ADVERTISEMENT

How high is Dji Bailey's ceiling?

UR80sfan

Star
Jan 28, 2018
Dji is having an absolutely terrific year both on offense and defense and seems to be improving throughout the season, with his best game yesterday. With that said, I don’t think his reputation throughout the A10 is at the level of how well he is playing. This is primarily due to the huge improvement in his stats he has made since last year and the fact that he shares the floor with 4 other outstanding players, including a potential A10 player of the year.

However, I think the ceiling for Dji is very high, and I expect his reputation in the league will continue to improve throughout the rest of the season. With King, Quinn, and Bigelow moving on at the end of the season, I expect Dji to be selected to one of the preseason all A10 teams. I also expect him to evolve from an outstanding role player this year to potentially “The Man” next year. Looking further out, I believe he will have a very successful pro career.

Dji has demonstrated loyalty to the program, tried to excel at every role he has been assigned, worked hard, never gave up, and most importantly, is on the verge of succeeding well above all our expectations.

Dji is having an absolutely terrific year both on offense and defense and seems to be improving throughout the season, with his best game yesterday. With that said, I don’t think his reputation throughout the A10 is at the level of how well he is playing. This is primarily due to the huge improvement in his stats he has made since last year and the fact that he shares the floor with 4 other outstanding players, including a potential A10 player of the year.

However, I think the ceiling for Dji is very high, and I expect his reputation in the league will continue to improve throughout the rest of the season. With King, Quinn, and Bigelow moving on at the end of the season, I expect Dji to be selected to one of the preseason all A10 teams. I also expect him to evolve from an outstanding role player this year to potentially “The Man” next year. Looking further out, I believe he will have a very successful pro career.

Dji has demonstrated loyalty to the program, tried to excel at every role he has been assigned, worked hard, never gave up, and most importantly, is on the verge of succeeding well above all our expectations.
Great post - in all seriousness, Dji is our best and latest example of why committing to a program like UR can produce great results even thru injuries, quick pulls early on, less minutes than desired

I think what I am most impressed with Dji this year is his athleticism, I had not noticed just how athletic he is in his limited time in the past. He can guard an opponent's point guard, but also battle for rebounds with the big guys. He's got an explosive first step to the basket, and can sky for dunks. Its easy to overlook his quickness and athleticism because he's so smooth and always under control. He's been terrific this year and looking forward to what he does the rest of the season!

I really love Dji’s game too.

Easiest way to explain his game in two points: (1) he has a smoothness to his offensive skill that is hard to teach, (2) he plays real defense, always keeping his man in front of him on dribble penetration (it’s like the anti-Burton) and has a beat on the next pass (his steals are more from his anticipation than his quick hands).

And he better stay at Richmond.

Love that he maintains his dribble even as he drives and defender blocks the path. Rarely gets stuck in a spot that leads to limited options and has done an excellent job eliminating turnovers.

Shoot as many jumpers as possible in offseason. Break the current form and start fresh. Steph Curry summer of tears style. Nate Cayo was able to do it in the pros, Dji can do it while still in college. Would raise his pro ceiling appreciably.

His ceiling is as high as he deems it to be IF he is willing to work hard and pay the price.

1. Ability to finish creatively and use the rim as a protector by going reverse is very good and very unique.
2. As much as we (and his dad I think) want him to be more aggressive on offense sometimes, I think he is also very good at "letting the game come to him" and "taking what the defense gives him". He has been really good glue guy, filling in where needed based on team on the floor.
3. Agree with Sman and Bstone, next level for him is to become a consistent shot maker on the perimeter. Get better shooting, quicker catch and shoot and off the dribble. I know it is taboo now - I think with his size a length, he could be great in the mid range. I know its a NO NO now, but if you can get the 12 footer down like a layup percentage it is a great tool. Kawhi Leonard has this and enabled him to win MVP and play at MVP level this season. Curtis Blair at Richmond was unstoppable for short pull up, and my guy MJ feasted on the mid range. But that is another discussion.
4. Keep playing great defense.

Checking out the A10 stats leaders this morning - Dji is currently #2 in the conference in shooting % (61%) and #3 in total steals (42 this season at almost 2 per game). He's contributing in so many ways on both ends of the court, many that never show up on the stat sheet - tipped passes, denials, altered shots, helping beat the press, etc. Echoing others here it's so awesome to see what he can do when healthy and I can't wait to see how high he can elevate his game.

Does anybody (SF maybe) know if anybody has ever had as efficient a scoring game as Dji did against LaSalle? 22 points on 7 shot attempts is an absurdly incredible stat
By this metric, you just look for players who take a lot of free throws. Kylen Milton of Arkansas Pine Bluff scored 34 points off 10 shots (and 20 free throws) earlier this year by that metric.

Yeah, High Point's Kezza Giffa had 26 points on 7 shots (only 2 makes but 22-for-24 from the line) against Longwood earlier this year. He had another game with 24 on 7 shots (11-for-11 from the line).

SIU's Xavier Johnson had 16 on just 4 shots against Southern Indiana (3-for-3 from deep and 7-for-8 from the line).

Reactions: urfan1
Just realizing I didn’t clarify but intended that to be players in Richmond history. I’m sure there have been but I can’t remember one

Reactions: gospidersgo
efficiency has to take into account foul shots. those are possessions just like a shot from the floor.
TS% (True Shooting Percentage) is the best efficiency methodology.

efficiency has to take into account foul shots. those are possessions just like a shot from the floor.
TS% (True Shooting Percentage) is the best efficiency methodology.
yes, which is why I sometimes harp (a little too much I know) on the announcers' desires to constantly post Neal up and get him 12-15 shots per game. It's too many. His TS% is 53%. Dji is at 62% and Jordan is at 61% (on very high volume.) Bigs is at 58%, Delonnie at 53%.

Jordan should get more shots, Dji should keep doing what he's doing and look for his own offense a bit more, and Neal should get about 8 shots per game, 1-2 more if he's getting to the line and playing aggressively. Bigs and Delonnie are about right given their TS% numbers. (By comparison, Delonnie has attempted 96 FGA on the year and Neal 238, on the same TS% number.)

If Neal was getting to the line more, I would feel a bit differently. 57 FTA in 23 games is not aggressive post play though, it's 4th among UR starters (and Delonnie missed a big swath of games.)

I prob do Rick 😂 but we are all human...But yeah JOC is terrible. Even if there is a positive article there is some type of shade thrown. Ex: the start of this article "Dji Bailey isn't the most talented 6'5 player in D1 Basketball." Unnecessary imo...but it isn't just with Dji either. He's taken shots at Bigs, TB earlier this yr. I just think as "our" beat writer he could be better, a lot better. Grateful for the article none the less and thankful the coaching staff hadn't seen all they needed to see and we were able to get those 10 min a game this season 😉 🕷️🏀

I do think JOC sort of mails it in these days, but I wouldn't read that line as a shot at Dji, he's just trying to set up the next line, which is complimentary. Just another way of saying, "He's a really unique player."

And there are a couple ways to read "He's not the most talented player." I read it as "he's not the #1-rated player in D1 who is 6 foot 5" but you might have read it as "He's not a very good player." And in theory, it can mean both things (thumbs down on the English language for things like this!) but I'm pretty positive JOC meant it as the former.

I do think JOC sort of mails it in these days, but I wouldn't read that line as a shot at Dji, he's just trying to set up the next line, which is complimentary. Just another way of saying, "He's a really unique player."

And there are a couple ways to read "He's not the most talented player." I read it as "he's not the #1-rated player in D1 who is 6 foot 5" but you might have read it as "He's not a very good player." And in theory, it can mean both things (thumbs down on the English language for things like this!) but I'm pretty positive JOC meant it as the former.
but I wouldn't read that line as a shot at Dji, he's just trying to set up the next line, which is complimentary.

I get that too, but lets agree to say he needs to choose his wording better 😀

Definitely not the best article I have read, but glad Dji is getting some recognition. He worked hard and didn’t bail out like many players seem to choose to these days. I think he is much better of with a 4 yr degree from UR versus trying to stitch a degree together with classes from multiple schools.

Also saw the quote from Mooney about team construction. The one thing I appreciate about Mooney is his approach to transfers. Would much rather get a 2-3 year player than to try to build a new team every year. Granted his best pickup to date is a one year guy, but I think finding a near perfect fit like King on a yearly basis is a tall order.

Dad, really happy for Dji for the season he's having. Think most of us saw his potential but injuries hampered his opportunities.

Have an unrelated question: what are your thoughts on Trevor Smith? Came in with glowing credentials but has been relegated to the far end of the bench. Redshirt? Just needs experience? Curious as to your thoughts.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Dad, really happy for Dji for the season he's having. Think most of us saw his potential but injuries hampered his opportunities.

Have an unrelated question: what are your thoughts on Trevor Smith? Came in with glowing credentials but has been relegated to the far end of the bench. Redshirt? Just needs experience? Curious as to your thoughts.
Appreciate the words 🙏 I can't really speak on Trevor. If I had to guess and that's what I'm doing he's a Fr stuck behind upperclassman who one happens to be a player of year candidate. I just think it's the same with a lot of the young guys being stuck behind the upperclassman, just as Dji was as a Fr and Soph.

but I wouldn't read that line as a shot at Dji, he's just trying to set up the next line, which is complimentary.

I get that too, but lets agree to say he needs to choose his wording better 😀
Not a huge fan of JOC, he is too "in bed" with the UR in my opinion. But in this case, his statement that Dji is not the best 6'5 D1 player was not a dig at all. First of all it is factually true, of all of the 6'5 D-1 basketball players, Dji probably isn't THE best, assume their are some NBA first round picks that would compete for that. Secondly, as Eight said, it leads into the rest of the article about how unique of a player is and how that uniqueness makes him great.

I guess we can argue over the wording or the headline, there is an entire cottage industry that does that right now with media headlines, that assumes the people just read a headline or byline, accept the supposed headline/byline as completely factual and then don't read the rest of the article.

I get the whole concept guys and how he set up the article…but there are way too many instances where he is throwing shade…players aren’t fond of it either. The TB article was way out of pocket. He got paid major major money…of course TB made the right decision. His tweets are always shady too. I just don’t like the guy and think he could be way more positive than he is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT