ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Nelson Enters Transfer Portal, Commits to VCU

If I knew how to post a pic I would post Dji and coach and they are pretty much even height and Dji is 6’6 buuuuut they still list him as 6’5🤦🏼‍♂️ give us our inch 😂
Didn't you hear Chris wears lifts in his shoes as part of his rehab -- the air is clearer.

Not familiar with this Richmond-area scouting account, but claims Nelson is visiting VCU tomorrow. Obviously a super easy trip for him, so not sure how serious the interest might be on each side.

Will be interesting if he lands at VCU. Their message board was not all that enamored with him, well before he committed to us. Rhoades apparently offered but did not hear much else. Not sure how much Odom emphasizes defense in relation to Rhoades. From the little I observed of him at Utah State, he seemed pretty fiery. Guessing it will be a bit of a less buddy buddy relationship with Mooney, than Rhoades had.

Reactions: PalmTreeSpidUR
I think I read at some past point that CM was 6’8”.

I don't remember that but of course possible it was written somewhere w the height inflation in bball. but iirc from his princeton playing days I think he had some blonde burnt tips at 1 point. JOC put out a pic once too. We need salty Mooney back with hair highlights not Judge Reinhold the pushover Mooney. Anyway I've seen him listed at 6"5 and 6'6". Been next to him a few times and that also aligns with my unscientific estimation.

Reactions: spider23
Not familiar with this Richmond-area scouting account, but claims Nelson is visiting VCU tomorrow. Obviously a super easy trip for him, so not sure how serious the interest might be on each side.

Has anyone seen a list of teams interested? "30+ teams"...."schools continuing to reach out". So, who are they?

Will be interesting if he lands at VCU. Their message board was not all that enamored with him, well before he committed to us. Rhoades apparently offered but did not hear much else. Not sure how much Odom emphasizes defense in relation to Rhoades. From the little I observed of him at Utah State, he seemed pretty fiery. Guessing it will be a bit of a less buddy buddy relationship with Mooney, than Rhoades had.
Unless things change dramatically Odom will be happy to see Mooney on the opposing coach bench. Agree it will be less buddy buddy at the start but after a few games Odom will be all smiles with Mooney while staying fired up at his own players.

As far as Nelson goes, I don't think you even entertain transferring to your biggest rival unless you really want to try to stick it to your old team for some reason.
Agreed, unless he really wants to stay in RVA, but this would really be sticking a finger in the eye, not just of the coaches, but his teammates as well.

If he does transfer to VCU, I'm putting $20 down on him hitting the dagger shot to win one of those games next year. You know that is happening. He will put a 30 burger up on us, or something crazy like that.

I don't remember that but of course possible it was written somewhere w the height inflation in bball. but iirc from his princeton playing days I think he had some blonde burnt tips at 1 point. JOC put out a pic once too. We need salty Mooney back with hair highlights not Judge Reinhold the pushover Mooney. Anyway I've seen him listed at 6"5 and 6'6". Been next to him a few times and that also aligns with my unscientific estimation.
???
???

As far as Nelson goes, I don't think you even entertain transferring to your biggest rival unless you really want to try to stick it to your old team for some reason.
I would have no problem with this at all. He has to do what is best for him. If he thinks VCU is a good fit ( I don't), and he wants to be super close to home, go for it. And, he only played one year for us. It's not like he was a star for 4 years here, and then went to our rival. But, there's no doubt in my mind, VCU, whether they get Nelson or not, will be looking for the next Ace Baldwin, so there's always the risk of limited playing time if he doesn't transfer down.

I certainly don't see him playing for Vandy against SEC guys, so based on high school offers, maybe VCU is his biggest offer. I just don't see him being a huge factor for them, but, if he goes there, time will tell.

Agreed, unless he really wants to stay in RVA, but this would really be sticking a finger in the eye, not just of the coaches, but his teammates as well.

If he does transfer to VCU, I'm putting $20 down on him hitting the dagger shot to win one of those games next year. You know that is happening. He will put a 30 burger up on us, or something crazy like that.

oh yeah, he will have all sorts of motivation to get up for those games.

Odom coming in and doing more on the recruiting trail in 10 minutes than Mooney has done in 18 years. Nelson Sr. effing going right after moon man on the antiquated system. Wow.
Well, pretty much every other starting PG we have had seemed to do just fine, if not outstanding, including one that just played in an NBA game. So, Nelson Sr. blames the system? Couldn't possibly have been the player, right?

Well, pretty much every other starting PG we have had seemed to do just fine, if not outstanding, including one that just played in an NBA game. So, Nelson Sr. blames the system? Couldn't possibly have been the player, right?
Guess it depends on the goal. Not many of our starting PGs played in NCAA tournaments. I get it that Gilly just played in an NBA game but think VCU has the lead there as well.

A few thoughts:
- JayNel is on his way to being the least liked former UR player ever
- This and their other portal pickup is a a good sign that VCU is officially no longer a defense first program - we will still lose to then more often than not, but will give us a better chance

I think Reid and Roosevelt Jones will provide some pretty good defense at the rim.
You mean Roosevelt Wheeler, or is Roosevelt Jones from Butler coming back about 7 years later to play at age 30? 😃

Not sure what to think of Wheeler. Great size, and was a top 100 recruit, but 2 very unproductive years at Louisville, including not playing much for their 4-28 team last year. Not sure about Reid either. I know Gonzaga is a big time program, but less than 5 minutes a game as a sophomore? Their size alone should help them both do better at this level, but I guess we'll see just how much better.

Last edited:
So how would a starting lineup of Nelson, Bamisile, Billups, Wheeler, and Reid do?
Who knows? Except for Bamisile's year for a 12-18 GW team, none of them have ever done anything in college.

Go get em' coach. Maybe we can start up the chili cook-off again. I would suggest vegetarian.

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
We will find out, based on VCU's track record of hiring coaches, I am guessing he will be able to get the most out of these guys. I will leave the door open that it could fail miserablely too, but would bet they do well.

Meanwhile on the Richmond front.....crickets.
All fair points. And, I hope we can get rid of these crickets soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT