ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: UR vs Siena 11/11

You should be hating the starters for their smothering defense, haha
Well I hate that I didn't know that the one player that could score for Siena was out. Loved our defense but I have been watching a few college hoop games and these have been two of the worst teams I have seen in Siena and vmi. But give us credit for Taking care of business. We haven't done that in the past.

I don't know if Siena without that guy is an awful team or not, but we made them look like hot garbage for 40 minutes. That was one of the most complete efforts from start to finish, on both sides of the ball, that I've seen from us in some time. We just kept coming.

Not explicitly. They removed scoring margin as a factor a couple of years ago when they simplified the NET. Previously, it was included with a cap of 10 points (1 point for OT games).

But it still essentially shows up in the net efficiency metric, since better offensive and defensive efficiency correlates pretty well with increased margin of victory. And of course there's the black box that is the Team Value Index component.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Missed the VMI game, so first time seeing this group play. Overall, the best way I can think to explain it is that they look way less robotic as a whole than most Mooney teams. In a good way. Not sure if this will hold up against better teams, but nice to see them wax bad teams.

Dji was very, very good today. He stood out in a game where a lot of guys played well. Liked what was pretty much a 4 guard lineup in the first half where we pressed a ton, that got things moving.

thanks, I'd forgotten about net efficiency.

Spiders have 37 assists, 25 steals and just 15 turnovers in 2 games so far, along with 52/41/72 shooting splits*.

*was an English major so this may be wrong #math

I think the main thing that stuck out to me is last year Walz would either get no playing time at all or be mostly ineffective in the time he got I didn't expect a whole lot out of him this year either but he is showing us something now, could he improve on a few things? Sure, but there is at least a foundation to build something on now. And if he keeps taking those trips to Wawa that will open up the middle significantly for others.

This team is fun to watch. As the competition gets better, they need to play with the same aggressiveness and confidence that has given them success these first 2 games.

King and Hunt are a great backcourt. They get our guys rolling offensively and defensively from the opening tip.

Quinn is looking good. We haven't needed a lot of scoring from him so far, and will need him to score more as the season moves along because our guys outside will be less open with better competition. I think he will be ready to give us some big games when needed.

Bigs is looking good. Didn't force the 3 ball, and took what was there. We need his athleticism, size, and all around game out there, and he looks the part so far.

Noyes has been good. Nothing crazy great, but I don't think the fast pace, up and down style of these first 2 games suits his game as well. He will be needed more as the games get lower scoring and the defense we see gets better.

I thought our bench was great. Walz is looking better and better. He needs to eliminate the bad turnovers, but the other parts of his game have definitely improved. He can be a factor with his size.

Dji played another solid game. The wing spot has allowed him to not worry about other stuff, and be more aggressive on offense. The style of play so far has suited his game, and he needs to keep this aggressiveness and confidence as the year goes along, regardless of opponent and style. The 3s have been a pleasant bonus. Yes, they have been wide open, but his form and shot looks a little better this year. If he can just hit some every now and then as the season goes along, that will be huge. I wasn't sure about his minutes before the season started, but seeing him at the wing, I like him a lot in the 6th man role.

Roche did what we need him to do...3-4 from 3, and I agree with most everyone here about Tyne. He looks smooth out there, and looks like a senior PG. He is a good one.

I am liking the 9 man rotation. Minutes will always fluctuate, but the 4 guys on the bench bring a lot of different skills out there. As a bench, they have handling, 3 ball, defense and size covered.

Don't want to go too crazy about wins over bad teams, but so far, so good.

Last edited:
Reactions: spider23 and urfan1
Anyone know who did the player interview on the post-game show? I missed it last night ,..

The boys beat two very bad teams by 30+. I like the low turnovers and the decent rebounding. We still need to see how they handle a decent team, but if Bailey and Bigelow can repeat Sat night this team should be able to “compete”. If Quinn and Noyes show up, the Spiders can do better than compete. King and Hunt are still total shockers to me, possible season changers.

The boys beat two very bad teams by 30+. I like the low turnovers and the decent rebounding. We still need to see how they handle a decent team, but if Bailey and Bigelow can repeat Sat night this team should be able to “compete”. If Quinn and Noyes show up, the Spiders can do better than compete. King and Hunt are still total shockers to me, possible season changers.
We need everyone on board for an all inspiring season to come to pass, I do believe!!

Reactions: SpiderLaw
These two games are similar to two exhibition games the opponents were so bad. I wonder if this a result of transfer portal where the lower end schools suffer even more because all the good players continue to transfer up - leaving the bottom schools with nothing. Sort of the the rich get richer, and poor get poorer mentality with the portal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT