ADVERTISEMENT

Around the A10

Also rumored that Danny Hurley has been picked as the preseason favorite to win the Sportsman of the Year Award from the Anger Management Institute of America.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
i believe 4th is a very reasonable goal with somewhere 6-8 as most likely still. Tough to see us being ready to be better than URI or the Bonnies. The next five all have questions (as do we). Figure at least one of the 5 answers their questions resoundingly positively and then 4th for us looks like a good spot if we in fact answer all our questions as well. But, if more than one of the five have things work out really well and/or we struggle a bit here and there and 6-8 looks like where we land when all is said and done.

Once you get past the top 2 or 3 team and the bottom 2 or 3 teams, it is pretty much a crap shoot regarding preseason predictions. As soon as the games starts, these predictions are meaningless anyway.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
I wonder if Fore will end up as 1 of the top 15 players in the A-10 by the end of the season.

The answer to that question is "Yes". I believe Khwan will be on an all A-10 team at the end of the year.
As do I, but I wanted to be subtle about it...

Brought it up because his name doesn't seemed have been mentioned today.

I believe what Nick said in the Timesdispatch that Khwan and the rest of the team will surprise because everyone is counting us out. They have been getting history lessons of the last couple of years and are ready to break that string tough losses to turn into tough wins.

The person writing this hasn't a clue.

My guess is with 350 previews to write, these writers often just look at season statistics from last year to do a lot of their projecting. In this case they would see Grant as a guy who only appeared in 9 games, averaging 2 pts and 2 rebs.

Reactions: urfan1
I'm as biased as anyone here, but if this is an 8th place team then either I'm very wrong about a lot of these kids or the A10 is a heck of a conference this year.

I'm as biased as anyone here, but if this is an 8th place team then either I'm very wrong about a lot of these kids or the A10 is a heck of a conference this year.
We may find out more next Saturday in Charlottesville. Hope we get to hear how Golden & Stansbury do against Salt & Wilkins. And is it correct that Huff was a Top 50 7 footer that UVA redshirted last year? I don't know anything about the circumstances...

Last edited:
Yea, I am hoping that we see some posts about UR crushing UVA underfoot in this scrimmage, which I do believe can happen. .

I just hope the coaches (and players) don't take our foot off of their throats if/when we get a big lead.... This could be a great way to build team confidence.

I think these scrimmages are less about winning a game and more about trying out strategies, different lineups, etc.

Reactions: urfan1
A scrimmage win, is when your players learn things to work on, but gain confidence, and the Coaches begin to understand how the pieces fit together, Score, what's that?

Reactions: gcarter52
The score may not matter against Towson and a few other teams. However, the score against UVA will have some meaning, if not to the coaches then at least to the players. How we match up against a pre-season top-30 team like UVA will likely influence our player's confidence, one way or the other.

I agree to an extent. George Allen (LA Rams and Washington Redskins coach) always made each preseason game life or death and I submit he often burnt out his teams early.

Some of this is on the coaches and how they position the UVA scrimmage.

I agree to an extent. George Allen (LA Rams and Washington Redskins coach) always made each preseason game life or death and I submit he often burnt out his teams early.

Some of this is on the coaches and how they position the UVA scrimmage.

NFL preseason games are completely different. The players are trying to not get cut, it is life and death for them. The coaches are trying to evaluate the 3rd and 4th and 5th string players, not trying to see how their 1st and 2nd string players work together. Completely different beast.

Last edited:
Reactions: gcarter52
We are moving up the pre season rankings. The computer has us 7th in the A10 I believe:
https://kenpom.com/

Kenpom's algorithm is predicting a very weak A10 at the top, weakest since we joined. Of course, he is also predicting we have the weakest Richmond team in the past decade as well. Preseason predictions are very difficult, but if the algorithm is right about the A10 and wrong about us we could be looking at a top 4 finish again.

Kenpom's algorithm is predicting a very weak A10 at the top, weakest since we joined. Of course, he is also predicting we have the weakest Richmond team in the past decade as well. Preseason predictions are very difficult, but if the algorithm is right about the A10 and wrong about us we could be looking at a top 4 finish again.
But he did predict us in the Top 144...

But he did predict us in the Top 144...

He also predicts we are going to have 6 or 7 top 100 OOC games, pretty good for the resume if he turns out to be correct. He has Cincinnati at 11th.

If his methodology is similar to the prior season then he is accounting for Golden but not Stansbury or the Freshmen. Not sure about Madrid-Andrews...
https://kenpom.com/blog/2016-preseason-ratings/
"It doesn’t know about transfers, and all but 5-star recruits are virtually ignored."
"A new addition this year is accounting for injured players from the previous season. If a returning player played a partial season, then his future impact is considered to be more than it was in previous versions of the system."

Are there more transfers overall to the A-10 this season? or more true freshmen? That could account for some of the predicted weakness...

and if Golden is considered a 2 star recruit, or if his production is based at all on what he did in his partial year last season ...

The score may not matter against Towson and a few other teams. However, the score against UVA will have some meaning, if not to the coaches then at least to the players. How we match up against a pre-season top-30 team like UVA will likely influence our player's confidence, one way or the other.
It's kind of like little kid sports, no one is officially keeping score, but the players and the parents know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT