ADVERTISEMENT

Early First Thoughts - Game 2

brooklyn brownstone

Graduate Assistant
Oct 31, 2007
A lot to like again. Smack down an inferior opponent and run away early in the 2nd half, then clear the bench to get young guys game reps and time on the court.

King had 5 early points. Maybe rushed a shot but overall knew other guys were cooking and didn't force his own shot just to try and get numbers.
Hunt - all over the court again on defense and fearless on offense. He seems good at drawing contact on drives, a quality skill.
Bigelow - good Bigs showed up and he utilized his ability to get to the rim and to the FT line. He should try to live there.
Quinn - under control again. Had some nice moves but also some issues against a more athletic defender at times. With his footwork, he just doesn't explode vertically at all. But gave the team what it needed. Keep doing that. Will need him to overperform at some point, but he may just be the steady 6-10 points guy and not a 14+ points guy.
Noyes - quiet game but other guys were playing well so it wasn't like he was playing badly, just didn't make much of an impact.
Bailey - really great game, his best that I've seen. Love his confidence so far this year. Hit 2 threes which is huge if that is now part of his game. Elbow seems to be aiming very wide on his FTs.
Roche - thought he also had an excellent game. In constant motion and to me looked quicker than last year. It could just be VMI and Siena were slow, but he did what we need. He's a real weapon playing with these guards.
Tyne - I already love Tyne. Plays like a junior with the ball in his hands. I have about 95% confidence when he has it that it's not going to get stolen or a bad pass isn't coming, which is like 45% more than anyone last year. Bright future for him IMO, haven't seen him drill the 3s so much just yet, but otherwise, a great start for him.
Walz - tonight was the most offense I've seen from him, which is good! But he still turns it over, and got outhustled to the ball a couple times, which is bad! Needs more reps and to have one solid no mistakes type game. Hitting the 3 was both unexpected and nice. Gonna be like that a lot I think. Seems to be too in his own head at times.
Harris - glad he's getting run here these games bc we may need him at some point. Looks like he could get some buckets inside.
Smith - also glad he's getting on the court. His handle looks good. He's skinny.
Tanner - Nice little mid-range hoop tonight, touch looked very soft. He looks more like the height in the picture where he's shorter than Moon, than the 6'6" from his recruiting profile.
Graham - has some zip on his passes. Couldn't tell much else.
Southall / Weaver - in the games, getting stats! That's a win.

My quick hitter thoughts:
Passing was terrific, one of the best passing games I've seen in many years from the Spiders. Ball movement was nonstop and it set up the offense perfectly. I'm a critic of Moonball sometimes (mostly against aggressive athletic defenses), but when it works, it does look nice.
10-18 from 3. A lot of it set up by the passing and cutting.
At one point the lineup was two guards, Roche and Dji, along with Quinn. My head exploded, but it worked well. Moving Dji to forward has unlocked him.
Speed kills. King, Hunt and Tyne are ball hawks. Opposing guards who are slow or whose handles are mediocre will have it tough this year.
There was some full court pressing! My already-exploded head dissolved.
Switching and resulting traps were pretty effective, especially when it was guys like Dji and Bigs on the trap, guys with height and long arms.
I like Dji off the bench for that energy burst and knowing he's coming in with confidence and being expected to look for his offense. If he started, this probably wouldn't be the case as much as we try to get Quinn and King going early in games. I expect we'll see him finishing more games, which is the key thing.
Crowd looked lifeless on tv, and looked like maybe 5k ppl. Lots of visible empty seats on the broadcast in most shots.
I heard the Wawa 3 stupidity tonight. I like Wawa fine but maybe they can send that one back to the drawing board.

Altogether a great game. Never in doubt.

Last edited:
Awesome write-up - size of crowd was a touchy loudy other than good student section but intensity of crowd was pretty good

Crowd looked lifeless on tv, and looked like maybe 5k ppl. Lots of visible empty seats on the broadcast in most shots.
Announced attendance was 4,543, so you know it wasn't even that many. Agree they were almost nonexistent from the TV perspective.

Agree with most of your writeup Brooklyn. Loved the defense especially tonight. It was that type where you just never let them feel comfortable for even a moment.

No way there were 5000 people there (not sure about tickets sold but 5000/7200= almost 70% full and I'm saying no chance. But the crowd was pretty into it and the student section seemed to be fairly full too.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
A lot to like again. Smack down an inferior opponent and run away early in the 2nd half, then clear the bench to get young guys game reps and time on the court.

King had 5 early points. Maybe rushed a shot but overall knew other guys were cooking and didn't force his own shot just to try and get numbers.
Hunt - all over the court again on defense and fearless on offense. He seems good at drawing contact on drives, a quality skill.
Bigelow - good Bigs showed up and he utilized his ability to get to the rim and to the FT line. He should try to live there.
Quinn - under control again. Had some nice moves but also some issues against a more athletic defender at times. With his footwork, he just doesn't explode vertically at all. But gave the team what it needed. Keep doing that. Will need him to overperform at some point, but he may just be the steady 6-10 points guy and not a 14+ points guy.
Noyes - quiet game but other guys were playing well so it wasn't like he was playing badly, just didn't make much of an impact.
Bailey - really great game, his best that I've seen. Love his confidence so far this year. Hit 2 threes which is huge if that is now part of his game. Elbow seems to be aiming very wide on his FTs.
Roche - thought he also had an excellent game. In constant motion and to me looked quicker than last year. It could just be VMI and Siena were slow, but he did what we need. He's a real weapon playing with these guards.
Tyne - I already love Tyne. Plays like a junior with the ball in his hands. I have about 95% confidence when he has it that it's not going to get stolen or a bad pass isn't coming, which is like 45% more than anyone last year. Bright future for him IMO, haven't seen him drill the 3s so much just yet, but otherwise, a great start for him.
Walz - tonight was the most offense I've seen from him, which is good! But he still turns it over, and got outhustled to the ball a couple times, which is bad! Needs more reps and to have one solid no mistakes type game. Hitting the 3 was both unexpected and nice. Gonna be like that a lot I think. Seems to be too in his own head at times.
Harris - glad he's getting run here these games bc we may need him at some point. Looks like he could get some buckets inside.
Smith - also glad he's getting on the court. His handle looks good. He's skinny.
Tanner - Nice little mid-range hoop tonight, touch looked very soft. He looks more like the height in the picture where he's shorter than Moon, than the 6'6" from his recruiting profile.

Passing was terrific, one of the best passing games I've seen in many years from the Spiders. Ball movement was nonstop and it set up the offense perfectly. I'm a critic of Moonball sometimes (mostly against aggressive athletic defenses), but when it works, it does look nice.
At one point the lineup was two guards, Roche and Dji, along with Quinn. My head exploded, but it worked well. Moving Dji to forward has unlocked him.
Speed kills. King, Hunt and Tyne are ball hawks. Opposing guards who are slow or whose handles are mediocre will have it tough this year.
Switching and resulting traps were pretty effective, especially when it was guys like Dji and Bigs on the trap, guys with height and long arms.
I like Dji off the bench for that energy burst and knowing he's coming in with confidence and being expected to look for his offense. If he started, this probably wouldn't be the case as much as we try to get Quinn and King going early in games. I expect we'll see him finishing more games, which is the key thing.
I heard the Wawa 3 stupidity tonight. I like Wawa fine but maybe they can send that one back to the drawing board.

Good write-up with one exception. Do you want to replace the WaWa 3. with your payment? Even Richmond’s lacckadaisical marketing isn’t having Bob Black say WaWa for fun. It’s dollars in the pocket and will probably be there all year.

Reactions: urfan1
OK, I'll play along.

I'll go to Wawa if they stop it.

I won't go if they keep having him say that.

How is the brand marketing working? UR doesn't need the ten bucks they're getting from this, and it is demeaning to media professionals and annoying to fans.

Wawa is kinda on brand for Philly Bob

Attendance bad. I did not see the Sat night or football push coming unfortunately. That’s bc we always have a big dropoff after opener & our opener was well below traditional opener attendance. I don’t even think Mooney could praise the crowd in the postgame. Hopefully it improves.

It is refreshing to see guys stay in attack mode instead of robot run the offense mode. I heard Mooney mention that he has been on guys to stay aggressive, which is great. Not sure why it took so long to get this idea.
Tyne looks like he will be a contributor all year and be able to slide right into a starting role next season. This is the Dji we saw in those hs/aau clips. Love him in the 6th man role. Came in and instant impact. I think Bob Black mentioned on air last game that he talked to sdad and talked about a new nutrition routine. Does look a little stronger too me.

BC is no great shakes this year but should be a big jump in competition. I like our chances.

What am I missing about Tyne? Looks quick with decent ball handling but he missed nearly all of his shots last night. Smith seemed uninterested out there — likely surprised about his role.

Yes, I see that Tyne was only 1-5, but I think his shots will fall. Also had 4 steals and 3 assists in 20 minutes, as a true freshman that was slated to play another year of high school/prep ball. I just think he is so quick and already seems to have adapted to seeing and thinking the game at D1 level.

Walz - he put up 7pts 5 Reb 4 assist in 18 minutes. Hopefully he just keeps being able to get minutes as the comp level rises, I think he will in order to rest Quinn anyway. But as noted on here, has had some lapses and mistakes, but overall he is really looking good, and making some nice plays. Looked good on that 3 ball too.

I was there. The crowd was small but surprisingly loud at times. I assumed the late start time probably meant some families didn't come who might have normally come for a 630 or 7 start.
Good point and yes many fewer kids than normal. Was surprised that Monday's crowd was quite a bit larger ..

I was there. The crowd was small but surprisingly loud at times. I assumed the late start time probably meant some families didn't come who might have normally come for a 630 or 7 start.

Good, that’s much better than the alternative. Tho a crowd of 45 or 450 could be the exact same way. Not liking the empty seats trend early. “Small…but LOYAL” feels like box we’ll never get out of.

Looking forward to BC game because I do think the first two opponents have been exactly what the rankings said they would be. The great news is that the Spiders look much sharper and quicker than last year and there seems to be much more team chemistry. It is great that the bench players are getting time, which did not happen at all last year because the Spiders could not put the inferior teams away.

It was also nice to see that the end of the bench seemed to improve from game one to game two, losing the total chaos that resulted in game one. Not much offense, but at least they didn’t immediately turn it over every possession and played some D.

From the starter and expected subs perspective, it was also good news with the same solid play more or less across the board with improvements from Walz and a breakout offensive game from Dji. The only player that hasn’t clicked is Noyes. Not sure what he is being asked to do, but he is the one player that hasn’t looked quite in sync with the rest. I agree with others that Tyne is a great facilitator and is definitely way ahead on the UR freshman curve.

In terms of the crowd, it was definitely smaller than I expected. However, as others mentioned the game was later and there was an important home football game, so some folks may have skipped a doubleheader. Plus there is the fact that the basketball team is still an unknown commodity with no known “star”. If they can keep winning that will change.

Love what I’ve seen so far. Our quickness, especially at guard, has opened the game up offensively for everyone. The quickness also seems to be allowing us to double and trap more effectively without leaving an area of the court wide open.

One worry for me is our size at guard. I’m worried that once we play teams with bigger athletic guards, size will become an issue (more so for Hunt, who isn’t the shooter that King is). I’m nitpicking here, but still something in watching for in the upcoming games against better competition.

Reactions: Eight Legger
What am I missing about Tyne? Looks quick with decent ball handling but he missed nearly all of his shots last night. Smith seemed uninterested out there — likely surprised about his role.
I would say he’s super quick, understands the offense better than some, and is very good passer, but for the most part he’s making the “right” basketball plays. There were several times last night our other guards forced some things…for good or bad but they did make most of those forces. I think Kel would be the starter if we didn’t have Jordan. He's going to make mistakes but like I said before we got a “steal”

That Tyne play toward the end of the game where he completely juked a defender near the top of the key and then fed it down low for a layup or dunk was a real 'Wow' moment in person. Everyone in the crowd sort of gasped at the same time. He's fun to watch. Great vision.

I was at the game-standing and cheering-but from Row T. Why not have the first three or four rows on one side reserved for the students?

Good point and yes many fewer kids than normal. Was surprised that Monday's crowd was quite a bit larger ..
think many of the regulars were spent from the important football game earlier. I thought the crowd did a good job at times.

OK, I'll play along.

How is the brand marketing working? UR doesn't need the ten bucks they're getting from this, and it is demeaning to media professionals and annoying to fans.
I definitely didn’t miss the Wawa tagline at the game last night. Looks like the marketing department went all in with Wawa and that is all they got, so might as well get used to it.

Note: I would be on board with this partnership if the school worked with Wawa to provide free giveaways to students in an attempt to engage more of them and keep them invested. Basically make it something that positively affects the program. Not just saying the brand name ad nauseam. I don’t see how its present state it does anything but annoy fans.

Get creative, make it fun, engage the students.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
It is refreshing to see guys stay in attack mode instead of robot run the offense mode. I heard Mooney mention that he has been on guys to stay aggressive, which is great. Not sure why it took so long to get this idea.
Tyne looks like he will be a contributor all year and be able to slide right into a starting role next season. This is the Dji we saw in those hs/aau clips. Love him in the 6th man role. Came in and instant impact. I think Bob Black mentioned on air last game that he talked to sdad and talked about a new nutrition routine. Does look a little stronger too me.

BC is no great shakes this year but should be a big jump in competition. I like our chances.
I've heard Mooney a ton on the radio pre game over the years and this is the first time that I can really recall him mentioning to start out aggressive and be up tempo. Its also noticeable on the court, not nearly as much 3 man weaves at the top of the key.

Others have touched on King, but I also really like DLH's game. Can usually compare new players pretty easily to players of the past under Mooney, but I am having a hard time thinking of one to compare. A player like him on a few of the teams we had in the past I feel he could of put us over the hump.

The fact that people are complaining about Wawa and attendance are strong signs we are off to a good start.

The team is obviously playing much better than any of us expected. I agree with the many comments about how strong our 9 man rotation has been, but I think our depth goes much further. I thought Tyler Harris and Collin Tanner both looked good in limited minutes and Ryan Soulis looked good in the 1st game. Soulis and Tanner help give me confidence in our program long term. Hopefully at some point Trevor Smith will show some of the skills that made him one of the state's top high school players.

We are about to enter a difficult 3 game stretch where most of the people on this board that predicted our record on another post said we would lose all three games. I would be very disappointed if we don't win at least one.

The fact that people are complaining about Wawa and attendance are strong signs we are off to a good start.

The team is obviously playing much better than any of us expected. I agree with the many comments about how strong our 9 man rotation has been, but I think our depth goes much further. I thought Tyler Harris and Collin Tanner both looked good in limited minutes and Ryan Soulis looked good in the 1st game. Soulis and Tanner help give me confidence in our program long term. Hopefully at some point Trevor Smith will show some of the skills that made him one of the state's top high school players.

We are about to enter a difficult 3 game stretch where most of the people on this board that predicted our record on another post said we would lose all three games. I would be very disappointed if we don't win at least one.
I agree, the team has so far exceeded our expectations by player rotation, cohesiveness and yes developing team chemistry. We will see what BC brings, I believe after we win this game that the sky is the limit.

OK, I'll play along.

I’m not sure how it is any different than the Food Lion sack promotion on the football broadcast. It’s not at all unusual
especially on college game broadcasts

Mooney has stated in the past he sometimes wishes he put more of the guys in when easily winning and having better rotation than just 5 -6 , it's nice to see he's actually changing and listening to his own critique, let's hope he doesn't lock down the bench

I definitely didn’t miss the Wawa tagline at the game last night. Looks like the marketing department went all in with Wawa and that is all they got, so might as well get used to it.
there is no marketing department-all the sponsorships are handled by PlayFly. But given you're complaining about a large regional plus brand putting in money into our "moribound" (not my descrption) mens basketball program, I'm assuming there is something you will always complain about.

Note: I would be on board with this partnership if the school worked with Wawa to provide free giveaways to students in an attempt to engage more of them and keep them invested. Basically make it something that positively affects the program. Not just saying the brand name ad nauseam. I don’t see how its present state it does anything but annoy fans.

Get creative, make it fun, engage the students.
it only annoys the losers who like to complain. In case you haven't noticed, the profile of the richmond student isn't one who longs for basketball or any other sport.

there is no marketing department-all the sponsorships are handled by PlayFly. But given you're complaining about a large regional plus brand putting in money into our "moribound" (not my descrption) mens basketball program, I'm assuming there is something you will always complain about.
I’m not an expert in UR’s decision making and apparently you aren’t the best at reading comprehension. I didn’t write anything criticizing the men’s basketball program nor whatever funding it may be receiving from Wawa in my quoted post. What I did point out is that this year there is a very narrow focus on “marketing” and I was criticizing that approach. So happy to hear that my complaint is not with any UR staff, but instead an outsourced partner.

I did look for the press release and see that the agreement started in September 2021, so I guess PlayFly took its time creating this lucrative campaign. I also see it is a 10 year deal….awesome.

Count me in the group who thinks this is no big deal. Ads are everywhere and have been for years, and this is not super intrusive or noticeable even.

Also agree with Longtime that it's a net positive to partner with a popular brand with tons of locations in our area, plus I don't mind stocking up on these free coffee and breakfast sandwich coupons they've been handing out.

I don't mind it, but in the arena last night I was confused about whether there was supposed to be some Wawa giveaway or not. Seems like that is a natural extension when someone sponsors three-pointers (a t-shirt toss, or something of the sort).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT