ADVERTISEMENT

Next year

That's what I wonder too. Who else does this in the nation? Clearly no one to the extent that we do, hence why we were dead last in it. It would be one thing if it routinely had us racking up 25+ wins and conference titles, but this year was basically the exception to the 18-year rule when it comes to winning the league. I would LOVE to hear him offer a detailed explanation of this philosophy, because it sure feels like we end up giving away more points than we are saving AND it makes us have to play almost flawlessly on offense, which at some point becomes unsustainable (as we saw at the end of the season).

Reactions: 8legs1dream
No love for Smith & Tanner ?
Both guys are skilled, no doubt - just extremely limited time so a bit untested. So hard to tell - if you watch warmups, Jack Graham looks like a dunking all-star. Extremely difficult to discern without more experience. Robinson and McLaughlin coming in are in similar boats. Then again, Tyne surprised us all.

Reactions: urfan1
That's what I wonder too. Who else does this in the nation? Clearly no one to the extent that we do, hence why we were dead last in it. It would be one thing if it routinely had us racking up 25+ wins and conference titles, but this year was basically the exception to the 18-year rule when it comes to winning the league. I would LOVE to hear him offer a detailed explanation of this philosophy, because it sure feels like we end up giving away more points than we are saving AND it makes us have to play almost flawlessly on offense, which at some point becomes unsustainable (as we saw at the end of the season)
3 worst in NCAA are Vermont 345, Colgate 298, and Kansas(?) 291

How many seasons have we been better than 320, would 280 be that difficult to reach?

Anyone able to find the +/- for minutes that Walz is on the floor vs Quinn this season? It is a big jump for him to play starter minutes next season, but hopefully he is up for it. It is an unknown.
Walz is an unknown in a starters role, and Soulis is a total unknown.
they may end up great next year but we won't know until the hype machine starts up in the fall.

I don’t feel ill at the prospect of starter Mike Walz. He plays tough D, rebounds hard, is an above average passer and has a better looking mid/outside shot than Quinn.

Just need to expect you’re not getting 13ppg from him in all likelihood. But that opens up shots for other guys.

I’d like to see someone who can push Waltz. ,The big Greek kid will help.
But watching JMU tonight really showed how speed and shooting can beat
pretty much anyone.

Reactions: SpiderGuy
Long term, other way around I believe. Next season will tell the tale.

Also like that Walz had 3 fewer offensive rebounds than Quinn while playing only a third as many minutes. More physical. Willing to mix it up underneath while a good passer at top of key.

More upside than Quinn had IMO.

I like him with the right cast around him. I just think expecting 13 ppg is way too aggressive. that's like Grant Golden production. please tell me you don't see him as a Grant Golden type on the offensive end.

you can dream. that's what the offseason is about.
but I'm going to keep realistic expectations. I don't think he's that kind of offensive player. he averaged under 3 ppg this year in 11 mpg. I like him. he plays defense, passes pretty well and rebounds. he can block a shot. put guys around him that can score.

I think by conference you may well see 13ppg from Mike.
We’re going to need numbers like that. We usually get good points from center position think - TJ, GG, NQ. We are losing a lot of points with the guys we lose…so we need others to step up. Want to see Waltz take shots when they are there and not try to make one additional pass or try to thread the needle to tight. He could be really good in low post. Use your size to advantage & be a force, Waltz.

I like him with the right cast around him. I just think expecting 13 ppg is way too aggressive. that's like Grant Golden production. please tell me you don't see him as a Grant Golden type on the offensive end.
Did you see Grant as a Grant type after his true freshman year? Before he was lost for the season his true freshman year, he played in 9 games, averaging about 7 minutes and 2 points a game. Walz averaged about 11 minutes and 3 points a game this year. The following year, Grant averaged 15.6 ppg. Best case is we have enough scorers around Walz where we won't need 15 a game, maybe not even 12 a game, but he is a legit 6'11 and has shown some good offense in his limited minutes, so I am counting on numerous double digit scoring games from him.

I hope you're right. might not have a choise. it's hard to land a good big in the portal anyway. maybe there are late HS kids available like with Tyne. I think we need a 3rd, as we have no idea what we have in Soulis.
It's hard to land a good big because there just aren't that many of them. Looking at MD's transfer log, only 4 of the 38 are 6'8 or taller. I feel good about Walz and think he puts us better at the big position than what a lot of other A-10 teams will have out there. This doesn't mean we don't need to add more size. Losing Quinn, Bigs, and Harris means of course we do, but I am looking to add guys with Walz, not instead of Walz.

I’d like to somehow land the best big forward/4 man available in the portal. Too much to ask? That would make me very excited about next years team. A big guard or scoring guard would also be nice but big wing or 2 needs to be top priority.

we need to replace the scoring we are losing
image.jpg

I’d like to somehow land the best big forward/4 man available in the portal. Too much to ask? That would make me very excited about next years team. A big guard or scoring guard would also be nice but big wing or 2 needs to be top priority.
Yeah, that's too big an ask. The best 4 is going to go P6 and get half a million or more. We're not fishing in that pond.

One thing I like about Walz. Was when he called rankings "bullshit" when getting interviewed by Brosephs a few weeks back. I cant ever recall a Spider player interview saying anything other than typical PR stuff. Feel he's cut from a different loin personality wise and looking forward to seeing what he could do with an increased role.

Yes, Walz is an interesting dude. I missed that inteview - but I like it. He is not super polished on offense, but he does seem able to make shots, and has shown some ability to hit mid range and long range shots. I remember an interview last year and we were all kind of laughing because he sounded like a 40 year old dad, very sharp and grounded and mature.
I will say, I was worried that he was a guy that was happy to be here and wait his turn. I did think he came into this season improved all around, and though inconsistent had some really nice games. Walz and Soulis had big time offers, so that is promising too. As we know, big men are more scarce so that factors in too, but they were coveted. IF Walz can continue that progression he showed from year 1 to year 2 - that would be huge. I think if Soulis is healthy he can be a contributor. But we do need some type of re-inforcement. I like both Soulis and Robinson long term, but for next season don't think we can rely on them for huge minutes.

ok let’s take a chance on a transfer down P6 athletic guy at 6’7, a big forward who’s a proven scorer and can shoot from a lower league, and and exact Jordan King clone but he’s also 6’4. Not too much right?

We can't replace Giambi.

I knew the character it was based on, Paul Depodesta, now works for the Browns actually but was Dodgers GM at one point. He wouldn't let movie use his NIL. He refused NIL money!! Didn't like portrayal. Went to school with him briefly for couple years, but didn't know him well. Really smart, blah athlete. Better than Jonah Hill tho.

I do consider a power conference offer a big time offer. Especially they had a real good coach at that time that is now in the ACC.
almost all power conference offers are big time. a few aren't like DePaul and Rutgers. I consider Penn State pretty equal in offer status as Richmond. glad Walz did too.

almost all power conference offers are big time. a few aren't like DePaul and Rutgers. I consider Penn State pretty equal in offer status as Richmond. glad Walz did too.
Equal? Penn State has had four 4 star recruits since 2015, all top 100 guys. Their top 15 all time recruits ( 11 of them are 2015 or later) were all rated higher than our top guy.

Reactions: spider23
I am going to have to agree with 4700 here. For recruits coming out of h.s. p6 is a different level. We have identified guys that end up being top 100 guys early and offer, then they go p6. Maybe we have 1 or 2 top 100 right out of hs? And at least 1 was Tarrant era. Guys that we beat out ACC legit offers that I can recall are Curtis Blair - Wake - and likely would have been much more had he not committed early. And Stevenson and NC State. Dji was committed to Wake, but that was a little different with the late coaching change.

if PSU is attracting a lot of talent, they must have horrible coaching. because they go 7-13 in conference pretty often.

• Haha
Reactions: GKiller
if PSU is attracting a lot of talent, they must have horrible coaching. because they go 7-13 in conference pretty often.
Sure, they get talent. Just not as good as what the top half of the Big Ten gets. Their recruiting has definitely picked up since around 2015, and they had some decent years IC recently: 9-9 in 18, 11-9 in 20, and 10-10 in 23.

Last edited:
Reactions: spiderman

lol but its the great B10. 4 out of 6 teams get blown out in 1st or 2nd round and it's actually a really good March.

• Haha
lol but its the great B10. 4 out of 6 teams get blown out in 1st or 2nd round and it's actually a really good March.
Agree, the Big Ten is usually way overrated, but it's not like they don't have plenty of highly talented players every year. They just need a few more. I was just posting facts on why I don't think we recruit at the same level as PSU. Next year, PSU has a 4 star top 100 guy going there, along with at least one and maybe another top 250 guy. This doesn't mean we haven't gotten some great recruits here because we definitely have. And, I am pretty excited about McGlothin and Robinson coming in here next year.

Last edited:
I do think the NIL should benefit PSU. their donors probably lean towards football, but there have to be some well healed hoops fans there.

Reactions: VT4700
Interesting here’s a thread I told vt4700 about a week ago to slow his roll on dji not transferring.

But that’s not why I’m responding that’s just a bonus. I came across this list, didn’t know where to put it & not sure it deserved own thread. Maybe it does idk.

Top 100 non major/mid major asst coaches. None of our guys. Surprised. Just not viewed very favorably to outsiders for whatever reasons. Maybe seen as yes men or dinged for Mooney’s relatively weak coaching tree in 20 years.

Our assistants have only been assistants here for a few years. I would think that has a lot to do with it. I think we have an excellent group. I guess you don't? Gipe is kicking butt in the portal and with recruiting, Boyden has taken our defense up a notch or two, and Campbell has years of head coaching experience. People on here like to say I am way too positive on here, but you sure do reach for things to be negative about.

Reactions: gcarter52
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT