ADVERTISEMENT

St. Mary's vs VCU

Who do you have winning VCU vs. ST Mary's

• St. Mary's

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • VCU

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
If Rhoades does go to Penn State and VCU gets superstar Odom they will have upped us all over again. And this one might be the tops bc Odom really should have been at UR. F’n brilliant if VCU didn’t counter to Rhoades & let him walk to bring in Odom.
The amazing thing is VCU already has a quality coach before Rhodes even gets out the door. I can’t imagine UR being able to pull off something like this in a million years.

The amazing thing is VCU already has a quality coach before Rhodes even gets out the door. I can’t imagine UR being able to pull off something like this in a million years.
Right. We would take several days to form the search committee. Then the search committee would take several days to determine the "guiding principles" of the search committee.

We might even need to hire an outside search firm to find good candidates for the guiding principles subcommittee.

Hate VCU but if they pull this off I respect they said we r not going to be pulled into a leverage/contract power play and give in to these coach & agent demands. Instead say thanks but no thanks we’ll just go get a better coach. And I like Rhoades he’s solid just didn’t have the pr angle of Shaka or slick will wade. But he’s not Odom imo.

And they did it in a year they had a loaded team coming back and willing to risk roster blow up. But confident it will keep going regardless of that.

Meanwhile here at U of R we pull our own pants down and talk about Regattas. If vcu ends up w Odom over us just more of the same x 10.

Now now, it's not like Odom took a brand new (to him) team playing its second game under him and beat our team of experienced fourth- and fifth-year/greatest-class-ever members by 11 points on a neutral floor.

Oh damn, yes it is.

Didn't believe only winning 1 in 4 against your crosstown rival could get worse, but suspecting it will if they land Odom.

Don't know a whole lot about Odom but think I need to do my research, based on you guy's reactions I am horrified already.
How about 20 points better than UVA with Bennett while only armed with America East resources?

Now now, it's not like Odom took a brand new (to him) team playing its second game under him and beat our team of experienced fourth- and fifth-year/greatest-class-ever members by 11 points on a neutral floor.

Oh damn, yes it is.
And still they ended up 18-16 but KenPom 60?

Agreed. Penn State is not the job for him and I think he knows it. I'm sure the ego massage and pay bump are tough to turn down, but I bet he turns this into an opportunity to pump more $$$ out of VCU.
Not sure I should believe a thing you two guys say anymore! 😁 (Seriously, I'm kidding, just having a little fun.)

Money talks, gentlemen, and big money practically shouts. Always has, always will.

Reactions: Zeeter
What was it Steve Miller said? Something like, "Go on, take the money and run?"
He also said “I might get rich you know I might get busted” - seems like the thought process for Rhoades if he does indeed take the money and run

About Odom, if the rumors are true, we might have an advantage for the first game or two. Because he won't immediately know how to win against our style of play (when it is working or we shoot really well) or our own self-destructive tendencies.

I'm sure vcu gives an incentive to beat Richmond, so he will study film of prior games

They do...I believe the vcu men's bball coaching contract was posted some time ago....I don't recall the amt but think it was somewhere bt 2.5k-10k

What was it Steve Miller said? Something like, "Go on, take the money and run?"

Rhoades may have left for professional ambitions & $$ but plenty of coaches wait. It wasn’t that I didn’t expect Rhoades to be a lifer, only vcu fans did & we at UR r the lucky ones who reap all the tremendous benefits of a coach 19 years in 1 place. Rhoades has best team of his tenure coming back & could be in mix for better jobs next cycle if he wanted.

There r countless examples. Just look at UR & VCU locally. Mooney no to BC & ga tech - the one time he was ever courted - Shaka turned down UCLA. Freaking ucla. Even JB turned down Rutgers. All came w more $$. So it happens just not in this case. Not sure we’ll ever know but I also do think Rhoades miscalculated vcu counter. Tactically may have been outplayed. Vcu crushes us on court now off. Presumably he was looking at raise maybe into low 2s? & couple more years added which would mean 6 total. That’s why I don’t see the generational wealth argument. 1 mil difference roughly low 2s vs low 3s. With possibly more security at vcu. But maybe he was surprised at vcu’ lack of eagerness. If Odom is the wings I get it. Now they save $ get a better coach & who knows maybe he can hold onto their top guys like Ace tho that’s a lot to ask.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Major upgrade for the sheep if they get him. Hopefully USF throws some football money there but if i’m Odom I’m running to VCU over that. Good thing i’ve tempered my expectations of our program, otherwise I’d be furious.

I suspect that Mike Rhodes' primarily motivation for going to Penn State is that he gets to "go home." It is reported that he grew up and played ball less than 2-hours from Penn State. This means that he likes the area, and that he very likely idolized Penn State as HIS rooting interest in his growing up years. Moving his family close to his roots was probably huge.

I also suspect that Rhoades liked the money. There is no lose in his contract. If he completes the five years at $3.5 a year, Rhoades wins big. If he struggles, and gets fired after 2-3-years, Rhoades wins big because he still gets paid. What's not to like?

Bonus, this move gives Rhoades an opportunity to see if he can step up and compete at a higher level. Pressure to win at Penn State basketball isn't nearly what it is in football. They have had limited basketball success in recent years (until this season's aberration). Would the administrators and fans like him to beat Michigan State, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Indiana every year, sure. Do they REALLY expect it to happen, no.

It is even possible that Rhoades looks to retire after 5-years. I think that this a great match for both parties. I give some credit to the AD for putting the puzzle together. p.s., I do think that they are overpaying him, don't think it was necessary to get him on board.

Reports late last night say Rhoades has been offered the Penn State job and its over $ 3 million per year. Yes - he would get to go "home", although Richmond has been a big part of his "home" as well. This move would be about two things - MONEY and moving up. Money comes first all the time in these decisions. Even if you sit back and say to yourself - I might fail and then what happens in 5 years? Well - what happens, is that you made $ 5 million (and like more) in salary in those 5 years than you could have made at VCU. And yes - he is making a lot of money at VCU and should be very comfortable, but your talking generational money at this point. The ability to not only provide for his own kids, but their kids as well someday. Every extra million counts.

Moving up - with the down season of the A10 last year, and who knows what the future holds for the A10 - but only 1 bid compared to playing in the Big Ten with 7-8-9 bids per year - there is a huge difference. And yes - Penn State is a football school, but all that means is they have the money and means to make basketball competitive - if they want. And I get the feeling they want to with this coaching search.

Why do some of you think Odom is a better coach than Rhoades? Other than beating UVA, which Ohio and Furman have also done lately (and JMU and a few other non majors), Odom hasn't come close to winning as much as Rhoades has done.

If he fails at Penn State, he will still be able to get a job at the A-10 level again. If he stays at VCU in a one-bid league and misses the tourney a few times in a row (admittedly not likely these days), he is looking at a lower level job.

Why do some of you think Odom is a better coach than Rhoades? Other than beating UVA, which Ohio and Furman have also done lately (and JMU and a few other non majors), Odom hasn't come close to winning as much as Rhoades has done.
I'm not proclaiming him a worldbeater or anything, but the dude has been a head coach for 8 years and has won 21+ games in 5 of them. He went 26-9 this year. He beat our asses last year in his second game as coach of Utah State (which is in a better league than the A10).

Home run for VCU. Meanwhile, we are told to lower expectations and accept transition years. Can't make it up. Remarkable that UR has fallen into this ridiculous way of thinking. We need new leadership on the BOT, a new president, new AD, and new leadership in the basketball program. We need to clean house and regain some sense of sanity on campus.

I'm not proclaiming him a worldbeater or anything, but the dude has been a head coach for 8 years and has won 21+ games in 5 of them. He went 26-9 this year. He beat our asses last year in his second game as coach of Utah State (which is in a better league than the A10).
All true, and he has proved he is a good coach..just wondering why some think he is an upgrade over Rhoades. Rhoades had 2 1sts, 2 2nds, a 5th and an 8th place finish in 6 years at VCU. As bad as the A-10 has struggled, it is way way better than the American East, where Odom and UMBC had a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th in 5 years. The win over UVA was tremendous and Utah St had a good year this year, but my question would be how does that make him an upgrade over Rhoades?

I think Odom would do just fine. Other name being tossed around to replace Rhoades (if he leaves) is Mike Morrell, who just go UNC Asheville into the tourney and worked under Shaka at VCU and Texas. I think he is a little less proven than Odom, but if they want to continue with the Shaka coaching tree - he would be the name to watch.

Word is the Odom deal is done.

Rhoades was offered $3.2MM at PSU and VCU countered at $2.6MM. Hearing that the problem was not the money, but the length of contract. Rhoades wanted longer, VCU said no. Interesting.

Odom is a good get for us. Look at his numbers and you see Utah St. with an offensive efficiency rank of 16 and a defensive rank of 60. Those are very good numbers. The problem will be can we keep our players together. At this point, nobody knows. We were set for next year with Rhoades. Lost Johns and Shriver, but they were both one year guys. Two have entered the portal- Banks and McAllister. Banks had his moments this year but was playing behind much better options. McAllister was actually a senior, but only played part of one year as he was injured each year. We have four scholarships to fill, plus who leaves because of the Rhoades departure. But the portal is out there for the new coach to dip into.

Not worried. It is the program that counts. One player or coach, while it could make a difference marginally, won't kill us. We have been through this before.

Got to give hats off to our AD. He was ready and moved so fast that we were hearing Odom as the new coach before we could confirm that Rhoades was gone.

Glad to see Chris is back on the job, doing well. When I first heard about the PSU job opening up, he was the first one I thought about being a good candidate.

Good luck- Looking forward to next year already.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
VCU once again showing why they are who they are. Lost a successful head coach and it looks like they are ready to bring in a guy that any Spider fan would give their left nut to have leading our program.

Meanwhile, we are stuck with the guy no one wants, including a substantial part of our fanbase.

Somedays, it sucks more than others to continue to try and be a supporter of UR, today is one of those days.

All true, and he has proved he is a good coach..just wondering why some think he is an upgrade over Rhoades. Rhoades had 2 1sts, 2 2nds, a 5th and an 8th place finish in 6 years at VCU. As bad as the A-10 has struggled, it is way way better than the American East, where Odom and UMBC had a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th in 5 years. The win over UVA was tremendous and Utah St had a good year this year, but my question would be how does that make him an upgrade over Rhoades?

? Odom was at UMBC u know how hard it is to win there. They were in last place when he took over, they were 28-95 w prior coach. Rhoades took over VCU a regular in the NCAA. U can't compare finishes btw VCU and UMBC especially with where each started. Apple to oranges imo. What did Rhoades do at Rice? Odom also had Utah State as a sub 20 Net. Yes he's an upgrade. Nothing is guaranteed except VCU is the closest to a guarantee unfortunately. This is not a shot at Rhoades but not happy to see them land Odom, who years ago wanted the UR job.

FMRICK coming to mansplain like the sun rising in the East. But it's ok though. I know u have great 411 on VCU so if 5 years at 3.2 mil, vs. 6 years at 2.6 mil (Rhoades already had 4 years left like our own MOONEY remarkable they both have 4 they must have similar results I bet too). Who knows on buyouts but if accurate u r right that has nothing to do with a change in generational wealth. It's not a huge difference. But I'm not sure if VCU even went that high. I know he was offered something they were talking contact stuff even b4 Penn State came about, but I think Rhoades made too big a bluff and got called. VCU did the right thing here. Hell if vcu boosters were supplementing some of the coaches contract they can redirect those savings into NIL now. John Hardt big hat not cattle would have folded.

Anyway we got a major breaking news interview coming up at 4:30 on the Bob Black show. They might even get into the Eagles free agency!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT