ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Nelson Enters Transfer Portal, Commits to VCU

We will find out, based on VCU's track record of hiring coaches, I am guessing he will be able to get the most out of these guys. I will leave the door open that it could fail miserablely too, but would bet they do well.

Meanwhile on the Richmond front.....crickets.
They will start out 6-5 and lose to Presbyterian or some other school and look awful in the non conference. Fans will demand Odoms head on a pike, then go 16-2 in the A10 and make the tourney where they have a first round exit.

Wrong Roosevelt:). But have to give Odom credit, in this portal era it is well worth the attempt to load up on some former top 100 guys and roll the dice. Especially good opportunity to out talent and out athlete a downtrodden A10.

Personally old man Dutcher is kind of ahead of the system. He has had good luck keeping "program" players, guys you have for 3 to 5 years and filling in the holes with real good fits.

Odom is in a rebuild now mode but recruiting the local talent may end up being a genius move.

Hoping we get some good news on the portal front soon.

Reactions: VT4700
Wrong Roosevelt:). But have to give Odom credit, in this portal era it is well worth the attempt to load up on some former top 100 guys and roll the dice. Especially good opportunity to out talent and out athlete a downtrodden A10.

Personally old man Dutcher is kind of ahead of the system. He has had good luck keeping "program" players, guys you have for 3 to 5 years and filling in the holes with real good fits.

Odom is in a rebuild now mode but recruiting the local talent may end up being a genius move.

Hoping we get some good news on the portal front soon.
The only good news that could possibly come out of Richmond is that Hardt and Mooney sailed off into the sunset.

Total genius move. VCU basketball coverage will cover the top half of the front page of the sports section of RTD while now they get half of the top half front page. Meanwhile we will move further back in the sports section when not playing VCU............how far hard to say depending on who are playing...............but you will have to open the sports section even to find the score of our game. Trying not to be overly pessimistic but that is not easy................

They will start out 6-5 and lose to Presbyterian or some other school and look awful in the non conference. Fans will demand Odoms head on a pike, then go 16-2 in the A10 and make the tourney where they have a first round exit.
So not better then team loaded did?

Reactions: Ferrum Spider
So not better then team loaded did?
Team loaded could probably fight for a first round bye in the A10 as bad as it is these days.

If all these guys are coming back together to play, I can see why Nelson would want to transfer across town to play with his AAU buddies. Hard to blame him when our own mega donor tells us to temper our expectations and his hand picked AD is cruising collecting paychecks.

Id be furious at all of these developments if our Athletic Director actually cared.

Last edited:
Team loaded could probably fight for a first round bye in the A10 as bad as it is these days.

If all these guys coming back together to play, I can see why Nelson would want to transfer across town to play with his AAU buddies. Hard to blame him when our own mega donor tells us to temper our expectations and his hand picked AD is cruising collecting paychecks.

Id be furious at all of these developments if our Athletic Director actually cared.
Time for Change!!

Well, pretty much every other starting PG we have had seemed to do just fine, if not outstanding, including one that just played in an NBA game. So, Nelson Sr. blames the system? Couldn't possibly have been the player, right?
I’m no Mooney lover, but this is true. Richmond has had essentially nothing but good PG play for almost the entire Mooney era. KA, Lindsey, Shawndre, and Gilyard all seemed to do fine in the system. I don’t love our system in general but small point guards have performed extremely well in it for the past 15 years, excluding the one who decided to leave

Nelson Sr. said in Ryan Odom's offensive system, he sees a very different approach compared to the Princeton offense at Richmond, one in which Nelson Jr., a "true point guard" could flourish.

"Ryan Odom's system has a little bit more freedom to allow a playmaker to be a playmaker," Nelson Sr. said.

Pretty obvious they are all going to vcu. Meanwhile we just sit here and watch it all happen. The fact that we aren’t even a consideration for Efton Reid is a damn indictment in our program and staff. If there was ever a kid WE should have when he decides to come home and play, it’s him, a West End private school kid. And we’re not even considered at all. Maddening.

Nelson Sr. said in Ryan Odom's offensive system, he sees a very different approach compared to the Princeton offense at Richmond, one in which Nelson Jr., a "true point guard" could flourish.

"Ryan Odom's system has a little bit more freedom to allow a playmaker to be a playmaker," Nelson Sr. said.
I get it…but I will say if we lived in Richmond the entire 18 yrs coach was here…I would know the system I’m committing too. So that’s not on Coach Mooney.

I don't know how folks can keep defending Mooney. Sdad I get for at least one more year. But he is just so behind the times an soooo slow to adapt.
Hopefully this pg transfer comes through but just have a bad feeling that moon is going to get worked in the portal this year.

Reactions: DTSpider
Moon gets worked on most everything. Our MBB program has become a joke....bad joke. 55% is acceptable at our school? Really? Would it be acceptable academically? Absolutely ridiculous. A stain on successive Administrations.

Totally disgusted at my school sad to say. My purse wasn't closed on Giving Day, but could have donated multiple times over. UR you get serious, I'll get serious in donating.

Moon gets worked on most everything. Our MBB program has become a joke....bad joke. 55% is acceptable at our school? Really? Would it be acceptable academically? Absolutely ridiculous. A stain on successive Administrations.

Totally disgusted at my school sad to say. My purse wasn't closed on Giving Day, but could have donated multiple times over. UR you get serious, I'll get serious in donating.
John F. Kennedy once said: “Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country.” js

Greg, I always appreciate your view on things, not to say I always agree. Straight shooter. Always admire that.

last season taught me a lesson about transfers, no matter how flashy they appear to be on paper our coach needs more time than one season allows to make it actually work
I get that, but Mooney is stuck in “whatever”. We keep doing that “whatever” year after year. So maybe the talent we got or get in the portal is sufficient, but plugging them into the “whatever” holes is a failed philosophy of our coaching. I just don’t hang my hat on the more than one season thing to realize payback. It’s more a systemic problem.

I get it…but I will say if we lived in Richmond the entire 18 yrs coach was here…I would know the system I’m committing too. So that’s not on Coach Mooney.

Probably didn’t pay us any attention until later in the recruiting process.

I get it too. Obv u can be very successful as a PG here & get numbers but I wouldn’t say it’s due to lot of playmaking. Follow system, don’t turn it over & be a scorer is more like it. Anderson & Shawndre put up solid assists but others not so much tho idk how compared to other pgs who play heavy mins. We could use more drive & dish mentality but it’s not the offense. Now if u r playing the 5 thats who will get the assists & playmaking to some extent.

I get it too. Obv u can be very successful as a PG here & get numbers but I wouldn’t say it’s due to lot of playmaking. Follow system, don’t turn it over & be a scorer is more like it. Anderson & Shawndre put up solid assists but others not so much tho idk how compared to other pgs who play heavy mins. We could use more drive & dish mentality but it’s not the offense. Now if u r playing the 5 thats who will get the assists & playmaking to some extent.
Gilyard’s freshman year he averaged 4 assists per game. Every year after that he was over 5 per game. Shawndre’s best year was 3.9 assists per game. Anderson’s best year was 3.3 per game. Lindsay’s best year was 4 per game. Nelson last year had 2 per game with 1.8 turnovers per game. (Anderson and Lindsay had years with similarly high TO:AST but also scored more points and shot a higher percentage).

I think Gilyard proved the offense can lead to some at least decent assist numbers. Although I agree that the offense works best when the PG is a scorer (that was evident last year - we went on our run when Gily started putting up 20+ PPG in the tournament)

Honestly thought Nelson was a better scorer than playmaker anyways, though. So wouldn’t that in theory make him a good fit for our offense?

Honestly thought Nelson was a better scorer than playmaker anyways, though. So wouldn’t that in theory make him a good fit for our offense?
No question about it. If he would have shot it better, and not turned it over so much, he would probably still be here, and we would all be excited about our next great PG. Kind of funny to blame that on the system, which seemed to fit him just fine when he was making shots, scoring, and winning A-10 freshman of the week awards.

Gilyard’s freshman year he averaged 4 assists per game. Every year after that he was over 5 per game. Shawndre’s best year was 3.9 assists per game. Anderson’s best year was 3.3 per game. Lindsay’s best year was 4 per game. Nelson last year had 2 per game with 1.8 turnovers per game. (Anderson and Lindsay had years with similarly high TO:AST but also scored more points and shot a higher percentage).

I think Gilyard proved the offense can lead to some at least decent assist numbers. Although I agree that the offense works best when the PG is a scorer (that was evident last year - we went on our run when Gily started putting up 20+ PPG in the tournament)

Thx sorry meant to write Gilyard not Anderson. Too many to think of. Yes Gilly & SJ were our highest assist guys tho not overwhelming. The others felt low but idk how that compares to a heavy load PG in other offenses not URs, I expect low. Assists - often associated w playmaking - r a little harder to come by for our PGs. Last season overall our assist numbers as a team was poor.

For all we know, the family was being polite blaming the system. Would have been easier (and likely more accurate) to say that Nelson just wanted to win & make the NCAAs and they lost confidence Mooney would do that.

I’m just tired of feeling like VCU just routinely owns us. Sure, we beat them in the 2022 A10 tournament but over the last 20 years it’s been a disaster. At the turn of the century we had an advantage in nearly every category and literally did nothing with it.

That Mcmillian dude from Grand Canyon also fits the bill but he was on a visit out west Friday so I doubt it was him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT