ADVERTISEMENT

Mooney A10 Coach of the Year?

UR80sfan

Star
Jan 28, 2018
If the season were to end today Mooney would have a good chance of being selected A10 Coach of the Year based on preseason expectations of 11th ranked and currently 1st due to tiebreaker. Dayton's coach is also in the running due to their NET ranking, but I think Mooney edges him out.

If the season were to end today Mooney would have a good chance of being selected A10 Coach of the Year based on preseason expectations of 11th ranked and currently 1st due to tiebreaker. Dayton's coach is also in the running due to their NET ranking, but I think Mooney edges him out.
What about LUC coach?

Reactions: gcarter52
Right now it would be between Mooney and Valentine, though some people want to give it to Skinn. I don't see that as a realistic option.

Reactions: gcarter52
Loyola just keeps hanging around. If they win the regular season, I think Valentine would get it. If Spiders win, Mooney. If Dayton wins not sure.
Can't see AG getting the Coach of the year - since half the dayton twitter fan base is looking for their next coach right now. So agree with the above and since we are going to be finishing in 1st place, Coach gets the nod over Valentine.

We were picked 11th, Loyola was picked 8th. Finishing first gives a pretty significant boost, so I suspect that would be the decider and I’d give it to Mooney if we tie. Valentine getting lots of love though based on how bad they were last year.

Can't see AG getting the Coach of the year - since half the dayton twitter fan base is looking for their next coach right now. So agree with the above and since we are going to be finishing in 1st place, Coach gets the nod over Valentine.
Well, they have a huge following, and expectations. The "Mooney above all guys" on this board (really only a few - like the guys that come on only for negative posts, these guys (with the exception of 4700 in the offseason) only come on here to slam dunk on the times Mooney is doing well) would not do well on the Dayton social media scene. Funny b/c one of the main guys that used to do a Dayton podcast was down on AG last three years but I think has been defending this season.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Well, they have a huge following, and expectations. The "Mooney above all guys" on this board (really only a few - like the guys that come on only for negative posts, these guys (with the exception of 4700 in the offseason) only come on here to slam dunk on the times Mooney is doing well) would not do well on the Dayton social media scene. Funny b/c one of the main guys that used to do a Dayton podcast was down on AG last three years but I think has been defending this season.
This has been a good year for CM in the respect of showing his coaching ability. He has taken a team of new comers and created a good starting five and has utilized his bench well. I think it was Mason game that showed his experience when he went with a small lineup in second half and won game going away. He has made adjustments when he needed to vs the old Mooney who would stick to his guns too long. I also believe he has utilized the bench well since we do have depth.

If we finish first, I think Mooney will win it. Also, think Grant and coach of Loyola have strong cases. I think it comes down to who wins the league.

Yes, agree. This seems to be Peak Mooney so far this year. Just needs to finish strong. Although publicly stated that he doesn't want to rely on transfers, we have four in the starting lineup, all fitting in and excelling in their roles. I do like the young talent on the roster, but think we are going to need to get a few guys in the portal again - but based on last two years he is doing well in this area.

I know he likes HS, but I don't think he has ruled out more transfers.

I have said before the transfers fill slots at the big boys, thus leaving better HS players available for schools like Richmond.

Reactions: fatherspider
Valentine has been getting a ton of buzz from the national media, so I think he still sits at the favorite over Mooney at this time. If we finish first and they're second, I still think Valentine might get it or even a tie.

Valentine has been getting a ton of buzz from the national media, so I think he still sits at the favorite over Mooney at this time. If we finish first and they're second, I still think Valentine might get it or even a tie.
I don’t understand why when you were picked 11th. If anything, we should be co-coy!

Yes, agree. This seems to be Peak Mooney so far this year. Just needs to finish strong. Although publicly stated that he doesn't want to rely on transfers, we have four in the starting lineup, all fitting in and excelling in their roles. I do like the young talent on the roster, but think we are going to need to get a few guys in the portal again - but based on last two years he is doing well in this area.
I saw article in RTD and Mooney mentioning HS vs portal. Let’s face it, in the new world order of portal and NIL this seems formula for success. It’s made us a much better team this year than could have been expected with HS players coming in and even a 2nd year. Look no further than King, Hunt, Bigs, and Quinn. All came through the portal. They r major contributors. Dji came from within, and he has certainly demonstrated his value added. Tyne and Walz as contributors also were HS recruits. Bottom line - I just don’t see how we can’t be aggressive in the portal as we r seeing direct and tangible results. Relying upon a growth program for HS players is a longer term “hope”. Hope that they develop and hope that they don’t transfer.

Reactions: spider23
Beating preseason projections of course isn't the sole criterion people use when voting. If it was, then yeah, Mooney's looking pretty good.

But Loyola is in the running to pull off a very rare "worst to first" feat, or at least close to it. How much "blame" Valentine deserves for last year's performance (he was playing the long game to set up for COY this year!) is up for debate. It was only his second season at the helm and first in the A-10, though his first season saw them win the MVC tournament for the conference's only bid, so it wasn't like he was rebuilding from scratch.

Beating preseason projections of course isn't the sole criterion people use when voting. If it was, then yeah, Mooney's looking pretty good.

But Loyola is in the running to pull off a very rare "worst to first" feat, or at least close to it. How much "blame" Valentine deserves for last year's performance (he was playing the long game to set up for COY this year!) is up for debate. It was only his second season at the helm and first in the A-10, though his first season saw them win the MVC tournament for the conference's only bid, so it wasn't like he was rebuilding from scratch.

it will be all about whether the voters value the team that did horribly last season and excelled this season, the team with a lower projected finish that far exceeded it, or the coach whose team "ran the conference" at least metrics wise and national ranking wise.

The COY award almost always goes to the coach for the team that wins the regular season. Ergo (sp?) was the exception last year of course. So CM has a shot and it would most likely mean the first COY award and regular season champion for Richmond. If there is a multi-team tie then CM may edge the other(s) due to the heart issue last year.

I saw article in RTD and Mooney mentioning HS vs portal. Let’s face it, in the new world order of portal and NIL this seems formula for success. It’s made us a much better team this year than could have been expected with HS players coming in and even a 2nd year. Look no further than King, Hunt, Bigs, and Quinn. All came through the portal. They r major contributors. Dji came from within, and he has certainly demonstrated his value added. Tyne and Walz as contributors also were HS recruits. Bottom line - I just don’t see how we can’t be aggressive in the portal as we r seeing direct and tangible results. Relying upon a growth program for HS players is a longer term “hope”. Hope that they develop and hope that they don’t transfer.
Yeah, it would be a helluva thing if we were to win the A10 regular season for the first time ever, with a lineup largely composed of transfers, and Mooney's takeaway is "Let's go recruit a ton of high school kids!"

He deserves a lot of credit for doing very well in the portal the last couple years, and while I understand his desire to get guys who can be here multiple years, I hope he is also still open to taking a guy like King when he's available. But generally speaking, I agree that it is best to get multi-year transfers. Bottom line is that we need to continue taking transfers who can make us better, and I hope we will.

The COY award almost always goes to the coach for the team that wins the regular season. Ergo (sp?) was the exception last year of course. So CM has a shot and it would most likely mean the first COY award and regular season champion for Richmond. If there is a multi-team tie then CM may edge the other(s) due to the heart issue last year.
Yeah, Baron won it a couple of times without being champ, but that was obviously a while ago. Urgo is the only recent example from a team that didn't at least tie for the title.

Yeah, it would be a helluva thing if we were to win the A10 regular season for the first time ever, with a lineup largely composed of transfers, and Mooney's takeaway is "Let's go recruit a ton of high school kids!"

He deserves a lot of credit for doing very well in the portal the last couple years, and while I understand his desire to get guys who can be here multiple years, I hope he is also still open to taking a guy like King when he's available. But generally speaking, I agree that it is best to get multi-year transfers. Bottom line is that we need to continue taking transfers who can make us better, and I hope we will.
Mooney probably thinks it is going to be tough to go out and not only find players like King in the portal, but get them to come here. Kind of crazy he wasn't getting looks from P6. Not sure how replicable this year will be in terms of portal success, but it has been successful beyond even the most optimistic fan's imagination.

Reactions: whampas
Mooney probably thinks it is going to be tough to go out and not only find players like King in the portal, but get them to come here. Kind of crazy he wasn't getting looks from P6. Not sure how replicable this year will be in terms of portal success, but it has been successful beyond even the most optimistic fan's imagination.
I'm optimistic that if the Spiders Collective continues to have growing support with reasonably similar NIL money for talented players like King, many rising juniors or seniors from low to mid majors would prefer the idea of knowing they are going to play for a strong program than take a chance of going to a mediocre P6 where it's 50/50 that they start or are the focus of the team.

Last edited:
It is very impressive that Coach Mooney has been able to achieve 2 twenty-win seasons in 3 years. This is an exciting accomplishment. He has adjusted to the new environment better than most other NCAA coaches.

With the win last night - I think Mooney has pretty much locked up A10 coach of the year. Given we were picked 11th and are in the realm of possibility for an NCAA bid (assuming a lot happens in our favor) - I think he is the frontrunner right now. Valentine at Loyola has a chance because they have had a good season as well and picked 8th, and of course Dayton - but given they have fallen a bit lately and were expected to be good - probably not as much.

Plus - the kicker is the human element. Last year Mooney has to step away because of medical/heart issues. Misses the end of the season, and now comes back this year - with a team of transfers, and gets off to a slow start, but then starts the A10 with 8 straight wins.

I also think King has increased his chances for A10 POY. He didn't play well against Davidson - but he now has a memorable moment, hitting those free throws at the end to win that game - that might stick with some people. He is still competing with Holmes from Dayton, but I think if UR wins the A10 regular season - the POY and COY is UR's to win. And if UR wins the A10 regular season, especially outright (no ties) - I find it hard to see them not making the tourney. Not sure that has ever happened in A10 history.

And if UR wins the A10 regular season, especially outright (no ties) - I find it hard to see them not making the tourney. Not sure that has ever happened in A10 history.
I had stated this in some other thread but I am pretty sure I remember hearing or reading last year that even with vcu running away with the conference regular season title they were nowhere close to an NCAA's lock and were still going to have to win the A10 title to get in there.
But to answer your question, going back in history and skipping the Covid cancelled year the first instance of that happening was 2015-16 where there was a 3 way regular season tie for first. Two of them made it (vcu and Dayton) and one did not (St. Bona). Then the last time before that was another two way tie in 2006-07 where Xavier made it and UMass did not.

Of course, one thing to consider is that over all those years often the regular season winner won the conference tournament as well.

This Mooney guy is 🔥.

4576.jpg

With the win last night - I think Mooney has pretty much locked up A10 coach of the year. Given we were picked 11th and are in the realm of possibility for an NCAA bid (assuming a lot happens in our favor) - I think he is the frontrunner right now. Valentine at Loyola has a chance because they have had a good season as well and picked 8th, and of course Dayton - but given they have fallen a bit lately and were expected to be good - probably not as much.

Plus - the kicker is the human element. Last year Mooney has to step away because of medical/heart issues. Misses the end of the season, and now comes back this year - with a team of transfers, and gets off to a slow start, but then starts the A10 with 8 straight wins.

I also think King has increased his chances for A10 POY. He didn't play well against Davidson - but he now has a memorable moment, hitting those free throws at the end to win that game - that might stick with some people. He is still competing with Holmes from Dayton, but I think if UR wins the A10 regular season - the POY and COY is UR's to win. And if UR wins the A10 regular season, especially outright (no ties) - I find it hard to see them not making the tourney. Not sure that has ever happened in A10 history.
No one has locked up anything yet. Most likely the COY will go to whoever finishes higher between us and Loyola, unless we both crap the bed and Dayton wins the league by 2 games or something.

Last edited:
This is probably one of Chris Mooney's best coaching efforts, yet. It may be comparable to the year, when he took the team to the Sweet 16. Although, that team may have been more talented.

I think Mooney deserves COY. Since we finished first in season and in my unbiased observation, I also believe King should be POY. I’m assuming all season Holmes was the anointed POY, and the deciders aren’t coming off of that. We can do that whole stat comparison, but for a team projected 11 and finished 1 who was lead by King in some amazing efforts, he earned it.

Rothstein takes the easy road and declares a tie between Mooney and Valentine. Holmes POY with King on first team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT