ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond 79 VCU 76 - Spiders Avenge Loss...Outplay the Rams

mojo-spider

Team Manager
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010

I expect many Richmond fans are like me and woke up happy and exhausted this morning...the atmosphere inside the Robins Center was reminiscent of some of the most important and greatest games I've seen there...most recently, it reminded me of the historic 2022 A-10 Championship game against Davidson in DC...it was intense from start to finish against our most bitter rival...like the players the fans and students gave it everything we had...

besides our team doing what they've done all season, making the biggest plays at the most important time...it appears our offense is catching up with our tough defense...have the Spiders ever shot 67% FG and 50% 3FG for a half against the Rams?...

reliving the selected amateur highlights, I was struck by the precision with which we are running our offense...the passing, cutting, and screening just seems extraordinary...it's putting our players in position to finish plays all over the court...that's how you get to 67% FG...

Jordan King was electric again...he clearly deserves to be on the Spiders list of very special players, but the great thing about how our offense is running is that everyone is involved and able to make big plays...if you saw the game you know what a giant game Delonnie Hunt had...and how about Neal Quinn! How does a man of his size catch and dish the way he does?...and Dji Bailey is always in the middle of wins with big plays on both ends of the court...and Isaiah Bigelow just continues to make big plays!...without any one of these men we might not have brought home last night's W...

Coach Mooney said in his local media session Friday that the Spiders offense was still improving and showing the capability to score in surges...I think we saw a surge begin at about the 13 minute mark of the 2nd half...

it's March and that means every win gets more and more important for contending teams...in a perfect world coaches like to have their teams playing their best ball at the most important time...it looks like the Spiders could be peaking at just the right time!

Coach Mooney was asked in his post game radio interview last night what made this team so special...I'm paraphrasing, but I believe he cited their competitiveness as making them what they have been on the court...obviously they hate to lose!

it was pretty crazy in the stands last night so besides the spectacular plays in the selected highlights you'll enjoy fist pumps, hands and head bobs...they just make reliving the plays even more fun...

congrats to the players and coaches...on to St. Joseph's...let's finish this thing!

Go Spiders!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT