ADVERTISEMENT

St. Mary's vs VCU

Who do you have winning VCU vs. ST Mary's

• St. Mary's

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • VCU

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
Micah Shrewsberry. Lol. They already had their coach who could move the needle and let him out the door.

As for Rhoades, Penn State is not a basketball school, so they need a coach with a pedigree, and with a big personality, who is going to be able to push Penn State leadership to see the value in investing more. Rhoades is not that guy. Solid coach, good recruiter (not great), low key personality. That isn't going to move the needle enough to win at Penn State.

Shaka would be a good fit for Penn State is an example. Bob Hurley (whom I can't stand but man does he win) is another. Yeah, you are going to have to open the bank vault for those guys, but if you get a guy who can get that program to the NCAA's regularly, it well worth the investment.
?? Shaka ( was making 3.5 at Texas, obviously making more at Marquette) leaving Marquette for PSU? He grew up near there. He's not going anywhere. Hurley (just signed extension thru 2026) leaving ASU for PSU? Not happening.

also, who cares, f VCU, why can't we win enough for this to be a UR issue, dammit.

all you can do is laugh when you think back to consider how many of their head coaches have been taken away over the years while our guy is riding the low-demand gravy train for approaching TWENTY years with no end in sight

?? Shaka ( was making 3.5 at Texas, obviously making more at Marquette) leaving Marquette for PSU? He grew up near there. He's not going anywhere. Hurley (just signed extension thru 2026) leaving ASU for PSU? Not happening.
Sorry meant Danny Hurley, not Bobby, although Bobby would be a consideration as well. My point was not to say those two specifically but someone of that ilk. Maybe Shaheen Holloway?? PSU needs a big coaching name. Rhoades isn't it, in my opinion.

The other name I heard mentioned once or twice was Jay Wright. Can they offload enough money on him to bring him out of retirement. Probably not, but if your Penn State, you compete in the Big 10, you have an opportunity to hear to make a big splash and maybe change your trajectory. You will need to unload a huge contract on this coach, that is just reality, or you can do it on the relative cheap and hire someone like Rhoades.

Sorry meant Danny Hurley, not Bobby, although Bobby would be a consideration as well. My point was not to say those two specifically but someone of that ilk. Maybe Shaheen Holloway?? PSU needs a big coaching name. Rhoades isn't it, in my opinion.

The other name I heard mentioned once or twice was Jay Wright. Can they offload enough money on him to bring him out of retirement. Probably not, but if your Penn State, you compete in the Big 10, you have an opportunity to hear to make a big splash and maybe change your trajectory. You will need to unload a huge contract on this coach, that is just reality, or you can do it on the relative cheap and hire someone like Rhoades.
Danny Hurley type? Leaving a UCONN type? You can't just say, hey I want a big coaching name and then go get one. What has Holloway done that makes him a big name anyway? I'm having a hard time following you here. Rhoades has been one of the most successful mid major coaches out there. The big names you are probably wanting them to hire would not make lateral or lower level moves.

Jay Wright? LOL. Did u hear Coach K and Roy Williams as well?

Last edited:
so you're moving your own goalposts a little here. Your first post said 2 years of PSU money is life changing for him. SF correctly disputed that.

SF originally pointed out that 2 years of PSU money is basically what Rhoades has ALREADY earned at VCU and then some ($7-8m) and that if that is life-changing money, #1 - he's already made that much, and #2 at VCU it takes him 4 years, not 2 to earn the same amount, which is not a humongous amount of time / aka not life-changing the way it was stated (generationally.)

No one is disputing the overall difference in money, just the original 2 years at PSU is life changing statement.

It's life-changing for an Ivy coach making $200k per year to jump to $3.5/4m (20x), not so much for an A10 coach already making $1.8m (2x)

That's all. The long term difference of $10m is of course a factor, but doubling a multi-millionaire's current huge salary is not as immediately life changing.
For most people, a raise to $3.6 million a year from $1.8 million a year would change their lives.

For most people, a raise to $3.6 million a year from $1.8 million a year would change their lives.
But would it change it as much as a raise to $360K from $180k?

It seems there must be a law of diminishing returns at some point. Just don't know where, but I'd like to find out.

Reactions: urfan1
I'm gonna be that dude who quibbles on words and say the argument you were making about 2 years of 3.5/4m salary translating to generational wealth being the impetus for a move was not a statement about most people, it was about Mike Rhoades, a guy who made like $9-10 million the last 6 years at VCU.

But for most people, yes of course. And as pointed out by URmite, raises of other size also can be life-changing, given the original circumstances. Give many people an extra $50k/year and their lives are much improved.

not sure why you're stuck on "2 years".
Penn State isn't going to offer anyone just 2 years. it's going to be about 5 years guaranteed. at $3.5M or more. yes, that's life changing even for a guy making $1.8M. the guy is about 50 and has 3 kids.

and that's just talking about money. it's also a great job at a great school in a great conference.
if he doesn't think he can win there then don't take the job. but I can't imagine he doesn't think he can win there.

Bottom line is he's going to get twice as much money in the same amount of time. Everyone would do that. Remember that most people live to their means. So to you and me, the money he has made so far seems like a ton, but he's probably living in a million dollar house, driving expensive cars and feeding Bobby Bobbinson's blow habit. (I kid, I kid. I think he probably drives modest cars.)

Anyway, people always want more money regardless of how much they have.

we'll see if Rhoades thinks it's generational wealth or insane to turn down, because personally I think he stays.

Danny Hurley type? Leaving a UCONN type? You can't just say, hey I want a big coaching name and then go get one. What has Holloway done that makes him a big name anyway? I'm having a hard time following you here. Rhoades has been one of the most successful mid major coaches out there. The big names you are probably wanting them to hire would not make lateral or lower level moves.

Jay Wright? LOL. Did u hear Coach K and Roy Williams as well?
This is why you love Mooney. Small dreams = small results.

we'll see if Rhoades thinks it's generational wealth or insane to turn down, because personally I think he stays.
Agreed. Penn State is not the job for him and I think he knows it. I'm sure the ego massage and pay bump are tough to turn down, but I bet he turns this into an opportunity to pump more $$$ out of VCU.

He would be a fool to not exercise the leverage he has in this situation. I think he gets paid big no matter what happens.
Yep, you have to wonder how many of these job interviews are conducted just so coaches can force their current employer to pony up. I'd be shocked if he is going because PSU came and met with him and then nothing, so we can pretty much assume, he is waiting until VCU sweetens the pot and then they announce he is staying at VCU under a new deal.

The only place this doesn't happen is here. Where we negoiate against ourselves for no reason. Extended Mooney another 3 years after last year. Why???? Was anyone coming to get Mooney? Of course not because no one wants him.

Yep, you have to wonder how many of these job interviews are conducted just so coaches can force their current employer to pony up. I'd be shocked if he is going because PSU came and met with him and then nothing, so we can pretty much assume, he is waiting until VCU sweetens the pot and then they announce he is staying at VCU under a new deal.

The only place this doesn't happen is here. Where we negoiate against ourselves for no reason. Extended Mooney another 3 years after last year. Why???? Was anyone coming to get Mooney? Of course not because no one wants him.
Exactly bidding against ourselves for the guy nobody has shown any interest in for well over a decade. Just going through the motions. Treading water.

Exactly bidding against ourselves for the guy nobody has shown any interest in for well over a decade. Just going through the motions. Treading water.
pretty much everybody knew and expected an extension after the run last year. the length and amount could be argued, but most thought an extension was warranted.

pretty much everybody knew and expected an extension after the run last year. the length and amount could be argued, but most thought an extension was warranted.
It simply makes no sense. The contract should have performance bonuses and there should not be any expectation for an extension of both length and amount. Otherwise, you get what happened this year, which is paying more for a “transitional year.” Why isn’t underperformance penalized? UR surely wasn’t protecting itself from CM getting poached after last year’s run. But I suppose as long as UR is playing with other people’s money, ie PQ’s, I guess it doesn’t matter to them.

I literally do not care what Moon makes, other than for joke purposes. I care about results. We’ve been over it all and I agree UR had leverage to demand consistent high level results and surrendered it immediately.

I’d add “multiple transitional years” to the above. It is a proven pattern.

Yeah, everyone within our dysfunctional leadership circle "knew" this. I don't think most of the fanbase thought an extension was warranted. That is why we are who we are. Transitional years, tempering expectations and all.

We could have told Mooney to pound sand and what would have he had done? Not a damn thing because he had no other options.

So what’s the max limit VCU willing to spend, 2.5? If they let him go, do they really want to go back and pay maybe somebody 1M and roll the dice? No guarantees success continues and though only first year we see how well UMass and Rhode Island’s doing paying lots for past successful coaches.

Maybe 100k yearly increase like appears he’s been getting starting at 2M or so with new contract. If they offer that I don’t see how he leaves for PST unless he has Wade aspirations.

He might be in a weak one bid league, but even if he doesn’t win the tournament title still can get an at-large. Don’t think he was that far off this year. Plus with everyone probably coming back they look like the A10 favorite. Sadly making tourney 10 out of the last 14 years I believe makes them the closest thing the A10 has to Gonzaga.

Reactions: urfan1
Yeah, everyone within our dysfunctional leadership circle "knew" this. I don't think most of the fanbase thought an extension was warranted. That is why we are who we are. Transitional years, tempering expectations and all.

We could have told Mooney to pound sand and what would have he had done? Not a damn thing because he had no other options.
Exactly. But of course, we did the opposite. Hope everyone is getting excited for our 2033 Atlantic 10 championship run when we defeat Christopher Newport for the title!

not how I remember it. most on this board said he deserved an extension and we debated how long and how much.

and with what we graduated last year and what we had coming back, most also expected a "transitional" year. we did worse than expected, but were picked 6th everywhere.

not how I remember it. most on this board said he deserved an extension and we debated how long and how much.

and with what we graduated last year and what we had coming back, most also expected a "transitional" year. we did worse than expected, but were picked 6th everywhere.
I think your misconstrue the sentiment on this board. I think most on this board were resigned to the fact that he was going to get an extension and hence the debate. Using the word "deserved" with Mooney and all that he has put this program through is not the word I would use.

As for finishing 6th, yep we were and yet we finished 12th, again a common experience that we underperform expectations.

Come on, we've only finished 8th or 11th four times in the last six years... I'd say we got a sweetheart of a deal with him last year!

Come on, we've only finished 8th or 11th four times in the last six years... I'd say we got a sweetheart of a deal with him last year!
Trust you so not verifying your stats, but this encapsulates what is dreadfully wrong with our program. Is this all there is? Spiders cant do any better, not even marginally? This is acceptable for all the $$$ we have poured into the program? Does anyone care over there on the leafy campus?

Reactions: Eight Legger
Trust you so not verifying your stats, but this encapsulates what is dreadfully wrong with our program. Is this all there is? Spiders cant do any better, not even marginally? This is acceptable for all the $$$ we have poured into the program? Does anyone care over there on the leafy campus?

The Mooneyites are all on record saying that nobody can achieve more here than their guy.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
If Rhoades does go to Penn State and VCU gets superstar Odom they will have upped us all over again. And this one might be the tops bc Odom really should have been at UR. F’n brilliant if VCU didn’t counter to Rhoades & let him walk to bring in Odom.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT