ADVERTISEMENT

Team identity

brooklyn brownstone

Graduate Assistant
Oct 31, 2007
Mentioned this in SBU game thread but this was first time I felt like I could see this team’s potential identity - one which could carry forwad to a possible top 4 spot. Previously, it seemed like Moon was still mixing and matching lineups hoping for both sides of the ball to click but I really liked the high-intensity defensive mindset, mixed with timely scoring, even if it sacrifices time for better shooters, namely Noyes and Roche. I think this team is - and should - forge an identity hanging their hat on defense and basically saying if we score 70, we will win bc the goal is always to hold other team to 65 and below.

I think this can be the team’s identity - just getting after it on defense on the perimeter and being a very switchable team, other than Quinn. Schmidt mentioned in postgame comments that SBU had trouble as out small guards got into them and they had difficulty getting past them and then didn’t make good decisions when they did (partly bc our guys gave great help.) It seemed like our guys were everywhere in passing lanes. And I think when more depth returns to health we can utilize a full court press some as well and not worry about guard fouls at all.

I was not high on what Harris could give us this year but I was mistaken - he is a key cog in this rotation and identity, and Dji and Bigelow just need to keep doing what they are doing. They’ve been outstanding. Quinn just needs to get his arms up and contest without fouling when guarding straight up and just use his height to challenge attempts on switches. He’s not a monster shot blocker so shouldn’t try for that every time.

One thing - if this is a developing identity, UR must be better at the FT line. There will always be close games in defensive struggles, and missed FTs can have a huge impact on momentum and results - those are free points UR will need. And UR has not been very good at the line this year.

Your talking my game here. I have always been a put your best defensive unit on the court, especially at the start of the game. If we can get dlo back healthy I think that really helps. I do realize we need to be able to score it too but I think keeping the other team from scoring, or making it a grueling chore to score is demoralizing. Bonnie's were stuck on 21 forever. Let's carry this effort on the road.

Two games in a row now. I really do feel like this is the team's identity.

I thought this was the best defensive game I can remember in a loooong time by UR. We were everywhere on the wings, switched everything, with the exception it seems of Tyne because he is really terrific at getting through screens and staying in front of his man.

And now with DLo back and Harris firmly in the rotation, they really can get after it on defense.

Just have to find more scoring. (EDIT: and as I mentioned above post SBU game - make FTs! Almost cost this game.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Eight Legger
There is definitely a rallying cry about defense from Mooney and the team itself (Quinn postgame comments), so it’s more than just you @brooklyn brownstone.

I thought the D did not look quite as good vs LUC partly because everything looked different when Tyne was not on the floor. Tyne is small, but he is always glued to his man; whereas Hunt was not and had to try to catch-up leading to fouls in some cases. Obviously, this was Hunt’s first game back so I’m sure he will be better when he gets back into game shape. Just something that I noticed.

I also realize that Hunt did add another dimension on the offensive end and he did contribute there. So not saying Hunt shouldn’t have played, just saying I could see a difference.

Agree, it's been a long time since defense was a strength of its but it is this year. Refreshing.

On another note, why doesn't Mooney sub in Roche on offense at the end of a close game when we're winning? He's a great FT shooter. He left Dji in there last night in that situation, which was just begging for a foul since he's shooting 45% this season.

Yes interestingly, if I am reading Kenpom correctly (and I may not be :)), we are number 1 in the A10 in Defensive Efficiency, and next to last in Offensive Efficiency. Watching SDSU over the years, I do feel like playing high intensity D can definitely take a little toll on your offense.

However, I am a defense first guy, and loved the intensity the last five minutes especially. But also agree with Bstone, we need to get a little better on O. But really like what I am seeing from Dji, Bigs, Tyne, and Harris. Last night, I did think Walz was better able to bother their big men. Just seemed like an off game from Quinn, so looking for him to bounce back next game. King also I think did a good job, and has been good at coming back for defensive rebounds when the bigs are locked up boxing out.

Yes interestingly, if I am reading Kenpom correctly (and I may not be :)), we are number 1 in the A10 in Defensive Efficiency, and next to last in Offensive Efficiency. Watching SDSU over the years, I do feel like playing high intensity D can definitely take a little toll on your offense.

However, I am a defense first guy, and loved the intensity the last five minutes especially. But also agree with Bstone, we need to get a little better on O. But really like what I am seeing from Dji, Bigs, Tyne, and Harris. Last night, I did think Walz was better able to bother their big men. Just seemed like an off game from Quinn, so looking for him to bounce back next game. King also I think did a good job, and has been good at coming back for defensive rebounds when the bigs are locked up boxing out.
My friend decided that Walz is a Klingon last night - he continues to play through major groin pain it would appear and fights on.

Those are the conference-only stats, so it covers only 2 games for us. But they're directionally consistent with the full-season rankings. Looks like we're tops in adjusted defensive efficiency and 12th in adjusted offensive efficiency.

The past two games have been magnified versions of the overall season.

The 3 pointer saved us last night. It wasn't pretty most of the night offensively, but the 3 ball can help overcome some bad offensive stretches. We will win a lot of games if we make 10 of them, and 10-22 is a great percentage. All 9 guys attempted at least one, and I think that's a good thing.

I liked seeing Dji shoot and make the early one. If they leave him open, he has to take those and make enough for them to respect it. Last night, he was 2-3 from 3, which was huge for us. He also continues to make the hustle plays, and is playing some real solid all around basketball this year. He and Bigs drew a couple charges last night, which is always key. We can't expect King to go 5-6 from deep too many more times, but he is our best shooter, and a huge weapon. We need multiple 3s each game from him. Bigs going 2-4 was key as well. He didn't force any, and, like Dji, shot enough and made enough to make them worry about it, which helped Quinn beat his man one on one a few times in the 2nd half. Harris made the other one, and I continue to be impressed by his all around game.

It was great seeing Hunt back and he immediately showed what he brings, with his energy, handle, quickness, and nice drives to the basket.

Quinn missed some easy ones, but hung in there, and made enough to make a difference. I would like to see him try to dunk a few more of them. This would most likely lead to either a foul or the dunk. He likes the floater, but if he is one on one from just inside the foul line, take a dribble toward the basket and go for the slam.

The defense was great again last night. The guys have definitely bought in on that side. We have a really good mix of guys, and I like the 9 man rotation a lot.

I had thought we needed 7+ three pointers to win - did not expect UR to shoot so poorly from 2 or the FT line, so those last 3 threes (2 huge by King and 1 huge by Dji) were the difference. Missing front ends of 1-1 FTs is maddening, it's not reflected in the stats but is essentially 2 misses in terms of potential points sacrificed. To me our 4-8 FTs is effectively 4-10. That has to be better or will lose us games. Variance and calls went UR's way late last night, but can prevent variance from entering the equation by making FTs and icing games.

Agree about the front end of 1 and 1s. I count that as 2 as well because you have a chance for 2 free points and get 0. I meant to put my above post under the Loyola thread, but I would like to see 3s be part of our identity, so I guess it has a little relevance here. PG play, 3s, and defense. I don't care what order....just do them well.

Reactions: urfan1
The 3 pointer saved us last night. It wasn't pretty most of the night offensively, but the 3 ball can help overcome some bad offensive stretches. We will win a lot of games if we make 10 of them, and 10-22 is a great percentage. All 9 guys attempted at least one, and I think that's a good thing.

I liked seeing Dji shoot and make the early one. If they leave him open, he has to take those and make enough for them to respect it. Last night, he was 2-3 from 3, which was huge for us. He also continues to make the hustle plays, and is playing some real solid all around basketball this year. He and Bigs drew a couple charges last night, which is always key. We can't expect King to go 5-6 from deep too many more times, but he is our best shooter, and a huge weapon. We need multiple 3s each game from him. Bigs going 2-4 was key as well. He didn't force any, and, like Dji, shot enough and made enough to make them worry about it, which helped Quinn beat his man one on one a few times in the 2nd half. Harris made the other one, and I continue to be impressed by his all around game.

It was great seeing Hunt back and he immediately showed what he brings, with his energy, handle, quickness, and nice drives to the basket.

Quinn missed some easy ones, but hung in there, and made enough to make a difference. I would like to see him try to dunk a few more of them. This would most likely lead to either a foul or the dunk. He likes the floater, but if he is one on one from just inside the foul line, take a dribble toward the basket and go for the slam.

The defense was great again last night. The guys have definitely bought in on that side. We have a really good mix of guys, and I like the 9 man rotation a lot.
Good stuff. Agreed.

Agree, it's been a long time since defense was a strength of its but it is this year. Refreshing.

On another note, why doesn't Mooney sub in Roche on offense at the end of a close game when we're winning? He's a great FT shooter. He left Dji in there last night in that situation, which was just begging for a foul since he's shooting 45% this season.
Good point but Roche is not a strong ball handler vs Dji though a better foul shooter.

There is definitely a rallying cry about defense from Mooney and the team itself (Quinn postgame comments), so it’s more than just you @brooklyn brownstone.

I thought the D did not look quite as good vs LUC partly because everything looked different when Tyne was not on the floor. Tyne is small, but he is always glued to his man; whereas Hunt was not and had to try to catch-up leading to fouls in some cases. Obviously, this was Hunt’s first game back so I’m sure he will be better when he gets back into game shape. Just something that I noticed.

I also realize that Hunt did add another dimension on the offensive end and he did contribute there. So not saying Hunt shouldn’t have played, just saying I could see a difference.
Agree on Tyne, he’s a fundamentally really good defender. I’ve been telling my 12 year old to watch him play defense in games to watch the effort and positioning he shows. It’s really remarkable for a freshman to have such great instincts.

Agree on Tyne, he’s a fundamentally really good defender. I’ve been telling my 12 year old to watch him play defense in games to watch the effort and positioning he shows. It’s really remarkable for a freshman to have such great instincts.
he really fights over screens and beats his man there, not trailing. that's huge as the man defending the screener doesn't have to help/hedge.

this whole team works hard defensively.

Agree about the front end of 1 and 1s. I count that as 2 as well because you have a chance for 2 free points and get 0. I meant to put my above post under the Loyola thread, but I would like to see 3s be part of our identity, so I guess it has a little relevance here. PG play, 3s, and defense. I don't care what order....just do them well.
Definitely agree. I've always counted as 2 misses in my book.

I've also been thinking for several games now that we should get Dji out at the end of close games due to FTs. He is tough and playing very well though. Please stay healthy.

IMO Dji deserves to be on the court at the end. And for his struggles at the line, IIRC he's made them late when it mattered like 5-6 in final minutes during this win streak. It's at the line the rest of the game(s) that he's really struggled.

Neal is also trending downward on FTs after a better start to the year, now down to 62.5% on the season, which would be a career low. I don't really like his form either. He has not made them in crunchtime and I don't really trust him at the line late.

Reactions: plydogg and urfan1
Definitely want Dji in there on the defensive side late in games, and I know he's one of our better ballhandlers, so from that perspective I understand why he's in late. But I think I'd be tempted to do the offense/defense swap thing with him in the last minute or two of a close game until he gets the FT% up a bit. Or at least while we are still in the 1-and-1 situation like we were the other night.

Reactions: mr.spider
Definitely want Dji in there on the defensive side late in games, and I know he's one of our better ballhandlers, so from that perspective I understand why he's in late. But I think I'd be tempted to do the offense/defense swap thing with him in the last minute or two of a close game until he gets the FT% up a bit. Or at least while we are still in the 1-and-1 situation like we were the other night.
The 5 for offense should be:

King 86%(37-43)
Tyne 81.8 (9-11)
Bigs 78.8 (26-33)
Roche 77.8 (7-9)
Harris 100 (5-5).

Hunt is 66.7 (8-12) and would be next in line, or can be in there if we want a 3rd ball handler.

Reactions: Eight Legger
And I will add, I was not super hyped about the Hunt and Harris pick ups, namely bc they had not shown explosive offense. And I did not think Mooney would emphasize defense enough. They are really good pick ups now that we have a defensive mind set. Harris impressed me on offense too, he is not a liability on that end either.

Dji is going to be the guy teams are seeking to foul in the end of game situation, we have already seen that. So, he needs to improve in that area. Although after the other night, not sure I'm comfortable with Quinn and Bigs :) Honestly, Jordan is probably the only guy I really trust and of course other teams know this so they are going to seek to deny him the ball and force into D-Lo and or Dji.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT