ADVERTISEMENT

URI Game thread - Wed 7pm ESPN+

One other observation, just like I observed at the Fordham game, this was fully engaged Mooney - these refs were probably wishing they could swap him out for Danny Hurley. Moon was on them from minute one, pacing the sideline. Somewhat pull up some game tape, but I feel like last year and some other past years he was a lot calmer on the sidelines. I like fired up Mooney. Don't know if it helps or hurts with the refs but I do think it translates to the players.

Reactions: gospidersgo
I did not know that, interesting
I heard it on TV last night, and still didn’t know it

From his bio:

About Fuchs
  • A physically mature player, he has significant experience in European professional leagues, playing for Ratiopharm Ulm and OrangeAcademy in Germany
  • In 24 games for Ratiopharm Ulm in 2022-23, he averaged 3.0 points and 2.0 rebounds while shooting 53.3 percent from the field
  • Played two years for OrangeAcademy, appearing in 36 games
  • In his second season there, he averaged 16.1 points and 7.8 rebounds, up from 9.0 points and 2.8 rebounds a year earlier
  • Despite his experience at the professional level, he comes to Kingston as a true freshman

Last edited:
I don’t understand the attack posts on here when someone points out a longtime issue.

I suppose Wood and Lurker were really happy with no FGA and 2 turnovers when we stopped playing offense between 4:00 and 2:00, and URI cut the lead from 11 to 5?

With an 11 point lead and 4 minutes left every game, even I could coach a team to 30–1. The point being that maybe instead of employing a strategy that seemingly always brings the game within a possession or two, try one that has more aggression and tries to end the game with buckets. Actively winning vs passively. Seems when we hold the ball result in poor possessions, I find this hard to dispute. Kevin Anderson/Jordan King are the exceptions over the years, not the rule.
I mean, "attack" is overselling it a little, don't you think?

The King miss at 3:17 was an iso where we weren't running the offense. Didn't love the shot even though he can obviously make long twos, but fine.

The Quinn TO at 2:52 was a bad pass trying to hit cutter to the hoop.

The Quinn miss at 2:17 and turnover was a shot clock violation. We ran it down, didn't have a good shot, but got an inbounds with 3 seconds on the shot clock after the Rams tipped a pass out. Quinn couldn't get a good shot/got altered, and the shot clock expired.

The King miss at 1:36 started with us running the offense, but not a lot of motion. Ended up with King holding the ball out at midcourt as time ticked down and he had to make a desperation drive and layup attempt that had no chance.

I do believe in slowing things down some to run clock, but that was not a good sequence of possessions for us.
OK, I wasn't watching, just went by the PxP. I find I'm happier when I don't watch TV games and just periodically check the score.

There has been ample criticism of Mooney in the past, much of it warranted. Seems to me this year the naysayers are having to dig even deeper to find fault.

If you rewatch I made a mental note of a play I found baffling. Someone had good defense on their man who was trying to back him in. As he went up for a turnaround jumper in the lane, Quinn abandoned Fuchs and went for a help blocked shot. But he was late, the guy faded on his shot and Fuchs was thus left all alone for a simple follow dunk. Believe we were ahead 14-12 at the time. Given that URI already had 3-4 off rebounds at that early stage and that Quinn is not a shot blocker I found this defensive strategy pretty puzzling. Feel like the most successful play we have in those spots is when Quinn shows well vertically to alter shots but doesn’t chase blocks and abandon rebounding fundamentals and position.
You probably heard me screaming at the tv on that play. Is this a player in the moment or playing defensive scheme as instructed? Have seen this previously in other games.

If you rewatch I made a mental note of a play I found baffling. Someone had good defense on their man who was trying to back him in. As he went up for a turnaround jumper in the lane, Quinn abandoned Fuchs and went for a help blocked shot. But he was late, the guy faded on his shot and Fuchs was thus left all alone for a simple follow dunk. Believe we were ahead 14-12 at the time. Given that URI already had 3-4 off rebounds at that early stage and that Quinn is not a shot blocker I found this defensive strategy pretty puzzling. Feel like the most successful play we have in those spots is when Quinn shows well vertically to alter shots but doesn’t chase blocks and abandon rebounding fundamentals and position.
This is what's known in Spiderland as "The Full Darrius Garrett".

• Haha
Reactions: mcspider
Fuchs hurt his ankle in practice yesterday. Tried to warm up and give it a go today but couldn’t do it.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT