ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Nelson Enters Transfer Portal, Commits to VCU

Interesting development, will be very interested to see what level schools on his list - and where he lands. Guessing that Mooney may have indicated he was going after a PG or combo guard in the portal could have pushed him over. Just my guess.

Reactions: VT4700
that's a shame. lot of talent there but he regressed as the season wore on. possibly not a fit for Mooney's system.

I'm hoping Smith is a step up offensively. and in a 2 PG set I like Dji better as the other with his length and defense.

I like Randolph but not as a PG so pretty obvious we need one in the portal. not sure I've seen any that we've been mentioned with to get too excited about though.

Not that there was really any doubt of Branham's tweet, but local media now confirming.

Last edited:
The HMS Mooney is taking on water but the band plays on. Best of luck for Jaynel as to where ever he ends up. He certainly regressed during the year ended up in the Mooney dog house (which was somewhat deserved).

Interesting development, will be very interested to see what level schools on his list - and where he lands. Guessing that Mooney may have indicated he was going after a PG or combo guard in the portal could have pushed him over. Just my guess.
I think this is a reasonable assumption, considering he waited for a month to do this. Jaynel's minutes returned when Mooney left and PT took over and now that Mooney is back, Jaynel might have gotten the memo that they weren't returning next year.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
I think this is a reasonable assumption, considering he waited for a month to do this. Jaynel's minutes returned when Mooney left and PT took over and now that Mooney is back, Jaynel might have gotten the memo that they weren't returning next year.
Can’t say/ won’t say…but this isn’t it. We are going after guards but not the reason.

Whatever the reason sounds like another "transitional year" coming up in Spider land. Guys, we are just going to see how this plays out next year and I guess we will know in March what our expectations should have been. Regardless, it would seem prudent to lower them preemptively, as this is what we have been told.

Going to miss him. Was holding out hope he would turn things around big time next season. Saw flashes. I think his HS to college transition was really impacted by covid as much as anyone could be. HS season was shut down for his senior year I believe, and he had to find another league to play in. Then Gilly has extra covid year which pushes him to redshirt. What could have been. I know there were quite a few on this board that didn't see the potential, so I guess we will see how it plays out elsewhere.

Seemed like a nice kid. Not sure this changes anything though, we already needed better guard play, and the most likely option there was adding a transfer. Will be interesting to see where he ends up - can’t imagine he’ll be able to transfer up, but doesn’t seem like transferring down is a good idea either.

Will be interesting to see where he ends up - can’t imagine he’ll be able to transfer up, but doesn’t seem like transferring down is a good idea either.
bet he transfers up or laterally. there are more schools with needs for incoming transfers than there are high level guys in the portal. he played 27 mpg in the A10. he'll get plenty of calls.

I think if he was hitting the portal from another program we'd be blowing up his phone right now.
someone's going to have an opportunity for him.
Exactly, he would be the exact type of player we would be looking for in the portal. 3 years remaining, small guard that fits Mooney system, didn't work out at previous stop but lots of potential there. And yes, I could see fitting in down at VCU. That would be kind of crazy if that played out that way.

bet he transfers up or laterally. there are more schools with needs for incoming transfers than there are high level guys in the portal. he played 27 mpg in the A10. he'll get plenty of calls.
His statement thanks coaches for the opportunity at “their” university

Reactions: nathanw19
Assuming Tyler moves on and Crabtree doesn't change his mind, this now leaves us with 4 open scholarships for '23-'24, correct? That's a lot of roster space. Have to think we're getting at least two, probably 3 players from the portal. We only have one open offer for a current HS senior. Should be a crazy offseason.

This doesn't surprise me. I don't think the minutes were going to be there for him. I was hoping he could backup either Smith or a transfer PG and improve his game, but I certainly get him wanting to move on after going from a lot of minutes early last season to being a big question mark at the end. I wish him the best.

I think if he was hitting the portal from another program we'd be blowing up his phone right now.
someone's going to have an opportunity for him.
I don't think we would. 30.8% from 3 and nearly as many turnovers as assists doesn't seem that attractive to me. I was high on him early, but as more games went by, I just didn't see a high minute player at this level.

Not shocked by this, unfortunately. I think the system didn't do him any favors, and he obviously struggled in his own right at times. I'm sure he will have a solid career wherever he goes, though.
Will be interesting to see where he lands and what he achieves in the next few years. Could be what we saw is it, or maybe over time and in another system he thrives. Hope it’s not a lost opportunity cost for us.

Last edited:
I don't think we would. 30.8% from 3 and nearly as many turnovers as assists doesn't seem that attractive to me. I was high on him early, but as more games went by, I just didn't see a high minute player at this level.
look at the PGs on MD's list. how many played at an A10 level program with better stats?
add that's he's from VA and that he has 3 years left.

Surprised but can see what Nelson’s thinking and not the least surprised with that. Completely agree with 4700s view. Say Smith is the real deal as a 2 or surprises as a sufficient scoring PG. The latter gives JayNel 10 minutes a game.

If Smith turns out to be a good scoring 2, do we really think Mooney should continue with two pint-size guards playing together getting plenty of minutes? I don’t! JayNel had issues guarding people. Smith might be able to guard people, but his size is still a deterrent. Good luck JayNel finding a good fit!

Good luck to Nelson at his next stop. Maybe he'll be able to take his game to the next level.

Our top two players last year were Burton followed by Quinn. I had high hopes for Nelson, but admit I was somewhat pleased to see him move on. I think only Burton, Quinn, Roche, or Bigelow leaving would bother me at this point. I think Burton is the only real risk there.

We need
1) Burton to stay
2) above-average A10 PG in Smith or portal
3) one more quality starter in the 6-5"+ range from portal
4) Mooney to coach differently

That is a tall order, but for now I hold out hope a good season next year is still possible.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
I'm not shocked given how year played out. I mentioned to ppl offline during season I saw him or dji going. w nelson to me there were signs of frustration and unfortunately some lack of effort. former is understandable and the latter is teachable if the staff is on it. then the JOC article the other week was a typical JOC foreshadowing move. hopefully it also means we have a good guard about to commit.

I agree there is talent there. It didn't click this past season for Jaynel or the team but like sman said presumably he'd improve and we'd reap those benefits later. Honestly he's probably the most talented guy we've recruited out of HS since Burton. But that may be a reflection of Mooney. Our hs recruiting has been awful recently, who is making a big impact. That said I still wish we signed another out of HS for 23-24 u still gotta hit on those guys and heck we almost have to be due. Some said no u can't oversign and here we r with as many as 4 open ships.

As much as I liked Jaynel and was hopeful for future seasons, I do think he had some limitations on D. Really think we need to emphasize that side of the ball more. The one game I saw in person (syracuse), could see him get lulled to sleep by Girardi and then he would shoot right over him or make a play. I do think his upside is on the offensive side, and was going to have some defensive limitations. Whether or not Dji can give us what we need on O, I do think he gives us some really good D at either guard spot.

Good luck to Nelson at his next stop. Maybe he'll be able to take his game to the next level.

Our top two players last year were Burton followed by Quinn. I had high hopes for Nelson, but admit I was somewhat pleased to see him move on. I think only Burton, Quinn, Roche, or Bigelow leaving would bother me at this point. I think Burton is the only real risk there.

We need
1) Burton to stay
2) above-average A10 PG in Smith or portal
3) one more quality starter in the 6-5"+ range from portal
4) Mooney to coach differently

That is a tall order, but for now I hold out hope a good season next year is still possible.
#4 Seems like the least likely to happen...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT