ADVERTISEMENT

Wichita isn’t Lawrence - Wichita State Game Thread - Wed 7:30 ESPN +

Some highlights of our first game of the millennium in Kansas and specifically Lawrence. A few of my friend were there but not me unfortunately. Lawrence appears to be around 160 miles NE from Wichita (which I have been to once for work).

never gets old. the rewatching it part. the video quality, that ages every year lol. looks like from the 80s not 2000s.

I always wish the Dobbins block after KU threw it to near 3 pt line w whatever time was left was included in those highlights. There was a blatant offensive foul called so it didn't matter but the Dobbins stuff was still classic.

I seriously considered going to this game. IIRC the flights were not easy nor very affordable. In hindsight I'd make a different decision. Coinidentally I've also been to Wichita once for work.

was an amazing game to watch on tv. Raftery on the call (Onions!) KU choked 2 FTs and then the huge O'Malley 3 pointer, the Dobbins block causing a shot clock violation and then the game winning shot. Very clutch by UR and total meltdown by KU offense. Also classic was the players ignoring Ole Jer's drawn up play late in the game and just telling him that they were going to run the stuff that had been working all game. Get out of your own way Jer.

was an amazing game to watch on tv. Raftery on the call (Onions!) KU choked 2 FTs and then the huge O'Malley 3 pointer, the Dobbins block causing a shot clock violation and then the game winning shot. Very clutch by UR and total meltdown by KU offense. Also classic was the players ignoring Ole Jer's drawn up play late in the game and just telling him that they were going to run the stuff that had been working all game. Get out of your own way Jer.

I forgot about that...Jerry sit this one out.

Skrocki stroke so pure too, underrated athleticism...we could use another Skrocki.

I would love to feel confident the Spiders will winnthis game but I felt that way at BC and that didnt go well. Road OOC games against decent teams has not Mooney’s forte. I hope Im wrong and King and company get it done.

Here's the game thread over on their message board:

Here's a real quote: "This could be our biggest test yet. Richmond has seen some pretty decent squads through the years. Can’t tell a lot by there wins but they’ve lost a couple of close ones to BC and a ranked Colorado team. Hope to keep seeing improvement. The coach seems to have them going in the right direction…"

https://shockernet.net/forum/wichit...hita-state-6-1-pregame-discussion#post1413759

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Here's the game thread over on their message board:

Here's a real quote: "This could be our biggest test yet. Richmond has seen some pretty decent squads through the years. Can’t tell a lot by there wins but they’ve lost a couple of close ones to BC and a ranked Colorado team. Hope to keep seeing improvement. The coach seems to have them going in the right direction…"

https://shockernet.net/forum/wichit...hita-state-6-1-pregame-discussion#post1413759
thanks - always fun to see how crazy active our message board tends to be compared to other much larger schools

Reactions: CH_Spider
I would love to feel confident the Spiders will winnthis game but I felt that way at BC and that didnt go well. Road OOC games against decent teams has not Mooney’s forte. I hope Im wrong and King and company get it done.
You of little faith, we are getting much better. That was our only true road test to date, a very small sample size!

Going to be in Mexico for this one, don’t think ESPN+ works there. We’ll see if I can avoid spoilers until I get back home Saturday. Good luck Spiders!
Safe travels - Maybe I got lucky but I was able by the way to get ESPN+ working in Montreal this weekend. I had read that it wasn't going to work and it didn't when connected to hotel wireless but via an AT&T cellular connection, was able to watch so ended up tethering laptop to phone and all was good on Sat night.

Some highlights of our first game of the millennium in Kansas and specifically Lawrence. A few of my friend were there but not me unfortunately. Lawrence appears to be around 160 miles NE from Wichita (which I have been to once for work).

I know every spider has their favorite moment and it’s hard to top some of them. Chatanooga comes to mind but for me this is it. Prime time january non conference college basketball game between two teams jostling for NCAA position in one of the hallowed grounds of college basketball. Remember jumping so high when Tony Dobbins hit that jumper I hit my head on the fan in my room jumping off furniture. That week was surely a special week to be a Spider fan between that and the road wins at Temple and X. Shows the eggheads on campus that you can be good at both academics and school.

Two bigs. One of them (pohto their best guy) can play outside the paint but is not too physical. The other is a fierce shot blocker. Okay guards. Not really much of a three ball team. Play seven guys but the guys off the bench are good.

They are not the same team as the past under Greg Marshall. Hopefully we have learned from last year’s loss. Our mindset is more aggressive and much more physical.
I think you misunderstood me. The sample size is Mooney’s career.

Brutal start...every shot but 1 has been taken by Bigelow, Noyes, or Tyne. Need King to get aggressive ASAP.

Need to shoot well to neutralize our size disadvantage. I think this is a game we need to see more Dji at the 2, Harris as the backup 4.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT