ADVERTISEMENT

St. Mary's vs VCU

Who do you have winning VCU vs. ST Mary's

• St. Mary's

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • VCU

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
Pretty sure VCU didn't chase off Rhoades, since they lost their entire team when he left. Rather, he took a better contract and money at a bigger program. However, it is clear that VCU knows how to run their program and had a contingency plan in place which they executed as soon as they knew Rhoades was leaving.

Again, it is quite easy to see why they are so successful and it is way more than they can admit some kids that we can't. They have a great athletic department with a huge focus on their flagship sport and unabashed, publicly stated desire to win and win big. Heck, their university President stood up to today and said "Winning is important. We want to win. We need to win"

Remind me again, what our goals for our MBB team are???? I know our AD said it was a "transitional year" or previous BOT president said we need to "temper our expectations", our President has been pretty much crickets on the team.

This is why VCU wins and will continue to win big and why we are what we are. Leadership, setting goals, being accountable to those goals.

They weren't going to fire Rhoades, he left of his own volition. So apparently doing well in the regular season, but then not winning an NCAA tournament game throughout his entire career there, was perfectly acceptable to them.
He got them 3 appearances in a 6 year period. Sure it would have been nice to get a tourney win, but his accomplishments dwarf that of Mooney. We should be so lucky to go to the NCAA every other year as opposed to every 6 years.

He got them 3 appearances in a 6 year period. Sure it would have been nice to get a tourney win, but his accomplishments dwarf that of Mooney. We should be so lucky to go to the NCAA every other year as opposed to every 6 years.
Exactly. You have to get their to have a chance. Anyone can get beat, the parity is greater than ever - a la SDSU and FAU in the final four, an FDU team we trounced beating the number 1 seed and on. Look at SDSU with Dutcher. Lost to Creighton last year when an 80+% FT shooter missed two shots. Beat Creighton this year when a 75% FT shooter missed the first and hit the second. Had a covid year top 5 team that never got to play. But when you just keep coming back, like Rhoades, you eventually knock down that barrier and win a game or two or three. I know Wood was on here knocking Dutcher last year, but would rather have a coach and program that feel the urgency to get to the dance every year. You never know what can happen. The lack of urgency with Richmond is really disheartening. Rhoades is a winner, from what I saw of Odom last two years at Utah State, he is not happy to just have the job, he will expect to win.

Pretty sure VCU didn't chase off Rhoades, since they lost their entire team when he left. Rather, he took a better contract and money at a bigger program. However, it is clear that VCU knows how to run their program and had a contingency plan in place which they executed as soon as they knew Rhoades was leaving.

Again, it is quite easy to see why they are so successful and it is way more than they can admit some kids that we can't. They have a great athletic department with a huge focus on their flagship sport and unabashed, publicly stated desire to win and win big. Heck, their university President stood up to today and said "Winning is important. We want to win. We need to win"

Remind me again, what our goals for our MBB team are???? I know our AD said it was a "transitional year" or previous BOT president said we need to "temper our expectations", our President has been pretty much crickets on the team.

This is why VCU wins and will continue to win big and why we are what we are. Leadership, setting goals, being accountable to those goals.
No secret as to why they've been successful, at least in regular season It's because they as an administration made the decision to go all in with basketball and admissions criteria, or lack thereof, is pretty much nonexistent. As long as we refuse to loosen our admission standards for basketball we will continue to be behind the 8 ball in terms with competing with such schools. Just a fact.

No secret as to why they've been successful, at least in regular season It's because they as an administration made the decision to go all in with basketball and admissions criteria, or lack thereof, is pretty much nonexistent. As long as we refuse to loosen our admission standards for basketball we will continue to be behind the 8 ball in terms with competing with such schools. Just a fact.
plenty of schools have high acedemics and are successful. blaming admissions is an excuse. we haven't had anyone rejected in a while.

yes, VCU has a bigger pool to choose from. advantage VCU. we have advantages with some kids too.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Someone may be able to google it or is aware of more cases, but I have seen exactly one case of a player not being academically ineligible since covid and the transfer portal and now NIL. Our buddy Chad Baker from Duquesne was basically kicked off the team at SDSU due to grades. And reading their board, he basically had a chance to try to get back in standing in summer school and did not show up to classes.
I feel like the pendulum has swung to where a player really only has to make an appearance of academics in most cases and schools to stay "eligible"

Why does hiring Odom scream they want to win? I mean, yes, of course they want to win, but they got a guy who made a lateral move from Utah St to VCU. I just don't get the love for him, other than the ongoing reason to get on Mooney and our program. Looks like he has already failed his first test, keeping his best players there. If Odom does not do well, and I'm not sure he will, it could be argued VCU made a mistake with this quick hire instead of giving it time to get someone better.

Last edited:
Why does hiring Odom scream they want to win? I mean, yes, of course they want to win, but they got a guy who made a lateral move from Utah St to VCU. I just don't get the love for him, other than the ongoing reason to get on Mooney and our program. Looks like he has already failed his first test, keeping his best players there. If Odom does not do well, and I'm not sure he will, it could be argued VCU made a mistake with this quick hire instead of giving it time to get someone better.

Vcu AD & Pres r the ones screaming going deep in tourney & ncaa championship. & that’s who they hired. The love is out there all over from non local media etc. which has nothing to do w Moon. Seems pretty universal from what I’ve seen. On here when it’s vcu related & we r 8-24 under Moon & they go to ncaas consistently & we go 3 for 17 all while we have a 19 year coach & they r a coaching carousel, yeah that’s what u get. To be expected really. And what u will continue to get until we change that w any regularity. I like Odom & wanted him here myself but now will hope something doesn’t click for him at vcu for whatever reason. He will not be without pressure. We should try that concept here. As far as players let’s see how it plays out ultimately first. ppl were so quick to bury VCU early in year it would be a mistake now too imo.

Reactions: SpiderGuy
Why does hiring Odom scream they want to win? I mean, yes, of course they want to win, but they got a guy who made a lateral move from Utah St to VCU.
Utah State is 1-10 in NCAA tournament play since 2001. You have to go back to 1970 to find another win (they won twice), and since 1970 they’re 3-19 in the tourney.

Since 2001 VCU is 9-11 in the NCAA tournament. Hell, even if you go back to 1970 for VCU they’re 13-17.

Odom at UMBC had as many tourney wins as a 16 seed as Utah State has had in their last 18 NCAA tournament appearances.

Not exactly what I would define as a lateral move. I would actually call it a stretch to say it is a lateral move.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Utah State is 1-10 in NCAA tournament play since 2001. You have to go back to 1970 to find another win (they won twice), and since 1970 they’re 3-19 in the tourney.

Since 2001 VCU is 9-11 in the NCAA tournament. Hell, even if you go back to 1970 for VCU they’re 13-17.

Odom at UMBC had as many tourney wins as a 16 seed as Utah State has had in their last 18 NCAA tournament appearances.

Not exactly what I would define as a lateral move. I would actually call it a stretch to say it is a lateral move.
Utah St made the dance in 2019, 2020 (would have made it), 2021, and 2023. Why does it matter what happened in 1970, and 5 of VCU's wins you mentioned came 12 years ago in the same season. Their conference got 4 teams in the dance this year, and one of them is still alive in the final four. You are right....maybe it is a stretch to say lateral move. Maybe I should have said similar team, lesser conference move.

Reactions: urfan1
I agree looking at it from Odum's view. He went from one mid to another so a lateral mood only in that sense. Though I think we all believe Odum looking beyond VCU towards a P6 job. Out west wasn't his recruiting area. Didn't realize until looking up his coaching career but the Southeast is his backyard.

And no way close to a lateral move salary wise. Don't know if mentioned his 800K salary of 5 year contract. Was 50% buyout of 2.4M left leaving now. No April's fools joke but read goes down to 35% starting tomorrow so think he hasn't yet been officially signed. So VCU owes them 840K. Would it probably correct to surmise Odum's getting at least 1.5M? That is no lateral move in my book and MrsO must be ecstatic from where she was just 3 years ago.

And don't believe they wanted Rhoades to leave. They probably offered him around 2.5M and possibly might have taken it but read here PST giving him 7 years around 25M guaranteed says hello Happy Valley! Their AD probably saw the writing the wall and had Odum already close to in the bag if Rhoades decided to exit. And if it's 1.5M or even 2 if I was their AD/higher ups etc etc I wouldn't worry at all saving some cash.

As long as Odum gets enough talent VCU won't miss a beat. Just a hunch but I would take Odum over Rhoades. The only good thing is he will probably leave VCU in the near future for a P6 job. Or possibly (praying) that Odum poops the bed. And their dominance over us finally might comes to an end? Sorry to say that chance could have happened earlier if we had a different coach. Or could we might have gotten a coach less successful than Mooney? So we still lose to them regularly. Nothing has changed! You just hire another coach and continue trying until you get it right.

PS not wanting to put all the blame on Mooney but have no idea about UR's AD but all I read here they could do much better in regards to b-ball. I mean come on, that's the school's flagship sport with getting national recognition if successful.

And no way close to a lateral move salary wise. Don't know if mentioned his 800K salary of 5 year contract. Was 50% buyout of 2.4M left leaving now. No April's fools joke but read goes down to 35% starting tomorrow so think he hasn't yet been officially signed. So VCU owes them 840K.

Odom not Odum. U r right on buyout language but VCU had a press conference to introduce Odom & tweeted a picture of him signing a contract. Another example of how VCU is all about winning they didn’t care about paying 360k for about 36 hours extra of getting their coach in place. And if USU takes the lesser buyout they would be even dumber than UR’s AD dept & admin.

VCU came out ahead in the buyout $ and contracts overall but technically VCU owes nothing. Odom owes it. Just like Rhoades owes vcu not Penn state. Granted when u get into this type of $ the hiring school might take care of it. Assume so but idk bc not always the case. Now this goes back a while but Beilein always took care of his buyouts personally. UR had to sue Ole Jer if u remember bc he tried to welch on his. DePaulful wasn’t involved at all.

yes, the coach owes the buyout ... not the new school. no idea why Odom wouldn't have waited a couple of days.

Utah St made the dance in 2019, 2020 (would have made it), 2021, and 2023. Why does it matter what happened in 1970, and 5 of VCU's wins you mentioned came 12 years ago in the same season. Their conference got 4 teams in the dance this year, and one of them is still alive in the final four. You are right....maybe it is a stretch to say lateral move. Maybe I should have said similar team, lesser conference move.
4700, I can agree with you that Utah State to VCU can be seen as a lateral move for Odom, espicially looking at what the MWC has done and continue to do in comparison to A-10. Odom made the move cause he is an East Coast guy and because VCU was able to bump up his pay considerable. Also think Odom is looking for an ACC job down the road, so if you want an ACC job what better place to make that case than by leading a big time program in their own backyard.

This is probably why he had interest in our job as well.

really could question why PSU didn't give Odom as much consideration as Rhoades.
track record isn't that different. age is similar. maybe at least deserved a look/interview.

really could question why PSU didn't give Odom as much consideration as Rhoades.
track record isn't that different. age is similar. maybe at least deserved a look/interview.
S-man you are me both. As a PSU fan, I wish they had. Rhoades was on their radar two years ago and I think the PA connection was part of it. But they definitely got tunnel vision with Rhoades and seemingly shut out other candidates after that.

Reactions: SpiderK
Kern heading to Penn State as well, and DeLoach is visiting this weekend.

Seems like all the vcu fans wanted Kern back more than anyone, which I thought was a little odd.

Rumor has it that VCU has Wheeler, Efton, and Jaynel coming in this weekend, and may be ready to sign two Utah State starters. Also heard they may also be entertaining 2 Utah State recruits.
Deloach, Watkins and Nunn are probably as good as gone.

I would be surprised if any of this is true other than the players transferring out.

Reid makes a lot of sense. he's wasted 2 years. could be a monster at this level.

Now we’re letting private school kids from the West End go to vcu?! Come the F on. I guess Steward School doesn’t have rigorous enough academics for us??

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Rumor has it that VCU has Wheeler, Efton, and Jaynel coming in this weekend, and may be ready to sign two Utah State starters. Also heard they may also be entertaining 2 Utah State recruits.
Deloach, Watkins and Nunn are probably as good as gone.

I would be surprised if any of this is true other than the players transferring out.
Didn’t you forget Joe Bam?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT