the start Burton/Grace/Quinn all at the same time crowd.

Write down all our viable options at the five, and then all of our viable options at the four. If you're writing down people who have never played a college game before, are under 6'7", or 200 or fewer lbs, you are doing it wrong.

So now you've got Quinn/Grace for the 5, and Burton/Grace for the 4. This obviously lends itself to start Burton and Quinn, with Grace the backup for both of them.

Now go look up Grace's stats by clicking this link and ask yourself why you wanted him stealing minutes from our numerous capable guards in the first place. Grace is a fine backup, but we have better options for starters.

Only way any of this changes is if Mooney lands a quality 4/5 in the portal, which doesn't look too likely at the moment.
Respectfully disagree, who in that lineup hasn’t played a college game? Do we want Burton at the 4? I don’t at least not a bunch. Am I reading it wrong?

Reactions: MrTbone
Lots of combos that we've talked about already, but think of this lineup as our BIG lineup :oops:🕷️🏀 I like as a big lineup
Dji 6'6
Goose 6'5
Tyler 6'7
Matt 6'10
Neal 7'
I assume you have Quinn starting at the 2, since he's going to be working on nothing but threes all summer? Think how he will dominate smaller guards...

• Haha
Reactions: SpiderDad75
Respectfully disagree, who in that lineup hasn’t played a college game? Do we want Burton at the 4? I don’t at least not a bunch. Am I reading it wrong?
The lineup you posted is fine until you have to go to the bench. There are 80 minutes to fill at the 4/5 spots. What does your lineup look like after five minutes when both Quinn and Grace need to come out for a breather, particularly if you want Burton to say at the 3? That is when you end up with freshman and/or undersized players at those spots. I'd rather go a little smaller than be forced to give Noyes significant time at the 4 or Walz significant time at the 5. That is, unless you have great insider news on those players :)

yes, I want Burton at the 4.
if you start Grace at the 4, I guess you're counting on Walz coming in when either Quinn or Grace need a break? not sure I'm ready to commit to that, but fine if he's ready day 1.

this can all change if we add a traditional big forward in the portal, but until then I'm starting:
5: Quinn
4: Burton
3, 2, 1: any 3 of the following 4 - Goose, Connor, Dji and Jason

During the end of year run Mooney only played Golden and Grace at the 5, he still put them on the court together about 7 minutes per game.

If Walz doesn't get any minutes we could still have Quinn playing 30 (which was his average this season) and Grace playing 10 at the 5, and Grace playing 15 at the 4. Grace could easily start at the 4 in this scenario. Give Walz 5 minutes and we have

5: Quinn 28 / Grace 7 / Walz 5
4: Grace 18 / Burton 22 (who else do we have that can play the 4?)

With Grace starting at the 4.

It will be very interesting to see what lineups the team runs with next season, there are a lot of possibilities.

During the end of year run Mooney only played Golden and Grace at the 5, he still put them on the court together about 7 minutes per game.

If Walz doesn't get any minutes we could still have Quinn playing 30 (which was his average this season) and Grace playing 10 at the 5, and Grace playing 15 at the 4. Grace could easily start at the 4 in this scenario. Give Walz 5 minutes and we have

5: Quinn 28 / Grace 7 / Walz 5
4: Grace 18 / Burton 22 (who else do we have that can play the 4?)

With Grace starting at the 4.

It will be very interesting to see what lineups the team runs with next season, there are a lot of possibilities.
Your scenario is a bit more reasonable, but it still has Burton getting the majority of the minutes at the 4. There are some here who don't want him to play at all there. Keep in mind last year when Grace and Golden played together we had Golden, Cayo, and Sal still on the team. We have fewer post players on the roster at this time, so I think Burton/Quinn/Grace all on the floor will be a rare event.

The lineup you posted is fine until you have to go to the bench. There are 80 minutes to fill at the 4/5 spots. What does your lineup look like after five minutes when both Quinn and Grace need to come out for a breather, particularly if you want Burton to say at the 3? That is when you end up with freshman and/or undersized players at those spots. I'd rather go a little smaller than be forced to give Noyes significant time at the 4 or Walz significant time at the 5. That is, unless you have great insider news on those players :)
Gotcha…makes more sense. My lineup was simply if we want to go big, that’s it. No insider news, just pondering lineups 😀✊🏼

Lots of combos that we've talked about already, but think of this lineup as our BIG lineup :oops:🕷️🏀 I like as a big lineup
Dji 6'6
Goose 6'5
Tyler 6'7
Matt 6'10
Neal 7'
The size is good, but what do the 3 pointers look like? We need to at least come close to matching Jacob at the PG spot from 3. We weren't very good from three last year. We certainly can't afford to be worse from there next year. Hard to win consistently without the 3 ball.

It looks pretty good if Quinn & Grace are both going to play more minutes next season than Gilyard did this season... ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT