ADVERTISEMENT

Wake In Game

solid win. we rebounded much better (not well, just not atrocious) in the 2 nd half and when we put out SDJ, MW TJC, TA and TD we can be very good offensively. The four shooters really space the floor and even TD becomes a better player because there isall that space to drive.. TD with really solid game: stuffed the stat sheet - - led us in boards, assists, steal and ad 17 points. Cline and Wood nice job on offense (but struggled on glass and interior D). SDJ pretty good except for dumb fouls and KF did a nice job when he was out.

like the fact that MW wanted the shot when the clock was running out and he can defend the perimeter some. He's a 3 and not a 4 for sure
Believe the Ulla noted this some time ago. Best line up is: Shawndre, Trey (Khwan), Marshall, TJ and Terry. The Spiders have talent. Paul, Jesse and Julius will also have their time in the sun. Roll Spide. OSC

Was beginning to look like another of the infamous Spider end of game meltdowns But it was actually good defense that preserved the win. But, we do need to cut down on the fouls. We used to be a team that committed few fouls. And we need Terry to play 35 minutes or more in game. This should boost the team confidence level a lot. But we still need improvements in several areas. But, the new players are having an impact, and the game will slow down for them, every chance they have of playing.

Nice line for Trey. Good to see the 5th year senior step up in a tough road game.

Great road win!!! Really glad to see the guys pour it on at the end. Trey and Marshall get the game balls tonight!!! losing the board offset by wining the steals by 10 and the TO's by 14. Not going to happen many nights but it worked tonight. Great job

There's a lot to like about Wood so far. I was afraid that he might be too stiff offensively after his layoff last year, but he plays smart with the ball, doesn't shoot prematurely and can score without having to penetrate. That's the value of his length, which was a big advantage tonight. He also gives defenses a few different things to think about and can I think could put up double digits even without a lot of protection in the lineup. Anxious to see him progress through the year. I think he could really go off before too long.

Great win, I thought for sure we were going to lose like we had so many times in the last few years blowing leads. Way to to finish and get the road monkey off the back first thing. I love to watch us shoot like we did, but man, its bipolar, our D is painful to watch when layups and put backs look so easy

Reactions: SpiderK
Fan1. I think that line is the epitome of mooney ball. good ball control on our end but pressure other team into turnovers. And little emphasis on rebounding

Agree with 97, I liked that CM played all the frshmen. The 10 man rotation will help us in the future. I thought all the freshmen held their own. PF runs the floor well and I think can contribute this year. Julius has a decent looking shot and his 3s will start falling.

We have a history of losing on the road. Getting a win in our first road game I think is also a big mental hurdle to get over

Reactions: SpiderK
Nice gritty win! So happy for Trey; he was playing loose and with a lot of confidence. MW needs to get more of the minutes that Deon is getting. Too much upside for him to not be getting extended minutes at a time. Also like what I see from PF. Not great or flashy but he is aggressive and I think he will blossom into a nice big man for us.

Very nice win. I know Wake has injuries and not a juggernaut, but as noted - a win on the road vs. an ACC team is good, and good for confidence. Nice to see Trey do so well and the balanced scoring. Good night overall. I was actually thinking that if I had to lose one of the two between this and JMU, it would be better to get this road win and build some confidence.

Nice gritty win! So happy for Trey; he was playing loose and with a lot of confidence. MW needs to get more of the minutes that Deon is getting. Too much upside for him to not be getting extended minutes at a time. Also like what I see from PF. Not great or flashy but he is aggressive and I think he will blossom into a nice big man for us.

PF seems to have good ball skills and basket awareness for a redshirt freshman of his size. When he caught the pass while running down the court and immediately laid it in his catch and laid it in without bringing the ball down or dribbling. This is a move that some of our big men in the past have messed up. I think he will be a good scorer for us, hopefully a taller TJ.

Reactions: SpiderRick
Does anyone think we can keep the 90 point average going? Fun to watch and love the shooting touch of Wood. Agree, he needs more time and Taylor filling in. Screw the D we don't play it well anyways lets just continue to bomb away. One thing I still don't like though is slowing down the offense at the end of games. There has to be a direct correlation with that and us losing our leads

Reactions: spiders13
Was that a basketball game or another Bryan Kersey demonstration of the new don't touch me officiating rules,I.e. UVA /GW game which he also officiated?

On another note, I really am confused with the team CM is playing. The offense is awesome, but defense and rebounding stinks, but, but, but did I witness several freshman, redshirt or otherwise get significant playing time. Are we witnessing a changing of the old guard (CM)? Awe shucks, I probably have wishful thinking?

I had visions of last year going through my head as I watched UR play stall ball once again and we ran the clock down to far and ended up with a traveling call. Then great team D took over and put an end to the matter. Good win, let's keep it going.

Does anyone think we can keep the 90 point average going? Fun to watch and love the shooting touch of Wood. Agree, he needs more time and Taylor filling in. Screw the D we don't play it well anyways lets just continue to bomb away. One thing I still don't like though is slowing down the offense at the end of games. There has to be a direct correlation with that and us losing our leads
Lol since we are giving up 85 a game we better keep scoring 90!! :)

Win tonight portends great things to come. Congrats Spiders. And let's hope that Marshall Wood gets more playing time. Smooth on offense.

Rebounded much better in second half, practically even. We did not force up many shots and hit
the open ones. What I liked was we played to win, aggressive on both ends, and we did not get
rattled. One disappointment is DT plays frustrated and let his man go a couple times in first half, got
quick fouls and threw up almost air ball on a 3. I am sorry he needs to start looking like a Senior
or he will be bypassed.

Guys I was wrong. Wood is better than advertised. His defense needs work, but you could say the same thing about every player on our team right now. He is a great offensive player so far.
I am in this boat with you. I am still not sold on his overall game, but Wood has shown that he can stroke it and score.

Marshall played more minutes than Deion. I like the fact that we have ten players battling for playing time. One player we did not see was KoVien, who has had his redshirt burned last game. The message is clear. KoVien must develop his game if he is to play for UR. I hope he does, we will need frontcourt players next year, and he does sound like a great story. In the meantime, I'm going to savor an ACC road win. Wake fans will whine about missing two starters. But our best player missed a lot of minutes due to some questionable officiating, which gave Wake an incredible edge in free throw opportunities. Fortunately, they were miserable from the free throw line. But were all of those calls against Spiders, legit? If so, we need to work on that, it could cost us games.

Start Marshall Wood, bench Dieon Taylor. We gain more with Woods offense than we lose win Taylor's defense. Sorry for Dieon, but no one can say that Mooney hasn't given him plenty of opportunities, and probably way too many minutes over the past three years. We are blessed with good offensive players this year, and we can win with offense. So go with the hand you're dealt, coach.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Deion is not taking bad shots this year. He is pretty much only going for the high percentage shots near the rim (he is 4-4 from 2 and 1-2 from 3 so far). This is really good news, and since we now have a lot of scoring options he hopefully won't throw up bad shots anymore and should continue to only take the easy shots leaving the harder baskets to the better shooters.

The floor spacing we get by having a lot shooters on the perimeter along with the new freedom of movement rules really opens things up for Trey as well. He has always been efficient near the basket, now it is a lot easier for him to get there and he is less likely to pick up a charge call. If he can give us an efficient 7-10 points a game while playing solid defense it would be huge.

Fore continues to impress me with his hustle and ability to drive to the basket. He doesn't appear to have a great long distance shot, but he has a knack for getting to the hoop and is 8-15 (53%) from 2pt range so far, which is good. He is also putting up great assist numbers. I am looking forward to see how much he improves over the course of the season and his college career.

We also showed that we don't need to depend on any one player to win. TA was out for extended periods of time in foul trouble and we performed well. SDJ was out for extended periods of time due to foul trouble and we still performed well in his absence. It is a really good sign to have a team that can function well with so many different players (at least on offense).

Defense is still a really big problem, and we are going to really struggle beating good teams if we don't get it fixed. I have to think it will get better, how can it change so drastically when the only players we lost were K0 and ANO?

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
Trey had a monster night, really stuffing the stat sheet. I hope he has a great, senior season, and finally, we will have a good case for redshirting a player.

The game I watched on my ipad, had us leading the the last 22 minutes of the game, shoot 52% from field, 48% from 3, 72 from FT and had 5 guys in double figures, and had our best player in foul trouble all night. We only lost the battle of the offensive boards by 5 (total rebounds don't matter as much since we took almost 20% more shots then they did) and second chance points were 14-8. Why all the complaining?

The game I watched on my ipad, had us leading the the last 22 minutes of the game, shoot 52% from field, 48% from 3, 72 from FT and had 5 guys in double figures, and had our best player in foul trouble all night. We only lost the battle of the offensive boards by 5 (total rebounds don't matter as much since we took almost 20% more shots then they did) and second chance points were 14-8. Why all the complaining?

We have let opponents shoot an average of 47% from the 3 this year. The past two seasons that number was 30%, we are usually one of the best teams in the country in that regard. Our defense has been really bad, the worst by far under Mooney. We are just leaving guys open and can't seem to stop people when they get near the basket. I just can't emphasize enough how bad we have been on defense compared to traditional Mooney teams. There is a lot to work on. However, if we fix some of these problems we will be a very, very, very good team and that makes me very excited. The fact that we just pulled out a road win against an ACC team while playing such bad defense is a testament to the strength of our offense right now. We haven't seen much improvement on defense over the first three games though, which does make me a little bit worried.

i agree the defense has been lousy but my point was we went on the road and lead the entire second half. But maybe 90 point games are the new normal.

The object of the game is to outscore other team..We're doing it with the "o" instead of the "d". If we were winning 51-49 games, there would still be complaining.

There seems to be a trade off here, stellar offense in favor of solid defense. It's not a run and gun Paul Westhead offense but it's super efficient.

I have a feeling if we don't stop other teams from scoring, a pressure D like JMU implemented will hold our point total down and we'll be on the losing end more than not.

I think all teams are still searching for their new norm, not just due to the new season, but also the new rules. BTW went back and looked at the averages for shooting of both teams in our first 3 games the only glaring difference was our 3 pt shooting vs Pukes, we shot only 29.4% cf to 47.8% & 48.4%. We've been giving up an average of 46%, so that may be the new norm

Big props to TJ for getting his conditioning right to play 36 minutes (career high?) against a physical team, stay out of foul trouble, and lead us in rebounds and points.

Hopefully have turned the corner on our road record as we put together some solid road wins between 2nd half of league schedule last year and last night. Let's keep it up.

Start Marshall Wood, bench Dieon Taylor. We gain more with Woods offense than we lose win Taylor's defense. Sorry for Dieon, but no one can say that Mooney hasn't given him plenty of opportunities, and probably way too many minutes over the past three years. We are blessed with good offensive players this year, and we can win with offense. So go with the hand you're dealt, coach.

Rick, I can relate to the comments you just made. But, as a former coach, offense win games while defense wins championships. I look forward to a blending of both of their talents as we more forward this year.

I drove up to the JMU-RICH game last Friday and saw the Wake game last night on tv. I was disappointed in the loss to JMU but after sleeping on our win a Wake, I feel much better about our team going forward. The gained a lot of confidence last night: 1. winner on the road first time out, 2. pulling the game out in the last few minutes after allowing then to come back within 2 and winner by 9 and 3. our defense improved the last five minutes of the game (held Wake scoreless after score was 84-82).

Just like the JMU game where I tempered myself to not get too low. I caution the same with this game. Lets not get too high.

1) Wake is a bad ACC team. If anyone has watched any other ACC teams play so far - like UNC, Duke, or UVA - Wake looks like a freshman team (not even a JV team) compared to those teams. Yes - those are probably the three best teams in the ACC, but I don't see how Wake finishes out of the bottom 4 of the ACC this year.
2) We shot 51% from the field, and 48% from 3 with 11 threes. I like that we shot better - but if we are going to rely on that type of shooting all year and hope we can score 85+ a night - I don't like our chances. Its great we shot well, but we can't rely on that - but we can rely on our ----
3) DEFENSE - we let Wake shoot 57% and 46% from deep. BUT TRAP - we did force 20 turnovers. That is where we won the game (and rebounding - next point) but I wonder how many of those turnovers were really forced. In my mind - about 5 of them were travelling calls from Dinos, and others were just bad turnovers from a bad guard in Crawford. Point being - our defense still needs a lot of improvement.
4) Rebounding - we did a good job limiting their offensive rebounds.. Only 12. That is very good for us. Maybe some of it had to do with them shooting 57% and not having a lot of chances, but nonetheless - 12 or less offensive rebounds should be the goal for this team.
5) Back Door cuts - for the first time in a long time under Mooney, we finally got a good amount of back door cuts. Some of this is just Wake's bad defense, but some of it is also our ability to hit 3's and stretch the defense. Make 3's early, and it makes them guard you outside and opens up lanes for easy cuts or drives.

Good win, not great. I don't see this game showing up on our NCAA resume because Wake will probably end up in the basement of the ACC with a RPI of around 150. A game if we lose - maybe it shows up as a bad loss, but we took care of business and can now get ready for Cookman and then Vegas.

Wake certainly is an incomplete team, but hopefully they can improve with Miller-McIntyre coming back and win some games for us in December and January. Our older guys need to do a better job of figuring out officials early on. I thought that Coach Mooney certainly when he brought in Paul in the first half, but guys like Deion and ShawnDre were reaching needlessly far away from the basket. Neither of them are typically guys in foul trouble and they didn't detect that last night was going to be different soon enough.

For all of the talk about the defense, it made the winning plays in winning time, something Richmond failed to do last year. Three blocks, two steals and no points scored in the final three minutes? That's gold, Jerry! Hopefully Richmond just keeps growing at every step. When you can have a learning experience and also pick up an ACC road win, you have cause to celebrate. I see the Texas Tech and maybe Florida games hopefully shaping up like this one. Incomplete power conference teams that will play great league schedules and sound nice to the common fan, even if they don't have NCAA Tourney pieces this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT