ADVERTISEMENT

Offseason Blueprint

spider23

Spider's Club
May 31, 2002
Dedmon Center USA
ruhoops.proboards.com
OK, now can re-focus on Richmond basketball, what needs to happen this offseason. We are stuck with Mooney, so may as well get on board that we can get some players, can make some changes, and have a good season and make the NCAA's next season.

1) Boyden / Defense - One thing I liked last season is bringing in Boyden, and Mooney ceding some of the defensive reigns over. Thought the team played with more intent and toughness on D, especially at the start of the season, before the wheels fell off. Let's let Boyden instill this more, it needs to be an everyday practice thing and instilled from day 1. Saw too many practice clips in the preseason of Quinn having his way with Walz down low. Walz needs to come in with a mentality that he is going to stop him every time and vice versa. This has been a complaint of mine for years, the overall softness on D, and practice seemingly. I think Boyden took steps toward fixing that, it does not happen over night. Needs to be an all day every day mentality. I think Bigelow can be a big part of this. Dji too if he can stay healthy and get a little stronger.
2) Guard play - Probably some of the most average guard play we have had in a while. We did not have guards that could create or make tough shots, like has been the norm in the past with Gilly, Francis, Gonzo, Brothers, KA, and on and on. And I am not sure what we have next year. PG - Nelson seems to be the only pure pg on the roster currently. Smith - seems like he played off ball a bit in h.s. but I could be wrong on that. Dji - like his length, quickness - but think of him as more of a point forward type. This will be a key decision for Mooney this offseason. Do you bring in an established pg from the portal. Does he think Nelson is that guy, and with a season to shake off the rust will show major improvement. Is Smith ready. Can Dji be an option? Off guard - Again, some solid players in Roche and Randolph. Both have some very valuable skills, quick release, confidence and can make 3s. But neither is a Gonzo or Francis type. So they have to have plays made for them. We absolutely need a guard in the portal, whether a point, off guard, combo whatever that score, and score at three level preferably. AND defend.
3) Forwards. If Burton decides to return we are in good shape here IMO, if Bigs is back too. These guys are both physical and I love Bigs effort on D. I want him playing minutes for his competitive spirit, defense, and rebounding, whether or not his 3 pointer returns. If, I know a big IF, both Burton and Bigs back and improve/get back to their top 3 point shooting seasons, this is an elite forward combo in the A10. I like Dji and Randolph in this rotation too. All that said, in this portal era - I think we do need to bring in an athletic 3 point shooter. O'neil would have been the perfect type. As we know, it is probably asking too much for both Bigs and Burton to be back, and to both shoot it great from 3. We can hope but need to plan that we have another athletic 3 point shooter, and we should be able to find in the portal.
4) Center - I think we are in good shape here. Again, PLEASE have open competition and implore Walz to win the job. Thought Quinn looked very good at times, but has athletic limitations. Need to have both guys fighting for their basketball lives.

I know this does not address the Triumvirate issue, which is the core problem, but this is the path to a good season and and NCAA season next year. We need to hit a home run on two starter level players in the portal, hope Burton comes back, and have at least 2 returners take a substantial jump. Lot to ask, but doable.

OK, now can re-focus on Richmond basketball, what needs to happen this offseason. We are stuck with Mooney, so may as well get on board that we can get some players, can make some changes, and have a good season and make the NCAA's next season.

1) Boyden / Defense - One thing I liked last season is bringing in Boyden, and Mooney ceding some of the defensive reigns over. Thought the team played with more intent and toughness on D, especially at the start of the season, before the wheels fell off. Let's let Boyden instill this more, it needs to be an everyday practice thing and instilled from day 1. Saw too many practice clips in the preseason of Quinn having his way with Walz down low. Walz needs to come in with a mentality that he is going to stop him every time and vice versa. This has been a complaint of mine for years, the overall softness on D, and practice seemingly. I think Boyden took steps toward fixing that, it does not happen over night. Needs to be an all day every day mentality. I think Bigelow can be a big part of this. Dji too if he can stay healthy and get a little stronger.
2) Guard play - Probably some of the most average guard play we have had in a while. We did not have guards that could create or make tough shots, like has been the norm in the past with Gilly, Francis, Gonzo, Brothers, KA, and on and on. And I am not sure what we have next year. PG - Nelson seems to be the only pure pg on the roster currently. Smith - seems like he played off ball a bit in h.s. but I could be wrong on that. Dji - like his length, quickness - but think of him as more of a point forward type. This will be a key decision for Mooney this offseason. Do you bring in an established pg from the portal. Does he think Nelson is that guy, and with a season to shake off the rust will show major improvement. Is Smith ready. Can Dji be an option? Off guard - Again, some solid players in Roche and Randolph. Both have some very valuable skills, quick release, confidence and can make 3s. But neither is a Gonzo or Francis type. So they have to have plays made for them. We absolutely need a guard in the portal, whether a point, off guard, combo whatever that score, and score at three level preferably. AND defend.
3) Forwards. If Burton decides to return we are in good shape here IMO, if Bigs is back too. These guys are both physical and I love Bigs effort on D. I want him playing minutes for his competitive spirit, defense, and rebounding, whether or not his 3 pointer returns. If, I know a big IF, both Burton and Bigs back and improve/get back to their top 3 point shooting seasons, this is an elite forward combo in the A10. I like Dji and Randolph in this rotation too. All that said, in this portal era - I think we do need to bring in an athletic 3 point shooter. O'neil would have been the perfect type. As we know, it is probably asking too much for both Bigs and Burton to be back, and to both shoot it great from 3. We can hope but need to plan that we have another athletic 3 point shooter, and we should be able to find in the portal.
4) Center - I think we are in good shape here. Again, PLEASE have open competition and implore Walz to win the job. Thought Quinn looked very good at times, but has athletic limitations. Need to have both guys fighting for their basketball lives.

I know this does not address the Triumvirate issue, which is the core problem, but this is the path to a good season and and NCAA season next year. We need to hit a home run on two starter level players in the portal, hope Burton comes back, and have at least 2 returners take a substantial jump. Lot to ask, but doable.
Solid post...I'm not sure why some are saying Bigelow isn't returning. Haven't heard anything about him not coming back, just the opposite. I would say we need a strong scoring guard and maybe a 3/4 guy. Either way def a shooter or 2.

5 - I like Quinn. love Walz's effort but not sure he'll ever be a scorer. Quinn is gone next year. I'd like to add another, or at least a 4/5 type.
4 - I'm excited for full-time Bigelow. unless we get Burton back we desperately need another bigger forward as 23 mentioned. O'Neil was definitely a fit as we need shooting.
3 - I'm probably higher on Tanner than most. really excited for him. but he and Noyes are as unproven as can be. yeah, we could play Roche or Randolph or even Dji at the 3, but I could see adding competition here.
2 - have to play Roche, Randolph or maybe Smith here. or another shooter who can attack more. can't bring in a non-shooter.
1 - I think we have a lot of talent here, especially if Smith is legit. it wasn't good enough last year. adding competition can't hurt but may be tough to land a guy we can't promise time to. we'll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: plydogg
Sdad, great to hear that there is nothing to hear about Bigs leaving, haha. Just in the portal era it would not have surprised. Love to have him back.

Sman - I knew I was forgetting someone, and that was Noyes. If I am correct, he red shirted one season, played in a limited role this past season. Definitely has some skills and hops, it is now or never time for him. Also high on Tanner, but if we can bring in a 3/4 type - not seeing a huge path for PT as a freshman.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
IF Collin can pick up the offense I think he can be helpful and can bring much needed shooting but I'm not to sure how much PT like you say 23 the Fr are going to get. I also think Noyes can also be a valuable piece this coming season. I know guys are already back in the weight room and working out and would like to see our guards get some more muscle and become stronger. But I want all our guys to get stronger for that matter.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I'm tired of going through these exercises every off-season when we know what's going to happen next season: not a whole lot. The next time a Mooney team without a bunch of all-time juniors and seniors makes the tournament will be the first.

LOL, EL. What a strange post. So, we have to make the dance with a bunch of freshman and sophomores, or a bunch of non quality juniors and seniors to satisfy you? "2020 and 2022 was good Mooney, but you had players then....same with 2010 amd 2011......you need to prove you can make the dance with just average guys". LOL. By the way, UCONN has now won 5 titles, but the next time they win it all with just average or below average talent will be the first.

As for "going thru these exercises", did you know what would happen in 2020 and 2022 when we went thru them pre season?

As for "going thru these exercises", did you know what would happen in 2020 and 2022 when we went thru them pre season?
This IS what happened, in 2020 we didn't play in the NCAA Tournament. The was no tournament! We were a solid bubble team headed into the A10 tournament. A career year for CM. Because there was no tournament and 2021 was an odd year our super seniors came back! So in 2022 we finished 6th in the A10 with the most experienced team of all time and required a miracle run through the A10 tournament to qualify for the NCAA for the first time in over a decade. A great two weeks, but not a blueprint for success. EL is right! We pretty much know, with few exceptions, what next year will be. And it isn't good.

LOL, EL. What a strange post. So, we have to make the dance with a bunch of freshman and sophomores, or a bunch of non quality juniors and seniors to satisfy you? "2020 and 2022 was good Mooney, but you had players then....same with 2010 amd 2011......you need to prove you can make the dance with just average guys". LOL. By the way, UCONN has now won 5 titles, but the next time they win it all with just average or below average talent will be the first.

I'd be decently happy if we made the tournament even every four years with each iteration of a junior/senior-heavy team. But we don't.

So when so many of our own all-time greats never sniffed the tournament here, it's not even as easy as thinking we have a great chance to make it every four years.

Looking at next year's team, if Burton comes back, we have one all-time great and a bunch of average pieces. If he doesn't come back, we have zero. Show me where I'm wrong to feel less than excited about Mooney's chances of leading that team to the tournament?

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Mooney has been here 2005 to now. 18 seasons (assuming I did the math right). 3 NCAA tournament appearances. There’s no way to get 4 in 14 out of that.

Of course, all you have to do is go back further and there are numerous options of how to account for 4 appearances in a period of less than 14 years.

‘84, 86, 88, 90, 91, 98, 04

Regardless - seems like the missing ingredient for most of the last decade has been toughness. Guys that just plain hate to lose at anything. That fight for every rebound, every minute of playing time, every box out, every loose ball, etc. we need a couple of those guys. Players that refuse to let someone tell them they can’t win. Our teams used to be scrappy overachievers. Let’s put more fight into our guys. Mooney seemed to have plenty of fight when he was hired - let’s get it back.

I'd be decently happy if we made the tournament even every four years with each iteration of a junior/senior-heavy team. But we don't.

So when so many of our own all-time greats never sniffed the tournament here, it's not even as easy as thinking we have a great chance to make it every four years.

Looking at next year's team, if Burton comes back, we have one all-time great and a bunch of average pieces. If he doesn't come back, we have zero. Show me where I'm wrong to feel less than excited about Mooney's chances of leading that team to the tournament?
You are correct. With or without Burton, next year's team is almost certainly not going to the NCAA tournament. You can bet on this the same way that you could bet on UCONN to win last night.

Even IF Mooney is able to land 2 very good players in the portal, he does NOT know how to put new pieces together for success. He has proven this time and time again. Last year was a shining example, and next season is going to be 2.0. To think that Mooney will suddenly "get it" and and become a jigsaw puzzle Jedi is the epitome of wishful thinking.

Mooney struggles to figure out who should be in the lineup, AND when. Roche, Nelson, Bigelow, Randolph, Goose, and Grace are shining examples from last year. He doesn't get bench players enough time to develop properly. Noyes, Bailey, and Walz are prime examples of this Mooney "area of needed improvement." When he has a developmental team (or transitional as Hardt would say), Mooney has demonstrated that he isn't good at assessing what he has, and then putting the correct assortment of pieces together.

The only time that Mooney even comes close to getting it right is when he has a team loaded with 4-5 and/or 6-year players. And, he isn't normally a shining star even then, as evidenced by the 2022 team's 8th place conference finish and overall mediocre record.

It is my opinion that next year will not be a good time to plan a March vacation at an NCAA host city. If he proves me wrong, I will be happy to eat my words, I'm not worried at this point.

You are correct. With or without Burton, next year's team is almost certainly not going to the NCAA tournament. You can bet on this the same way that you could bet on UCONN to win last night.

Even IF Mooney is able to land 2 very good players in the portal, he does NOT know how to put new pieces together for success. He has proven this time and time again. Last year was a shining example, and next season is going to be 2.0. To think that Mooney will suddenly "get it" and and become a jigsaw puzzle Jedi is the epitome of wishful thinking.

Mooney struggles to figure out who should be in the lineup, AND when. Roche, Nelson, Bigelow, Randolph, Goose, and Grace are shining examples from last year. He doesn't get bench players enough time to develop properly. Noyes, Bailey, and Walz are prime examples of this Mooney "area of needed improvement." When he has a developmental team (or transitional as Hardt would say), Mooney has demonstrated that he isn't good at assessing what he has, and then putting the correct assortment of pieces together.

The only time that Mooney even comes close to getting it right is when he has a team loaded with 4-5 and/or 6-year players. And, he isn't normally a shining star even then, as evidenced by the 2022 team's 8th place conference finish and overall mediocre record.

It is my opinion that next year will not be a good time to plan a March vacation at an NCAA host city. If he proves me wrong, I will be happy to eat my words, I'm not worried at this point.
The only time Mooney gets it right is with 4th, 5th, or 6th year players? The only time? We had 0 seniors on our 2020 team.

Unfortunately, this echos my feelings for next year. Mooney can build a team over time, but he hasn’t shown the ability to put anything together quickly. I was expecting to see a team that improved over the year last year and instead I saw a total mess. I am sure some are going to cite the fact that CM did not complete the season due to his emergency surgery, but the damage was done before he left. I also have no confidence that he will be able to get multiple impact players out of the portal. We know the types of players he is going to target and day 1 impact is not going to be the key metric.

As far as Tyler goes, if he comes back it would be because he was able to get a good NIL deal and the RC game time experience is tons better than any G League environment. In order for the Spiders to be better than last year, Tyler would have to be option B and the question is who can be the go to guy. We saw CM try to make Nelson a primary option with zero results and we saw Bigelow was happy to attempt the big shots with no results too. It is hard for me to believe that the answer is going to come from the portal.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Come on Native, this is the time of year we have to be optimistic. But I do understand your concern. We regressed as the season wore on.

Some positives
1) As noted by another poster - No MFG/Quinn paring. Loved me some MFG at times, but just not enough presence and athleticism when pared with Quinn. Just too soft together. A common complaint of mine.
2) We do have opportunity in the portal. Mooney was able to land Quinn and Roche last off season - the reason I highlight these two is that they had p6 interest and offers. So there is a little evidence of winning recruiting battles. I do think we need two scorers, and as noted one that is good enough with the ball that Burton is essentially option 1B.
3) Fresh start. As we know, moon can be loyal to a fault. For all the positives that Goose brings on the court (and there are quite a few), he was not the scorer we needed this year. Next year we have opportunity to improve here via portal, Smith, Nelson, etc. Best man plays.
4) Burton comes back. Nothing yet, but if it happens that is a big pick up.

Wow goalposts being moved waaaay back here. I’ll assist.

2020 - Grant, Blake and Nick were 4th year players and Jacob and Nate were 3rd year. Those were our starters. I’d call that a heavily upperclassmen led team regardless of their junior/senior status despite the protests here. And no, UR was not a stone cold lock in 2020 when the season ended despite arguments here. Most predictions had UR squarely on the bubble, some in some out.

And I’ve posted this before but it supports the argument that others are trying to dismiss. Mooney does need cycles of heavily led upperclassmen teams. This shows the pattern.

1st 6 year cycle (aka Geriot cycle) - Winning % .562
This is Year 1 through Geriot's graduation. I extended it to 6 years bc year 1 was a massive program overhaul year to give Moon the benefit of his first recruiting class (which included Geriot) going all the way through to graduation.
2 NCAAs, 1 A10 Tournament title, 0 A10 Regular Season titles.
Key players: Geriot, Anderson, Harper, Gonzalvez, Butler, Brothers.
Note: NCAAs were in years 5 and 6 of the cycle.

2nd 5 year cycle - Winning % .548
5 years for a graduation cycle plus a redshirt/transfer in year.
0 NCAAs, 0 A10 Tournament titles, 0 A10 Regular Season titles.
Key players: Lindsay, Brothers, Anthony, Allen, Jones, Cline.
Note: 1st team left out of NCAAs in year 4 of the cycle.

3rd 6 year cycle (aka Golden/Sherod cycle) - Winning %.570
Extended to 6 years bc of COVID shortened year extended the graduation cycle by a year.
1 NCAA, 1 A10 Tournament title, 0 A10 Regular Season titles.
Key players: Cline, Jones, Buckingham, Sherod, Fore, Golden, Gilyard, Cayo, Burton.
Note: NCAA was in year 6 of the cycle.

4th cycle - started this year - Current winning % .455

Wow, Blake had only played 2 years of college ball and none with us before our 2020 season, and Grant and Nick had injuries costing them a year, and you say I am the one moving the goalposts? How many coaches and teams at our level would you expect to make a lot of noise with a bunch of freshman and sophomores as their key players? This is why I don't get the Mooney can only win with upperclassmen talk. Well, yes, that is probably true for most anyone in our conference. How many times have teams dominated by freshman and sophomores won titles in our conference? My guess is it is very rare. This is right up there with the KA and Jacob bailed out Mooney talk, as if teams are not supposed to and don't have great players play great when they win titles.

Wow, Blake had only played 2 years of college ball and none with us before our 2020 season, and Grant and Nick had injuries costing them a year, and you say I am the one moving the goalposts? How many coaches and teams at our level would you expect to make a lot of noise with a bunch of freshman and sophomores as their key players? This is why I don't get the Mooney can only win with upperclassmen talk. Well, yes, that is probably true for most anyone in our conference. How many times have teams dominated by freshman and sophomores won titles in our conference? My guess is it is very rare. This is right up there with the KA and Jacob bailed out Mooney talk, as if teams are not supposed to and don't have great players play great when they win titles.
While I agree completely that upperclassmen led teams typically win more, I would point out that the goal is to not have to wait 4-6 years to get a team there.

At least up until now, most of the better coaches and successful programs try to field teams that are a strong blend of Freshman, Soph's, Junior, Senior, and Grad players (the portal may well change this in the future). New players arrive each year to supplement the team, and hopefully improve upon weaknesses. Most programs do not have 5 or 6-year windows of 50% success. If they do, the Coach gets fired.

I do predict that the portal will be the reason that the Mooney era will eventually come to an end. He will continue to struggle with blending new pieces together yea-after-year. It is my opinion that over time, these struggles will encourage him to retire. Of course, at Richmond, Mooney gets to choose when the time is right.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Like 23 said, this is the time of year to be optimistic. With that being said here are some thoughts going into next season.

1) Quinn - he developed as the year went on and if he can be a 10/5/4 guy I would consider that a transfer success.

2) Bigelow - He shot 50% from 2 last season and 26.5% from 3. The downside is he shot 113 threes vs 98 shots inside the arc. Love what he brings defensively and brings tenacity on the glass. Better shot selection and he could be a 10/7 type of guy next season.

3) Nelson - The PG in waiting ended up having a season equivalent to getting a sweater for Christmas. Even with that he was our 4th leading scorer. If the expectation on this season was “the next great Richmond PG” then I would be disappointed. If the expectation on the season was freshman PG years removed from playing competitively then I think he fared about how you’d expect him to. I’m expecting improvements in Year 2.

4) Dji - He can defend anybody on the floor and isn’t afraid to rebound on both sides of the floor. I think he replaces Goose as our best defender and I wouldn’t be surprised if he tops Goose’s points, rebounds, and assist totals in 2023 while playing fewer minutes.

5) Roche - I think we all were disappointed by the season he had, but most of that frustration was in not getting him more designed open shots. It seemed throughout most of A10 play that his shot selection was to take a contested/out of rhythm 3 just because he’s the 3 point guy. His 3 point percentage only dropped 1.2% from The Citadel, so he clearly still has it. I hope part of this offseason is working more with him on getting to those spots and getting him the ball.

6) Noyes - We really didn’t see much of him, but what we saw we liked. He looked more athletic than expected and like the potential threat from the outside that we badly need next season. At the end of the day he only took 15 shots this season, so we really don’t know what that looks like over a full season of 10-15 minutes per game. Where does he play and can he defend?

7) Walz - He was forced into some action early on but did look noticeably better in his minutes at the end of the season. Still though, nowhere near enough tape to have any idea what to expect next season. Only the work he puts in can decide that.

After this I don’t know what we’ll have. Hopefully a couple transfers to add to incoming class. Right now I’m optimistic we can get another piece or two to help out. Ideally somebody who can start, but we need players who can at least make a positive impact.

Unfortunately, I'm tired of going through these exercises every off-season when we know what's going to happen next season: not a whole lot. The next time a Mooney team without a bunch of all-time juniors and seniors makes the tournament will be the first.
This is accurate.

The original back-to-back team with Anderson, Geriot, Harper, Butler, etc - those teams were Junior/Senior heavy and we usually had 1 frosh and/or soph in the rotation as well. But main contributors - juniors/seniors.

Then we fast forward to 2019 team, right before COVID hit and the tourney was cancelled - that was a team of mostly Juniors - won 24 games, but everything cancelled. Then next season was COVID year and would be senior years with short season - willing to give pass because of COVID. But following year - super-senior year 24 wins and needed A10 title to get into tourney. But that was a team of mostly super-seniors and Burton.

So I think fair to say - when we have a team of about 5 solid upperclassmen who have played together for multiple years, and then add 1-2 new pieces - we are successful.

I guess Obi Toppin was just an inexperienced sophomore then and not 4 years removed from high school when he led Dayton to its best ever season, 29-2 and 3rd in AP poll.

Wait, are they an A10 school? And a SOPHOMORE led them to such heights? I’ve been led to believe it is an impossibility.

I guess Obi Toppin was just an inexperienced sophomore then and not 4 years removed from high school when he led Dayton to its best ever season, 29-2 and 3rd in AP poll.

Wait, are they an A10 school? And a SOPHOMORE led them to such heights? I’ve been led to believe it is an impossibility.
By who? I didn't say this. Read my post again before making stuff up, and, by the way, their other 4 starters were 2 juniors and 2 seniors.

Lol. Your arguments are all hilarious to me. Narrowcasting to your own reflection at its finest.

Look at the cycles of the program and dispute that. The evidence that this is a 55% program that cycles to year 4 or 5 with upperclassment starting fives is 18 years deep. This is year 2. You seem fine with hoping for one bubble season two or three years from now. I’m not.

I think you’re being a bit hyperbolic and transposing the argument. There are definitely a variety of teams that have starting lineups featuring underclassmen
With A10 success. VCU this year for the most part started 2 seniors, a junior and 2 sophomores. Sometimes it was three SO and only 1 senior. So other schools are doing it with less experienced guys and succeeding.

It’s hard to argue that there’s not a direct correlation between longevity and ncaa appearance in our program under CM. It’s objectively demonstrable.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I think you’re being a bit hyperbolic and transposing the argument. There are definitely a variety of teams that have starting lineups featuring underclassmen
With A10 success. VCU this year for the most part started 2 seniors, a junior and 2 sophomores. Sometimes it was three SO and only 1 senior. So other schools are doing it with less experienced guys and succeeding.

It’s hard to argue that there’s not a direct correlation between longevity and ncaa appearance in our program under CM. It’s objectively demonstrable.
?? Uh, I never said good teams did not start underclassmen. I guess you also need to read my post again. VCU had 2 guys average in double figures: a senior and a junior who was the POY. Looks like as always you are just reaching here to find a way to counter my point.

Last edited:
?? Uh, I never said good teams did not start underclassmen. I guess you also need to read my post again. VCU had 2 guys average in double figures: a senior and a junior who was the POY. Looks like as always you are just reaching here to find a way to counter my point.
Your quote was:

“How many times have teams dominated by freshman and sophomores won titles in our conference? My guess is it is very rare.”

For starters, I said it was a hyperbolic
Statement, no one was saying we have to win with a team dominated by underclassmen, that’s what you said.

I merely pointed out that the most recent a10 champion had significant minutes played by underclassmen.

Your quote was:

“How many times have teams dominated by freshman and sophomores won titles in our conference? My guess is it is very rare.”

For starters, I said it was a hyperbolic
Statement, no one was saying we have to win with a team dominated by underclassmen, that’s what you said.

I merely pointed out that the most recent a10 champion had significant minutes played by underclassmen.
Uh....yes.....I said dominated by freshmen and sophomores......and then you responded with a team whose scoring leader was a senior and who had a junior who was POY. ?????????????? Like you have done recently, it's like you find a post of mine, and say......how can I counter that....even if you have little to counter it with.

Last edited:
if the argument is that Mooney only wins with older teams, maybe we'll be fine this year!

Burton and Bigelow are already 23. Quinn's probably 22. Roche will be 22 at the start of the season. and we're likely going to add a couple veterans in the portal.

if the argument is that Mooney only wins with older teams, maybe we'll be fine this year!

Burton and Bigelow are already 23. Quinn's probably 22. Roche will be 22 at the start of the season. and we're likely going to add a couple veterans in the portal.
Roche will be 22? Did he go on a Mormon mission and I missed that somewhere?

i would love to have a good 18 year old point guard on this team, Let's hope we have one.

Remember Roche prepped a year after high school (but couldn't play due to pandemic cancelation) and this will be third year of college, so 22 not particularly abnormal.

R
Like 23 said, this is the time of year to be optimistic. With that being said here are some thoughts going into next season.

1) Quinn - he developed as the year went on and if he can be a 10/5/4 guy I would consider that a transfer success.

2) Bigelow - He shot 50% from 2 last season and 26.5% from 3. The downside is he shot 113 threes vs 98 shots inside the arc. Love what he brings defensively and brings tenacity on the glass. Better shot selection and he could be a 10/7 type of guy next season.

3) Nelson - The PG in waiting ended up having a season equivalent to getting a sweater for Christmas. Even with that he was our 4th leading scorer. If the expectation on this season was “the next great Richmond PG” then I would be disappointed. If the expectation on the season was freshman PG years removed from playing competitively then I think he fared about how you’d expect him to. I’m expecting improvements in Year 2.

4) Dji - He can defend anybody on the floor and isn’t afraid to rebound on both sides of the floor. I think he replaces Goose as our best defender and I wouldn’t be surprised if he tops Goose’s points, rebounds, and assist totals in 2023 while playing fewer minutes.

5) Roche - I think we all were disappointed by the season he had, but most of that frustration was in not getting him more designed open shots. It seemed throughout most of A10 play that his shot selection was to take a contested/out of rhythm 3 just because he’s the 3 point guy. His 3 point percentage only dropped 1.2% from The Citadel, so he clearly still has it. I hope part of this offseason is working more with him on getting to those spots and getting him the ball.

6) Noyes - We really didn’t see much of him, but what we saw we liked. He looked more athletic than expected and like the potential threat from the outside that we badly need next season. At the end of the day he only took 15 shots this season, so we really don’t know what that looks like over a full season of 10-15 minutes per game. Where does he play and can he defend?

7) Walz - He was forced into some action early on but did look noticeably better in his minutes at the end of the season. Still though, nowhere near enough tape to have any idea what to expect next season. Only the work he puts in can decide that.

After this I don’t know what we’ll have. Hopefully a couple transfers to add to incoming class. Right now I’m optimistic we can get another piece or two to help out. Ideally somebody who can start, but we need players who can at least make a positive impact.
And Randolph?

And Randolph?
I knew I would miss someone, I didn’t omit him on purpose.

Feel like Randolph can be a nice defender off the bench to help up the tempo and play in your face defense. He only shot 45 threes but he did shoot 40%. Maybe he can be a guy to consistently knock them down and be a catch and shoot option as well. Another guy who is going to get out what he puts in. He seems like the type to put in the work.

I knew I would miss someone, I didn’t omit him on purpose.

Feel like Randolph can be a nice defender off the bench to help up the tempo and play in your face defense. He only shot 45 threes but he did shoot 40%. Maybe he can be a guy to consistently knock them down and be a catch and shoot option as well. Another guy who is going to get out what he puts in. He seems like the type to put in the work.
Actually who you are missing is Tanner, and his 7 for 7 from three… per half. :)

This is why I don't get the Mooney can only win with upperclassmen talk.
Yes, VT you are off ignore (know how relieved you must be :) ),

The point is Mooney can't win with under or upperclassmen more than 55% of the time which should be totally unacceptable to any Spider fan. How you or anyone defends his record defies logic, if you value a nationally relevant Spider basketball program.

Most of us have had more than enough of barely average.

Lol. Your arguments are all hilarious to me. Narrowcasting to your own reflection at its finest.

Look at the cycles of the program and dispute that. The evidence that this is a 55% program that cycles to year 4 or 5 with upperclassment starting fives is 18 years deep. This is year 2. You seem fine with hoping for one bubble season two or three years from now. I’m not.
Absolutely. It's really rare to have an almost two decade sample size of data on a coach at the same high major school...I'll let that sink in...but such a large amount of data spells it out clearly. Coach Mooney is a 55% winner. We (UR) program support him almost unconditionally with extensions and 55% expectations (with the rare Christmas present every 6-7 years of a tournament appearance). This zebra isn't changing it's stripes. If folks want to be a 55% winning program and continue to get dominated by our city rival (Mooney has a losing record against every VCU coach since he's been at UR) then so be it but hoping that these data points are going to change substantially in year 19 seems as illogical as many of the pro Mooney folks that think all of us "keyboard warriors" are for being frustrated with our administration's lack of high expectations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT