ADVERTISEMENT

Florida Gators Game thread - Sat ~4pm SEC Sports Network

I don't know if Hunt is any better than Tyne....that is worrisome......can we run all three at once?!?

ohhh well, off to do something productive, until next time....still think we have a decent A10 team...

Reactions: BOSRIC
Yep FTs are tough, when u start thinking too much, it's hard.
It's def on his mind. I feel kinda bad for him bc I know he's working on it and like you or someone mentioned he was clutch last yr so we know he can.

on tv it looks like if the basket is 12 oclock, his elbow points at 2.
Yeah it does... Something he can go back and watch and hopefully figure it out. We will def work on it over the break. I do think a lot of it now is in his head. It's his only inconsistency so far this season. Get that figured out and he's in good shape.

I think it’s mental with him right now. He knows he has to be better and has been in gym every night working on it.
He is playing well overall.

Looks to me like he is "pulling the string" as he let's it go. Typically, pulling the string is a confidence (mental) thing as you say. Seems that he is "hoping" it will go in at this point. As stated regarding Roche, we sometimes try too hard to FORCE our struggle to get better, which often causes unintentional and unknowing mechanical changes.

Do not aim a free throw. Success will return when he returns to rhythmic muscle memory shooting - just like he has done thousands of times thru the years. Expect it to go in (and really believe it) and the numbers will go up. If I were him I would shoot a couple of hundred free throws a day (2 @ a time - 20 in a series) (tracking his % of makes) until he gets the muscle memory rhythm back on track. Take the pressure off of his self & just play. It isn't as easy as it sounds, but I believe these are the things that are going to work.

Everyone on this site is rooting for him.

I had zero expectations that we could win this game, so not even upset about it 🤷🏽‍♂️
Mooney coached teams make decent teams look really good. He has a tendency to bring out the best in opponents at our level or better. Look at both games this week vs NI and Florida. We still remain in the pattern of beating up on the Little Sisters Of the Poor but can’t ever get a win on avg / decent / slightly better teams. It’s a predictable pattern.

My take from watching much of the game, except when I had to leave to pick up my son:
I like Dji starting
Shuttle runs or something painful for missed free throws
Tyne is going to be a good one
Bigelow needs to grow some big ones quickly to finish at the basket
Roche is back

I ‘ll add I haven’t read any of this thread yet beyond the pre-game stuff, so sorry if I’m beating any dead horses. Also want to add for SpiderDad that I’m loving getting to see Dji’s full game. Great confidence and aggressiveness and the size and athleticism to turn that into points.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
I ‘ll add I haven’t read any of this thread yet beyond the pre-game stuff, so sorry if I’m beating any dead horses. Also want to add for SpiderDad that I’m loving getting to see Dji’s full game. Great confidence and aggressiveness and the size and athleticism to turn that into points.
🙏🏼 I’m so happy for him to be able to show what his mom and I always knew he could do.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Worth noting. Going into today’s game Florida was averaging 10 more rebounds than competition in prior games.Against a Mooney coached team that doesn’t stress rebounding, it was evident that would be a factor in play. Today Florida was plus 19 on the boards. That’s 9 more than the Florida avg. I know I know - rebounding highly overrated.

I just think some guys looked scared and that led to playing soft. I think we have toughness too.
Agreed about softness as maybe Harris should come in sooner and we did miss some close in shots
and did not get some fouls going to the hoop. In replay on Dji’s dunk effort the guy got his wrist along w/ the
ball. Dji, Harris and Bigelow are our toughest defenders and Mike Walz plays tough. Wish Tyne was few inches taller
since bigger guards post him up a lot. Knew Gators were going to be tough matchup

Shhhh don’t talk him up 😂 and remember he saw all he needed to see🫠
Actually, I am still a little concerned I was right offensively. I hope not, but why I am being attacked after a 31 minute, 4 point (1-4 from the floor, 2-5 from the FT line) performance? His defense was good and I loved seeing him get the steals today, but is this how it is going to be after every game now? You and others commenting on me about Dji? I have said more than once Dji was off to a great start this year, and I was happy for both him and you, so it just seems a little strange to post all of this after today's game. But, whatever.

Reactions: urfan1
Worth noting. Going into today’s game Florida was averaging 10 more rebounds than competition in prior games.Against a Mooney coached team that doesn’t stress rebounding, it was evident that would be a factor in play. Today Florida was plus 19 on the boards. That’s 9 more than the Florida avg. I know I know - rebounding highly overrated.
Our attitude towards offensive rebounding is ridiculous and borders on idiotic. I will never understand.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I attended the original Richmond vs Florida, orange bowl classic. It was a thrilling victory for Spiders. Obviously, many more Gator fans than Spider fans. However, many Miami fans stated for our game, and they were cheering for the Spiders. We have a winning record against SEC foes, but a loss, evens our series.
Was at the game today and there were a decent amount of FSU fans wiling to stay and cheer us on.

Easiest free beers in my life I got when I told them the the CFB screwed them.

Our attitude towards offensive rebounding is ridiculous and borders on idiotic. I will never understand.
so the basic premise I understand about. not giving up essentially free points in transition. But when a team like UF gets 19 offensive rebounds against you, how many extra points does that give them? Maybe more - a lot more - than the transition points you're defending against, so maybe it can be worthwhile to crash the boards?

How many 2nd chance points do we generate vs. how many opponents generate AND THEN compare vs how many transition points we give up vs transition points we generate. Those are the stats I would like to see. EDIT: to clarify this a bit, it's basically if a team like UF is crashing off. boards hard, by Moon's philosophy, we should be generating easy transition points, bc they've compromised themselves. Are we generating those easy points vs the points they're getting by crashing off. boards?.

If we were a stellar defensive rebounding team it would be a different story. But we're not and never really have been under Moon.

BTW .500 now, so expect a win next game. Gotta keep .550 pace. It's the only true thing.

I like Dji starting

Tyne is going to be a good one

Roche is back
I think Dji has played better coming off the bench. He has been playing “starters minutes”, so does actual starting matter?. His aggressiveness is nice to see, but if he can’t hit the FTs then it seems like wasted effort. I am sure Mooney started him because of Florida’s size. Since the level of competition is lower in the rest of the OOC schedule, I would guess the starting lineup may change some more till the start of conference play. Does seem like a strange choice to praise Dji after this particular game.

No doubt Tyne is going to be a good one. I would say he already is. Can’t coach size, so all he can do is to try to knock the ball away early. Definitely gaining confidence every game.

Roche had a couple of makes in the first half and then was forgotten and/or Florida adjusted and didn’t allow him to shoot (I just get easily confused as I didn’t think adjustments were allowed in pure basketball /s). Hoping he can continue to put the ball in the basket and can figure out ways to get shots when “plan A” is taken away.

Other comment - Need more consistency from Quinn. Getting same shots but missing when playing higher level programs. Needs confidence.

so the basic premise I understand about. not giving up essentially free points in transition. But when a team like UF gets 19 offensive rebounds against you, how many extra points does that give them? Maybe more - a lot more - than the transition points you're defending against, so maybe it can be worthwhile to crash the boards?

How many 2nd chance points do we generate vs. how many opponents generate AND THEN compare vs how many transition points we give up vs transition points we generate. Those are the stats I would like to see. EDIT: to clarify this a bit, it's basically if a team like UF is crashing off. boards hard, by Moon's philosophy, we should be generating easy transition points, bc they've compromised themselves. Are we generating those easy points vs the points they're getting by crashing off. boards?.

If we were a stellar defensive rebounding team it would be a different story. But we're not and never really have been under Moon.

BTW .500 now, so expect a win next game. Gotta keep .550 pace. It's the only true thing.
The philosophy sucks. That's it. Most teams play normal basketball and try to rebound on both ends of the court, and surprise! They aren't giving up 100 transition points every game. Neither would we. Mooney is trying to outsmart the room, and we've seen 19 years of results to suggest this is not an effective strategy if winning is the goal.

OK I am ready to be called crazy! Spiders for majority of first half rebounded well with Florida but in the
middle of the second half started giving up multiple second chances on consecutive trips down the floor
that made the spread look like it did. I would have liked us to be a little more patient on offense and run
defenders through few more screens. We got double teamed several times in the corner which lead to a
bad pass. The good thing is we did not give in, we fought and were scrappy. Take away close missed shots,
11-19 FTs and it could have been a toss up.

I think Dji has played better coming off the bench. He has been playing “starters minutes”, so does actual starting matter?. His aggressiveness is nice to see, but if he can’t hit the FTs then it seems like wasted effort. I am sure Mooney started him because of Florida’s size. Since the level of competition is lower in the rest of the OOC schedule, I would guess the starting lineup may change some more till the start of conference play. Does seem like a strange choice to praise Dji after this particular game.

No doubt Tyne is going to be a good one. I would say he already is. Can’t coach size, so all he can do is to try to knock the ball away early. Definitely gaining confidence every game.

Roche had a couple of makes in the first half and then was forgotten and/or Florida adjusted and didn’t allow him to shoot (I just get easily confused as I didn’t think adjustments were allowed in pure basketball /s). Hoping he can continue to put the ball in the basket and can figure out ways to get shots when “plan A” is taken away.

Other comment - Need more consistency from Quinn. Getting same shots but missing when playing higher level programs. Needs confidence.
Does seem like a strange choice to praise Dji after this particular game.

Scoring isn’t everything…there are a lot on here that are getting caught up bc a player is scoring in bunches. That doesn’t mean they are taking great shots, playing great or making the right play either. 4 pts isn’t anything to write home about but I would suggest look at all the other things that he does and how the team runs when he’s out there. He been one of our most consistent all round guys this season. I know you guys don’t believe in the coaches but they feel the same way and as far as him starting, don’t understand the issue that some on here have with it. He’s earned that spot and def wasn’t a handout. We still have a long season ahead and think this team can be really good in the Conf.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8legs1dream
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT