ADVERTISEMENT

1st game of the Brooklyn miracle - Game Thread Vs Mass

Goose and Nelson will have to show up if we have a chance to win anymore. They won this game without them today.

Reactions: urfan1
Congrats to the guys on extending their season. I know UMass isn't very good, but they won half their games this season, this wasn't going to just be given to us. Big time effort on defense and contributions from tons of guys. Hopefully tomorrow brings more of the same.

Amazing that the announcers don’t take a few minutes to familiarize themselves with the teams before the game.

Welcome to the Tyler Burton show!!
Tyler's really good and he was great defensively.
he was pretty average for him offensively but with heavy volume. he shot 50% from the floor, 25% from 3.

as a team we were obviously good defensively ... other than giving up 18(!) offensive boards.

I believe that's the third-fewest points we've given up in the Mooney era.

79–37 over The Citadel in the 2010–11 opener
62–36 over SLU in January 2010

Wow, that's one of the most dominating performances I've seen from us in a while. I really like being in the position to play Mason after losing two close ones to them earlier this season. We could be in for a little end of year fun - hopefully we keep playing loose with relatively low expecations over us.

Tyler's really good and he was great defensively.
he was pretty average for him offensively but with heavy volume. he shot 50% from the floor, 25% from 3.

as a team we were obviously good defensively ... other than giving up 18(!) offensive boards.
He is all we have

Wow, that's one of the most dominating performances I've seen from us in a while. I really like being in the position to play Mason after losing two close ones to them earlier this season. We could be in for a little end of year fun - hopefully we keep playing loose with relatively low expecations over us.
Judging from the first two games with them, as long as we can score 63 points, we will win.

Look for GMU to have their largest lead when they reach 50. Then we catch up. But this time can we hold onto the lead?

Burton's playing for his NBA draft life right now. He just put his team on his back. If we go far in this tournament, we should have him to thank, and that will bode well for his draft status.

But, as we know, Burton isn't going to have this type of a performance every game, and we won't play a team like UMass the rest of the tournament. We need the supporting cast to show up more than they have in recent games to help out their star. He's going to get fatigued, just like Gilyard did.

Good start, on to Mason. Let's hope third time's the charm!

Reactions: SpiderK
minor complaint and I know we had to secure the victory, but we didn't need to play Tyler 34 minutes today.
need to conserve minutes when we can. the only scenario that matters has us playing for 5 straight days.

5 of 6 days. Remember no games Friday. Did Burton even come out b4 the end of game sub when he was done for good? I don't think so. But yes I agree in that game he could have gotten less time it was well under control early in 2nd.

Reactions: spiderman
I realize they stick everyone in the lowest sections so arena looks fuller but from TV more ppl there than I expected.

Not to slight UR's performance today - especially Tyler's, as they did what was needed to be done - but that Umass effort was the worst performance I can remember by any A10 team in decades. Absolutely abysmal. A better offensive team than Richmond would have been up 30 at half, not 12. UR only cracked 50 at what, the 8 minute mark? Not exactly lighting it up - tons of awful turnovers especially early but man UMass was barely trying and couldn't string 2 passes together at times. Frank Martin is a clown, the UMass fans were right about him.

Marcus is not a PG - I understand the need for someone else at PG with Dji out, but he's pretty careless at times, both with passing and over-aggression (mostly bc he lacks a killer handle.)

Tyler played whole first half - understandable, and sure could have gotten another 2m breather in 2nd half, but I'd rather him get a breather just before the 8m timeout of the first half to be ready for end of half situations, as yet another disastrous end to a half, particularly post-timeout with just over a minute left.

GooMoos may suit up George Evans from what I hear. The mac and cheese will propel them to an easy victory tomorrow.

This UMass team is comically bad. And somehow we lost to them.
True.

UM looked horrible almost start to finish. They looked worse than a 13 seed.

On the other hand this was one of our better games all year and at the right time. Lots of contributions all around. Some of what we did made UM look bad.

Hopefully we bottled some of today for GM tomorrow.

Not to slight UR's performance today - especially Tyler's, as they did what was needed to be done - but that Umass effort was the worst performance I can remember by any A10 team in decades. Absolutely abysmal. A better offensive team than Richmond would have been up 30 at half, not 12. UR only cracked 50 at what, the 8 minute mark? Not exactly lighting it up - tons of awful turnovers especially early but man UMass was barely trying and couldn't string 2 passes together at times. Frank Martin is a clown, the UMass fans were right about him.

Marcus is not a PG - I understand the need for someone else at PG with Dji out, but he's pretty careless at times, both with passing and over-aggression (mostly bc he lacks a killer handle.)

Tyler played whole first half - understandable, and sure could have gotten another 2m breather in 2nd half, but I'd rather him get a breather just before the 8m timeout of the first half to be ready for end of half situations, as yet another disastrous end to a half, particularly post-timeout with just over a minute left.

GooMoos may suit up George Evans from what I hear. The mac and cheese will propel them to an easy victory tomorrow.
I'm not sure we can say much that negative about a 31 point win. UMass did win their last game over St. Bonnie, so it's not like they are completely inept. I do think they are the type of team that if you punch them in the mouth, they just roll over. Credit to us for punching first and often.

Our guys could have quit too as the end of season was pretty terrible for us, but glad we still got some fight left in us. Burton's game today reminded me of Gilly last year in the A-10 tournament. But yes, if we are to advance further, we need other guys and our guards must play better.

slow start / end to 1st half is my main concern - 4 points at the first TV timeout (15:15 mark) and end of half (zero points last 3+ minutes along with awful TOs) are absolutely the same issues as all year and will really hurt against a team that hasn't quit like UMass clearly had.

Burton should expect double teams going forward - other guys gotta step up. Quinn missed lots of bunnies again today, I still don't like him spinning baseline to his right.

Not trying to be negative but realistic about the result, how UR played and the opponent. UMass was awful, Burton was great and rest of UR was adequate. 3 guys scoring on offense won't cut it against better teams. 13 turnovers still too many for the margin UR has in this tournament.

Brooklyn, same concerns. From minute 1, umass did not look like they were interested in spending another minute with Frank the Tank. I have a feeling, that things are going to end bad for Umass and their coach - AGAIN. But as 97 points out, a win is a win - and Quinn had a solid game, set the tone early. Mason is going to be a good test. From what I saw when we just played them, they want to play for English, and they will bring the effort. We will need much better guard play becuase Mason has a few athletic/long guys that can bother Tyler, and he will need to bring the energy on top of a 34 minute game.

Just finished watching the replay on ESPN +. Umass obviously looked bad, but I disagree that they weren’t up for the game. They gave up in the second half but in the first half I thought they played hard.

Burton was obviously great. A10 tourney MFG was on display. And Quinn played very well - tough play from him today. Just wish he had better touch inside. Didn’t notice Nelson at all until the last 5 minutes (not necessarily a bad thing), but hope his scoring spurt to end the game can provide a confidence boost.

If we can get this Tyler, tough Quinn, and A10 tournament MFG, we have a chance tomorrow.

I'm sure we were part of UMass' bad play. I thought being away from home might be too. But...
I think they were 6-0 non-home OOC but only 1-8 in A10.

Reactions: urfan1 and SpiderK
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT