ADVERTISEMENT

How high is Dji Bailey's ceiling?

I get the whole concept guys and how he set up the article…but there are way too many instances where he is throwing shade…players aren’t fond of it either. The TB article was way out of pocket. He got paid major major money…of course TB made the right decision. His tweets are always shady too. I just don’t like the guy and think he could be way more positive than he is.
Well, I think many of us feel he could be way more investigative than he is. JOC is not on UR's payroll, so I don't think JOC is being paid to be positive or to be UR's cheerleader. He is being paid by the RTD to be our beat reporter, reporting the good, the bad and the ugly about UR athletics.

I get from a parent's perspective though, how he could be irritating.

Somewhat back on topic, I loved seeing Dji dunk on Saturday. I have been watching UR games since when the home games were in the Arena, and I don't recall any Spiders having 4 dunks in a game. Could be a function of my age and memory, but does anyone remember another Spider player having 4 or more dunks in a game? I would think the majority of the games I have watched over 60 years there were zero Spider dunks, and for a while dunking in games was not allowed.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Somewhat back on topic, I loved seeing Dji dunk on Saturday. I have been watching UR games since when the home games were in the Arena, and I don't recall any Spiders having 4 dunks in a game. Could be a function of my age and memory, but does anyone remember another Spider player having 4 or more dunks in a game? I would think the majority of the games I have watched over 60 years there were zero Spider dunks, and for a while dunking in games was not allowed.
I think Coach said Kevin Smith had 4 in conf tourney.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
as much as the RTD has cut back on staff over the past several years and this guy still has a job somehow
not surprised opinions are mixed on JOC...however with the dire straights newspapers find themselves in these days, including the Times-Dispatch, if we didn't have JOC we probably wouldn't have a beat writer...I like having a beat writer...lot's of JOC's stories are plain vanilla, but some are informative and entertaining...it's a mixed bag!

Go Spiders!

not surprised opinions are mixed on JOC...however with the dire straights newspapers find themselves in these days, including the Times-Dispatch, if we didn't have JOC we probably wouldn't have a beat writer...I like having a beat writer...lot's of JOC's stories are plain vanilla, but some are informative and entertaining...it's a mixed bag!

Go Spiders!

True should be grateful we have beat writer. I don’t think JOC has ever been exactly hard hitting when it comes to coaches and press conferences etc. but he still has great sources. He’s broken a lot of UR stories over the years.

as much as the RTD has cut back on staff over the past several years and this guy still has a job somehow

Go Spiders!
Agree with both takes. JOC is not the best but yet we are fortunate that the RTD still employs someone who has a job to cover UR athletics. If and when that ends, we will lose probably are one legit media outlet covering our programs. Everything will either be in house or some keyboard warrior with a social media account.

Agree with both takes. JOC is not the best but yet we are fortunate that the RTD still employs someone who has a job to cover UR athletics. If and when that ends, we will lose probably are one legit media outlet covering our programs. Everything will either be in house or some keyboard warrior with a social media account.
yep, I don't agree with the guy all the time but having a dedicated beat writer is something we probably won't fully appreciate until it is gone.

Congratulations to Dji on winning The Most Improved Player of The year. This is a big honor.

He and his dad might be disappointed in not making the all-Defense team, which he deserved, but these awards are subjective and it takes time to build a reputation in the league

Winning the award gives him a lot of credibility in the A10 heading into next year, which will lead to multiple awards and set him up nicely for a pro career after U of R. I expect him to be selected to one of the preseason all A10 teams and which team he is selected for at the end of the season will depend on how much he improves his free throw and 3 point shooting during the off season. I also think he is a lock for all defense team next year.

If he does make big strides in free throw and outside shooting the shy is the limit for him. I am very happy to see the success he is having and look forward to watching him next year and wherever his pro career takes him. I also hope his dad stays on this board after his son graduates.

Congratulations to Dji on winning The Most Improved Player of The year. This is a big honor.

He and his dad might be disappointed in not making the all-Defense team, which he deserved, but these awards are subjective and it takes time to build a reputation in the league

Winning the award gives him a lot of credibility in the A10 heading into next year, which will lead to multiple awards and set him up nicely for a pro career after U of R. I expect him to be selected to one of the preseason all A10 teams and which team he is selected for at the end of the season will depend on how much he improves his free throw and 3 point shooting during the off season. I also think he is a lock for all defense team next year.

If he does make big strides in free throw and outside shooting the shy is the limit for him. I am very happy to see the success he is having and look forward to watching him next year and wherever his pro career takes him. I also hope his dad stays on this board after his son graduates.
Appreciate the kind words. Lots of work left to do this year but love this team and the Spiders. 🙌🏼❤️

Congratulations to Dji on the most-improved award. I think he's definitely improved, but I think it's more about just staying healthy to finally show what most of us always thought he could do (but they don't have a "finally healthy for a full season" award). We've loved seeing your growth and can't wait to see what you do in the tourney and beyond into next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT