ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Nelson Enters Transfer Portal, Commits to VCU

Let's just imaging that Reid and Wheeler are old school bigs, that are not effective from more than 5 feet from the hoop. One plays, one sits.
pretty sure they are old school bigs, but you still play them together a lot if they're as talented as their earlier rankings. dominate the boards and the blocks. find shooters to put out there with them.

if they do play them together, we're suddenly looking really light in the shorts inside.

Nelson was given every opportunity. in fact he was handed the keys way too easily. if he left because Dji took his spot or because Smith is a threat, well that's on him and it was deserved.

he didn't play as well as expected. but he was a freshman. sometimes it takes time. sometimes you fight through adversity. but he decided to bail. that's his choice.
This last part is spot on. I'm not going to say what I know on why Jaynel left...but in todays game so many kids leave at the slightest bit of adversity. Man have we been frustrated...yes, absolutely, was that a thought, yes. But we let Dji make his decisions BUT we also give input and have him talk to trusted people that have been around the game and put our faith in God! As a father I just can't teach my children to cut and run at the slightest bit of struggle! Everyone's situation is different for sure, but whether this fits Jaynels situation or not too many players cut and run too early, at least for me. I wish him all the best as him and Dji are super close. I want to be able to talk smack to him when I see him after we whoop them! 🕷️🏀

This last part is spot on. I'm not going to say what I know on why Jaynel left...but in todays game so many kids leave at the slightest bit of adversity. Man have we been frustrated...yes, absolutely, was that a thought, yes. But we let Dji make his decisions BUT we also give input and have him talk to trusted people that have been around the game and put our faith in God! As a father I just can't teach my children to cut and run at the slightest bit of struggle! Everyone's situation is different for sure, but whether this fits Jaynels situation or not too many players cut and run too early, at least for me. I wish him all the best as him and Dji are super close. I want to be able to talk smack to him when I see him after we whoop them! 🕷️🏀
That’s what I’m talking about!

I wish him the best of health and limited success. There's going to be a lot of hangers on around VCU this year telling this group how good they are, hope that blows right up in their faces. VCU has hung their hat for a long time on grit, hard work, and defending like their shorts were on fire ... this isn't that anymore.

And this is the downfall of the portal. Yes, some kids leave because of a conflict, not enough PT, not a good fit but I think a lot of these very young men are leaving because they are facing adversity for possibly the very first time in their life and instead of meeting it head on and growing from it, they just run away. College is about learning some of these tough life lessons.

Cut and running isn't going to serve you well long term. Perhaps, this lesson will be learned at a later point in life, perhaps it will never be learned.

I wish him the best of health and limited success. There's going to be a lot of hangers on around VCU this year telling this group how good they are, hope that blows right up in their faces. VCU has hung their hat for a long time on grit, hard work, and defending like their shorts were on fire ... this isn't that anymore.
I was the first to jump on the Odom one upped Mooney right away band wagon. And he very well may have. But still think this has some opportunity to blow up. I do think Odom is a good coach and will succeed, but I don't know what his culture and identity is or has been at previous stops. It's not havoc. Soo, he is basically bringing in a former HS/AAU all star team and looking to impose his culture.

Still not sure what our culture has been other than poor shooting, rebounding and mediocrity lately.

I was the first to jump on the Odom one upped Mooney right away band wagon. And he very well may have. But still think this has some opportunity to blow up. I do think Odom is a good coach and will succeed, but I don't know what his culture and identity is or has been at previous stops. It's not havoc. Soo, he is basically bringing in a former HS/AAU all star team and looking to impose his culture.

Still not sure what our culture has been other than poor shooting, rebounding and mediocrity lately.
We don't have a culture. Zero identity, zero expectations, zero pressure.

you only get one shot to play college ball. you want to be happy. if you're in the wrong place, I have no problem in a guy trying to find the right place.

but if you've been at UR for 2 years and don't have a dislike for VCU, then I don't understand you as a competitor. and vice versa.

I personally couldn't go to a rival though. I can't see TJ or SDJ or others even considering it.

• board patriarch spider fan called this from the get go
  • ultimately he transferred up, not in league and VCU has many spots to fill, but they are above us
  • Not a fan of the portal craziness or pay to play NIL but 1 thing that is better, he can transfer where he wants, no more blocking of schools like old days
  • Idk but think he always wanted to be at VCU but maybe he didn't have a firm offer from Rhoades. The stuff coming out of his family this week feels like VCU was his dream spot. Combine that w a frustrating year at UR
  • He struggled but presumably he would improve w 3 years eligibility. That is TBD. & while we watched him more closely a number of non UR or non VCU ppl think he's an awesome get
  • JOC does need a follow up now with Mooney comments now that he's decided on VCU. Given the unprecedented nature of this move u can't just ignore imo, should be addressed by Mooney via JOC that is just media 101
  • Ultimately it adds to the rivalry unless they keep punking us by double digits, he should get to choose as I mentioned, but I wonder what his former teammates think. I'm sure they wish him well but that's also human nature to take a little personally

He's definitely betting on himself here. If he doesn't make it at VCU, where next? It may be more calculated than that - they just lost their all league point guard, and not sure if they have another on the roster? The Michigan transfer I don't think is? Will be interesting who Odom brings in. This thing does have some potential to go south, and the Team loaded parents to revolt. Let's say Odom recruits over Jaynel - and he gets LESS minutes and opportunity than this past season. Let's just imaging that Reid and Wheeler are old school bigs, that are not effective from more than 5 feet from the hoop. One plays, one sits. The tweets start. The losing starts. 2 or 3 of the players leave the team mid season (see Wyoming and its 3 west coast transfers). Probably more plausible that they kick our a$$, but I do see a great great opportunity for some drama on that team. And maybe they don't get along with whoever comes from Utah State.

Don't want to get into the whole discussion, but will point out that players will not be able to just transfer anytime they want anymore. The NCAA issued guidance in March that stated that a player will have ONE free transfer. After that they will have to sit a year. It will be like the old days on the second or subsequent transfer. There is the possibility of the NCAA issuing a waver, but they claim they are going to tighten up on those. I think this is the first step of the NCAA in trying to take back a bit of control.

So, some of those guys that have jump from school to school the last couple years can't do it anymore. With three years of eligibility left, Nelson would have to sit a year if he leaves VCU, and that would cost him a year of eligibility. Most players won't give up that year, unless they are in a really bad position.

Will he play much? Who knows. But if what we are hearing is coming, actually does come (it is not all out yet), VCU will be just fine.

Reactions: WCUR11
He's definitely betting on himself here. If he doesn't make it at VCU, where next? It may be more calculated than that - they just lost their all league point guard, and not sure if they have another on the roster? The Michigan transfer I don't think is? Will be interesting who Odom brings in. This thing does have some potential to go south, and the Team loaded parents to revolt. Let's say Odom recruits over Jaynel - and he gets LESS minutes and opportunity than this past season. Let's just imaging that Reid and Wheeler are old school bigs, that are not effective from more than 5 feet from the hoop. One plays, one sits. The tweets start. The losing starts. 2 or 3 of the players leave the team mid season (see Wyoming and its 3 west coast transfers). Probably more plausible that they kick our a$$, but I do see a great great opportunity for some drama on that team. And maybe they don't get along with whoever comes from Utah State.
Time will tell, but I'd lean more towards this experiment failing than I would to it producing a sweet 16 in the next couple years.

I can understand the excitement on VCU's end - I'd probably be excited under similar circumstances here.

But as 4700 pointed out, they're looking at adding 4 core guys to build their team around that averaged a collective 15 +/- ppg last year. They're asking for a ton to go right next year to flip the switch and be in high school mode again.

I don't blame Nelson. UR doesn't value winning. They are perfectly happy being the second class A10 school in Richmond with a tenured coach who is at best average. Sadly, I guess I just don't care that much anymore. 5 years ago I would have been pissed, but not anymore. Oh well...

but if you've been at UR for 2 years and don't have a dislike for VCU, then I don't understand you as a competitor. and vice versa.

I personally couldn't go to a rival though. I can't see TJ or SDJ or others even considering it.
I feel the same way about this, 100%. And at the same time, I'm equally pissed that we have a culture in place that allowed this to happen. It smells bad all around.

Spot on 23. I suspect that they will struggle to determine how they find success as a team. Is Odum going to make them conform to a knew system, or will he try to change himself to conform to new players? I see potential for conflict and struggle either way.

Though they may be very good players, none of the HS/AAU combo coming to VCU have had much success yet at the college level. It is unrealistic to expect them all to explode onto the stage next year and win the A-10 title. If they do, Odum is Coach of the Year, no question.

If this experiment works, I suspect that it will likely be in year 2 or more likely year 3. I do think that Odum has already whipped Mooney on the ass by locking down Richmond city recruiting. That doesn't bode well for future.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Yea I'm kind of with 23 here. Its a nice sugar rush for their fan base and if Jaynel managed to convince all them to transfer here we would be over the Moon(ey), but I wouldn't be hedging my bets on them having a better season than this previous one just yet if he's the starter. Could very well not matter with all the resources they have and just out-talent there way through the A10, but they have work to do outside of the major PR wins they're racking up right now.

I also don't think its nearly as personal with Jaynel to go there to stick it to us outside of being a competitor. Its very obvious he's a kid who prefers to be in his hometown, and I can't fault him for that.
Hopefully Smith comes in and looks the part, and we can land the Lehigh and VT kids. If Burton comes back, I would say roster is improved, just need Mooney to deliver the goods.

Well I don't want to be mean to a former player who seems like a good kid.... but I think we should be happy about this pickup for VCU because I would have expected them to land someone better. I had high hopes for Jason Nelson, but he did not get it done in a system where similar sized guards have excelled.

If this experiment works, I suspect that it will likely be in year 2 or more likely year 3.
eh, I haven't followed exactly what they lost but it looks like they're pulling in a ton of talent this week. I'm not writing off Reid or Wheeler just because they didn't light it up at Louisville or LSU/Gonzaga. those are high level basketball players and not high school kids either.

Odom will have 6 months plus to get them playing as a team. Jimmys and Joes beat X's and O's anyway. this is basketball, not rocket science. VCU is putting together a strong roster. they're going to be a problem.
again.

Don't want to get into the whole discussion, but will point out that players will not be able to just transfer anytime they want anymore. The NCAA issued guidance in March that stated that a player will have ONE free transfer. After that they will have to sit a year. It will be like the old days on the second or subsequent transfer. There is the possibility of the NCAA issuing a waver, but they claim they are going to tighten up on those. I think this is the first step of the NCAA in trying to take back a bit of control.

So, some of those guys that have jump from school to school the last couple years can't do it anymore. With three years of eligibility left, Nelson would have to sit a year if he leaves VCU, and that would cost him a year of eligibility. Most players won't give up that year, unless they are in a really bad position.

Will he play much? Who knows. But if what we are hearing is coming, actually does come (it is not all out yet), VCU will be just fine.
So I assume this means you expect Bamisile to have to sit this year, since he's never had to sit before?

I do think that Odum has already whipped Mooney on the ass by locking down Richmond city recruiting. That doesn't bode well for future.
That is oh so disappointing when you consider the length of Mooney's tenure. Don't know how it will work out with these HS stars getting to the next level? Not even knowing a few of the guys he got, get we all agree that VCU after losing their entire team is still more ATHLETIC than us.

The only good I see out of this is could be the start of the end of Mooney as Spider coach. Say Odom who many craved to come here now leads the hated rival in continuing to dominate the city battle. We all thought Schmidt did a good job leading Bonny to a sub .500 record. What if Odom finishes 1 or 2 in the A10?

Hey @VT4700, give me an A-F update on Odom's recruiting grade? No worries, you think Chris will outcoach him from the tap to the final buzzer?

it's been a discussion point here already. But u guys r taking 2 of those guys - bamisile and possibly Efton Reid.

Nelson could claim mental health reasons just as easy if he ever left again. Let's see what the NCAA does first. I think most of us r skeptical they'll take a hard line. I realize little harder to claim mental health if u r leaving home vs. coming back home like a Bamisile or Reid but it's rather vague. I mean u could say being at home is too much pressure too many hanger ons and it screws u up mentally. Believe me some doctor out there would diagnose it.

But yeah I don't see it applying to Nelson anyway. IF...IF..he ever wanted to transfer again he could still do it as a grad transfer since he'll likely be a grad after 4 years total, his 2nd season at VCU, and he'd have that option. So really a moot point for him imo.

Not to give to douse your dreams, maybe it was a bad fit, but we handed the keys of our offense to Nelson after his redshirt year and he couldn't handle it. Got benched, only reason he came back into the rotation was due to injury.

So, yes, he has some offensive gifts that is undeniable. But he was mentally broken last year and he was straight out liability on defense. Teams would run plays to get their best scorer on Nelson to take advantage of that. Odom has a lot of fixing to do, if you think he is going to be your next really good PG.

And I think the same applies to your other potential targets, tremendous high school pedigrees that haven't as of yet translated to the college court.

So I assume this means you expect Bamisile to have to sit this year, since he's never had to sit before?

Maybe both him and Reid, if Reid does come. But they can apply for a waiver. Coming closer to home has been something they have accepted as a valid reason in the past. But I read the rule, they SAY they are going to be tougher. So, we will see.

Lots more to come, so we should have plenty of players to pick from. Still have not heard from Reid for sure, two guys from Utah St., and hearing a couple players from overseas. Got to hand it to Odom, he is everywhere.

Not to give to douse your dreams, maybe it was a bad fit, but we handed the keys of our offense to Nelson after his redshirt year and he couldn't handle it. Got benched, only reason he came back into the rotation was due to injury.

So, yes, he has some offensive gifts that is undeniable. But he was mentally broken last year and he was straight out liability on defense. Teams would run plays to get their best scorer on Nelson to take advantage of that. Odom has a lot of fixing to do, if you think he is going to be your next really good PG.

And I think the same applies to your other potential targets, tremendous high school pedigrees that haven't as of yet translated to the college court.

Well, we do get 13 scholarship players, and we have Zeb, who was top 100 out of high school. Who is to say who else can play point? We have had good luck at the position over the years. Let's see who Odom finds.

And that's what I believe makes Odom's job harder than what Schmidt did at Bonny. Of course they finished below .500 but I think most here thought he did abetter than average coaching job at Bonny.. So what if do we say about Odom if he turns these UNPROVEN talented players into a successful top 2-3 A10 team next season especially considering that didn't happen at their previous schools?

Oh no now Rick is going to tell us how he saw all those games at the Robins Center in person. Except for the games he sold on some crazy technology called the 'secondary market'!!

Nelson was bad on D. 100% agree. But he'll get coached up. Obviously they see something in him. Overall really hard to to not give Odom or VCU credit. Counting on VCU to fail has not worked on here for 20 years. There is a possibility it doesn't work but small.

Also see example for an outsider view who I think has a pretty reasonable rep...

For me, if he wants to be at VcU so be it. Kids should be allowed to go where they want to play, if they find their situation not ideal.

I’m not sweating it too much bc he just wasn’t very good last year. As mentioned, he was a net negative on the court the 2nd half of last year: turnover machine, inefficient, and toasted on defense. He quite literally threw the season away on the final sequence against the GooMoos in the A10 tournament. Despite UR really offering him shots and seeing tons of the ball, he couldn’t translate that last year at the A10 level.

Will he be a better shooter, passer and commit fewer turnovers in the future? Maybe.

Will he still be short and (IMO) without an explosive first step? Yes.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT