ADVERTISEMENT

Around the A10

That will be a tough scrimmage, UVA is very tough under Bennett on D, looked up and one ranking service had them 5th in defensive efficiency last season - and they seem to be consistent on this side of the ball. May not do wonders for our offense since the players and coaches have all kind of hinted it will take a little time to figure out offensive roles with the loss of TJ and SDJ. This should be an excellent test and preparation for the season. We seem to scrimmage an ACC team a bit, I feel like NC State a couple times recently.

Ulla, in this case the less stars the better. If Pomeroy's prediction is partially based on Golden being a 2 instead of a 3 then more room for an upside surprise.

I feel like some of the political news reporting has creeped into sports reporting.
This reporter from SI, seems to give Buc much credit and Grant isn't even mentioned.
But, like someone said, it will be a hell of a conference if we're an 8th place team.

Regardless of the stars (which are often wrong) our 3-man 2016 recruiting group of Buck (3), Nick (3), and Grant (2) will likely go down as one of our best ever, and possibly as one of the best the A-10 has seen.

Just re-checked the visit and commitment dates for our 5 recruits from last fall (2017 group), as a way to see what our "typical" timing may be. Looks like only AJ (Phoenix) Ford committed later than October 23rd. All this tells me is that we usually have our commitments completed by now.

Hope our visitor from this past weekend may be making a commitment to become a Spider within the next 2-8 days (which is typical post-visit timing)....It would be nice to be able to focus our coaching staff's full attention on preparing the team for the upcoming promising season..

Even mostly with him, they still couldn't even beat Nevada. Coupled with Bona's loss at home to Niagara, the league is off to a scintillating start. This is why I was confident that we would have a great chance to be a top-4 seed again – there is no super dominant team.

Even mostly with him, they still couldn't even beat Nevada. Coupled with Bona's loss at home to Niagara, the league is off to a scintillating start. This is why I was confident that we would have a great chance to be a top-4 seed again – there is no super dominant team.

St. Joes with a bad early loss too, they were supposed to be good with a bunch of players coming back from injuries. A dark year for the A10 so far, may seriously be a 1 bid league.

St. Joes with a bad early loss too, they were supposed to be good with a bunch of players coming back from injuries. A dark year for the A10 so far, may seriously be a 1 bid league.
St Joe's did pull off 1 win. But now may be without Brown or Kimble...

Jaylen Adams missed the Bonnie's first game with an ankle injury.

Yeah, but if they are the best team in the league, they still should be beating Niagara at home.

League always seems to have these injuries like those to Fore, Adams and Mathews. Hurts the OOC, but then they’re back for the conference wars.

Bonnie’s were projected top 4, but not the best team - definitely Rhody. Nevada was favored in that game last night.

Agree though, not a good start for the league as a whole!

Kimble out for the season. He missed the last seven games last year with the same injury.

A-10 went 1-3 today. Dayton beat Ohio, Slu, Fordham, and VCU were handily beaten.

They were decently close scorewise but the outcome of that game was never in doubt. UVA outclassed them throughout. Guy is a phenomenal shooter.

They were decently close scorewise but the outcome of that game was never in doubt. UVA outclassed them throughout. Guy is a phenomenal shooter.
Yes, Guy was amazing. If Jack Salt can contribute at all, UVA will be tough all year.

Xavier and Temple in top 10. Losing those two killed the A-10. On the bright side, with Richmond at 343 means that everyone we play will improve our ranking. Tie for 347 is the bottom.

Was proud of our effort against a fundamentally strong UVA squad. It took a career high from Guy to beat us. 3 point game with 2 minutes left, we had our chance, but they closed it out like good teams do.

I came away encouraged with what we can gel into.

BRUTAL upcoming schedule though.....

8 straight top 100 or better type games starting with Marquette on Monday.

Reactions: Ram Bal
We will have a better picture of the A-10 after we both play ODU & Bucknell.

Reactions: MrVCU:
Xavier and Temple in top 10. Losing those two killed the A-10. On the bright side, with Richmond at 343 means that everyone we play will improve our ranking. Tie for 347 is the bottom.
The A10 is the new CAA; losing Temple and Xavier, then after a brief moment, Butler, greatly downgraded the conference.

Reactions: SpiderK
Was proud of our effort against a fundamentally strong UVA squad. It took a career high from Guy to beat us. 3 point game with 2 minutes left, we had our chance, but they closed it out like good teams do.

I came away encouraged with what we can gel into.

BRUTAL upcoming schedule though.....

8 straight top 100 or better type games starting with Marquette on Monday.
Not to burst your bubble but UVA will struggle this year in the ACC. As always defense is their strength but not up to speed and scoring it always a challenge. Guy carried the game, Rams had their chances but UVA will struggle top 50 team.

I will say that watching the VCU-UVA game, I was very very impressed with the Rams ability to field some of the fattest fans on earth. This may be why they don't have quite the yellow sweater crowd. I was thinking maybe they were super imposing fan boy throughout the crowd, but then they showed him in a different section. Here is one such fan, not hornboy:

For those following, we are now #347 after an idle weekend. Only one way to go from here (unless Incarnate Word or Longwood passes us).

Interesting to see the Bonnies right with us at #341.

*I realize RPI means very little through 2 games

ESPN's BPI somehow ranks us 151 at 0-2, while it has Delaware 287 at 2-1. Seems totally logical.

I would not put that much stock in analytical ratings for another week or so, especially for our team. They all factor in preseason ratings to various degrees for the first month or so due to lack of data at the beginning of the season. We were in the 100-140 range in most preseason predictions which will keep our ratings artificially better than they should be until the preseason ratings are no longer factored in (around the beginning of December usually).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT