ADVERTISEMENT

Florida Gators Game thread - Sat ~4pm SEC Sports Network

Problem for us is that the other team is pretty much ALWAYS better unless we are playing at home or against a garbage opponent.

Here's an example of something that we've literally never done under Mooney: Southern went to Mississippi State (ranked 21st) and won last week. Southern is 2-6, clearly much worse than a ranked SEC opponent. But they won. We've never had a win like that under Mooney on the road, ever! Our program's attitude seems to be that we should never expect that kind of win, but it's happening every single week somewhere.

Last edited:
Problem for us is that the other team is pretty much ALWAYS better unless we are playing at home or against a garbage opponent.

Here's an example of something that we've literally never done under Mooney: Southern went to Mississippi State (ranked 21st) and won last week. Southern is 2-6, clearly much worse than a ranked SEC opponent. But they won. We've never had a win like that under Mooney on the road, ever! Our program's attitude seems to be that we should never expect that kind of win, but it's happening every single week somewhere.
Not sure if it is just a Spiders problem or an A10 problem. The league is stronger this year, so they say, but it is going to be rare if an A10 team goes on the road and steals a win versus a favored opponent.

Lots of potential on the Spiders roster, it just needs to be maximized.

Does seem like a strange choice to praise Dji after this particular game.

Scoring isn’t everything…there are a lot on here that are getting caught up bc a player is scoring in bunches. That doesn’t mean they are taking great shots, playing great or making the right play either. 4 pts isn’t anything to write home about but I would suggest look at all the other things that he does and how the team runs when he’s out there. He been one of our most consistent all round guys this season. I know you guys don’t believe in the coaches but they feel the same way and as far as him starting, don’t understand the that some on here have with it. He’s earned that spot and def wasn’t a handout. We still have a long season ahead and think this team can be really good in the Conf.
I am simply saying that this particular game was not one where Dji stood out to me in a praiseworthy way. Not undermining his effort (I mentioned it) nor his resolve and glad he stuck with it. As far as starting, I think that is window dressing. Noyes started quite a few games, but only played perhaps 10 minutes (not spending time figuring out exact playing time), so exactly how important was starting? Earning a spot means total playing time to me. I simply think Dji coming in as the 6th man and adding energy and a different look is a better for the team based on my observations in the games to date. This doesn’t mean Dji doesn’t have the talent to start, just means I don’t think him starting is a difference maker.

Reactions: SpiderDad75

Yep great points. Seems like the PQ/Jabba/mooniocrity defeatist attitude is just rampant throughout the fan base, program, admin. BC is a better example. We really just think BC is soooo great bc they are in the ACC. Cmon.

Reactions: 8legs1dream

Kentucky was #10 when we beat them. You can downplay it all you want, but at the time, they were 10th and it very much a "win like that". Also, we have won @ASU, @ Seton Hall, and have won @ Wake a couple times. And, it's not like we have a ton of opportunities with true OOC road games against teams you say are "like that" anyway.

And, if you are using the Floida game (neutral site) as an example of us "never" winning a game like this, what about our wins against Wisconsin, or Cal, or Purdue?

Last edited:
Disagree about the defense. It wasn’t great the entire game but was still decent and Florida hit tough shots. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Every team hits tough shots. Good players will. King hits tough shots. I remember a baseline fadeaway Bigs hit in 1st half that he’d normally make maybe 30% of time.

I will say Florida made 2 lucky 3s in 1st half. Not tough shots but lucky how they went in.

But overall our team defense has been quite poor the last 2 games imo.

Reactions: whampas
My observations:
1. FL is a better team than UR, so levelsetting that
2. Our defense was underwhelming. Needs to be better to win a game like that.
3. Frustrating seeing the missed free throws.
4. I desperately want someone to coach Bigelow to stop the turn around and fadeaway jumpers; those are low percentage shots for any player, and I don’t see him as an overly accurate jump shooter. Please go inside.
5. Quinn Quinn Quinn. Killin’ me with the soft misses.
6. I look forward one day to having a team that tries to rebound at both ends. So frustrating.

Last edited:
I think it’s mental with him right now. He knows he has to be better and has been in gym every night working on it.
I don't doubt this at all. I just hope "Working on it" means changing his form to get his elbow under the ball. Otherwise, all the work in the world won't result in marked, sustained improvement.

I recognize no one is going to take the word of some clown on a message board, but I'm 100% certain I'm right.

I don't doubt this at all. I just hope "Working on it" means changing his form to get his elbow under the ball. Otherwise, all the work in the world won't result in marked, sustained improvement.

I recognize no one is going to take the word of some clown on a message board, but I'm 100% certain I'm right.
We’ve had a number of players over the years with bad free throw form. I’ll refrain from names, but anyone who has has been long term fans can fill in the blanks. Seems like problem form carries through the season. Corrective strategy by Mooney?

I thought the team played their asses off. Disappointing to not win but it wasn’t for lack of effort. We may have lost, but this game left me feeling like we were a much better basketball team than I thought going in.

Last edited:
I thought the team played their asses off. Disappointing to not win but it wasn’t for lack of effort. We may have lost, but this game left me feeling like we were a much better basketball team than I thought going in.
I didn't watch the game to other commitments but listened to postgame, where Bob and Beck gave the whole moral victory treatment to the game. I obviously hate moral victories but seeing other posters, who are not Mooney suck-ups, praise aspects of our performance in a loss, maybe is something to build on.

I do think Florida is good so a lot of our offensive problems were due to their defense and size, but we take a lot of shots that analytics say not to take. King takes a lot of long contested 2's. Bigelow loves those turn around fading jumpers. we overlook it when they go in but those aren't great shots unless you're late in the clock.

yet even if we shot better than 16-41 from 2, it's tough to win when down 19 in rebounding totals. Florida is a very strong rebounding team. announcer said they've outrebounded 4 teams by 20 this year already. we need to rebound better, but I don't think we have the horses to match Florida.

great to see Tyne shoot like that from outside. Bigelow too.
Quinn missed a few inside but he played well all around.

We are who we thought we were!

We will beat lesser teams, especially at home. Better teams, we will stay with them for the most part as long as we get strong guard play and good game from Quinn/Bigelow.

We will beat the lower end A10 teams, probably have an upset or two where we think we have turned a corner, but then lose to middle-pack team. At the end of the day - we will end up right around .500 in the A10, maybe a game or two under.

The problem isn't losing to Florida. The problem is losing to almost EVERY team we have played away from home, including several that we absolutely had to have and should have had. And so, when you blow every opportunity leading up to a game like Florida, your margin for error becomes zero. If we had beaten BC and UNI, fine. We lost a close-ish game to Florida, it is what it is.

But now we have no chance at an at-large bid because there are not enough opportunities left, and that's not a place this program should be year in and year out in December. It just isn't.

Agree 100 EL, and said something similar in another post. While it would have been awesome to get one of Colorado or Florida, it ultimately did not happen and not the end of the world. But the BC game was a blown opportunity - Quinn pretty much crossed out their best player in Post - but we couldn't take advantage. Wichita, UNI, we needed to take care of business but couldn't do so.

Reactions: Eight Legger
The problem isn't losing to Florida. The problem is losing to almost EVERY team we have played away from home, including several that we absolutely had to have and should have had. And so, when you blow every opportunity leading up to a game like Florida, your margin for error becomes zero. If we had beaten BC and UNI, fine. We lost a close-ish game to Florida, it is what it is.

But now we have no chance at an at-large bid because there are not enough opportunities left, and that's not a place this program should be year in and year out in December. It just isn't.
Have to walk before you can run and beating teams like BC and UNI on the road would be the first step to showing that there could be other paths to the dance other than the autobid. But even if those required wins happen, there still needs to be a signature win and that means a win versus a P6 bubble team or better. So would need a Florida or Colorado win in addition and that is just for consideration. The Richmond program has a long way to go especially with the state of the A10 over the last few years.

Agree. This is an annual problem for Mooney. And as I look at the roster 3/5 to 4/5 of our starting line-up are seniors, so it's not like we have some young team that is just learning to play at college level. No, the main critical players on this team will all be gone next year and yet it is early December and at large consideration is over.

358: That's the Spiders team offensive rebounding ranking out of 362 teams! Until this system changes, it will be the same old results. How can you expect to win consistently when the offense retreats as soon as the shot goes up? How can a one-shot offense be expected to win at a consistent level? I have been asking this question for years. I can't wait for a change.

358: That's the Spiders team offensive rebounding ranking out of 362 teams! Until this system changes, it will be the same old results. How can you expect to win consistently when the offense retreats as soon as the shot goes up? How can a one-shot offense be expected to win at a consistent level? I have been asking this question for years. I can't wait for a change.
Yes, a thousand times. It borders on insanity. Idiotic at best.

We are also 350th in free throw attempt rate. Both stats have to do with not having players near the basket when we shoot. I wish Bigelow and others would drive more instead of settling for midrange jumpers. Dji is the only one who wants to get to the basket instead of pull up midrange, and he is also the one getting all the free throws.

358 out of 362. In any sport being this dismal in a key metric spells no post season.

Thought MBB was University of Richmond's signature sport. Any impartial observer looking at the last 18.5 years of results would never deduce that.

Says a lot about who our University is at the top. As a true fan makes you want to weep.

358 out of 362. In any sport being this dismal in a key metric spells no post season.

Thought MBB was University of Richmond's signature sport. Any impartial observer looking at the last 18.5 years of results would never deduce that.

Says a lot about who our University is at the top. As a true fan makes you want to weep.
Never going to change until we have a new coach. Moon is dug in on his rebounding giveaway philosophy. Hopefully if we ever get a new coach, that coach would never emulate Mooney’s game.

Reactions: urfan1

Well, Saturday should be interesting Charlotte starts a 6’11” and 6’10” and are 342.
even With an occasional 7 footer…

We are also 350th in free throw attempt rate. Both stats have to do with not having players near the basket when we shoot. I wish Bigelow and others would drive more instead of settling for midrange jumpers. Dji is the only one who wants to get to the basket instead of pull up midrange, and he is also the one getting all the free throws.
This is especially insane bc UR shot 32 FTs in the first game of the year vs VMI.

Are we 362 (last) since then in FT rate? Have to be close if not the worst to be 350 after that start.

Nine guys standing around with a finger on their noses saying "Not it" while the last guy grudgingly goes to pick it up...

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT