ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year Roster

I recall an interview with Mooney a couple years ago in which he actually called out the Villanova model as one he was trying to follow. Our problem is that we have not had enough shooters to make it work. One other note, Villanova - at least under Jay Wright - was pretty darn impressive on defense too.

Reactions: urfan1
OK, my updated roster for next season did not age well - and that was a good thing - shifted things around a little with our two newest, based on current skill sets:

Guards Senior - Dji, Roche, Hunt Soph - Smith, Tyne

Wings - Junior Noyes, Soph - Tanner, Frosh - McGlothin

PF/C - Junior - Walz , Soph - Soulis, Frosh- Jaylen

Good balance. Bunch of these guys have ability to play multiple positions or position less - Dji, Noyes, Tanner, and McGlothin all seem to have skill and length to fit in at multiple spots.

OK, my updated roster for next season did not age well - and that was a good thing - shifted things around a little with our two newest, based on current skill sets:

Guards Senior - Dji, Roche, Hunt Soph - Smith, Tyne

Wings - Junior Noyes, Soph - Tanner, Frosh - McGlothin

PF/C - Junior - Walz , Soph - Soulis, Frosh- Jaylen

Good balance. Bunch of these guys have ability to play multiple positions or position less - Dji, Noyes, Tanner, and McGlothin all seem to have skill and length to fit in at multiple spots.
2 months 1 day and I will be loud shockingly

Yes. Looks like the rule was changed this summer.
I guess the refs all got extra fingers…

It’s not a bad strategy. None of those zebras are going to want to look stupid trying to hand signal #16 to the scorers table.

yes, they'll survive. but I'm old school. numbers that used to be illegal just don't look right on basketball players ... to me.
So #89 is straight out?

So no passes to the Tight End...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: spiderman
Buried a bit in this JOC article is his guess at a starting lineup: King, Hunt, Noyes(!), Bigelow, Quinn. I assume this was a group that was running together frequently during the first pratice. Nice to see Noyes getting an opportunity, but I do think it's a lot to ask a guy who played 52 total minutes last year to be a day 1 starter.

We all know he has the talent to break out, let's see if it ends up the case!

Buried a bit in this JOC article is his guess at a starting lineup: King, Hunt, Noyes(!), Bigelow, Quinn. I assume this was a group that was running together frequently during the first pratice. Nice to see Noyes getting an opportunity, but I do think it's a lot to ask a guy who played 52 total minutes last year to be a day 1 starter.

Several combo of guys have been put together through out the summer and early Fall, but usually starts to pan out in 1st couple of weeks of official practice, at least since we've been here.

I wonder if Roche's "injury" is playing into Noyes running with the starters right now.

I feel like King, Hunt, Bigelow and Quinn are pretty locked in.
the other spot may change 5 times between now and the first game between Noyes, Roche, Bailey, and Harris.

I'm not sure we have enough shooting between King, Hunt and Bigelow ... so Roche and Noyes make sense.
if we're comfortable with the shooting, Bailey or Harris would add defense.

Noyes seems like a shooter and he had some wow moments athletically. I just wish he earned a few more minutes last year to be comfortable, but it's tough behind a guy like Burton. maybe he's the guy.

Mooney and Quinn talking about this year's team dynamic. Hunt and Quinn as vocal leaders, lots of quickness on the roster, etc.

Seeing a quick team will be a nice chance of pace. I think there is no doubt that the team has gotten more athletic over the last few years. Whether that translates to wins or not we will see, but at least Mooney has recognized what he has and is pushing the team that way.

(As an aside - Welcome back SpiderDad. Hope the new school year is treating you well.)

Seeing a quick team will be a nice chance of pace. I think there is no doubt that the team has gotten more athletic over the last few years. Whether that translates to wins or not we will see, but at least Mooney has recognized what he has and is pushing the team that way.

(As an aside - Welcome back SpiderDad. Hope the new school year is treating you well.)
Appreciate it 😀 I was still around, just life stuff has kept me from being more active. The school yr gets tougher and tougher each yr but I think that’s me getting old 😂 I’ve got five yrs then retiring and happily live off my VA disability and lil state check 🫠 I am ready to get the season started and praying for a healthy year🙏🏼🕷️🏀

Appreciate it 😀 I was still around, just life stuff has kept me from being more active. The school yr gets tougher and tougher each yr but I think that’s me getting old 😂 I’ve got five yrs then retiring and happily live off my VA disability and lil state check 🫠 I am ready to get the season started and praying for a healthy year🙏🏼🕷️🏀
Ah yes, retirement. Ready for it.

I guess the implication from article is we'll play faster too but it wasn't asked or said by Mooney. I'm a little skeptical bc we have pretty deliberate schemes. I don't see our tempo changing in the halfcourt O. So it would have to come from playing fast defensively & full court pressing more, or fast breaks off live ball turnovers/missed buckets. It would have been interesting to hear how we planned to use that speed beyond layup lines. Out of all those I think pressing more would be how the speed shows up, for us. Whether that is the intention we'll find out.

Gkiller, completely agree - this is not unique to Mooney, but it always looks good in practice - then HOW will it be employed in real games is the question. And will there be a commitment to it? Again - this is not necessarily a knock on Mooney - I would hear this from the Dutcher camp at SDSU a lot of years, and then in conference play would see the 62-58 grinders.

It does seem like we have a fast back court. If Tyne and Smith make the adjustment, and add in Dji to that mix - it does seem we have the dawgs to press a little bit. We have had success with that going all the way back to the "posse" days. But yes, its more of a believe it when I see it thing.

Will be quite interesting to see how Roche is used. Between the off season injury, and all the newcomers, seems like he is the forgotten man so far. I think he is too good a shooter to not play quite a bit, and have a sneaky feeling he will be quite impactful.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I guess the implication from article is we'll play faster too but it wasn't asked or said by Mooney. I'm a little skeptical bc we have pretty deliberate schemes. I don't see our tempo changing in the halfcourt O. So it would have to come from playing fast defensively & full court pressing more, or fast breaks off live ball turnovers/missed buckets. It would have been interesting to hear how we planned to use that speed beyond layup lines. Out of all those I think pressing more would be how the speed shows up, for us. Whether that is the intention we'll find out.
I don't see us pressing a whole lot. King and Hunt look like they will get a lot of minutes and I doubt we want them tiring out from pressing most of the game. I could definitely see an emphasis on going fast after a turnover or long rebound, sometimes even a normal rebound if King or Hunt sees a good lane early.

"I don't see our tempo changing in the halfcourt O. So it would have to come from playing fast defensively... or fast breaks off live ball turnovers/missed buckets."

If I had to guess G, this is prob it. especially the last part.

Got the The Almanac, and some Noyes hype going on there as well:

Noyes has been one of the most pleasant surprises for Mooney and staff this offseason.

“He took a more traditional path,” said Mooney of Noyes’ redshirt year. “With his added strength and increased sense for what we want to do, he’ll be competitive and could have a big year.”

Noyes was ranked as the No. 5 player in Ohio per 247Sports’ Class of 2021 rankings, and he should be among Richmond’s best shooters this season. He was a 47% 3-point shooter as a high school senior and shot 4-of-7 in limited run last year.

Big X factor for us this year. Hope the added strength can allow him to play good D and rebound. If he and Bigelow exceed expectations this season that could go a long way to a good season.

Got the The Almanac, and some Noyes hype going on there as well:

Noyes has been one of the most pleasant surprises for Mooney and staff this offseason.

“He took a more traditional path,” said Mooney of Noyes’ redshirt year. “With his added strength and increased sense for what we want to do, he’ll be competitive and could have a big year.”

Noyes was ranked as the No. 5 player in Ohio per 247Sports’ Class of 2021 rankings, and he should be among Richmond’s best shooters this season. He was a 47% 3-point shooter as a high school senior and shot 4-of-7 in limited run last year.

Big X factor for us this year. Hope the added strength can allow him to play good D and rebound. If he and Bigelow exceed expectations this season that could go a long way to a good season.
Anything else notable from our coverage in the Almanac this year?

Anything else notable from our coverage in the Almanac this year?
Mooney wants Neal to look to score more.
ball stuck too much last year. scoring was too reliant on one player.
After a brief tumble down the A-10 standings, the Spiders should be a factor in the league title race in 2023-24.
picked us 7th (out of 15). Dayton #1.

and Blue Ribbon:

per Mooney, the pair of playmakers (Hunt and King) will benefit Roche the most because of the collapsing and rotations. he'll get a lot more shots.

Mooney said Bailey had probably the best summer of anyone on our team. he'll play more small forward than guard now which should allow him to thrive given his defensive acumen and physicality.

picked 10th

Good stuff sman. Great to hear the feedback on Dji. Interesting because I had noticed he was not really mentioned as much with the guards. He can contribute from the wing.

I liked the part about Mooney talking about the ball sticking last year. Again, not saying we are better without Burton by any means, but will be interesting to see hopefully increased ball movement. Every year I go in thinking we will have multiple three point threats, and seems like it doesn't materialize. Between Noyes, Tanner, Roche, King, Bigelow, and Dji - it would be nice to have 3-4 guys shoot it 35+%. Ideally Noyes and Bigelow both hit this number or better next year.

Reactions: urfan1
Mooney did say he felt we have more shooting. we'll see.

I don't know how easy it will be for Dji to get time at the 3 if Noyes starts there and Roche is getting more shots (presumably playing the 3 or 2). but I do like him at the 3 as long as we have shooting/scoring on the floor. I feel like his vision/passing is PG level. a 3rd guy with that on the floor is a big advantage.

one other thing CM said ... Hunt is the kind of PG that can be a team's 2nd leading defensive rebounder. I think we're going to like him.

Reactions: spider23 and urfan1
I don't think Mooney is saying we'll play more up tempo. just that we're quicker and more athletic.
heck, being quicker and more athletic could lead to LONGER defensive possessions if teams can't get good looks. I'm all for that.

Fair points made by all above re: fast comments. and your point sman, yes maybe it could. Although when I hear fast, I first think shorter possessions, whether O or D. Playing fast on D usually means speeding other team up and/or creating more TOs. All of it helps, but I would associate length and scheme a little more with longer defensive possessions.

obviously with live ball TO's anyone should look to push. But overall I see us with our normal tempo offensively unless speed on D creates shorter ones. I don't see us becoming a big press team by any means but I think there is room to increase the rate we do it. IDK if it will happen but I wouldn't mind seeing more for sure. I agree King and Hunt will be out there a lot and will have a lot of ball handling responsibilities. But u could put Dji on top of press for sure. and maybe Trevor Smith or Tybe will earn a few mins. TBD hard to know.

If this speed is a big asset u need to use it.

it is kind of a funny statement ... that "Hunt is the kind of PG that can be a team's 2nd leading defensive rebounder".
in 73 games at Wagner he's averaged 32.1 mpg ... and 2.1 defensive rpg.
so yeah, I don't expect him to outrebound Big Neal.

Mooney wants Neal to look to score more.
ball stuck too much last year. scoring was too reliant on one player.
After a brief tumble down the A-10 standings, the Spiders should be a factor in the league title race in 2023-24.
picked us 7th (out of 15). Dayton #1.
Tough to be a factor in the league title race from seventh place. Unless he's suggesting we will beat some of the teams that are actually vying for the title.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT