ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: UR vs Siena 11/11

CH_Spider

Assistant Coach
Nov 11, 2019
Colonial Heights, VA
Game Thread for the Siena game on Saturday night
8:00 ESPN+

The Saints pulled out an opening night win over Holy Cross (73-71). They had 3 players in double figures. Eley (24), Tekin (16), & Emejuru (11). As a team, they shot 45% from the floor (7-18 from 3pt range). I don't know much else about them as a program, so I'm excited to see how this one pans out.

Reactions: Long Island Spiders
Looks Like 6'10" Gribben and 6'11" Emejuru played played 34 and 21 minutes respectively, so some of that was together.

It also appears that Holy Cross took there first lead at 71-70 before losing 71-73.

Only thing else interesting from last night was Siena had 8 blocks.

Looks Like 6'10" Gribben and 6'11" Emejuru played played 34 and 21 minutes respectively, so some of that was together.

It also appears that Holy Cross took there first lead at 71-70 before losing 71-73.

Only thing else interesting from last night was Siena had 8 blocks.
I like Neal kicking it out. But lets be honest as well - Neal, an A10 player and preseason all-conference selection should be able to score as well against Siena talent, no matter how tall they are. I like Quinn's passing, and VMI was just bad and King was scoring - but we all know deep down - we need Neal to be a 15 point a night guy AND good passer and rebounder for this team to succeed just a little bit.

Reactions: urfan1
I like Neal kicking it out. But lets be honest as well - Neal, an A10 player and preseason all-conference selection should be able to score as well against Siena talent, no matter how tall they are. I like Quinn's passing, and VMI was just bad and King was scoring - but we all know deep down - we need Neal to be a 15 point a night guy AND good passer and rebounder for this team to succeed just a little bit.
I am saying if Siena plays the same players the same minutes as the first game, then Neal will likely be double teamed by guys nearly his height for a third of the game. Scoring against that would be great, someone else being open seems more likely.

With Jordan and D-Lo playing downhill and always looking to attack I think we may see Neal's ppg go down a little. Like a lot on here have already mentioned our guard play was better and def different from last year, which is a good thing. If Neal plays like he did Monday consistently he will be fine. I still think there will be games where he can be dominant at center.

Last edited:
No sellout for Siena? Isn't Siena in NY - don't we have a lot of kids from NY? Does that mean they will show up to root against their NY team - of course not.

I realize u r being a little facetious but our NYers come mainly from Westchester County or Long Island not Albany.

Siena is no draw. Also, I think CH was looking at general admission tix availability not students. Not sure we have any way to know about student tix. Assume they can just show up unless they claim in advance.

Sat night w football game lead in, I'll be happy if we bust over 6k. But I'd take the under in the NCAAB betting thread.

I am looking for another big win. King cools off (a little) but other guys step up.

On offense, I am feeling pretty good. I think we will have three really good options from 3 in King, Noyes, and Roche. I think Tyne could end up being another threat in their for 15 minutes a game.

I am looking for something in the range of 82-69 win. Let's keep the momentum. Siena currently sitting at 279 ranked in kenpom, so let's take care of business.

I realize u r being a little facetious but our NYers come mainly from Westchester County or Long Island not Albany.

Siena is no draw. Also, I think CH was looking at general admission tix availability not students. Not sure we have any way to know about student tix. Assume they can just show up unless they claim in advance.

Sat night w football game lead in, I'll be happy if we bust over 6k. But I'd take the under in the NCAAB betting thread.
In my 4 years (2012-2016) the only basketball games we had to reserve tickets for were VCU and the NIT home games. Every other game we just had to show up with our student ID

Should still be free walk-ups with a student ID, assuming this prominently linked page is still accurate (which may be presuming too much):

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Plenty of students at VMI game, but still empties. So more could have come.

In my 4 years (2012-2016) the only basketball games we had to reserve tickets for were VCU and the NIT home games. Every other game we just had to show up with our student ID
I should also clarify that the group I went with was usually among the first ones there for every game. So as it got closer to tip I’m not sure how things were handled and when the student section was considered sold out.

I can only remember twice in 4 years not being in that very front section almost beneath the basket. Always on the right side so we were closer to the away team bench. Minnesota may have beat us but Richard Pitino went through hell that night

Good point Bullfrog - Albany is far away from NYC/NJ area where we draw most kids and alumni go to work. I do remember us having the biggest cheering section at the Barclays during the A10 tourney because of that strong support.

Siena has lost 3 of their top players heading into this season, leaving the bench guys and transfers to have to step up this year. Similar to us, they lost two super seniors and their former top scorer is now starting at Oklahoma.

They're coming fresh off a tight win over Holy Cross, surviving a late 11-1 charge from a team picked 4th in the Patriot League preseason poll.

Players to look out for: Michael Eley (So) and Giovanni Emejuru (So)

As a freshman, Eley was an asset off the bench, averaging 9.4 PPG, though inconsistent shooting plagued him and kept him out of the regular starting 5. Now, he has his chance to lead the team in his sophomore season, and got off to a great start vs Holy Cross with 24 points, 3-7 from 3, and adding 11 boards. He looks shifty from the tape, and has a pure stroke on his 3, so he could provide some challenge on the perimeter (Plus, he had a nice one handed dunk late so he has that in the arsenal)

Emejuru, a transfer from Sam Houston, will pose a great challenge for Quinn throughout the game, and if Quinn isn't careful, could get him into foul trouble. He is a big man, with the physical strength to overpower Quinn and could see him being a bit of a pest. His connection with Eley was shown in their first game of the season as well, so look for that duo (with a splash of Tekin's quickness inside) to cause some trouble

How Richmond can win:

Stop Eley, especially from deep. He's a major threat and deserves our best defensive attention. Would love to see Hunt and/or Dji matched up on him throughout to give him some trouble and make him distribute. Eley is far less efficient inside the arc.

Rebounding will be key as well in this one. They're a shorter lineup, so we have to win on the boards, and they will miss shots so we have to capitalize on those chances.

Last edited:
Couple of defensive lapses, but generally a solid start. Very active on both ends.

Someone needs to coach our bigs not to cock the ball back before going up for a layup/dunk. Been blocked multiple times because guys are winding up.

Reactions: spider23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT