ADVERTISEMENT

@SLU Game thread 8pm Wed - ESPN+

This team just continues to play solid, wow! If there was going to be a let up game, worried this might be it. Okay a bad St Louis team but just taking to them on their court.

Maybe someone has has seen more UR ball than me, but never seen a better OUTSIDE shooter from game 1 to now than Jordan King! I mean seeing 3PTer all season long made that are contested to boot.

This team just continues to play solid, wow! If there was going to be a let up game, worried this might be it. Okay a bad St Louis team but just taking to them on their court.

Maybe someone has has seen more UR ball than me, but never seen a better OUTSIDE shooter from game 1 to now than Jordan King! I mean seeing 3PTer all season long made that are contested to boot.
Johnny Newman could fill it up.

To take nothing away from KING. Bob McCurdy was the best pure shooter I’ve ever seen. However he played before the three point shot so impossible to compare

Reactions: urfan1
Nice road win. All starters in double figures. Love reading all the chicken little "the sky is falling " comments by posters during the game. We man handled them in the 2Q.

King is having a terrific season, but in conference he might be having the best season of any player since we joined the A10. He is averaging over 20 points a game and shooting 47.4% from 3 on high volume.

Nice road win. All starters in double figures. Love reading all the chicken little "the sky is falling " comments by posters during the game. We man handled them in the 2Q.
Sorry dude, I think it is time for you too start the only positive thoughts , Mooney is God board for you 4700 and one or two others. That will be a hell of a party. And I didn't see sky is falling. Good second half by Quinn. We are going to need that all game vs VCU if moon wants to go avoid 0-2.

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Was wondering if there would be a chance for him to come home too, especially with Ford likely getting canned. But they said both of his parents went to vcu. Bah. And I'm guessing if he leaves, he's going somewhere higher than the A-10.

Caught the replay tonight. Loved the good 10 minutes in the 2nd half to put this game away against a truly dreadful SLU team. When it was 5-5 early on, I was wondering how we were not already up 10, SLU just kept handing the ball over. Jordan King is just terrific. A10 refs are not.

Someone mentioned above in this thread, but I think is spot on - Quinn is a confidence player. He started 0-3 on some questionable finesse mid range shots, got in his own head and basically stopped looking to attack until the 2nd half. Getting him off on the right foot on offense is really important, even though he mostly needs to be set up. His back to the basket game is just not great - he doesn't use his size and settles rather than using his bulk to counteract his lack of athleticism. It's not the best option UR has - I know this - but UR needs a consistent 2nd option to Jordan and I think it's needed to focus Neal for the entire game. At one point Moon grabbed him by the jersey during a timeout in the first half, looked like to re-focus him.

The SLU announcer said a pretty spot on comment, something like you don't want to play pretty vs Richmond, you need to grind it out on both ends. It's true. Those teams give UR the most trouble. Even when Jimerson somehow was open and scored 9 straight in the first half, I was still 99% confident we would win bc SLU had no discipline on either end and I knew UR would get the looks they want. Looking ahead, VCU will do that grind, they always do. (I know, new coach/players, etc but until they do not grind, I expect it.)

Downside of the game for me was SLU grabbing what felt like 8-10 offensive boards, all which felt like they ended in points, many in dunks. I do hope at some point in the future, UR can get a guy who can play forward alongside a center, who can shoot but also has a modicum of athleticism and size/bulk. Bigs with 20 more pounds. Multiple times tonight I thought UR was a bit flatfooted when SLU shot, not ready to go after boards. Harris did do a good job in his minutes there.

Take the win, move on. Go Spiders.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Interesting to hear during the broadcast that Jimmerson did not have a Richmond offer. I know we have discussed him on here before. He has another year of eligibility apparently. We will need some outside shooting with King gone.
He looked really impressive inside and outside. He’d be a great get for us.

I love your undying support of the team and coaches, and many of your insightful comments. But so many of your posts are complaints about other posters. No matter how good or bad the game is, you always start off by dissing others here. We're all diehard Spiders, so lose the hate.

I usually try deep breathing and 15 year old Scotch.....

How was that an offensive foul on King
SLU player runs into King, King recovers his balance and attempts to go up court, SLU player blocks his progress and King gets whistled for the foul. SLU player had a weak smile but didn't appear he expected that call.............and neither did anyone else.

Was on a flight last night so didn't get to watch the game but I think I got the idea of the flow of the game based on the comments here, seeing some things that seem to be commented on nearly every game 😂

Convincing road win over a bad team, I'll take that. This next hire for SLU better be a home run or they are in pretty big trouble.

Reactions: Eight Legger
My observations: 1. The offense is a waste of time when the players just go through the motions. The offense works great when our players our cutting and running hard- second half last night was a great example- so many layups due to working hard and hustling- good to see that energy in the second half of a game. 2. Quinn is a scoring threat when he takes shots in the lane- like in the second half- we need that! He shouldn't always look to pass. 3. St. Louis has talent, but I feel like they were just not consistent. Ezewiro is a beast! He's so strong around the basket. Did he make that amazing block on King's breakaway? Some say it was goal tending- I would need to watch again. Most impressive was Ezewiro's sportsmanship after the game- seems like a really nice guy.

I feel like we played really well ... but when King shoots like that we'll always look good.
Quinn played a great all around offensive game after a slow start. floaters were falling.

Ezewiro is tough, and Jimerson is a stud. I vaguely remember his name in recruiting but I think that year we only had one spot and it went to Burton? can't argue with Burton of course, but hate missing a Richmond kid like that.

We had space for Jimerson, but he didn't want to stay home. He unofficially visited both us and VCU.

Burton was our only incoming frosh that year, but we also brought in Crabtree in the spring and even then still had an unfilled spot.

Reactions: urfan1
King was on another level last night (again). That was a POY performance he put on.

I was impressed in the second half when we went on our run and opened up a 15 point lead that we did not go into show off/street ball game that we sometimes do when we get a big lead. Instead we continued to run the offense through Quinn, allowing for him to both distribute and make some shots in the paint.

Side note, Tynne. I love everything about his game, except his three ball. Yeah, he made one last night, but that is still a low percentage shot for him and he a much better scorer when he is driving it into the lane and using his quickness.

SLU is completely undisciplined. They play little defense and as someone noted they played right into our hands when they were on offense by firing up quick shots. Don't know how Ford survives. They have talent that is for sure but man the coaching is really suspect.

We had space for Jimerson, but he didn't want to stay home. He unofficially visited both us and VCU.

Burton was our only incoming frosh that year, but we also brought in Crabtree in the spring and even then still had an unfilled spot.
I think that Crabtree spot opened up when Schneider left the program at the end of 2018.
Jimerson was already committed to SLU. not sure about the other opening. Ford? Verbinskis? some other miss?

Quinn played a good offensive half, not a good full game. But that was when everything opened up too. Him being a cog in that offensive system where he’s a threat to score opens up cutting lanes and keeps his man from sagging/overhelping.

Our 3 point shooting is basically King and Bigelow. Other guys may make 1 a game but Dji is not really a threat, Tyne shoots poorly, Hunt is streaky but essentially average, Harris a corner guy every other game and Quinn and Walz attempt one every 4 games.
So yeah, we do need King to shoot well to look good, it’s why when teams gameplan him with big guards, we need to mix up pace and get hime extra looks not in our usual sets.

Reactions: gospidersgo
I think that Crabtree spot opened up when Schneider left the program at the end of 2018.
Jimerson was already committed to SLU. not sure about the other opening. Ford? Verbinskis? some other miss?
Pretty sure we wanted Jimerson. Think he wanted to get out of RVA for college. He would have been a perfect fit here for sure.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT