ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Baseball Season

Roche's final line: 6 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 4 K, 4 HBP (this killed us)
Lavelle's final line: 7.2 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 10 K, 2 BB

Lorenzo comes in and gets a key pinch hit RBI single in the top of the 8th, but we can't get anything else across. 3 more outs to work with.

Well Lavelle goes 7.2 innings and picks up the win 5-2. We should not have to face him again.

Glad we were able to salvage a win today. Would have loved to take 2-3 this weekend, but I'm feeling okay sitting at 3-3 in conference right now. Still feeling shaky about the weekend pitching outside of Roche, but E-Rod did a solid job today.

We have a rare two-game midweek slate this week, hosting VMI on Tuesday and heading to JMU on Wednesday.

Gameday! 2:30PM at Pitt Field against VMI (17-18, 2-4 SoCon). Should be another evenly matched mid-week game. This is a team that steals A TON (NCAA LEADING 115 SBs) of bags, good for almost 3.3 for game. They also have been converting at a decent clip (they attempt 4 per game, good for ~80% success rate).

Their individual steals leader is Ty Swaim, Senior 2B who was on the Second Team All-SoCon last year. He has 20 SBs, and is also hitting an impressive .343 this season, with 2 Home Runs and 25 RBIs. VMI's best hitter though is Justin Starke, the Redshirt Senior 3B who is slashing .402/.525/.713. He can hit for power (9 home runs and 33 RBIs), but has also drawn a team leading 28 walks, and has stolen 11 bases.

Tomorrow we head to James Madison for a 6PM game, which will be a really tough matchup. As I wrote in an earlier post, they play in a really competitive Sun Belt conference, and currently hold a 19-12 record (6-6 Sun Belt). They are coming off of a 3 game sweep of App State, and in mid-March played a competitive 1-2 series against Coastal Carolina. They have a really balanced offense, as six of their hitters have 22 or more RBIs. I'll choose Fenwick Trimble as the player to watch (Yes, he is INDEED the brother of George Mason's South Trimble). In the App State series he hit 6-12 with 6 runs scored, 1 home run, and 3 RBIs. On the season he is batting .350 (leads the Dukes with 43 hits), and has also hit for 4 home runs and driven in 27 runs. He also does not strike out, with only 12 on the season. He was All-Sun Belt Second Team last season, so this is a long string of success for Trimble.

Let's try to take one of two here!

Reactions: urfan1
After being down 6-0 through 2.5 innings, Spiders put 5 on the board to make it a 6-5 game through three. Jaffe blasted a no doubt three-run homer with a hell of a pimp job to boot.

Wild pitch to score Topolski and a Wilga 2-run shot give the Spiders an 8–6 lead. Still a long way to go though.

Ugh - VMI goes single, HBP, double steal, BB (wild pitch, R), sac fly, BB, HBP. Now bases loaded with one out and only a two run lead.

Going to the pen for the fifth pitcher of the day (in the fifth inning). Already given up 9 walks and 3 HBP.

…and now we’re down 2. Bases still loaded.

10 walks and 5 HBP, and we’re still in the 5th.

• Sad
Reactions: TobiasCatsup
We've used 6 pitchers through 5 innings and will probably need at least 2-3 more to get through this one. At this point we might need myself, SF, and Tobias to cover a few innings @ JMU tomorrow.

I'm a little sore from softball on Sunday (1-2 at the plate for those tracking my stats) but I'll see what I can do.

23–13 in the bottom of the 8th. We’ve given up 17 walks and 7 HBP.

How do you walk 17? Unbelievable.
That's a remarkable stat. I can't recall seeing a stat like that. My 12 year old travel team walked 63 batters in 23 games last fall. They are 12 year olds! I don't understand how 17 walks is possible at the D1 level. At some point just rare back and throw it down the middle! Ha

Looked it up out of curiosity...the NCAA record for BB in a game is 25. The record for HBP is 10.

I had a 15 year old who claimed 5 pitches and was being scouted but walked
way to many. So I cut him down to two and he had great control and more
strikeouts. Yet his father and he were upset at me because they thought I was
limiting his talent.

I was a catcher and I hated to catch pitchers with poor control of the plate. Put
the ball in play and let your fielders decide the game.

Behold...the box score of nightmares. Shoutout to our catcher, Jason Shockley, for being the only pitcher to throw a relatively clean inning!

Box-Score.png

• Wow
There is so much to unpack here. The 50/50 strikes and balls rate, the whopping 32 pitches per inning thrown, 5 home runs allowed, and yet even more HBPs. Wow.

So who does that leave for today? Wallon only threw 13 pitches yesterday, wouldn't mind Aoki throwing Hinchliffe an inning or two just to get him looks against good competition, Dylan Siesky and Kellan Heaney have not thrown since the Niagara series (not sure if there is an injury there), Hentschel or Armson could maybe each get an inning of work.

Can we ask to play a 6 inning game??

JMU live stats are showing Armson as our starter.

Their starter Culkin has only pitched 3.2 innings all season and given up 14 hits and 8 runs, so maybe we have a chance!

Spiders got a homer from Whitley on the first pitch of the game, but that's not going to be nearly enough.

Armson only pitched one inning without suffering any damage, but then Sannes came in for the second and promptly gave up 5 runs with a couple of walks, a single, a double, and a triple mixed in.

Corso came in for the third and somehow managed to avoid giving up any runs despite giving up a couple of walks, a wild pitch, and a failed pickoff attempt. No hits though, and he got out of the inning when a runner from third tried to come home on a double steal as we threw to second, but he didn't make it.

Clifton is in for the fourth.

We're up to 6 walks so far. No HBP though!

Bah, hoped we might get that one, but couldn't overturn the call on the field. Quite the extended review. Anyway, 9–1 Dukes.

A fitting end...Spiders get 3 in the top of the 8th but JMU puts up 4 in the bottom of the frame while we only manage one out, and the mercy rule goes into effect.

14–4 loss. 13 walks and 6 wild pitches. No HBPs though!

I have to admit that I don’t follow Spiders baseball closely, but I keep seeing all of these games where opponents are scoring double digits. How is our pitching so bad? Are they on scholarship? Should they be? Are we using position players?

Why do you take out a pitcher in 7th who pitches one inning and goes 3 up 3 down and we close gap
to 10-4 then in 8 th with new pitcher with poor control and barely gets an out then gives up 4 runs and 10 run
rule goes into effect. Our pitching staff must really suck to have throw so many different pitchers per game.

I pitched for UR from 1969-72 and have followed the program for over 50 years thereafter. Have con sistenty been a financial backer as well. Without a doubt this is by far the worst pitching staff I have ever seen in the program. Can't understand it. I don't blame Mik, he just inherited this mess. Sure hope he can dig us out of this hole in the next few years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT