ADVERTISEMENT

X Factors

Agree for the most part, though wouldn't say as good as any we have had. With smaller guards, the effort can look great, and they are playing great - for their size. BUT - they can be posted up and can be shot over - as others have alluded to and noted on this board. So the effort and ability to stop the dribble etc are all top notch, but can they bother shooters? Just noting that my huge offense vs defense trade off in my mind with Dusan vs Dji seems to have some statistical backing.
Did you ever really notice any guards posting Hunt or Tyne up last year? I didn't. No one even posted Jacob up either. That's not what guards do anymore. They don't work at it. They work on their handle, their 3s, and driving. I remember SDad telling us Dji would post all these other guards up. He didn't. He had a good year and was real good at driving to the basket, but we never saw any post ups. That's what Tyne and Hunt can prevent...the drives to the basket.

You showed with Hunt's and Tyne's examples that this data is flawed. I would say let's wait and see how Dusan does for our team, in our defense, in our system before panicking here.
Not panicking, just pointing out that he is likely not on the same level on defense as last year's forwards. If he can be solid, and forward next to him good on D, and both scorers - that can make up the difference. But eyewitness account from scrimmage on this board seems to back up the idea that he is not going to be a + defender. I hope he is though.

Well, you guys can try to rewrite history all you want, but you are wrong. Noyes started the first 7 games, and got minutes off the bench the 6 games after that.

In game 8 against W&M, Roche started in place of Noyes, probably because at the time we still felt we would need 3s from that spot. Noyes played 16 minutes off the bench that game. In game 9 against No Iowa, Roche started again. Noyes played 19 minutes off the bench that game. In game 10 against Florida, Dji was playing well and started, and both Roche and Noyes got minutes off the bench. In game 11 against Charlotte, Dji started again. Roche and Noyes got minutes off the bench. Game 12 against Buffalo, Dji started and Roche and Noyes got minutes off the bench. Game 13, same thing. Dji started, Roche and Noyes got minutes off the bench.

My goodness, guys, this was last year. Did you really forget all this, or are you just wanting something to get on Mooney for whether it is accurate or not?
doesn't this prove the initial point that we should hope Moon can identify his best five and their fit before the OOC is a wash? If he was still looking for shooting by game 10 he must have missed the season Jordan was having.

Agreed and both of the above seemed true during the scrimmage .. Dusan will be one of our top scorers imo but will struggle I fear at times defensively against big strong teams.
That's okay to me. I know defense is important. Big time important, but if Dusan can be one of our top scorers, I am okay with just average D. A guy with his size who can shoot and score....add great D and we are talking a 1st round NBA pick. I guess I am just more realistic and don't expect all of our guys to be great at both offense and defense.

doesn't this prove the initial point that we should hope Moon can identify his best five and their fit before the OOC is a wash? If he was still looking for shooting by game 10 he must have missed the season Jordan was having.
No, doesn't really prove your point at all, but no worries. I think you are worried too much about how and when Dji started. It's not like Mooney didn't play him much and then said maybe he should play. He had 6 games with 26 or more minutes before he started game 10.

Not panicking, just pointing out that he is likely not on the same level on defense as last year's forwards. If he can be solid, and forward next to him good on D, and both scorers - that can make up the difference. But eyewitness account from scrimmage on this board seems to back up the idea that he is not going to be a + defender. I hope he is though.
I hear you. Dji and Bigs were really good at that end. I don't expect us to match that this year. But, maybe we find more offense to offset that. We had several games where we really struggled offensively last year. Our offensive efficiency was only 156 last year. Our defense was 34. Maybe we have a lesser defense, but a better offense and the result is another great regular season followed by some post season noise this time.

Reactions: GKiller
I think you always look for shooting. It's the way the game is now and you can never have enough shooters. Don't forget we had several bad shooting games from 3 during our 1st 9 OOC games: 5-19 against BC, 5-20 against Colorado, Wichita St 7-23, No Iowa 6-18. All losses. Dji was 0-1, 1-1, 0-0, and 0-0 from 3 those games. So, I do understand why we gave Noyes some games to see if he could get it done. He couldn't, and Dji proved he was the better option. Not sure what the issue is with this.

Speaking of Noyes I do still think there’s potential maybe he needed different kind of O idk. He had 3 years here & chances but will be interesting to see what he does at Belmont.

My concern with Tanner is he was behind Noyes and got no time like last on bench almost. Reports r good but we normally get a preseason good report that doesn’t pan out. Would like to see it bc there’s an opening for shooter with size. 1 of him Glou or McGlothin I think he has to be a player for us.

Dobbins was certainly longer than Tyne. I'll wait to see how Tyne's career goes. off to a remarkably comparable statistical start after freshman year though!

Dobbins: 16.4 mpg, 4.7 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.8 apg, 1.1 spg, 1.5 tov
Tyne: 17.0 mpg, 4.0 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 0.8 apg, 0.5 spg, 0.5 tov

let's hope Tyne has a similar impact for us.

That's okay to me. I know defense is important. Big time important, but if Dusan can be one of our top scorers, I am okay with just average D. A guy with his size who can shoot and score....add great D and we are talking a 1st round NBA pick. I guess I am just more realistic and don't expect all of our guys to be great at both offense and defense.
Agreed. I think he is going to have a great season and potentially be our leading scorer.

Reactions: VT4700
Nice job by 23 starting this thread. With the portal we don't get nearly as many 23 write ups on our returning guys. 23, how about some write ups on our transfers?

Reactions: Section9.RowD
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT