ADVERTISEMENT

Around the A10

I have heard through a pretty questionable source, so I am not super confident in the info, that the player in question was EC Mathews. Pretty sure nothing is going to come of it, but it could be a serious blow to the program.

That was the guy they hired from Expressions AAU program, which is a big Nike based program. The part I find interesting is that the URI board seems to think a player may have punched a police officer. That could become very interesting, and may just result in Hurley punching a judge in court or something.
Hurley is the Joe Morrissey of College Basketball coaches.

Was going to post this when first reported, but figured I would wait to see if it was hoops players again at SLU. Yep.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...tent=1E581CCEF4A548EC0E23E772C1B751D9FDDF2EE7

Based on the discussion going on over at the SLU boards this sounds really bad. The posters over there don't seem to realize how bad the non-consensual recording and distribution of a sex tape is, no matter if the sex itself was consensual or not. And if any of the people involved were under-age things get much much worse.

What is a "noncriminal" sexual assault? If it's a sexual assault, it's criminal. If it's not criminal, it's not an assault. Am I missing something?

What is a "noncriminal" sexual assault? .. Am I missing something?
I took it to mean that it is a "sexual assault" as viewed by the university and under the university's code of conduct as opposed to under the criminal code in effect in the jurisdiction within which the school is located or the event took place.

DeVos just basically wiped the slate clean as it relates to sexual assault cases in colleges, so I'm not sure that there is any difference now.

all you need to know is the following:

Harris was one of the more productive frontcourt players in the Under Armour Association this spring and summer as he averaged 13.3 points and 5.7 rebounds per game for D.C. Premier.

guess what gear URI wears?????
What a coincidence!

OK, we can all make excuses, and I DESPISE Hurley as much as the next guy, but they are getting it done on the recruiting trail. And now converting it on the court.

I will say while I don't wan't to make excuses, I am one that is in the camp that we have been hurt by lack of the AD and admin having our back. I really hope that we can bring in an AD that will have our coaches back. Not advocating that we join the wild west / sneaker money game, but just one exception here or there in the past few years could have made the difference. An Avilla here and a Malcolm Bernard there and maybe we had another NCAA year in the last 5.

Admittedly, Rhody can admit any breathing human, so it's not exactly a fair fight. But yes, it still sucks.

Reactions: urfan1
NBC Sports A10 preview, seems like we move down a slot every time one of these come out. Whatever. But, I love how SLU gets so much credit for their transfers, but we get none for Solly, and Grant returning. And Yuta Watanabe on the Five to Watch List in this article, but no Buck?

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/10/09/atlantic-10-preview-rhode-island-leads-the-way/
Amazing how the Spiders get zero respect. A quote from the article says, "The good news is that guards Khwan Fore and De’Monte Buckingham are back, with the latter being one of the better newcomers in the A-10 last season.". No, Buck was the best newcomer! Would be willing to bet another ranch that our Spiders finish above 10th as projected in the conference.

Ulla, I am not sure but isn't this coming from NBCSports and not the Atlantic Ten projected conference standing! This is total disrespect of our entire team. We will show them. This is BULLETIN BOARD MATERIAL for our team. I can't wait until the season start!!!

Ulla, I am not sure but isn't this coming from NBCSports and not the Atlantic Ten projected conference standing! This is total disrespect of our entire team. We will show them. This is BULLETIN BOARD MATERIAL for our team. I can't wait until the season start!!!

At this point I just don't think there are any journalists informed enough about the entire A10 to write a good preview. I guess it is to be expected, outside of the P5 + BE/AAC there are not big enough fan bases to warrant a closer look. It must be really bad for some of the conferences further down.

the league is a real toss up this year. everyone will agree URI is the favorite, but reading the previews there are questions with every team. no idea how it will play out. I just know we're more talented and harder working than a 10th place team. we're better going in than a lot of Spider teams that did well.

the league is a real toss up this year. everyone will agree URI is the favorite, but reading the previews there are questions with every team. no idea how it will play out. I just know we're more talented and harder working than a 10th place team. we're better going in than a lot of Spider teams that did well.
I will go out of the limb to say that we are better than a 7th or 8th place team according to Street & Smith.

The only way we finish as low as 10th is if we lose all the tiebreakers in a 6-way tie for 5th or something ridiculous like that. It's also amusing to me that so many places are picking VCU in the top-3 despite an entire new coaching staff and a roster mostly composed of guys who did not play there last year.

So only two teams got no mention in this piece except for the individual team capsules...Fordham and UR. That’s some weak sauce.

There are plenty of good reasons for an outsider to project UR near the bottom of the conference. 1) Loss of the POY and all-conference guard are huge losses 2) No proven "go to" guy returning 3) No proven inside threat returning 4) No proven outside threat returning 5) No proven rebounder returning 6) No proven front court depth 7) overall youth of the team 8) not the most heralded recruit class in conference 9) historical lack of NCAA success.

It shouldn't be a surprise that the Spiders are underwhelming in the eyes of those who are gazing from afar. But, like everyone else on this board I think that the Spiders will exceed expectations. Those who follow the program know that although no Spiders have proven anything, there is a pretty decent amount of talent on hand. The question marks are legitimate. No-one yet knows how quickly this bunch will grow, or if they can blend their individual talents into overall team success. It is reasonable to question whether or not the frontcourt players can be competitive college basketballers. Time will tell.

The low prognostications shouldn't bother us one bit. I don't see the Spiders finishing 10th in conference. There are plenty of reasons to think that the A-10 is going to be an average / competitive conference this year. This team should get better as the season progresses. The bigger challenge for this team is a fairly decent out-of-conference schedule. If they can come out of that without being too beat up, I think they will be fine in the A-10.

Looking back at our conference record since we joined the A10 we have only finished 10th or worse twice - Mooney's first 2 years. I know the number of conference members has gone up and down over the years but it just puts into perspective how bad our team would have to be this year to finish 10th. There is infinitely more talent on this current roster than those early Mooney years and for that reason alone I think a top half of the A10 finish is reasonable to expect.

Believe the "experts" picked us 7th or 8th last year and we ended up ....

Last 10 years - the number of A-10 teams with more conference wins than us were:
3, 4, 2, 2, 8, 7, 6, 3, 8, 2 oldest to newest

way too much talent to have the worst Spider team in 10 years. we're a lot closer to our most talented teams than we are to our least. Buck as an all time great. Golden might be ready right now as a RS freshman to play like one of our all time great big men. and we fill out our top 7 for sure strongly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT