ADVERTISEMENT

Davidson Game Thread - 4pm Saturday ESPN+

I caught that. it doesn't seem to have helped us any. But they were pretty bad on both ends of the court, so all's well that ends well.

Reactions: 72Spider

Paused this at the start - all 5 Davidson players crashed in on Neal, leaving King wide open for 3.

Congrats to the guys on the gutsy win tonight and keeping this fun run going.

Just watched the game on replay, as I've done a bunch lately to fit my schedule, what a tense game. I definitely thought UR was the better team, but DC got more aggressive the last 6 minutes while UR went into its classic endgame. Thankfully Bigelow hit a big shot and the defense stepped up late.

Why DC didn't double King late 2nd half and especially OT and deny him the ball makes me thing McKillop Jr. may not be as good as his dad.

Gutty win. Some really great stretches of play. Some really awful offensive struggles (4 shot clock violations? 5? 3 of them in front of our own bench? DC was not a particularly physical team, those were baffling decisions on the court.) Neal missing front end of a 1-1 at the 5m mark of regulation and that layup in OT...he has to make those, simply has to. The points are just too valuable with the style UR is playing.

Spiders continue to walk a razor thin line and come out ahead.

We need more offensive options when things get tough late. It's always been an issue under Moon (unless KA was on team) but in this game, the last 13 minutes of play Jordan King scored all the UR points except for that clutch Bigelow 3. I'm fine letting King shoot 75% of the time down the stretch honestly, but I'm also pretty sure an opposing coach will figure that out soon and start forcing the ball out of his hands. Dji's plays last game were so huge, he's probably my 2nd option these days.

Take it and run. Go Spiders.

Just watched the game on replay, as I've done a bunch lately to fit my schedule, what a tense game. I definitely thought UR was the better team, but DC got more aggressive the last 6 minutes while UR went into its classic endgame. Thankfully Bigelow hit a big shot and the defense stepped up late.

Why DC didn't double King late 2nd half and especially OT and deny him the ball makes me thing McKillop Jr. may not be as good as his dad.

Gutty win. Some really great stretches of play. Some really awful offensive struggles (4 shot clock violations? 5? 3 of them in front of our own bench? DC was not a particularly physical team, those were baffling decisions on the court.) Neal missing front end of a 1-1 at the 5m mark of regulation and that layup in OT...he has to make those, simply has to. The points are just too valuable with the style UR is playing.

We need more offensive options when things get tough late. It's always been an issue under Moon (unless KA was on team) but in this game, the last 13 minutes of play Jordan King scored all the UR points except for that clutch Bigelow 3. I'm fine letting King shoot 75% of the time down the stretch honestly, but I'm also pretty sure an opposing coach will figure that out soon and start forcing the ball out of his hands. Dji's plays last game were so huge, he's probably my 2nd option these days.

Gosh Soo glad your not coaching!

Reactions: gcarter52

I'm happy you're not teaching English.
I’m with you Sandbridge, I understand what you were saying. The officiating played a major reason for our disjointed play, we still refused continue to affect us. We played tough and with confidence. Go Spiders!

Gosh Soo glad your not coaching!
We won, I'm happy. Guys battled hard, especially on defense.

At this point I don't know what the offensive endgame plan is other than ball screen for King and let him cook. I'm fine with that, as I said.

It was by no means a perfect game, so expect that longtime fans who pay attention may want to talk about the good and the bad of the game. It's a message board, we're here to discuss. Or, you can just keep hitting that hard return on every sentence and be frustrated with open discussion. Your choice.

Doesn’t matter. We aren’t getting at at large bid with how terribly we performed in our OOC schedule. We were missing hunt and we are clearly a better team with him, but the committee won’t even know that in March. Play for pride. Play to win the A10.
Sheesh, you’re Wrong. 14-4 and no bad loses and we’re in business. Win over Dayton would be HUGE there’s a path without it.

Sheesh, you’re Wrong. 14-4 and no bad loses and we’re in business. Win over Dayton would be HUGE there’s a path without it.
Don't forget they have reduced number of at-large spots for nonP6 teams.

Some people just need to find something to find fault to complain about!🕸️🕷️, thanks fellows for your determination,grit and toughness in never giving up!!!
I've always said if you ever take away the right to complain from humans, they will REALLY Complain! Humans LOVE to complain!

Very good and on point. Like your posts cause you provide substance to support your premises.

My biggest takeaway was that 1) their center hit 5 of 8 uncontested 3 pointers from the top of the key. How many does he need to hit before CM makes adjustments? 2) in the second half a non physical DC scored a boatload of layups. Need to do better job of defending against layups.

Our defense has been good as of late, but these 2 points created a much closer game than should have been. We were clearly the better team but giving away too many preventable points allowed Davidson to stay in the game.

As I pointed out in earlier post, Dayton is a team loaded with good talent. They hit 16 3’s yesterday. If we give them the same opportunities we gave Davidson, they will drain way too many points from 3.

Last edited:
Very good and on point. Like your posts cause you provide substance to support your premises.

My biggest takeaway was that 1) their center hit 5 of 8 uncontested 3 pointers from the top of the key. How many does he need to hit before CM makes adjustments? 2) in the second half a non physical DC scored a boatload of layups. Need to do better job of defending against layups.

Our defense has been good as of late, but these 2 points created a much closer game than should have been. We were clearly the better team but giving away too many preventable points allowed Davidson to stay in the game.

As I pointed out in earlier post, Dayton is a team loaded with good talent. They hit 16 3’s yesterday. If we give them the same opportunities we gave Davidson, they will drain way too many points from 3.
SG there was a particular play set that gave us fits and that involved their center setting a high pick around top of key then 1 or 2 more players lining up behind the center to screen any help defense. The PG would rub his defender off the center (42) and then either go for a layup or if our center tried to help, he would pass back to 42 for uncontested 3. It was a difficult play to defend. Walz and Quinn needed to hedge more at times or our defenders force the PG to the left. 42 may have had an exceptional shooting night and we were more worried about him passing to cutters. Davidson runs the best offensive sets of anyone with high basketball IQs.

happy with 5-0. Just fun to prognosticate on a message board. You down for a bet LI Spiders? I’ll bet if we are 14-4 we get into the field. Again it’s one game at a time but I just believe there’s a path with that kind of record

If you remember the 2019-2020 season, we had an incredible team. One that I think had real final four chances.

We were 24-7, beat Wisconsin in Brooklyn and played both Auburn and Dayton tightly. And I remember thinking we needed a win or two in the A10 tournament to really lock down an at large spot.

The resume of this team, particularly if we lose another four games, does not come even close to that team. The lack of Q1 wins will really hurt us if we are on the bubble.

You all know I’d pray and hope we get in. Frankly, one of the more outrageous things that happens in all of sports every year is how many bad teams the Big10 gets into the tournament.

But that’s our reality right now.

Our defense against 3s currently ranks 22nd in the country. In addition, our overall defense efficiency ranks 39th. In our 3 in conference away games we have averaged giving up 60 points a game. Our defense has been outstanding and ranks 1st in the A10.

I’m with you Sandbridge, I understand what you were saying. The officiating played a major reason for our disjointed play, we still refused continue to affect us. We played tough and with confidence. Go Spiders!
I'm happy you're not teaching English.
You think that’s bad , You should have seen
me in statistics 😎

Our defense against 3s currently ranks 22nd in the country. In addition, our overall defense efficiency ranks 39th. In our 3 in conference away games we have averaged giving up 60 points a game. Our defense has been outstanding and ranks 1st in the A10.
Did you actually watch the game and are willing to use statistical data to refute how badly their center burned us from out in 3 point land and how many second half layups we allowed? C’mon now - sometimes what actually took place on the floor may not fit your statistical narrative, and yesterday was a prime example.

Did you actually watch the game and are willing to use statistical data to refute how badly their center burned us from out in 3 point land and how many second half layups we allowed? C’mon now - sometimes what actually took place on the floor may not fit your statistical narrative, and yesterday was a prime example.
Yes, we gave up 64 points in total in a game that went to overtime. We held them to 37.5% shooting and 30.8% from 3s. We out rebounded them 43 to 38 and we had 9 steals verses their 4. Only one person on their team shot over 50%. We won the game because of defense.

Last edited:
Yes, we gave up 64 point in total in a game that went to overtime. We held them to 37.5% shooting and 30.8% from 3s. We out rebounded them 43 to 38 and we had 9 steals verses their 4. Only one person on their team shot over 50%. We won the game because of defense.
We are light years better on defense than the past few years.

Yes, we gave up 64 point in total in a game that went to overtime. We held them to 37.5% shooting and 30.8% from 3s. We out rebounded them 43 to 38 and we had 9 steals verses their 4. Only one person on their team shot over 50%. We won the game because of defense.
Skogman hit 5 of 8 from 3 point land beyond the foul line and uncontested. If we’d have actually covered him, we’d have never gone into overtime. Instead we gave him 15 points. That’s a stat you should think about. I’m telling you - if we don’t adapt on that vs Dayton, we’ll get burned worse. I doubt Anthony Grant cares about our stats.

Skogman hit 5 of 8 from 3 point land beyond the foul line and uncontested. If we’d have actually covered him, we’d have never gone into overtime. Instead we gave him 15 points. That’s a stat you should think about. I’m telling you - if we don’t adapt on that vs Dayton, we’ll get burned worse. I doubt Anthony Grant cares about our stats.
So our defense sucks if one player gets 15 points? As I mentioned before, we rank 22nd nationally in 3 point defense. Dayton will be hard to beat, but it will not be because we have a bad defense,

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT