ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Nelson Enters Transfer Portal, Commits to VCU

Nothing official yet, but I think Trilly has a pretty decent reputation. VCU folks presuming it may be a coordinated group announcement, so getting everybody lined up is taking a few days.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Guys, please stop the hand wringing over VCU. Bold prediction - the Spiders have a better record than the Rams next year!

I'm sort of a Mooney agnostic. I don't love him, don't hate him, and have resigned myself to the fact he's probably here for a while. The guy has his faults, but coaching PG's is NOT one of them. Look at the track record there. TBH, what I saw from Jay-Nel this year showed me that perhaps the player was not up to the level we needed. Didn't he NOT play for 2 years? Covid year and then RS? So, maybe he needs to get reacclimated. But the idea that if he goes to VCU, he's going to be all world against us is hogwash.

Guys, please stop the hand wringing over VCU. Bold prediction - the Spiders have a better record than the Rams next year!

I'm sort of a Mooney agnostic. I don't love him, don't hate him, and have resigned myself to the fact he's probably here for a while. The guy has his faults, but coaching PG's is NOT one of them. Look at the track record there. TBH, what I saw from Jay-Nel this year showed me that perhaps the player was not up to the level we needed. Didn't he NOT play for 2 years? Covid year and then RS? So, maybe he needs to get reacclimated. But the idea that if he goes to VCU, he's going to be all world against us is hogwash.
I get the criticism.....BUT he did have a couple A10 Rookies of the week, and looked pretty good early in the season, then kind of hit a wall and lost some confidence. So yes, I think some pretty nice improvement may be coming 2nd year. So, yes, some handwringing, especially because he is joining four more former top 100 h.s. players - which is really unheard of on an A10 roster. Yes, I value college achievement more, but I believe Billups, Roosevelt, Basimile, and Efton were all legit top 100 prospects. Meanwhile Mooney is in the portal spinning wheels. Only hope we have our sdad's reports on here.

I wouldn't bet too much money on your bold prediction. Depending upon whom Richmond gets in the portal.

Re: Nelson - he isn't going to come in here and tear Richmond up next year. As you stated, he was clearly not up to level last season. He won't be up to what he needs to be next year either, his skills need a lot of work. Will he up his game and be more effective late in his career, maybe, up to him. It isn't going to be anytime soon in my opinion.

Reactions: Spider2020
This AAU reunion at VCU will be an interesting experiment. If it is a no brainer to be successful, why hasn't anyone done it before?

Last edited:
Reactions: PalmTreeSpidUR
This AAU reunion at VCU will be an interesting experiment. If it is a no brainer to be successful, why hasn't anyone done it before?
Odom has entire roster to fill essentially, so he has to cast a wide net and bring in a ton of guys. All of the former local stars, with the exception of Basmille (who has his own issues) didn't exactly live up to their Top 100 statuses, which is probably part of the reason they are looking at coming home.

But yes, it will be interesting, there is certainly talent in this group, so if Odom can pull it all together, he will look like a genius.

Reactions: Spider2020
Probably because there is nothing to really compare it to. Look what had to happen for this to even be a possibility:

1. New coach.
2. Depleted roster.
3. Local guys from the same AAU team all looking for new schools.
4. Guys who averaged 8, 4, 1.2, and 1.2 a game last year, so, not a guarantee they will transfer to P6 school.

I was a big Nelson supporter the first half of last year, and gave him the benefit of the doubt longer than I probably should have, but I don't see him at VCU. I didn't see him getting big minutes here if he stayed, and I don't see it at VCU either. If he goes there, and plays even 20 minutes for them, I don't see how that makes them nearly as good as last year. From Baldwin to Nelson? That's a big drop off.
welp, he went there. THANKS CHRIS!!!!!

Reactions: wr70beh
He's definitely betting on himself here. If he doesn't make it at VCU, where next? It may be more calculated than that - they just lost their all league point guard, and not sure if they have another on the roster? The Michigan transfer I don't think is? Will be interesting who Odom brings in. This thing does have some potential to go south, and the Team loaded parents to revolt. Let's say Odom recruits over Jaynel - and he gets LESS minutes and opportunity than this past season. Let's just imaging that Reid and Wheeler are old school bigs, that are not effective from more than 5 feet from the hoop. One plays, one sits. The tweets start. The losing starts. 2 or 3 of the players leave the team mid season (see Wyoming and its 3 west coast transfers). Probably more plausible that they kick our a$$, but I do see a great great opportunity for some drama on that team. And maybe they don't get along with whoever comes from Utah State.

im slightly mad at Nelson, but this is on Mooney more. I can't blame Nelson for leaving to the superior program but like wtf? Mooney is a joke and this just helps prove that theory
How exactly is this on Coach? Kids are going to do what's best for them and what people in their ears are telling them. That is why it's important to have the right people around you.

im slightly mad at Nelson, but this is on Mooney more. I can't blame Nelson for leaving to the superior program but like wtf? Mooney is a joke and this just helps prove that theory
I hate that he had to leave too. We were too soon to put up the highway sign, now is the time for serious change!!!

Reactions: SpiderK
How exactly is this on Coach? Kids are going to do what's best for them and what people in their ears are telling them. That is why it's important to have the right people around you.
well location wasn't the issue. Mooney didn't use one of our highest rated prospects the right way and then he goes to our rival who's historically has kicked Mooney's ass. Thats why its his fault. Dude is a clown.

Because the buck starts with the coach, that is the price you pay for leadership, get blamed for the failuresand everyone elsetakes credit for successes. That's the breaks.

Last edited:
well location wasn't the issue. Mooney didn't use one of our highest rated prospects the right way and then he goes to our rival who's historically has kicked Mooney's ass. Thats why its his fault. Dude is a clown.
Nelson was given every opportunity. in fact he was handed the keys way too easily. if he left because Dji took his spot or because Smith is a threat, well that's on him and it was deserved.

he didn't play as well as expected. but he was a freshman. sometimes it takes time. sometimes you fight through adversity. but he decided to bail. that's his choice.

Nelson was given every opportunity. in fact he was handed the keys way too easily. if he left because Dji took his spot or because Smith is a threat, well that's on him and it was deserved.

he didn't play as well as expected. but he was a freshman. sometimes it takes time. sometimes you fight through adversity. but he decided to bail. that's his choice.
hes going to score 30 plus against us just watch

Ultimately, as an 804 product myself, seeing 2 of our 3 latest and greatest local guys not thrive and graduate without that University of Richmond degree does not bode well for overall commitment to community. While I think that the percentage of local students who graduate from UR makes a bigger impact on the region than VCU (undergrad, excluding MCV and other grad programs), we're not winning the PR battle on the 64/95 exchange.

If we want to live up to expectations as an elite NATIONAL liberal arts school, then so be it. But you can't deny the hometown heroism that we are sorely lacking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT