ADVERTISEMENT

Offseason Blueprint

Like 23 said, this is the time of year to be optimistic. With that being said here are some thoughts going into next season.

1) Quinn - he developed as the year went on and if he can be a 10/5/4 guy I would consider that a transfer success.

2) Bigelow - He shot 50% from 2 last season and 26.5% from 3. The downside is he shot 113 threes vs 98 shots inside the arc. Love what he brings defensively and brings tenacity on the glass. Better shot selection and he could be a 10/7 type of guy next season.

3) Nelson - The PG in waiting ended up having a season equivalent to getting a sweater for Christmas. Even with that he was our 4th leading scorer. If the expectation on this season was “the next great Richmond PG” then I would be disappointed. If the expectation on the season was freshman PG years removed from playing competitively then I think he fared about how you’d expect him to. I’m expecting improvements in Year 2.

4) Dji - He can defend anybody on the floor and isn’t afraid to rebound on both sides of the floor. I think he replaces Goose as our best defender and I wouldn’t be surprised if he tops Goose’s points, rebounds, and assist totals in 2023 while playing fewer minutes.

5) Roche - I think we all were disappointed by the season he had, but most of that frustration was in not getting him more designed open shots. It seemed throughout most of A10 play that his shot selection was to take a contested/out of rhythm 3 just because he’s the 3 point guy. His 3 point percentage only dropped 1.2% from The Citadel, so he clearly still has it. I hope part of this offseason is working more with him on getting to those spots and getting him the ball.

6) Noyes - We really didn’t see much of him, but what we saw we liked. He looked more athletic than expected and like the potential threat from the outside that we badly need next season. At the end of the day he only took 15 shots this season, so we really don’t know what that looks like over a full season of 10-15 minutes per game. Where does he play and can he defend?

7) Walz - He was forced into some action early on but did look noticeably better in his minutes at the end of the season. Still though, nowhere near enough tape to have any idea what to expect next season. Only the work he puts in can decide that.

After this I don’t know what we’ll have. Hopefully a couple transfers to add to incoming class. Right now I’m optimistic we can get another piece or two to help out. Ideally somebody who can start, but we need players who can at least make a positive impact.
Your point regarding optimism is valid. We all need hope for the future.

HOWEVER, unrealistic hope is one of the reasons that Mooney is still employed by Richmond. He gets a fresh start every year, regardless of what the overall performance data shows. Those of us who have been around throughout the Mooney era have been burned by false hope MANY times over the last 19-years. Every year hope springs eternal (and he gets another chance), but, most years the results (overall performance) have been underwhelming. The same issues rear their head year-after-year. That cannot be a coincidence.

If one chooses to swallow the poison pill again this year, that is the individual's prerogative. But, I think that many know how the medicine is going to taste, therefore they are hesitant to have it shoved down their throat again. Thus, apathy, mistrust, and unhappiness with the program's direction abounds. Though all have a right to choice, voluntarily taking a heavy dose of this year's pre-season poison isn't going to change the performance.

Last edited:
Your point regarding optimism is valid. We all need hope for the future.

HOWEVER, unrealistic hope is one of the reasons that Mooney is still employed by Richmond. He gets a fresh start every year, regardless of what the overall performance data shows. Those of us who have been around throughout the Mooney era have been burned by false hope MANY times over the last 19-years. Every year hope springs eternal (and he gets another chance), but, most years the results (overall performance) has been underwhelming. The same issues rear their head year-after-year. That cannot be a coincidence.

If one chooses to swallow the poison pill again this year, that is the individual's prerogative. But, I think that many know how the medicine is going to taste, therefore they are hesitant to have it shoved down their throat again. Thus, apathy, mistrust, and unhappiness with the program's direction abounds. Though all have a right to choice, voluntarily taking a heavy dose of this season's poison isn't going to change the performance.
I can’t take credit for the point on optimism, that was 23’s point - I just used it in my post

• Haha
Reactions: spider23
I will say my optimism is very cautious. And would probably be a lot less if SDSU had got knocked out again in the first round.

But similar to last season, we know Moon is not going anywhere, so we have to live on hope for next season. If Burton is back, we should be improved. We should pick up a couple scorers in the offseason, and hopefully all our returners improve and no regression.

I think the one player I am most interested to see year 2 of is Jaynel. I am not ready to write him off, I do understand the concerns though.

23 I’m not ready to write off Jaynel either. Remember, Peyton Manning threw 28 interceptions his rookie season. Now I don’t think Jaynel is going to be the best QB of all-time (suck it Brady) but I think a freshman struggling after replacing an all-time great in Gilyard isn’t all too surprising.

Maybe he’ll be like Geno Smith, “they wrote me off, I ain’t write back tho”.

OK, now can re-focus on Richmond basketball, what needs to happen this offseason. We are stuck with Mooney, so may as well get on board that we can get some players, can make some changes, and have a good season and make the NCAA's next season.

1) Boyden / Defense - One thing I liked last season is bringing in Boyden, and Mooney ceding some of the defensive reigns over. Thought the team played with more intent and toughness on D, especially at the start of the season, before the wheels fell off. Let's let Boyden instill this more, it needs to be an everyday practice thing and instilled from day 1. Saw too many practice clips in the preseason of Quinn having his way with Walz down low. Walz needs to come in with a mentality that he is going to stop him every time and vice versa. This has been a complaint of mine for years, the overall softness on D, and practice seemingly. I think Boyden took steps toward fixing that, it does not happen over night. Needs to be an all day every day mentality. I think Bigelow can be a big part of this. Dji too if he can stay healthy and get a little stronger.
2) Guard play - Probably some of the most average guard play we have had in a while. We did not have guards that could create or make tough shots, like has been the norm in the past with Gilly, Francis, Gonzo, Brothers, KA, and on and on. And I am not sure what we have next year. PG - Nelson seems to be the only pure pg on the roster currently. Smith - seems like he played off ball a bit in h.s. but I could be wrong on that. Dji - like his length, quickness - but think of him as more of a point forward type. This will be a key decision for Mooney this offseason. Do you bring in an established pg from the portal. Does he think Nelson is that guy, and with a season to shake off the rust will show major improvement. Is Smith ready. Can Dji be an option? Off guard - Again, some solid players in Roche and Randolph. Both have some very valuable skills, quick release, confidence and can make 3s. But neither is a Gonzo or Francis type. So they have to have plays made for them. We absolutely need a guard in the portal, whether a point, off guard, combo whatever that score, and score at three level preferably. AND defend.
3) Forwards. If Burton decides to return we are in good shape here IMO, if Bigs is back too. These guys are both physical and I love Bigs effort on D. I want him playing minutes for his competitive spirit, defense, and rebounding, whether or not his 3 pointer returns. If, I know a big IF, both Burton and Bigs back and improve/get back to their top 3 point shooting seasons, this is an elite forward combo in the A10. I like Dji and Randolph in this rotation too. All that said, in this portal era - I think we do need to bring in an athletic 3 point shooter. O'neil would have been the perfect type. As we know, it is probably asking too much for both Bigs and Burton to be back, and to both shoot it great from 3. We can hope but need to plan that we have another athletic 3 point shooter, and we should be able to find in the portal.
4) Center - I think we are in good shape here. Again, PLEASE have open competition and implore Walz to win the job. Thought Quinn looked very good at times, but has athletic limitations. Need to have both guys fighting for their basketball lives.

I know this does not address the Triumvirate issue, which is the core problem, but this is the path to a good season and and NCAA season next year. We need to hit a home run on two starter level players in the portal, hope Burton comes back, and have at least 2 returners take a substantial jump. Lot to ask, but doable.
5. oUR pathetic excuse of a coach needs to leave or be fired. Nothing will change otherwise

Reactions: Spiders4ever
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT